PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P Hall of Famer George Kell

Oblong
03-24-2009, 12:07 PM
Baseball Hall of Famer George Kell died today at his home in Arkansas. He was 86.

This is tough to swallow. Not unexpected but still sad. His hold on Tiger fans is mostly due to his broadcasting work. He had a distinct Arkansas drawl and anybody my age grew up listening to it. That was back when not every game was on TV and it was a treat by itself just to have the game on. His voice was imitated in sandlots and backyards all across the state of Michigan. In terms of living Tigers he was up there with Kaline and Harwell in how much we all loved him.

He was also an incredibly gracious man.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090324/SPORTS02/90324034/Hall+of+Fame+Tiger+George+Kell++86++dies

He played for the White Sox too.

Paulwny
03-24-2009, 02:30 PM
RIP George Kell .

veeter
03-24-2009, 02:48 PM
Oblong, I'm glad you have those GREAT memories. RIP George.

TornLabrum
03-24-2009, 04:31 PM
Kell was the Sox third baseman the year I became a fan. RIP George.

sox1970
03-24-2009, 06:12 PM
How is this guy in the Hall of Fame?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/k/kellge01.shtml

Oblong
03-24-2009, 07:50 PM
Same reason Phil Rizzuto eventually got in. Kell is obviously one of the weaker HOF members. Very good player but in his time as a broadcaster he became very friendly with a lot of the old timers and the Vets voted him in. It's probably a combo of his playing time and his broadcasting career. I remember not even realizing he played until he got in the HOF. I was about 10 when it happened.

JungleJimR
03-24-2009, 08:24 PM
Baseball Hall of Famer George Kell died today at his home in Arkansas. He was 86.

This is tough to swallow. Not unexpected but still sad. His hold on Tiger fans is mostly due to his broadcasting work. He had a distinct Arkansas drawl and anybody my age grew up listening to it. That was back when not every game was on TV and it was a treat by itself just to have the game on. His voice was imitated in sandlots and backyards all across the state of Michigan. In terms of living Tigers he was up there with Kaline and Harwell in how much we all loved him.

He was also an incredibly gracious man.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090324/SPORTS02/90324034/Hall+of+Fame+Tiger+George+Kell++86++dies

He played for the White Sox too.

Kell was the Sox third baseman the year I became a fan. RIP George.

I can't believe he was 86, my Lord!
I also remember him with the Sox but I think he was on the down side of his career then.

TornLabrum
03-24-2009, 09:50 PM
I can't believe he was 86, my Lord!
I also remember him with the Sox but I think he was on the down side of his career then.

Yeah, as I recall he had back problems or something like that by the time he got to the Sox. From all descriptions I've heard he was a pretty flashy defensive third baseman, so those who think he doesn't belong in the HOF probably don't think Maz belongs there either...or Nellie Fox for that matter.