PDA

View Full Version : What's the best catch you've ever seen in person?

thomas35forever
03-23-2009, 03:22 PM
What catch have you seen in person that just totally blew your mind. My vote definitely has to go to Jim Edmonds at Busch Stadium in 2005. My dad and I didn't even have tickets to the game, but we were standing outside the ballpark and a security guard let us in after the seventh inning. By the start of the ninth inning, enough fans had left the seating area in right-center field that we could grab some seats. During the inning, the ball was hit close to where we were and just when it seemed like it would drop for a hit, Edmonds comes out of nowhere and snags it on a diver. It was named Baseball Tonight's top Web Gem of the week and I got on TV!

Konerko05
03-23-2009, 03:41 PM
Brian Anderson's diving catch to end the blackout game for all the obvious reasons.

Chez
03-23-2009, 03:51 PM
Brian Anderson's diving catch to end the blackout game for all the obvious reasons.

Anderson's may have been the most dramatic catch I've ever witnessed, but the two "best" I've witnessed were a catch Ray Durham made on a pop-up on Opening Night several years ago against the Angels and Mike Cameron's leaping catch at the Cell to rob Mark McGwire of a homer when McGwire was chasing Maris. The latter happened right in front of me -- my sons still talk about it!

spawn
03-23-2009, 03:53 PM
My wife accepting my proposal of marriage.

sox1970
03-23-2009, 03:56 PM
Anderson's may have been the most dramatic catch I've ever witnessed, but the two "best" I've witnessed were a catch Ray Durham made on a pop-up on Opening Night several years ago against the Angels and Mike Cameron's leaping catch at the Cell to rob Mark McGwire of a homer when McGwire was chasing Maris. The latter happened right in front of me -- my sons still talk about it!

Ditto on Durham. That was 2000.

KenBerryGrab
03-23-2009, 04:00 PM
Ken Berry stealing one back from over the center field fence at old Comiskey against the Orioles in '68.

Frontman
03-23-2009, 04:04 PM
Best catch? Hard to say, as I've seen some good ones. The most brutal that surprised me that I saw in person was one by Ryan Sweeney in 2007 when he dove and came down upper chest first, arms up and almost behind his head, and he looked like a car wreck when he stopped moving.

He did hold onto the ball, though.

MarkZ35
03-23-2009, 04:09 PM
Possibly 2003 when Carl Everett robbed I believe Ramon Hernandez of a home run in the Buehrle Mulder matchup that lasted less than 2 hours.

HomeFish
03-23-2009, 04:12 PM
I saw Carlos Lee make a damn good catch against the Devil Rays in early 2004. It was a rainy day in April and a Danny Wright start. The Sox lost big, but he delayed that by one inning.

TDog
03-23-2009, 04:12 PM
On April 21, 2001,in Chicago, Torii Hunter made an incredible catch of a drive by Julio Ramirez to end the fourth inning. I was sitting behind home plate, saw the play developed and couldn't believe what I saw. The Sox were losing to the Twins 3-2, with Herbert Perry, the potential tying run at third base. Perry had doubled in Carlos Lee with one out and advanced to third on the second out. Ramirez, who was hitting below .100 and had the Saturday afternoon start, hit a rocket off of Eric Milton that looked like it was going to split the outfielders and bounce to the wall, probably for a game-tying triple. Had Hunter, who had just been activated after missing two weeks with an injury, missed the diving catch to his right, Ramirez would have been to second before anyone touched the ball. It was probably the best ball Ramirez hit all season.

Konerko tied the game with a home run to lead off the sixth, but Pierzynski broke the tie in the seventh, scoring for the Twins on a ground out after hitting a leadoff double. Hunter homered and doubled in the game. Although Ramirez threw Hunter out at the plate when he tried to score from second on a two-out single in the fourth, Hunter's catch was the difference in the game, and I drove home, past the "It's Time" billboards, with the defending Central Division Sox down 7 games to the Twins with a week left in April.

FedEx227
03-23-2009, 04:20 PM
I saw Carlos Lee make a damn good catch against the Devil Rays in early 2004. It was a rainy day in April and a Danny Wright start. The Sox lost big, but he delayed that by one inning.

I remember that game.

Doug Waechter made us look like damn fools.

That was when I began the crusade to figure out why "AAA fringe starters absolutely destroy the White Sox"

Edit: Apparently they didn't lose big, but I believe this is the game: http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200404240.shtml (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200404240.shtml)
There was also a bench-clearing in the game too. Thomas hit a homer and was hit his next at-bat.
Kelly Dransfeldt ::shiver::

Konerko05
03-23-2009, 04:26 PM
I remember all of these catches on television. Unfortunately I haven't been blessed with seeing great catches in person. I'll have to live with the dramatics of BA's blackout catch. I guess I can't really complain.

DSpivack
03-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Ditto on Durham. That was 2000.

That's what came to mind for me, too. I wanted to sit in one place and watch the game, my buddies wanted to roam around the park. The atmosphere seemed electric that night, as though something were different from the previous few down years.

Konerko05
03-23-2009, 04:37 PM
That's what came to mind for me, too. I wanted to sit in one place and watch the game, my buddies wanted to roam around the park. The atmosphere seemed electric that night, as though something were different from the previous few down years.

I wish they would do opening night more often, but I understand the weather concerns.

delben91
03-23-2009, 04:37 PM
Aaron Rowand putting on a show against the Yankees in NYC during the 2005 season. Believe it was in the first inning of an El Duque start and Rowand made back to back great catches in each gap.

sox1970
03-23-2009, 04:38 PM

The great thing about that night game was how warm it was. I think it was around 70.

edit: box said it was 73 that night.

TornLabrum
03-23-2009, 05:42 PM
The best I've seen in person was also Durham's opening night catch.

mrfourni
03-23-2009, 07:22 PM
Possibly 2003 when Carl Everett robbed I believe Ramon Hernandez of a home run in the Buehrle Mulder matchup that lasted less than 2 hours.

That was definately 2003. I organized a patio party for that game. By the time my group walked from the patio to our seats in the upper deck after the first 1/2 hour downstairs, it was already the 4th or 5th inning.

JB98
03-23-2009, 07:24 PM
Aaron Rowand crashing into the wall to rob Richie Sexson of the Mariners in August of 2005. That was the day Carlton Fisk's statue was unveiled.

BleacherBandit
03-23-2009, 07:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-KZyO3t_uI

I was there in Japan, thirty years ago. :D:

PKalltheway
03-23-2009, 09:19 PM
Jim Edmonds at Great American Ballpark in 2004. It was a 2 run game in the bottom of the ninth with the Cardinals leading, and Jason LaRue hit a deep fly ball into CF that everybody thought would be gone. When Edmonds lept over the fence to catch the ball, everybody in the park was absolutely stunned. There was no booing, nor was there cheering. It had to be the weirdest fan reaction I have ever encountered at the game. It was also the most impressive catch that I have seen in person, and probably the most impressive catch that I have ever seen period.

pearso66
03-23-2009, 10:20 PM
I was at the game where Durham made that catch on opening day, but we were in traffic and walked in literally right after it happened. I don't remember the greatest catch I saw in person, but the greatest play was the Iguchi one a couple of years ago where he laid out as he threw the ball.

RichFitztightly
03-23-2009, 10:57 PM
One of the Best Catches I saw happened in BP before a game. Buehrle climbed the wall (literally) in right field and got up to Torii Hunter height to rob somebody of a BP homer. He came back down to field to raucous cheers from the team. He popped up off the turf and flipped the ball to Garland like he makes those catches all the time.

It was pretty amazing.

The best non-major league catch happened in highschool. My team was playing some baseball alumns in an exibition. My cousin was in leftfield, a position he never played in his life. He also hadn't picked up a baseball in 2 years. Well, he gets a shot hit over his head, he runs back like a wide reciever, then turns one way, then flips around to the other side because he had misjudged the ball so badly. He then stumbles and falls to the ground on his back. He reaches up with his bare hand and snags the line drive.

That was easily the best catch that was made much more difficult than it should have been.

Taliesinrk
03-23-2009, 11:22 PM
I was at the game where Durham made that catch on opening day, but we were in traffic and walked in literally right after it happened. I don't remember the greatest catch I saw in person, but the greatest play was the Iguchi one a couple of years ago where he laid out as he threw the ball.

Yeah.. people keep saying "opening night", but I'm pretty sure it was a day game, and that was a hell of a catch... I was there for that too.

However, I believe the best I've ever seen was a Reds-Cubs game (I think it was the flubs) back in 2003. Ryan Freel made a diving catch on the warning track in CF that I believe was up for ESPY play of the year.

Frater Perdurabo
03-24-2009, 06:57 AM
Great thread!

Mine would be BA's catch to win the blackout game. Of course, I was not at the Cell in person, but rather saw it on TV.

As for in person, I saw A-Rod make some spectacular plays at shortstop when he played for the Rangers.

Also, in 2002, when he played for the Sox, Kenny Lofton showed me the importance of playing shallow in CF during a couple games he played when the Sox visited the Rangers. Arlington has a big outfield, yet he was able to run up and catch soft liners, and still get back to catch the deep drives. Although I didn't see him make any spectacular, dramatic catches in that series, he did demonstrate that he was the best defensive CF of his generation.

TommyJohn
03-24-2009, 07:07 AM
Yeah.. people keep saying "opening night", but I'm pretty sure it was a day game, and that was a hell of a catch... I was there for that too.

It actually was a night game.

DSpivack
03-24-2009, 08:53 AM
It actually was a night game.

And it was opening day, too.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?id=105&category=3

tebman
03-24-2009, 09:15 AM
I don't remember the greatest catch I saw in person, but the greatest play was the Iguchi one a couple of years ago where he laid out as he threw the ball.

I was at that Iguchi game too. We had seats in right-center and saw the play from behind. Iguchi charged the grounder and did what looked like a dive into the infield grass at the same time the ball was flipped to first.

Out!

What?

How did he do that?

It wasn't until we saw the replays later and again that night that we realized what a hell of a play that was.

tick53
03-24-2009, 10:35 AM
Ken Berry stealing one back from over the center field fence at old Comiskey against the Orioles in '68.

I was there with you! Sitting in the RF upper deck above the Carta Blanca sign. :bandance:

Madvora
03-24-2009, 10:50 AM
I was at that Iguchi game too. We had seats in right-center and saw the play from behind. Iguchi charged the grounder and did what looked like a dive into the infield grass at the same time the ball was flipped to first.

Out!

What?

How did he do that?

It wasn't until we saw the replays later and again that night that we realized what a hell of a play that was.
Was that the first WSI outing because I was there too?

soxfan13
03-24-2009, 11:00 AM
Might be because of the situation but Uribes catch of the foul ball in Houston.

tebman
03-24-2009, 12:16 PM
Was that the first WSI outing because I was there too?

It wasn't a WSI outing that I was aware of. I was at that game with a friend and had tickets for that day as part of my Ozzie Plan.

beasly213
03-24-2009, 12:35 PM
Since this is "in person" I'll go with Andersons diving catch during the blackout.

I was sitting in the bleachers and as the ball was off the bat and Anderson was coming on you had the feeling that even though it was going to be a tough play he was going to make the catch. I had no doubt in my mind that the ball would be in his glove.

LoveYourSuit
03-24-2009, 01:22 PM
The best I've seen in person was also Durham's opening night catch.

Count me in on that one also. There was about a 2 min standing -O- for Ray after that catch. By far the best catch I have seen in person.

Rowand had a very nice one in '05 against SEA (I think) on a Sunday day game at the Cell where he crashed against the wall w/out looking and ended up laying on the warning track for a few minutes for the 3rd out.

C-Dawg
03-24-2009, 01:53 PM
...but the greatest play was the Iguchi one a couple of years ago where he laid out as he threw the ball.

That's the best one I've seen in person; actually I feel a little bad about it because I had gotten up to let some kid get out to the aisle (I was on the end of the row) and I probably blocked someone's view. Terrible timing.

...Rowand had a very nice one in '05 against SEA (I think) on a Sunday day game at the Cell where he crashed against the wall w/out looking and ended up laying on the warning track for a few minutes for the 3rd out.

That sounds like the Carlton Fisk statue day mentioned earlier. My claim to fame on that day was that I appeared in the background (on the fan deck) in the Tribune the next day.

El Caballo had a great catch against Seattle in 2004; I was there but didn't see it because a few of us had arranged a meet-up in the CF concourse, and we all missed seeing it in person. I think it was Freddy Garcia's USCF debut.

Marqhead
03-24-2009, 01:59 PM
Against the Browns, Shane Matthews threw up a hail mary which was tipped and James Allen caught it on his back......oh wait, wrong sport.

I was at the Iguchi game, though it wasn't necessarily a catch, it certainly was an amazing play.

TornLabrum
03-24-2009, 04:34 PM
I'd say the Iguchi play was the greatest play I've ever seen in person on a ground ball, too.

CMPDragRacing
03-25-2009, 01:24 AM
"best" I've witnessed were a catch Ray Durham made on a pop-up on Opening Night several years ago against the Angels

ill have to say this was mine also

kravdog
03-25-2009, 06:12 AM

this is mine as well

chisoxfanatic
03-25-2009, 10:08 AM
Brian Anderson's division-clinching catch in last year's tiebreaker against the Twins. First off, the magnitude of that catch was huge. Had he not caught Castilla's fly, in comes Mauer, who could've hit the game-tying RBI. Secondly, I'm a huge FOBA, so it was extra special for me, and I sat in Right-Center for the game, so I had a GREAT view of his catch!

SOXfnNlansing
03-27-2009, 11:16 PM

That is my winner also. Opening night 2000. I was right there and couldn't believe it happened.