PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Sowers

jabrch
03-24-2009, 04:44 PM
SUCKS

Bad news - he got sent down to AAA. I was hoping he'd win a spot in the Indians rotation.

The good news is that Laffey and Jackson aren't much better.

PaleHoser
03-25-2009, 12:53 PM
Laffey's been farmed out too. The great news is that Cleveland is counting Carl Pavano to be their Number 3 starter.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2009/news/story?id=4014932

EnglishChiSox
03-25-2009, 12:56 PM
We'll probably get Lee and Carmona in every series we play them now you've posted this. :(:

munchman33
03-25-2009, 01:26 PM
He'll be called back up the third day of the season when Pavano decides he's not ready to pitch yet.

whitesox901
03-25-2009, 01:46 PM
The Indians rotation in general isn't very good, Lee had a great season last year, but look at everyone else, Carmona's pitched in three seasons now, only one with an ERA below 5, Povano is a queston mark, plus Sowers, Laffey, Jackson and Lewis are young but seem to can't find it. Also when Jake Westbrook comes back, you don't know how well he will pitch. I'm not worried about Cleveland.

EDIT: Lewis had a good year last year, but it was only 4 starts

Lip Man 1
03-25-2009, 04:53 PM
ESPN said today Cleveland announced Anthony Reyes and one other player have made the starting rotation. Sorry I don't remember the other person's name.

Lip

oeo
03-25-2009, 04:58 PM
We'll probably get Lee and Carmona in every series we play them now you've posted this. :(:

Cliff Lee already has the best of his career behind him.

munchman33
03-25-2009, 05:49 PM
Cliff Lee already has the best of his career behind him.

People forget he almost won the Cy Young in 2005 as well. Spending a year in AAA to get his head back on straight and then doing it doesn't make him a candidate to regress.

oeo
03-25-2009, 05:53 PM
People forget he almost won the Cy Young in 2005 as well. Spending a year in AAA to get his head back on straight and then doing it doesn't make him a candidate to regress.

Almost won it? He got in fourth place with 8 points, Buehrle was right behind him with 5 (which is a crock of ****, by the way...Lee didn't have a better season in any way, shape, or form). Hell, even Garland got a point.

If you think he's ever going to come close to his 2008 numbers again, you're nuts. He's not a bad pitcher like he was in 2007, but he's definitely not going to become a Cy Young contender every year at the age of 30.

cws05champ
03-25-2009, 07:19 PM
He'll be called back up the third day of the season when Pavano decides he's not ready to pitch yet.
But...but...but I thought Jeremy Sowers was going to be great this year? He was finally going to figure it out.

oeo
03-25-2009, 07:20 PM
But...but...but I thought Jeremy Sowers was going to be great this year? He was finally going to figure it out.

Oh yeah, Munch does have a boner over this guy, doesn't he?

whitesox901
03-25-2009, 11:56 PM
Indians rotation seems to be:

1. Cliff Lee
2. Fausto Carmona
3. Carl Pavano
4. Scott Lewis
5. Anthony Reyes

Then Sowers and Laffey in AAA as the back-ups, I'm not really impressed by this Indians team in 2009 that seems to be favored a lot. No depth in pitching, got a decent line-up though, but Like I said, I can't see the pitching holding up

Linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2009/news/story?id=4014932)

NLaloosh
03-26-2009, 09:47 AM
Agreed. With this rotation the Sox should be able to finish ahead of them.

Lee and Carmona will be tough. But, Pavano was never good. Reyes has ability but has never pitched well for two months in a row. Lewis, Sowers and Laffey ? Too much can't be expected from them.

The bullpen is better and might be quite good. We'll see.

I certainly don't see where the Sox don't have a good chance to win the division.

thedudeabides
03-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Agreed. With this rotation the Sox should be able to finish ahead of them.

Lee and Carmona will be tough. But, Pavano was never good. Reyes has ability but has never pitched well for two months in a row. Lewis, Sowers and Laffey ? Too much can't be expected from them.

The bullpen is better and might be quite good. We'll see.

I certainly don't see where the Sox don't have a good chance to win the division.

Agreed. That rotation has a lot of question marks. Let the experts keep picking them.

jabrch
03-26-2009, 11:34 AM
Agreed. That rotation has a lot of question marks. Let the experts keep picking them.

Those experts picked Detroit last year...how'd that work out for them? Not saying Cleveland will be Detroit...but neither team has a rotation that projects to be particularly good.

whitesox901
03-27-2009, 02:09 AM
Those experts picked Detroit last year...how'd that work out for them? Not saying Cleveland will be Detroit...but neither team has a rotation that projects to be particularly good.

Agreed, they only has 2 reliable starters and an iffy bullpen, I can't see Detroit's pen, who's pretty much had the same guys that were there for the 2007 collapse and the 2008 cellar dweller team

jabrch
05-11-2009, 12:19 PM
Happy Jeremy Sowers Day on Tuesday!!!!!

Ya never know how it may or may not work out, but facing Pavano and Sowers back - to - back should be exciting to a team struggling to hit.

Oblong
05-11-2009, 12:25 PM
Outside of his first game disaster, 9 ER in 1 IP, Pavano's ERA is 4.15.

Just get in their bullpen. It's hideous. Matt Herges? he pitched yesterday and I recall picking him up on a fantasy team like 7 years ago. I had to search to make sure it was the same one.

palehozenychicty
05-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Mark Shapiro is the best GM in our division. The Sporting News said so in 2005.

Anyway, Sowers has been up and down for a little while. The jury is out. He ain't good.

DumpJerry
05-11-2009, 12:36 PM
Outside of his first game disaster, 9 ER in 1 IP, Pavano's ERA is 4.15.

Just get in their bullpen. It's hideous. Matt Herges? he pitched yesterday and I recall picking him up on a fantasy team like 7 years ago. I had to search to make sure it was the same one.
Speaking the Tribe Bullpen, that Wood guy is not lighting up their world. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=3821)

SoxGirl4Life
05-11-2009, 12:37 PM
But but... the Indians are the best team in the division!!

doublem23
05-11-2009, 12:40 PM
Happy Jeremy Sowers Day on Tuesday!!!!!

Ya never know how it may or may not work out, but facing Pavano and Sowers back - to - back should be exciting to a team struggling to hit.

I am relieved to no longer have to face sure thing HOF pitchers like Matt Harrison and Vincente Padilla.

/wipes brow

jabrch
05-12-2009, 09:06 PM
As discussed - Jeremy Sowers still sucks.

jabrch
05-23-2009, 03:06 PM
Sowers called back up. Unfortunately we are about 6 weeks away from seeing the Tribe again. Too bad.

jabrch
06-04-2009, 03:37 PM
Sowers called back up. Unfortunately we are about 6 weeks away from seeing the Tribe again. Too bad.

Just a reminder - Saturday is again, Jeremy Sowers day. Mark your calendars and load up the fireworks...

khan
06-04-2009, 04:44 PM
Just a reminder - Saturday is again, Jeremy Sowers day. Mark your calendars and load up the fireworks...
He'll probably make this craptacular lineup look as crappy as they did today. But it's OK, it's not Walker's fault. Nor is it Ozzie's fault. Nor is it KW's fault.

Practice this line, because this team and this fandom has NO room to talk smack about ANY pitcher, Jenny Finch, included:

"You've just got to tip your cap to that guy."

jabrch
06-28-2009, 10:22 PM
For all those interested, Wednesday is, yet again, Jeremy Sowers day. Jeremy has been pitching better as of late...but he still sucks.

khan
06-29-2009, 08:26 AM
For all those interested, Wednesday is, yet again, Jeremy Sowers day. Jeremy has been pitching better as of late...but he still sucks.
He may suck, but this lineup sucks, too. If memory serves, Jeremy Sowers did have a quality start against the SOX on 6 June.

And if a craptacular pitcher like Sowers can hold this team to a quality start, then we as a fandom have no room for trash-talking.

jabrch
06-29-2009, 09:24 AM
He may suck, but this lineup sucks, too.

That's untrue.

And if a craptacular pitcher like Sowers can hold this team to a quality start, then we as a fandom have no room for trash-talking.

So I shouldn't trash talk a crappy pitcher with a crappy ERA close to 6 in the past three years combined...but it's more than OK for you, a Sox fan I assume, to trash talk the Sox? We have had struggles, but this lineup doesn't suck. It is a very talented lineup that can score runs in bunches. It has speed and power. Sure - it also has holes - but that's true of nearly all teams short of those with 130mm payrolls - and even some of those teams have holes.

You are a hypocrite.

hawkjt
06-29-2009, 10:15 AM
Ok, Carl Pavano shut down the Sox last time..but now we have seen him so they should get to him tonite,right?
Sowers,Lee and Pavano are all guys the Sox have seen recently...recipie for good offense,right?

Sox also get the hotshot from KC again...will we ever miss Hawk's fav when we play them?

khan
06-29-2009, 11:20 AM
That's untrue.
Actually, it is. Look at the numbers. Look at the (in)consistency.

So I shouldn't trash talk a crappy pitcher with a crappy ERA close to 6 in the past three years combined...but it's more than OK for you, a Sox fan I assume, to trash talk the Sox?
I think you misplaced the definition of "trash talk." I am not impugning the White Sox's offense. I am only stating a fact. Hereto fore, this team's offense has not been very good. I state as much because the results have not been good. Or at a minimum, that they have not been consistent. Do you disagree? If so, how? How have the White Sox's offense impressed you hereto fore? What numbers can you point to that suggest that we should be impressed with the offense? The frequency of getting shut out? The team's OBP? The team's runs scored?

We have had struggles, but this lineup doesn't suck.
Based on the results, yes, the lineup does suck right now. While I am a fan, and I want the team to succeed, I can also see the team relative to its foes. I can compare this team to others.

It is a very talented lineup that can score runs in bunches. It has speed and power. Sure - it also has holes - but that's true of nearly all teams short of those with 130mm payrolls - and even some of those teams have holes.
Talent and $2.25 will get you a ride on the CTA. This is a business where only results matter. The results have not been good. They have not been consistent. Do you disagree?

They do not engrave on the Commissioners' Trophy a team's "talent level," only the name of the team that won. In other words, the team that achieved the best results, not the team that had a lot of "talent."

You are a hypocrite.
Now, now. There are no reasons for you to finger-point. Feel free to be a polyanna if you must. But the numbers do not lie in this case.

SoxGirl4Life
07-01-2009, 09:31 AM
Its Jeremy Sowers day (again) today! :gulp:

jabrch
07-01-2009, 10:12 AM
Its Jeremy Sowers day (again) today! :gulp:

Happy Jeremy Sowers Day to you and yours!

We ought to beat this guy like a drum. Will it happen? Who knows? But I like our chances!

khan
07-01-2009, 11:05 AM
Happy Jeremy Sowers Day to you and yours!
Thank you. And a Belated Happy Birthday to you.

We ought to beat this guy like a drum. Will it happen? Who knows? But I like our chances!
Oh, I agree. But this lineup didn't exactly punish him in their last meeting. I prefer to wait until after our SOX mete out the punishment before trash-talking Sowers.

spawn
07-01-2009, 11:09 AM
Oh, I agree. But this lineup didn't exactly punish him in their last meeting. I prefer to wait until after our SOX mete out the punishment before trash-talking Sowers.
Our lineup was held scoreless for over 22 innings by Cliff Lee, and we beat him like he stole something last night. :shrug:

doublem23
07-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Our lineup was held scoreless for over 22 innings by Cliff Lee, and we beat him like he stole something last night. :shrug:

Bingo, our bats are hot right now. If I were Sowers, I wouldn't want to come to the ballpark tonight. :cool:

jabrch
07-01-2009, 11:26 AM
I prefer to wait until after our SOX mete out the punishment before trash-talking Sowers.

You stick with trash talking the Sox and telling us how the offense sucks. I'll trash talk the pitcher with the near 6 ERA.

khan
07-01-2009, 11:33 AM
You stick with trash talking the Sox and telling us how the offense sucks. I'll trash talk the pitcher with the near 6 ERA.

Exactly what have I posted that is "trash talking?" Here, I'll help you out: "disparaging or boastful language used esp. to demoralize or intimidate opponents: trash-talking in the locker room."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/trash%20talking

Exactly what did I state that was boastful, or used to demoralize or intimidate opponents?

khan
07-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Bingo, our bats are hot right now. If I were Sowers, I wouldn't want to come to the ballpark tonight. :cool:

Sure. But we've also seen this before this season: The SOX are on a hot streak, and have a chance to sweep a series, but often they haven't. Or, the SOX had been hitting well, only to make a craptacular pitcher look like Cy Young.

Even Ozzie has said as much. We need to see consistency before we start making playoff ticket purchases.

jabrch
07-01-2009, 11:37 AM
Exactly what have I posted that is "trash talking?" Here, I'll help you out: "disparaging or boastful language used esp. to demoralize or intimidate opponents: trash-talking in the locker room."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/trash%20talking

Exactly what did I state that was boastful, or used to demoralize or intimidate opponents?

You said the Sox offense sucks. I say Jeremy Sowers sucks. Seems pretty simliar to me.

Go at it dude. Have a blast. Enjoy talking about how much we suck. I hope that's what you find fun. You are good at it. Really...you are very good at trash talking the the Sox. I'm going to go back to talking about Sowers suckiness and uncross our paths here. Doesn't seem overly productive to me. You have your opinion about how much we suck, and I don't care.

khan
07-01-2009, 11:49 AM
You said the Sox offense sucks. I say Jeremy Sowers sucks. Seems pretty simliar to me.
Actually, "trash talking," according to our friends over @ dictionary.com reference opponents. It would appear to me that you're still struggling with this.

Go at it dude. Have a blast. Enjoy talking about how much we suck. I hope that's what you find fun. You are good at it. Really...you are very good at trash talking the the Sox.
Again, I don't think you understand what "trash talking" is.

I'm going to go back to talking about Sowers suckiness and uncross our paths here. Doesn't seem overly productive to me. You have your opinion about how much we suck, and I don't care.
OK, "dude." Have fun being a polyanna. Sure, we're on a hot streak, but we've seen this movie before. I prefer to see good, consistent results before I hold a parade. I prefer to respect opponents, no matter how much they suck. I prefer to live in reality, in that this is STILL a team that is in 2nd place, and merely 1 game above .500, WITH an offense that has not been one of the better ones in the AL to this point.

jabrch
07-01-2009, 09:23 PM
I hope you all enjoyed Jeremy Sowers Day as much as me. Unless he gets sent to the minors, we will get to celebrate Jeremy Sowers Day next weeek when the Indians come to USCF! Happy Day!

drewcifer
07-01-2009, 09:35 PM
I'm related to this guy. I think I mentioned it once...

*Edit - Yep, I did (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2226365&postcount=199).

Thanks, cuz!

jabrch
07-04-2009, 11:27 PM
For those interested, Tuesday will once again be Jeremy Sowers day. Buehrle vs Sowers. All signs point to a very good day! I'm going to spend all of Jeremy Sowers day celebrating what I hope will be a White Sox winner! I hope you do the same.

jabrch
07-06-2009, 01:25 AM
I'm getting that warm and tingly feeling inside me. Maybe it is Jeremy Sowers Day...or maybe it is gas.

jabrch
07-07-2009, 09:11 AM
It's here.......

Craig Grebeck
07-07-2009, 09:13 AM
It's here.......
I've been drinking since 7 AM in anticipation.

cws05champ
07-07-2009, 09:14 AM
Sowers would push Contreras, Richard and Colon out of the Rotation if he were on the Sox.

jabrch
07-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Sowers would push Contreras, Richard and Colon out of the Rotation if he were on the Sox.

Sowers wouldn't come out of the pen for my 11 year old nephew's little league team.

soxnut1018
07-07-2009, 03:28 PM
I am going to have Scout Seats for the first time tonight. I am SO excited and it's Jeremy Sowers Day!:bandance::bandance::bandance:

jabrch
07-07-2009, 09:55 PM
I am going to have Scout Seats for the first time tonight. I am SO excited and it's Jeremy Sowers Day!:bandance::bandance::bandance:

Someone had a VERY nice Jeremy Sowers Day!

In your honor, I have written my first ever Jeremy Sowers Day poem...please accept and enjoy.

Jeremy Sowers is very bad.
We clubbed his ass - I am glad.
Jeremy Sowers is really sucky.
Either that, or the Sox offense was very lucky.
Jeremy couldn't win this game.
We pounded him - because he is lame.
His stuff is flat. It has no bite.
I wish we saw him every night.
For if we faced him every day, in the World Series, we would play!

Happy JSD! I hope we get to celebrate this joyous occasion again and again!

thomas35forever
07-07-2009, 10:40 PM
Almost as fun a holiday as this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEOAh9RDIfI

doublem23
07-07-2009, 10:44 PM
We're going to need to start a new thread for Chris Perez Day.

The Immigrant
07-07-2009, 11:55 PM
Jeremy Sowers has 4 losses against a single team - the White Sox - before the All-Star Break. That must at least tie some kind of a record.

jabrch
07-08-2009, 10:13 AM
We have 6 more games vs Cleveland. I'm hoping we get to see Jeremy Sowers in both of those serieses - if he still is on the roster.

Here's hoping for Jeremy Sowers Day in August and September! :gulp:

jabrch
07-09-2009, 09:59 AM
As the self-appointed organizer of the Jeremy Sowers Day Festivities, I regret to inform you that Jeremy Sowers Day festivities for the Sox Fans will be canceled until further notice. For those interested in continuing to monitor the trials and tribulations of our hero, get your Columbus Clippers All-Access Pass. I'm hoping he comes back sometime soon. I mean...not that hitting Laffey and Huff bothers me - but ya know...

jabrch
08-01-2009, 09:07 PM
While we didn't forsee this a few weeks ago, unless things change, friday will be yet another installment of Jeremy Sowers Day! I can't wait. Get the big bats ready - meat is coming to town!

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-01-2009, 09:35 PM
While we didn't forsee this a few weeks ago, unless things change, friday will be yet another installment of Jeremy Sowers Day! I can't wait. Get the big bats ready - meat is coming to town!

Yay! I'll take the day off work and celebrate this momentous occasion!

Jeremy Sowers bless us, everyone!

SoxGirl4Life
08-07-2009, 06:33 AM
Its that time again :D:

Sowers is 0-4 against us, with a 6.75 ERA in 21.75 innings this year. We are batting .322 against him with 28 hits, 6 of them HR.

Happy Jeremy Sowers' Day and here's to many more :gulp:

DumpJerry
08-07-2009, 07:22 AM
Hold off on the celebrations. There is something called the Law of Averages. There is also Karma. There is also the blind squirrel finding the nut sometimes......

spawn
08-07-2009, 07:24 AM
Hold off on the celebrations. There is something called the Law of Averages. There is also Karma. There is also the blind squirrel finding the nut sometimes......
Yep. Sowers has actually pitched well since he's been brought back up. This whole series makes me nervous.

DumpJerry
08-07-2009, 07:51 AM
....let's not count our chickens until after the game.....

spawn
08-07-2009, 07:53 AM
Isn't it "Let's not count our chickens before they've eaten"?

Irishsoxfan
08-07-2009, 08:06 AM
Isn't it "Let's not count our chickens before they've eaten"?

I think it's "hatched"

spawn
08-07-2009, 09:12 AM
I think it's "hatched"
I know. It was a joke.

jabrch
08-07-2009, 09:17 AM

You can't piss on my celebration. :tongue:

Glory be - today is Jeremy Sowers Day! Celebrate!!!!

BTW - I don't believe in Karma. My actions in this thread will have absolutely zero impact on how ****ty Sowers is or is not.

gobears1987
08-07-2009, 09:26 AM
Jeremy Sowers Day is one of my favorite days of the year.

DumpJerry
08-07-2009, 10:32 AM

BTW - I don't believe in Karma. My actions in this thread will have absolutely zero impact on how ****ty Sowers is or is not.
If he kills us today, I will hunt you down. I will kill you using slow and painful methods. I will turn all of your family members into Cub fans.

I know where you sit at Sox games.....

jabrch
08-07-2009, 10:56 AM
if he kills us today, i will hunt you down. I will kill you using slow and painful methods. I will turn all of your family members into cub fans.

I know where you sit at sox games.....

lol...

Hitmen77
08-07-2009, 09:03 PM
This is going well today. Dump was right.

JB98
08-07-2009, 10:17 PM
This is going well today. Dump was right.

Typical. Never count your chickens before they hatch.

DumpJerry
08-07-2009, 10:27 PM

If he kills us today, I will hunt you down. I will kill you using slow and painful methods. I will turn all of your family members into Cub fans.

I know where you sit at Sox games.....

lol...
You had better be sleeping with one eye open for the next twelve years........

whitesoxfan
08-07-2009, 10:41 PM
Who couldn't have seen that coming after that post?

Happy Jeremy Sowers day!!!!

hi im skot
08-07-2009, 11:01 PM
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j146/sschaaf/roadhousesd7.jpg

jabrch
08-08-2009, 08:33 AM
If we played against Jeremy Sowers 162 times, we'd eventually go 161 - 1. A blind squirrell and a nut, sun shines on a dogs ass, a broken clock, he was due, dumb luck, whatever...

He still sucks! I still hope to celebrate more Jeremy Sowers Days! This one sucked.

DumpJerry
08-08-2009, 09:19 AM
If we played against Jeremy Sowers 162 times, we'd eventually go 161 - 1. A blind squirrell and a nut, sun shines on a dogs ass, a broken clock, he was due, dumb luck, whatever...

He still sucks! I still hope to celebrate more Jeremy Sowers Days! This one sucked.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_rBdBHhB9Xf4/SK4i-c9BKuI/AAAAAAAAA7w/ZRIUE3rckaE/s400/Michael_Corleone.jpg
It's too late, jabrch, too late.

jabrch
03-08-2010, 03:29 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, Children of all ages....

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&id=1378

Unfortunately, Jeremy has a boo boo. He may not be able to win a battle against the steaming turds in competition for the 4 spots behind Jake Westbrook (who hasn't pitched in the majors in almost 2 years).

Let's keep an eye out and hope Jeremy gets well soon so we feast on his weak sauce!!!!!

jabrch
03-31-2010, 10:34 AM
Sadly, Mr. Sowers has been put on outright waivers. He is likely to be released. I'm hoping he catches on with Minny, KC or Detroit!

WhiteSox5187
03-31-2010, 12:30 PM
Sadly, Mr. Sowers has been put on outright waivers. He is likely to be released. I'm hoping he catches on with Minny, KC or Detroit!

Coop'll fix him.

JermaineDye05
03-31-2010, 12:32 PM

Anyone but Minny. He will actually turn into a halfway decent pitcher with the Twinkies.

soltrain21
03-31-2010, 01:39 PM
What a random player to hate.

cws05champ
03-31-2010, 01:56 PM
Why? He'd be our # 3 starter right now!!!!

goon
03-31-2010, 03:32 PM

I remember posts about him, I think last season or the season before, where a few people on this board thought he was really talented. As he continued to suck, the Sowers "debate" was revisited in this thread.

Yeah...

jabrch
03-31-2010, 06:16 PM

I don't really hate him. In fact, I like facing him. I hope to see much more of him. I like facing Carl Pavano too - not as much as Jeremy Sowers...but I enjoy it.

jabrch
03-31-2010, 06:17 PM
I remember posts about him, I think last season or the season before, where a few people on this board thought he was really talented. As he continued to suck, the Sowers "debate" was revisited in this thread.

Yeah...

If I recall, it was the same few who usually are 100% sure about everything, and are usually fairly wrong...

jabrch
03-31-2010, 07:06 PM
Sowers clears waivers - sent to AAA Columbus. Hopefully he returns soon!

MtGrnwdSoxFan
03-31-2010, 09:05 PM
My candle will be lit on my windowsill until he makes his inevitable return!

Hurry back, Jeremy Sowers! The season is 56% less meaningful without you!