PDA

View Full Version : Melky Cabrera

Sargeant79
03-25-2009, 03:50 PM
Just stirring the pot a little bit more...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9379176/Notes:-Yanks-appear-open-to-moving-Cabrera?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=49

Ken Rosenthal is saying Cabrera is on the block and seems to think he might make sense for us. He's probably a better offensive option than we have now. I have no idea what kind of defense he plays though...

Discuss.

spawn
03-25-2009, 03:52 PM
If it isn't a salary for salary swap, KW won't even think about it. I'm not sure he'd be an upgrade either.

doublem23
03-25-2009, 03:57 PM
He makes 110% sense for us.

dickallen15
03-25-2009, 04:07 PM
Perfect sense. Low OBP, low BA low SB pct. He'll fit right in the CF mix.

SoxGirl4Life
03-25-2009, 04:07 PM
I think Ken Rosenthal always thinks we're in on something.

KenBerryGrab
03-25-2009, 04:25 PM
He's a crappy centerfielder.

jabrch
03-25-2009, 04:29 PM
If we could get 2005/2006 Melky, then maybe...but 2008 Melky was no better than what we had. I think the league adapted to him quickly.

spawn
03-25-2009, 04:29 PM
He's a crappy centerfielder.
Then he's a perfect acquisition.

russ99
03-25-2009, 04:31 PM
Yeah, but he can hit, to all fields. And while he's a mediocre fielder he has a cannon for an arm.

He's better that what we have in house, but not by a lot. Depends on what we'd have to give up. MacDougal and a prospect?

PaleHoser
03-25-2009, 04:55 PM
He's an upgrade over Wise and Owens. A change of scenery might help him.

And I'll add the obligatory Coop'll fix him.

I just don't know if the Sox have anything the Yankees need in return. I wish we could have got him for Swisher straight up.

cws05champ
03-25-2009, 05:00 PM
If we could get 2005/2006 Melky, then maybe...but 2008 Melky was no better than what we had. I think the league adapted to him quickly.
Classic buy low move by KW if you ask me...with hope for upside.

Chez
03-25-2009, 05:05 PM

Agree. When he first came up, I thought he was going to be a stud.

dwalteroo
03-25-2009, 05:07 PM

Totally agree.

CWSpalehoseCWS
03-25-2009, 05:14 PM
I doubt we actually get him though. The Sox seem set with what they have. Anderson will make the team no matter what with either Wise or Owens platooning with him. Hopefully, Getz will leadoff (and do a good job) so we can get rid of both Wise and Owens and carry Kroeger.

oeo
03-25-2009, 05:24 PM
If it isn't a salary for salary swap, KW won't even think about it. I'm not sure he'd be an upgrade either.

What he did in 2006-2007 is what people hope Anderson can do. He didn't have the greatest year last year, but he's also only 24 and had a pretty solid year in 2007.

Tragg
03-25-2009, 05:25 PM
If he buys low.
Williams usually rarely buys low on established major leaguers

oeo
03-25-2009, 05:27 PM
If he buys low.
Williams usually rarely buys low on established major leaguers

Melky isn't exactly established. He had a couple of solid years and a not so good one.

However, I do think the Yankees would be asking for too much. He is still pretty young, and has a couple years to back himself up, even if 2008 was pretty miserable.

dwalteroo
03-25-2009, 05:36 PM
Quoting: http://riveraveblues.com/2009/03/melky-on-the-block-2-9437/

"During Grapefruit League play this year, he is at .295/.392/.409."

Lip Man 1
03-25-2009, 05:57 PM
There was speculation this past off season from a Yankee beat writer on XM that he or Cano could be headed to the Sox.

But for what it's worth, the Sox beat writer I interviewed last night said that at this time Kenny does not have permission to add payroll so it would have to be a straight player for player, salaries equal swap.

Lip

Sargeant79
03-25-2009, 06:02 PM
What is Cabrera's salary like this year?

oeo
03-25-2009, 06:15 PM
What is Cabrera's salary like this year?

He signed a 1-year, $1.4 million contract to avoid arbitration in January.

That wouldn't be adding much, but who knows how strict the payroll is.

thedudeabides
03-25-2009, 06:18 PM
There was speculation this past off season from a Yankee beat writer on XM that he or Cano could be headed to the Sox.

But for what it's worth, the Sox beat writer I interviewed last night said that at this time Kenny does not have permission to add payroll so it would have to be a straight player for player, salaries equal swap.

Lip

I think he's signed this year for 1.4 million, so it may not be difficult to free up the cash.

Tragg
03-25-2009, 06:26 PM
Melky isn't exactly established. He had a couple of solid years and a not so good one.

However, I do think the Yankees would be asking for too much. He is still pretty young, and has a couple years to back himself up, even if 2008 was pretty miserable.
Okay - point is, Williams buys low on prospects that appear to have flamed out, and aging veterans. Swisher, Javy---->premium price.
How Cabrera fits- I don't know, but I agree that right now, we won't give much for him.

oeo
03-25-2009, 06:38 PM
Okay - point is, Williams buys low on prospects that appear to have flamed out, and aging veterans. Swisher, Javy---->premium price.
How Cabrera fits- I don't know, but I agree that right now, we won't give much for him.

Melky fits in that category. Not exactly a prospect anymore, but that's about the only difference.

Tragg
03-25-2009, 10:06 PM
Melky fits in that category. Not exactly a prospect anymore, but that's about the only difference.
Well then- send them MacDougal, and some other stiff; that plus Stewart should do the trick.

Madscout
03-25-2009, 10:14 PM
Well then- send them MacDougal, and some other stiff; that plus Stewart should do the trick.
We would have to pay them to take MacDougal at this point.:(:

oeo
03-25-2009, 10:15 PM

Yup, since Kenny has pulled off so many of those. :rolleyes:

champagne030
03-25-2009, 10:29 PM
We would have to pay them to take MacDougal at this point.:(:

MacDougal actually has a 16.2K/9 during ST. He's still wild with a 1.5 WHIP, but he should make the 25 man before Marquez and if they're looking for a longer man then it should be Egbert or Broadway over Marquez.

scarsofthumper
03-26-2009, 12:28 AM
Can he wear #18?

cards press box
03-26-2009, 04:41 AM
Just stirring the pot a little bit more...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9379176/Notes:-Yanks-appear-open-to-moving-Cabrera?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=49

Ken Rosenthal is saying Cabrera is on the block and seems to think he might make sense for us. He's probably a better offensive option than we have now. I have no idea what kind of defense he plays though...

Discuss.

Rosenthal also suggests that Gary Mathews, Jr. is a possibility for the Sox, provided that the Angels pay most of the salary on the three remaining years on his contract. I think Reggie Willits makes more sense for the Sox but, as Willits is apparently not yet out of options, I can also see where the Angels might want to hold onto him as a future leadoff man and move Mathews out of their crowded outfield.

Mike MacDougal for Melky Cabrera would be a "change of scenery" deal for both teams and would actually net the Sox some payroll savings. Who knows, both might flourish with a new club. Given MacDougal's spring and the uncertainty in the Yanks' bullpen, New York might take a chance on MacDougal, particularly if the Melky Cabrera market is not bullish. Remember, the Yanks are a team that once acquired Kyle Farnsworth to stabilze their bullpen.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
03-26-2009, 05:19 AM
Rosenthal also suggests that Gary Mathews, Jr. is a possibility for the Sox, provided that the Angels pay most of the salary on the three remaining years on his contract. I think Reggie Willits makes more sense for the Sox but, as Willits is apparently not yet out of options, I can also see where the Angels might want to hold onto him as a future leadoff man and move Mathews out of their crowded outfield.

Yuck. No thanks on GMJ. Even if the Angels take on the bulk of that contract, I'd still think the Sox would be paying too much for him. The way his numbers crashed off the table (conveniently, right after he signed that big-money contract) is a huge red flag.

My stance is, platoon Anderson and Wise, and ship Owens to some deserted island in the South Pacific. I don't see why everyone is so dead-set against Wise...Wise and Konerko were pretty much the only two hitters who showed up in the playoffs, and aside from that late-season slump, he was a solid player for us in the season as well. I'm not saying he's the answer (as he clearly is not), but hasn't he at least earned the opportunity to be the 4th OF this year?

I want a solid, constant starter in CF as much as the next guy, but let's face it...it likely will not happen this year, unless KW can pull some strings at the deadline (and if there are any good CF'ers available at that time). For now, we pretty much have to make do with what we have.

Mike MacDougal for Melky Cabrera would be a "change of scenery" deal for both teams and would actually net the Sox some payroll savings. Who knows, both might flourish with a new club. Given MacDougal's spring and the uncertainty in the Yanks' bullpen, New York might take a chance on MacDougal, particularly if the Melky Cabrera market is not bullish. Remember, the Yanks are a team that once acquired Kyle Farnsworth to stabilze their bullpen.

If MacDougal caved under the pressure of playing for the Sox (which is the lesser of the big baseball market in Chicago), I can only imagine how he'll perform playing for the most scrutinized team in MLB.

Not an impossibility by any means, and if we were to get that trade done, I will annoint KW as GM-of-the-Century for not only trading the untradeable wonder, but saving money and getting an actual MLB position player for him. Realistically, though, I don't think the Yankees are THAT desperate for a #6 reliever.

Lillian
03-26-2009, 11:06 AM
I've said it before, but I'd prefer the guy who is making Melky expendable, Brett Gardner. Now there is a player with the skills for which the Sox are searching. He's young and unproven, but he is a potential true lead off hitter. He also plays a good CF with great speed, good jumps, but does have only an average arm.

He's only a year older than Cabrera, and his skill set is much more suitable for our team's needs. The Yankees have Damon and Cabrera to play CF, and even Swisher if they're willing to accept his below average defense at that position. We did.

I have no idea what the Sox could afford to give the Yankees that they would want in return for Gardner. However, he makes much more sense than Melky Cabrera.

DSpivack
03-26-2009, 11:16 AM
I've said it before, but I'd prefer the guy who is making Melky expendable, Brett Gardner. Now there is a player with the skills for which the Sox are searching. He's young and unproven, but he is a potential true lead off hitter. He also plays a good CF with great speed, good jumps, but does have only an average arm.

He's only a year older than Cabrera, and his skill set is much more suitable for our team's needs. The Yankees have Damon and Cabrera to play CF, and even Swisher if they're willing to accept his below average defense at that position. We did.

I have no idea what the Sox could afford to give the Yankees that they would want in return for Gardner. However, he makes much more sense than Melky Cabrera.

But Melky is on the block because the Yankees want to keep and play Gardner. I don't think they'd be very willing to deal him.

oeo
03-26-2009, 11:34 AM
But Melky is on the block because the Yankees want to keep and play Gardner. I don't think they'd be very willing to deal him.

I don't think the Sox would be very willing to deal for him. Too much of a risk involved there, he could just become another bad outfielder to add to our list. Watching him play last year, something just screamed that he was a fringe, fourth outfielder type guy. At least with Cabrera, you have a couple years to judge his talent off of.