PDA

View Full Version : This is not gonna help attendence

MattSharp
05-27-2002, 07:23 PM
Bottom line, the Sox bitch about attendence, and then a huge crowd tonight and they give up 6 runs in the first inning, these fans won't want to come back.....

GASHWOUND
05-27-2002, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
Bottom line, the Sox bitch about attendence, and then a huge crowd tonight and they give up 6 runs in the first inning, these fans won't want to come back.....

Well, I don't think the Sox sucked tonight on purpose mind you, but yeah...tonight was not good advertisement of COME SEE THE WHITE SOX!!! Damn it, finally get a huge crowd and this is what we give them...Sigh..

MattSharp
05-27-2002, 10:07 PM
Anyone know tonights paid attendence?

GASHWOUND
05-27-2002, 10:11 PM
Anyone know tonights paid attendence?

I think Hawk said around 43,000

WhiteSoxWinner
05-27-2002, 10:13 PM
43,781 to be exact

Procol Harum
05-27-2002, 10:46 PM
Icing on the cake--some guy just called the Score who was at the game and saying that he's been sitting in traffic now for 45 minutes and is hardly out of the parking lot. That performance plus a big-time traffic jam afterwards--what a wonderful night on the South Side.

As others have said on this board--there are all kinds of reasons for we afficionados why those games with crowds of 15,000 at Comiskey have a lot going for 'em--better parking spot, short lines, and out of the lot in quick measure. Pair it all with a White Sox winner and that's a pretty good baseball experience. :D:

MattSharp
05-27-2002, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
Icing on the cake--some guy just called the Score who was at the game and saying that he's been sitting in traffic now for 45 minutes and is hardly out of the parking lot. That performance plus a big-time traffic jam afterwards--what a wonderful night on the South Side.

As others have said on this board--there are all kinds of reasons for we afficionados why those games with crowds of 15,000 at Comiskey have a lot going for 'em--better parking spot, short lines, and out of the lot in quick measure. Pair it all with a White Sox winner and that's a pretty good baseball experience. :D:

Its been really clear that the parking lot is not designed for a full crowd. I don't even think it holds enough people, if everyone drove. This was not a good night for Sox PR.........

WhiteSoxWinner
05-27-2002, 11:19 PM
Better yet, the continued call from these NY fans saying that they were "hurt" by the Sox fans calling them names. WHAT DO THEY EXPECT!!! You can't come to Comiskey and expect us to say, "Hey man, nice game. Love the pinstripes." And why don't we ever hear about the drunken fans in the Bleachers in the toilet on the Northside? You can't tell me that Brewer fans aren't razed there, but no one ever calls to talk about it. (Or maybe they don't get razed seeing as most people up there don't know there is a ballgame going on.)

doublem23
05-27-2002, 11:25 PM

Its been really clear that the parking lot is not designed for a full crowd. I don't even think it holds enough people, if everyone drove. This was not a good night for Sox PR.........

I don't know about that... I managed to get out in about 10 minutes...

The big problem that's pluggin traffic up is the brige on Pershing is down, so anyone trying to get on the Northbound Ryan has to go to 43rd....

neal
05-27-2002, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
Better yet, the continued call from these NY fans saying that they were "hurt" by the Sox fans calling them names. WHAT DO THEY EXPECT!!! You can't come to Comiskey and expect us to say, "Hey man, nice game. Love the pinstripes." And why don't we ever hear about the drunken fans in the Bleachers in the toilet on the Northside? You can't tell me that Brewer fans aren't razed there, but no one ever calls to talk about it. (Or maybe they don't get razed seeing as most people up there don't know there is a ballgame going on.)

What happened? Was this on The Score?

doublem23
05-27-2002, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by neal

What happened? Was this on The Score?

Oh, I was in the upper deck, and man the sox fans were going nuts... Crap was getting thrown (well... not crap crap), obscenities were flying left and right... By the end of the game, those stupid mousepads (which didn't even have a Sox logo on them! :angry: ), were getting chucked left and right.

Hilarious.

Not that I partook in any incidents... I plead the fifth. :D:

neal
05-27-2002, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

Oh, I was in the upper deck, and man the sox fans were going nuts... Crap was getting thrown (well... not crap crap), obscenities were flying left and right... By the end of the game, those stupid mousepads (which didn't even have a Sox logo on them! :angry: ), were getting chucked left and right.

Hilarious.

Oh ok, I was there, too, and noticed that, also. It was pissing me off to see that... I wish those stupid fans were ejected, giving us a bad image.

And what was with those dumb mouse pads? Patria Partners? Who cares about them! Give us Sox!

WhiteSoxWinner
05-27-2002, 11:35 PM
Yeah, it was on the Score. Apparently, one guy said that he took his younger cousin (didn't say how young) and he was offended by the taunts of the Sox fans. Another person mentioned (but it did not happen to them) that beer was dumped on some Yankme fans. And finally, there was a fight (surprise surprise) in the bleachers. Worst of all, some guy called just to b**** about the how they couldn't get out the parking lot. Whatever.

However, regarding the fight, someone else called to say that it was NOT a Sox fan that started the fight, but a Flub fan, from the attire, (must have gotten lost on the El) that was getting into it with the Yankme fans.

And the calls keep coming...At least Mark Grody (sp) is trying to stick up for us. Kind of.

Streets
05-27-2002, 11:36 PM

The big problem that's pluggin traffic up is the brige on Pershing is down, so anyone trying to get on the Northbound Ryan has to go to 43rd....

See it would have been nice to know that! Going to my first game of the season I got off on pershing to find out that I couldn't cross, still tried to get back around to get into that lot to find out it was full and had to go to lot G for the first time ever. I didn't even know there was a lot G. All this time I wasted with the parking forced me to miss anything they did for Robin before the game. I also tried to get on the main level, I wanted to check out the new batters eye, but the guy wouldn't let me in, I tried saying "I just want to go to the Hall of Fame gift shop" hoping he would let me in but he lied to my face and said there was one in the upper deck too. Not a good first game of the season....there'll be more to come though.

doublem23
05-27-2002, 11:37 PM
Jeez...

You must have to have a maximum IQ of like 12 and a chip on your shoulder to be able to call into the Score after a Sox game.

The only thing that kept this game from being fun was the fact that the Sox got bombed.

That game against Cleveland (1/2 price Tuesday, wit all the fights), was fun for the same reason. I'm sorry if I don't want to act like Charlie Church at Comiskey Park.

ChiWhiteSox1337
05-27-2002, 11:44 PM
yeah, I was also at the game, so many yankee fans, and the mousepads were awful! I was hoping to have a new mousepad after tonight but I guess I'll keep the nice one I have right now. All those mousepads flying on the field, actually got to see the secruity guys do something, 1 yankee fan was standing up, then another guy dumped his beer on him and they both got booted from the game, then some yankee fan was giving out these SOX SUCK stickers to all the yankee fans sitting by him, it was so annoying. I was over by the flag pole in left, it was cool seeing the Robin tribute and Thomas hitting a foul about 2 rows ahead of me then hitting a HR. It was a weird experience at the ball game for me today.

doublem23
05-27-2002, 11:47 PM
My personal feelings are, if you come into another team's ballpark and start **** with the hometown fans, don't expect the security to come save your butt.

You dive into a pool full of acid, its up to you to get out before a bunch of Sox fans kick your ass.

Seriously! There had to have been 10 Yankee fans sitting by me that I just wanted to beat the livign **** out of. Luckily, I am a pacifist, but that's for another thread. :D:

OK... I messed that analogy up!

hsc1
05-27-2002, 11:47 PM
i was at the game tonite as well.. took my two kids with me... we had a great time and didnt have any problems with the skankee fans who were sitting around us and there were alot for some reason.... of course it didnt take much to get out of the lots for us, but came pretty much to a stop when i hit the ryan... being this is the end of the memorial day weekend i figured we would hit a ton of traffic.... if all there is that 43,000 fans have to complain about is traffic on a holiday weekend and a few visitors who are not usually at sox games getting out of hand, for what is probably the only game they go to for a season then i think the nite went pretty well....well all except for the loss that is..... the tribute to robin could have been a bit longer or done differently.. i was expecting a bit more for some reason.... and those stinking mouse pads.. what gives .. at least the check book covers have the sox logo on them...lol......

doublem23
05-27-2002, 11:51 PM
Oh yeah... Those mousepads were terrible.

When I got mine, I remember saying, "What the ****? No Sox logo?"

And the kid handing out said, "Sorry, dude."

"Don't be surprised if you got to pick 20,000 or so of these things off the field after the game man."

What the hell were they thinking?

Sigh. An average night. Not great, but average.

Jerry_Manuel
05-28-2002, 07:04 AM

Sure, this coming from the same man, who when caddying broke golf clubs. :smile:

MarqSox
05-28-2002, 12:10 PM
All I know is, the players better think twice next time they wanna complain about how its easier to get up for a game when there's a full house compared to 15,000 ... while that may be true, if you're gonna say that, you better damn play well when the crowd does show.

steff
05-28-2002, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
All I know is, the players better think twice next time they wanna complain about how its easier to get up for a game when there's a full house compared to 15,000 ... while that may be true, if you're gonna say that, you better damn play well when the crowd does show.

Personally... I'd rather play in front of 30K than 15K as well. And to say they "didn't play"...? You sound like we're in the cellar.. when in fact, we're on the 2000 Playoff year pace. If they had come back to win, would you have bitched about the first inning and not been happy about the win? It's just another game.. and with 107 left to go, means very little right now.
You sound just like the whiners that were on the Score. Not meant to be a personal jab... just my opinion.

MarqSox
05-28-2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by steff3603

Personally... I'd rather play in front of 30K than 15K as well. And to say they "didn't play"...? You sound like we're in the cellar.. when in fact, we're on the 2000 Playoff year pace. If they had come back to win, would you have bitched about the first inning and not been happy about the win? It's just another game.. and with 107 left to go, means very little right now.
You sound just like the whiners that were on the Score. Not meant to be a personal jab... just my opinion.

Allow me to clarify. I'm not at all of the "Sky is falling" opinion. I know we're doing fine overall and I see no reason to panic. And I also know one game does not a season make. It's just very frustrating that it seems like whenever the Sox play on national TV or in front of a large home crowd (or, like last night, both) is when they play their very worst ball. I realize it's not like they don't try on those days and it's more bad coincidence than anything, but if they're trying to rebuild the fan base, losing on days like those is not the way to go about it. That's all I meant.

Iwritecode
05-28-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum

Are you sure you don't mean the north side?

Oh wait, when you go there, it's worse. You have to walk ten blocks to get to your car and then wait 45 minutes to get out of the parking spot you paid 20 bucks for. It's amazing that nobody calls the Score with these complaints...

cheeses_h_rice
05-28-2002, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

Are you sure you don't mean the north side?

Oh wait, when you go there, it's worse. You have to walk ten blocks to get to your car and then wait 45 minutes to get out of the parking spot you paid 20 bucks for. It's amazing that nobody calls the Score with these complaints...

Next time the Flubbies play a packed game, I really should call into the Score with my "lady from Tinley Park" voice and complain that I expected to get a parking spot on Sheffield Ave. just a block from the park, and to be able to get to my seat only 30 minutes after leaving my house (in Tinley Park, of course), and how dare those Cubby Bear vultures ask me for $25 to park 50 feet from the entrance to Wrigley Field.

The nerve!

steff
05-28-2002, 03:05 PM
Little groggy today, so correct me if I am wrong. They are saying the the Sox SOLD OUT last night... first of the year (yawn), but that the Cubs have NOT had a sellout this year. Even opening day. That can't be true.. can it?

steff
05-28-2002, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox

Allow me to clarify. I'm not at all of the "Sky is falling" opinion. I know we're doing fine overall and I see no reason to panic. And I also know one game does not a season make. It's just very frustrating that it seems like whenever the Sox play on national TV or in front of a large home crowd (or, like last night, both) is when they play their very worst ball. I realize it's not like they don't try on those days and it's more bad coincidence than anything, but if they're trying to rebuild the fan base, losing on days like those is not the way to go about it. That's all I meant.

No prob MarqSox. And I really hope it didn't seem like I was jumping on you. But I can imagine the guys frustration. They've played great ball a lot at home this year.. yet there's still only 15K attendance. What do they have to do? Fans said, win.. they're winning. Know what I mean..?

Max Power
05-28-2002, 05:00 PM
I was also at the game last night, and it's interesting to see how different everyone's experiences were. Here's mine:

Surprisingly I ran into no traffic on the way to Comiskey (got there at 6. coming from the north. pershing st. exit.) My friend who was coming from the south ran into bumper to bumper traffic though.

What qualifies a game as a "sell out"? When they start selling standing room tickets? P.S. I had standing room tickets. And by the way, the policy of only allowing people with 100 level tickets onto the 100 level certainly made the concourse in right-center bearable to stand on. People that rip that rule don't have any clue what they are talking about.

The Yankee fans didn't bother me as much as the Cubs fans. I mean, why are they there? And then they had the gall to talk trash about the Sox. I tried to reason with them, but you can imagine who that went. Anyway, I rembered to thank a few of them for contributing money to the Sox organization.

Took me 10 minutes top to get from the parking lot to the expressway. I actually thought that the traffic people did a good job.

As for the game, Danny Wright had his chances to get out of the 1st inning with less damage done. The Sox had their chances to make a game of it, even after the 6 run first. It's only 1 game though.

MarqSox
05-28-2002, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by steff3603

No prob MarqSox. And I really hope it didn't seem like I was jumping on you. But I can imagine the guys frustration. They've played great ball a lot at home this year.. yet there's still only 15K attendance. What do they have to do? Fans said, win.. they're winning. Know what I mean..?

No I didn't take offense to it ... and yeah, I totally hear you, our attendance needs to improve, definitely. It's just, they've got to be kicking themselves ... throwing up a 10-2 win last night would have gotten a lot of those folks coming back. Now, who knows, y'know?