PDA

View Full Version : Marlins Get Go Ahead for New Ballpark

DirtySox
03-23-2009, 11:19 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090323&content_id=4055912&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

At the Orange Bowl grounds. When they begin playing there they will be known as the Miami Marlins.

BleacherBandit
03-23-2009, 11:29 PM
Good for them. Maybe this means they'll get some fans.

It looks like a strange ball-park though.

spongyfungy
03-23-2009, 11:32 PM
looks pretty modern

Hitmen77
03-23-2009, 11:38 PM
Selig/MLB must be breathing a sigh of relief.

Whappeh
03-23-2009, 11:56 PM
As a Florida native, I'm bummed at the name change. I liked the "Florida Marlins".

thomas35forever
03-24-2009, 12:28 AM
How can we be so sure there won't be another controversy?

Domeshot17
03-24-2009, 12:55 AM
the outside of the stadium looks very cool. However, those pillars are going to make for some horrific sight lines.

Shoeless_Jeff
03-24-2009, 02:03 AM
It would be great if they could get some fans.

Its depressing watching Marlins games and seeing home run balls fly out into a sea of empty seats.

FloridaTigers
03-24-2009, 02:39 AM
Maybe they'd attract fans in the front office stopped trading every single All-Star who has ever put on a Marlins uniform. The clock is ticking on Uggla and Hanley...

Frater Perdurabo
03-24-2009, 07:52 AM
I have no idea how that roof will work, but it's not essential that the roof "seal" the stadium when closed. It's more important that it is able to block out the rain and the sun; there is not much "cold" to block in Miami between April and October!

I do hope that the roof is extremely well anchored to the ground, though, because hurricane force winds could turn that roof into the world's largest airplane crash.

Viva Medias B's
03-24-2009, 08:57 AM
I'm sure it will be built with the most strict hurricane codes. Like Busch Stadium, I see that parking garages will surround the stadium which is good. The Orange Bowl never had real parking.

Hitmen77
03-24-2009, 09:22 AM
I have no idea how that roof will work, but it's not essential that the roof "seal" the stadium when closed. It's more important that it is able to block out the rain and the sun; there is not much "cold" to block in Miami between April and October!

But wouldn't they want a climate controlled ("sealed" when roof is closed) in Miami because of the hot and very humid summer weather? I don't know. Maybe some people here familiar with South Florida can chime in about that.

Seattle's ballpark is designed the way you suggest. The roof blocks out the rain, but they don't need the roof to "seal" the ballpark because it's seldom hot and while the weather can be on the cool side in Seattle, it generally isn't frigid.

DSpivack
03-24-2009, 09:38 AM
But wouldn't they want a climate controlled ("sealed" when roof is closed) in Miami because of the hot and very humid summer weather? I don't know. Maybe some people here familiar with South Florida can chime in about that.

Seattle's ballpark is designed the way you suggest. The roof blocks out the rain, but they don't need the roof to "seal" the ballpark because it's seldom hot and while the weather can be on the cool side in Seattle, it generally isn't frigid.

Looking at the gallery renderings [http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/fla/photogallery/year_2009/month_01/day_27/cf3777340.html] (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/fla/ballpark/new_ballpark.jsp%5D), it looks like it will be 'sealed' when closed.

cws05champ
03-24-2009, 09:38 AM

I live down here and used to get partial season tickets to the Marlins. I couldn't give the seats away. I would think they would want this completely sealed because of the heat/humidity and the threat of rain on a regular basis. This will also allow them to play more day games on the weekends(Saturday is usually a night game because it is too dam hot) which may bring more families.

I don't know, I a big baseball fan but I'll be living more than an hour from the new stadium and it will be hell to fight traffic down there. I just think after the 1st year they are over projecting their attendance figures. It is good for the economy in the short term but I beleive will be an albatross after that....they just won't draw down here like other teams in other markets. They have effectively eliminated a lot of Broward and all of Palm Beach county with the location of the stadium....not that they had much choice of locations.

Although I think the Marlins should have a kick ass team by then with the likes of Hanley Ramirez, Maybin, Logan Morrison, Mike Stanton, Matt Dominguez and Kyle Skipworth.

Red Barchetta
03-24-2009, 09:54 AM
I'm glad to see the deal go through. It's a shame that a team that has won two World Series already as an "expansion" team has to worry about being contracted due to stadium politics, etc. There are worse expansion teams that have scored nice ballpark deals a lot sooner. Hopefully this will help attract a core fan base.

As to the ballpark design, it's nice to see something modern and a little different than the retro designs that have dominated the landscape lately. However, to me it looks like the Toronto Skydome south, however it's a vast improvement over Dolphins' Stadium.

I would love to see a translucent (tinted) roof on one of these retractable roof ballparks. Something that would seal out the elements, however still provide an open air feel when closed. I know the Miami sun can be quite intense, however a tinted roof might be enough to block out the heat while letting the light in. I guess the opposite effect could take place burning the fans and player like ants under a magnifying glass. :tongue:

RockJock07
03-24-2009, 09:58 AM
Maybe they'd attract fans in the front office stopped trading every single All-Star who has ever put on a Marlins uniform. The clock is ticking on Uggla and Hanley...

They've already locked up Hanley.....

EnglishChiSox
03-24-2009, 10:04 AM
I live down here and used to get partial season tickets to the Marlins. I couldn't give the seats away. I would think they would want this completely sealed because of the heat/humidity and the threat of rain on a regular basis. This will also allow them to play more day games on the weekends(Saturday is usually a night game because it is too dam hot) which may bring more families.

I don't know, I a big baseball fan but I'll be living more than an hour from the new stadium and it will be hell to fight traffic down there. I just think after the 1st year they are over projecting their attendance figures. It is good for the economy in the short term but I beleive will be an albatross after that....they just won't draw down here like other teams in other markets. They have effectively eliminated a lot of Broward and all of Palm Beach county with the location of the stadium....not that they had much choice of locations.

Although I think the Marlins should have a kick ass team by then with the likes of Hanley Ramirez, Maybin, Logan Morrison, Mike Stanton, Matt Dominguez and Kyle Skipworth.

A decent pitching staff as well, the oldest pitcher in the projected rotation this year is 26. I like The Fish, i hope this is the start of something great for them.

Hitmen77
03-24-2009, 10:20 AM
Here's the Miami Herald's story on the stadium deal:

http://www.miamiherald.com/486/story/964612.html

thedudeabides
03-24-2009, 10:55 AM
I'm glad to see the deal go through. It's a shame that a team that has won two World Series already as an "expansion" team has to worry about being contracted due to stadium politics, etc. There are worse expansion teams that have scored nice ballpark deals a lot sooner. Hopefully this will help attract a core fan base.

As to the ballpark design, it's nice to see something modern and a little different than the retro designs that have dominated the landscape lately. However, to me it looks like the Toronto Skydome south, however it's a vast improvement over Dolphins' Stadium.

I would love to see a translucent (tinted) roof on one of these retractable roof ballparks. Something that would seal out the elements, however still provide an open air feel when closed. I know the Miami sun can be quite intense, however a tinted roof might be enough to block out the heat while letting the light in. I guess the opposite effect could take place burning the fans and player like ants under a magnifying glass. :tongue:

When the Astrodome was first built, it had transparent sections so they could have real grass in the dome. The players said it was too difficult to track flyballs because of the glare, so it was painted over. Of course, the grass died, so they installed astroturf.

Thome25
03-24-2009, 11:12 AM
This is great news for their franchise. After winning two WS titles in a 6 year span that franchise was never treated very well which is a shame because any city or state should be honored to have such a young franchise win two titles like that.

ChiSoxFan81
03-24-2009, 01:40 PM
They better get going. They have to move to Miami, change their name to the Gators, become an AL team, and win the pennant before they lose to the Cubs in the 2015 World Series.

Thome25
03-24-2009, 01:54 PM
They better get going. They have to move to Miami, change their name to the Gators, become an AL team, and win the pennant before they lose to the Cubs in the 2015 World Series.

Ha Ha.....Back to the Future II.....the Trilogy is one of my favorites all-time.

FedEx227
03-24-2009, 05:00 PM

Hey, the way their farm system looks right now they could be a dominant force from 2011-2012 on.

Keep an eye out on Mike Stanton.

2008 in Single A: .293/.381/.611, 39 HR

That's a LOT of power for an 18 year old in his first wood-bat league.

EnglishChiSox
03-24-2009, 05:16 PM

I am still waiting on The Hoverboards, they would at least have to be in prototype stage to have them as a big thing in 2015.

doublem23
03-24-2009, 05:28 PM
Hey, the way their farm system looks right now they could be a dominant force from 2011-2012 on.

You forgot the part where they become a dominant force in 2011, win the World Series in 2012, and promptly disassemble the team for scraps and lose 100 games in 2013. :cool:

FedEx227
03-24-2009, 05:46 PM
Well yeah, that goes without saying.

Then in 2019 they'll be right back in the hunt.

palehozenychicty
03-24-2009, 08:12 PM
I honestly think that if they can somehow tighten up that defense and keep the starters healthy, you have the surprise team of '09.

ChiSoxGirl
03-24-2009, 09:49 PM

Even with the location of Dolphin Stadium, I think they've had that problem for years, save the two years following their World Championships. When I went to a Marlins game back in July, we drove down from West Palm Beach for a Friday night game and it took just about an hour- and that was with avoiding I-95 by taking the turnpike. I can't imagine crawling down to Miami on 95 from Palm Beach County. Maybe the novelty of a new ballpark and a team with promise will get people out to the park from Palm Beach and Broward Counties in 2011, but after that, they could very well be in the same position they are now in terms of attendance (or lackthereof).

DSpivack
03-24-2009, 09:53 PM
Even with the location of Dolphin Stadium, I think they've had that problem for years, save the two years following their World Championships. When I went to a Marlins game back in July, we drove down from West Palm Beach for a Friday night game and it took just about an hour- and that was with avoiding I-95 by taking the turnpike. I can't imagine crawling down to Miami on 95 from Palm Beach County. Maybe the novelty of a new ballpark and a team with promise will get people out to the park from Palm Beach and Broward Counties in 2011, but after that, they could very well be in the same position they are now in terms of attendance (or lackthereof).

I don't really see what the big deal is about fans from Broward/Palm Beach. I think the Miami locale should draw more fans. It's not like people criticize the Dodgers for not being near Orange County, or the Giants for not being easy to get to from the East Bay, or the White Sox from the northern suburbs, etc.

ChiSoxGirl
03-24-2009, 10:07 PM
I don't really see what the big deal is about fans from Broward/Palm Beach. I think the Miami locale should draw more fans. It's not like people criticize the Dodgers for not being near Orange County, or the Giants for not being easy to get to from the East Bay, or the White Sox from the northern suburbs, etc.

First of all, I was just responding to what cws05champ was saying in his initial post, and just shared my experience of driving down to a Marlins game from where I was staying.

As for the big deal about fans from Broward and Palm Beach Counties, it could be because they are two decently-populated counties just north of Miami-Dade that could be contributing to attendance at Marlins games, but probably aren't- especially those who lives in the northern parts of those counties. Broward and Palm Beach Counties are the two closest to Miami-Dade and if any residents of those two counties are baseball fans, the next closest "ballpark" is over three hours northwest in St. Pete. The Marlins are the only game in town, so to speak, and decent access to the ballpark would probably ensure them a better fan base.

DSpivack
03-24-2009, 10:12 PM
First of all, I was just responding to what cws05champ was saying in his initial post, and just shared my experience of driving down to a Marlins game from where I was staying.

As for the big deal about fans from Broward and Palm Beach Counties, it could be because they are two decently-populated counties just north of Miami-Dade that could be contributing to attendance at Marlins games, but probably aren't- especially those who lives in the northern parts of those counties. Broward and Palm Beach Counties are the two closest to Miami-Dade and if any residents of those two counties are baseball fans, the next closest "ballpark" is over three hours northwest in St. Pete. The Marlins are the only game in town, so to speak, and decent access to the ballpark would probably ensure them a better fan base.

But decent access according to whom? Currently it's a hassle for Miami residents, and the new stadium is a hassle for Broward or Palm Beach fans. I don't see how any location would be good for all. I think the attendance problems they've had are mostly due to playing in an awful stadium.

ChiSoxGirl
03-24-2009, 10:41 PM
But decent access according to whom? Currently it's a hassle for Miami residents, and the new stadium is a hassle for Broward or Palm Beach fans. I don't see how any location would be good for all. I think the attendance problems they've had are mostly due to playing in an awful stadium.

You're probably right about the attendance problems being an issue because of Dolphin Stadium. In addition, decent access is all relative, depending on where you live.

cws05champ
03-24-2009, 11:01 PM
I think the attendance problems are for a multitude of reasons, awful stadium, hot/humid and rainy weather, lots of other activities to do, a transiant population.

Where the stadium is now I think is just about right from a North-South perspective...it's just too far West.

I still think from seeing the fan base down here for the last decade that they will not draw as well as they hope after the 1st year.

soxfan2504
03-25-2009, 02:42 AM

Ditto. There is no location that works for everyone, since South Florida is a linear metropolis. But I think that locating the stadium in an area with a denser concentration of population is critical, to improving attendance and easing access to more people. Plus, since the stadium will be surrounded by parking garages and not an oversized moat of parking like at DS, it'll encourage more walkups, population density notwithstanding. And consider that the stadium will be in "Little Havana," and we all know how much Cubans love baseball.

Not that I expect to see a gigantic improvement in overall attendance, but it'll be significant due to the above factors. Not to mention that they won't be playing in that dump of a football stadium anymore, and the stadium will simply look more inviting even when there's only 20k inside.

Red Barchetta
03-26-2009, 11:08 AM
I think the attendance problems are for a multitude of reasons, awful stadium, hot/humid and rainy weather, lots of other activities to do, a transiant population.

Where the stadium is now I think is just about right from a North-South perspective...it's just too far West.

I still think from seeing the fan base down here for the last decade that they will not draw as well as they hope after the 1st year.

I remember when Joe Robbie stadium first opened and how the other NFL teams thought it was a great, state of the art stadium. I remember reading an article in the Tribune whereas McCaskey and the other Bear executives who were lobbying Chicago for a new stadium actually wanted to use the new Dolphin's stadium as a model to base the Chicago stadium off of.

I know it wasn't designed for baseball, however it seems pretty good for football.

guillen4life13
03-26-2009, 11:36 AM

I live in Miami, relatively close to Calle Ocho and a 20 minute drive from the former OB and future Marlins stadium location. I've written of this in the past, but pretty much the sizable latin population should get on board with the Marlins should the ticket prices be reasonable. The new location is right in the middle of Little Havana and is accessible by bus that moves from the Metrorail to the stadium. This is how I used to get to UM football games.

I feel for the PBC and Broward fans, but the difference in commute shouldn't be too bad especially considering that most rush hour traffic at game time (7ish) is going northbound from Miami and Miami Beach.

So I think this is going to help the Marlins get more fans to the park.

By the way, last weekend I went to the Calle Ocho festival and I saw a lot of Sox hats and jerseys. I think that the Cuban trio has made the Sox a lot of new fans.

Hitmen77
08-05-2009, 04:19 PM
The Marlins have officially broken ground (on July 18) on their new 37,000 seat retractable roof ballpark.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090718&content_id=5924388&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

EDIT: By the way, the video of the groundbreaking ceremony show the "ceremonial first pitch" being thrown by former Sox pitcher Charlie Hough.

FloridaTigers
08-06-2009, 12:27 AM
You're probably right about the attendance problems being an issue because of Dolphin Stadium. In addition, decent access is all relative, depending on where you live.

Where I live, its a hassle. Lets be honest, it'll be called the "Miami Marlins" as it should've 15 years ago. People in Broward have the Florida Panthers if they want sports, as well as the Dolphins on the county line. I'm not a Marlins fan, but I'd go to more games if it were more convenient for me. Joe Player Landshark Dolphins Stadium is in a terrible location.

I remember when Joe Robbie stadium first opened and how the other NFL teams thought it was a great, state of the art stadium. I remember reading an article in the Tribune whereas McCaskey and the other Bear executives who were lobbying Chicago for a new stadium actually wanted to use the new Dolphin's stadium as a model to base the Chicago stadium off of.

I know it wasn't designed for baseball, however it seems pretty good for football.

Its a dated facility. It suffers from US Cellular Field syndrome, being one of the last stadium/ballparks built during the multi-purpose/cookie cutter days. (I know the Cell isn't multipurpose, but it was the last ballpark before the retro ones came in) The seats are farther from the action than the Orange Bowl for football, and attendance as dropped for Dolphins games since the 80's which surprisingly coincides with the moving from the Orange Bowl to the Joe Robbie.

Railsplitter
08-06-2009, 10:53 AM
As a Florida native, I'm bummed at the name change. I liked the "Florida Marlins".

Those who like alliteration will be pleased.

Hitmen77
08-06-2009, 11:22 AM
The Marlins have officially broken ground (on July 18) on their new 37,000 seat retractable roof ballpark.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090718&content_id=5924388&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

EDIT: By the way, the video of the groundbreaking ceremony show the "ceremonial first pitch" being thrown by former Sox pitcher Charlie Hough.

....Speaking of Charlie Hough, they also mentioned him on the Sox game last night because it was the 17th anniversary of him getting his 200th win and showed a flashback to that Sox game in 1992.

soxfanreggie
08-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Miami Marlins...:o: IMO, that just sounds bad.

BleacherBandit
08-06-2009, 01:26 PM

It makes more sense than naming your team after the state you play in. To me, that's stupid. The Texas Rangers are the only team that gets away with it because their name wouldn't make any sense if it was the "Arlington Rangers".

Hitmen77
08-06-2009, 02:24 PM

:dunno:
It sounds much better to me. IMO, they should have been the Miami Marlins from the beginning. But now that they'll actually be in the Miami city limits, then it absolutely makes sense.

FloridaTigers
08-06-2009, 03:52 PM
It makes more sense than naming your team after the state you play in. To me, that's stupid. The Texas Rangers are the only team that gets away with it because their name wouldn't make any sense if it was the "Arlington Rangers".

Especially since there is another major league team in Florida now. :scratch:

illinibk
08-06-2009, 04:11 PM

I dunno, I am still partial to the California Angels. I think Colorado Rockies has a better ring to it than the Denver Rockies.

MisterB
08-06-2009, 04:14 PM

They should recognize the whole DFW metroplex and call themselves the Dalworthington Rangers.

Hitmen77
08-06-2009, 04:57 PM

...especially since a "Texas Ranger" is a real-life group:

http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:x6ftc6Bv6RxipM:http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/learning/webcasts/texas/images/56_ranger_badge.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/learning/webcasts/texas/images/56_ranger_badge.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/learning/webcasts/texas/rangers.phtml&usg=__psOlPkxkHx4FLJ_MPWnQXtmwdW0=&h=365&w=350&sz=16&hl=en&start=6&um=1&tbnid=x6ftc6Bv6RxipM:&tbnh=121&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtexas%2Branger%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4G GLL_enUS311US311%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1)
It would make no sense to call them the "Dallas Rangers" or "Arlington Rangers"

I dunno, I am still partial to the California Angels. I think Colorado Rockies has a better ring to it than the Denver Rockies.

Again, this fits with what the team is named after (and I'm not talking about the old NHL team). I've heard of the mountains in CO referred to as the "Colorado Rockies." To name the team the "Denver Rockies" wouldn't sound right.

illinibk
08-06-2009, 05:47 PM
...especially since a "Texas Ranger" is a real-life group:

http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:x6ftc6Bv6RxipM:http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/learning/webcasts/texas/images/56_ranger_badge.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/learning/webcasts/texas/images/56_ranger_badge.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/learning/webcasts/texas/rangers.phtml&usg=__psOlPkxkHx4FLJ_MPWnQXtmwdW0=&h=365&w=350&sz=16&hl=en&start=6&um=1&tbnid=x6ftc6Bv6RxipM:&tbnh=121&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtexas%2Branger%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4G GLL_enUS311US311%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1)
It would make no sense to call them the "Dallas Rangers" or "Arlington Rangers"

Perhaps the Rangers need a slight modification to their name and uniform?
http://bensbreakfastblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/chuck20norriswk7.jpg

New hats. Beards are mandatory. Bill Veeck couldn't come up with a better idea/gimmick.

PKalltheway
08-08-2009, 09:14 PM
To go along with the new ballpark, the Marlins are also apparently putting in a bid for the 2015 All-Star Game.
http://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/stories/2009/08/03/daily75.html

Hitmen77
08-08-2009, 09:39 PM
To go along with the new ballpark, the Marlins are also apparently putting in a bid for the 2015 All-Star Game.
http://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/stories/2009/08/03/daily75.html

I found it noteworthy that the article says the Mets are "reportedly" to get the 2013 game. That would make sense since the Mets haven't hosted since 1964.