PDA

View Full Version : Beckham to Birmingham

KyWhiSoxFan
03-25-2009, 01:02 PM
The Sox announced today they are sending Gordon Beckham to AA Birmingham to play short. Here is Trib article.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/03/white-sox-send-beckham-to-double-a-to-play-shortstop.html

JermaineDye05
03-25-2009, 01:33 PM
Pretty much what was expected. Steve Stone said a week or two ago to keep an eye on Beckham in the minors (he assumed he wasn't making the team), the second he switches positions be it 2B or 3B we can assume that the Sox are planning on bringing him up.

SoxGirl4Life
03-25-2009, 01:50 PM
Good. that's where he can get the most at bats and get ready for the big club. I wish him luck!

Britt Burns
03-25-2009, 01:50 PM
We'll be seeing Beckham back soon enough...perhaps even by August/September if the Sox aren't in it. Let's hope he puts up some big numbers a B-ham (which is a tough park to hit in).

UofCSoxFan
03-25-2009, 01:52 PM
We'll be seeing Beckham back soon enough...perhaps even by August/September if the Sox aren't in it. Let's hope he puts up some big numbers a B-ham (which is a tough park to hit in).

He'll be up sooneri if Viciedo or Getz falter or if there is an injury to Alexei. Keep in mind Longoria started in the minors last year and was brought up after the deadline for the callup to count a year against his arbitration.

HomeFish
03-25-2009, 02:00 PM
He's where he belongs. Unlike Anderson or Getz.

jabrch
03-25-2009, 02:03 PM
He'll be up sooneri if Viciedo or Getz falter or if there is an injury to Alexei. Keep in mind Longoria started in the minors last year and was brought up after the deadline for the callup to count a year against his arbitration.

That's not a great reason to bring him or not - because if he is good, he will be a Super Two anyhow. Longoria signed a big long deal - but he'd definitely be Super 2.

johnnyg83
03-25-2009, 02:07 PM
That's not a great reason to bring him or not - because if he is good, he will be a Super Two anyhow. Longoria signed a big long deal - but he'd definitely be Super 2.

Jabrch, can you enlightened me on what a super 2 is?

Rocky Soprano
03-25-2009, 02:12 PM

Viciedo is in AAA.

DirtySox
03-25-2009, 02:14 PM
I'm assuming he meant Fields.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
03-25-2009, 02:31 PM

Q: When does a player become eligible for salary arbitration?

A: A player with three or more years of service, but less than six years, may file for salary arbitration. In addition, a player can be classified as a "Super Two" and be eligible for arbitration with less than three years of service. A player with at least two but less than three years of Major League service shall be eligible for salary arbitration if he has accumulated at least 86 days of service during the immediately preceding season and he ranks in the top 17 percent in total service in the class of Players who have at least two but less than three years of Major League service, however accumulated, but with at least 86 days of service accumulated during the immediately preceding season.

So essentially, if a sophomore player is ridiculously good (like Longoria would be if the Rays hadn't bought out his arbitration years) they can be eligible to file arbitration without having to wait the required 3 years.

jabrch
03-25-2009, 02:43 PM

A: A player with three or more years of service, but less than six years, may file for salary arbitration. In addition, a player can be classified as a "Super Two" and be eligible for arbitration with less than three years of service. A player with at least two but less than three years of Major League service shall be eligible for salary arbitration if he has accumulated at least 86 days of service during the immediately preceding season and he ranks in the top 17 percent in total service in the class of Players who have at least two but less than three years of Major League service, however accumulated, but with at least 86 days of service accumulated during the immediately preceding season.

So essentially, if a sophomore player is ridiculously good (like Longoria would be if the Rays hadn't bought out his arbitration years) they can be eligible to file arbitration without having to wait the required 3 years.

Sure...see above :)

whitesox901
03-25-2009, 02:50 PM
kinda what I figured was going to happen, can't wait till this kid is a regular

johnnyg83
03-25-2009, 02:51 PM
I thought Floyd was our Super Two ... :smile:

UofCSoxFan
03-25-2009, 02:55 PM
I'm assuming he meant Fields.

Yeah I did...thanks.

dickallen15
03-25-2009, 03:01 PM

I don't think it has anything to do with performance, just service time, so if you are in the top 17% in service time of players between 2 and 3 years and had at least 86 days the previous season, you would be a super 2.

veeter
03-25-2009, 03:05 PM
Definitely the right move. Good luck Gordon.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
03-25-2009, 03:06 PM
You're right. I mis-interpreted the 'service' part of the rule as 'performance'.

My bad.

soxinem1
03-25-2009, 03:15 PM
Hmmm, the same as what was done with the guy in my signature. We all know how that turned out....... VERY WELL!!

SCCWS
03-25-2009, 03:42 PM
Longoria was sent down to AAA , then recalled. Why was Beckham sent to AA? I would not assume he will get called up this season. I think he would have been sent to AAA if he was that close to major league ready.

Randar68
03-25-2009, 03:45 PM

That's a tough park to hit HR's in, but for line-drive guys like Beckham, it should provide a good opportunity for extra-base-hits and more ground to drop in hits here and there.

Randar68
03-25-2009, 03:48 PM
Longoria was sent down to AAA , then recalled. Why was Beckham sent to AA? I would not assume he will get called up this season. I think he would have been sent to AAA if he was that close to major league ready.

Why would you skip him the level? Good competition in the Southern League and it will be a good test for him to continue his strong spring into the season. If he is raking in June, he will be either in AAA or the majors at that point (usually after the draft they move a bunch of guys around).

Unless Getz really struggles, I see no reason to move him any faster than necessary. Give him 200 AB's in AA at the very least, not going to hurt anything.

CashMan
03-25-2009, 04:02 PM
Why would you skip him the level? Good competition in the Southern League and it will be a good test for him to continue his strong spring into the season. If he is raking in June, he will be either in AAA or the majors at that point (usually after the draft they move a bunch of guys around).

Unless Getz really struggles, I see no reason to move him any faster than necessary. Give him 200 AB's in AA at the very least, not going to hurt anything.

I was on the bandwagon for starting Beckham opening day, but I want to see what Getz is going to do. I was excited to see him last year, until he was hurt, and I would love to see what he will do this year.

tm1119
03-25-2009, 04:24 PM

AA more often than not has better pitching than AAA. A lot of AAA pitchers tend to be washed up vets on their last legs who throw mostly junk. AA is where he will see all of the top pitching prospects that will have more MLB like stuff than most of what he will see in AAA.

Railsplitter
03-25-2009, 07:57 PM
If Getz thrives at second, and Beckham learns to play another position well enough to make the Sox, so much the better.