PDA

View Full Version : Should the Japan Series champion have the opportunity to compete in the World Series?

cub killer
03-23-2009, 03:40 AM
I don't know how to start a poll here. But, since this was mentioned in the WBC thread, I'd like to know everyone's thoughts on the matter.

Some have said that the World Series champion is not hands-down the best baseball club in the world. So, should the Japan Series champ get a chance to prove its worth?

Here's what I would suggest:

Have the Japan Series end in late September. Award them a MLB Wild Card spot in either the AL or NL. The league which coughs up this spot would alternate every year.

The Japan champion's home games would be at Dodger Stadium, unless the Dodgers were also in the playoffs, then they would play at another west coast stadium in a market with a good amount of Japanese or Japanese-American fans.

This would be a tremendous boon for the Japanese League since obviously their clubs would now have a whole lot more to shoot for. Also, this would give more meaning to divisional races for the WC-less league, which would alternate year-to-year.

The statements made that MLB would never risk this out of fear of embarrassment... that's horrible. That is absolutely cowardly. If the 2005 JS champ challenged Ozzie after we swept the Astros, Ozzie probably would have been up for it.

I don't know much about the Japan league, but if I peek over there and see that their baseball is comparable to MLB, then I, personally, would never see the World Series the same again.

Konerko05
03-23-2009, 04:17 AM
I never took the title "World Series Champion" that literal. To me it's just a title for the winner of the playoffs. I don't see how playing a team outside of MLB after a grueling 162 game schedule makes any sense.

whitesox901
03-23-2009, 04:30 AM
I always thought World Series fit since its players from all over the world, Just my two cents though

WSox597
03-23-2009, 07:19 AM
People much more into baseball than I am have compared Japanese pro baseball to AAA.

So, if that's true, the idea isn't a good one. Might as well play Birmingham in the World Series.

If it's not true, and Japanese pro baseball is equal in talent and ability, you may have a point. Either way, I can't see Bud Selig trying it.

DumpJerry
03-23-2009, 08:13 AM
Why stop with just Japan?

Should European basketball teams be involved in the NBA Finals?

The Canadians Football League in the NFL playoffs?

I would vote no.

doublem23
03-23-2009, 09:18 AM
No.

oeo
03-23-2009, 09:25 AM
You have to remember that even some of the best Japanese players may be playing for an MLB team. The best Japanese players end up coming here, who goes to Japan? Nothing but retreads. Not a chance that they can hang with the best in MLB. Hell, I'd question whether a Japanese team would be able to hang with the Nationals, Pirates, etc.

I don't know much about the Japan league, but if I peek over there and see that their baseball is comparable to MLB, then I, personally, would never see the World Series the same again.How is that even possible? One country has the same talent level of the rest of the world?

Good for Japan that they beat a weak USA team, but let's be serious here. They beat a USA team without all their best players. Even if we did have our best out there and they won, then that would mean Japan's talent is comparable to USA's talent (not the entire MLB).

bigsoxfan420
03-23-2009, 09:32 AM
No!

nedlug
03-23-2009, 09:40 AM
It's easy to forget that many of the best U.S. pitchers were not on the WBC roster. I could go up and down the list, but it just reminds us of how close our 'B' team is to Japan's 'A' team + months of practice together.

comiskey2000
03-23-2009, 10:46 AM
Major League teams are filled with players from around the world, including Japan. MLB is by far a better league. The USA WBC team is only a fraction of what MLB teams have to offer.

soxinem1
03-23-2009, 11:40 AM
When the term 'World Series' was adopted, the USA was the only country with serious professional baseball, so basically the USA was the 'World'.

Sure, times have changed, as countries around the world are fielding competitive baseball leagues. But the overall quality of baseball here is far better than in the foreign countries.

Additionally, the Japanese and Korean leagues pay their players quite well, so they are copying us in that area too!

But most star foreign players do not feel they have arrived as a professional until they have played in USA MLB, and the ones good enough have been making the attempts to come here to play.

illini81887
03-23-2009, 11:44 AM
And you know the first time Sox have shot at playoffs with the wild card. And it be that year AL would have to give it up for some Japanese team, you would be complaining about it. If a Japanese team wants to join major leagues fine. But its BS to just give it to them

scarsofthumper
03-23-2009, 12:03 PM
It's "World Series Champions", not "World Champions" so no.

doublem23
03-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Tuffy Rhodes has hit 442 career HR in Japan. That's all you need to know about the talent difference in the NPB and MLB.

kitekrazy
03-23-2009, 12:28 PM
I don't know how to start a poll here. But, since this was mentioned in the WBC thread, I'd like to know everyone's thoughts on the matter.

Some have said that the World Series champion is not hands-down the best baseball club in the world. So, should the Japan Series champ get a chance to prove its worth?

Have the Japan Series end in late September. Award them a MLB Wild Card spot in either the AL or NL. The league which coughs up this spot would alternate every year.

The Japan champion's home games would be at Dodger Stadium, unless the Dodgers were also in the playoffs, then they would play at another west coast stadium in a market with a good amount of Japanese or Japanese-American fans.

This would be a tremendous boon for the Japanese League since obviously their clubs would now have a whole lot more to shoot for. Also, this would give more meaning to divisional races for the WC-less league, which would alternate year-to-year.

The statements made that MLB would never risk this out of fear of embarrassment... that's horrible. That is absolutely cowardly. If the 2005 JS champ challenged Ozzie after we swept the Astros, Ozzie probably would have been up for it.

I don't know much about the Japan league, but if I peek over there and see that their baseball is comparable to MLB, then I, personally, would never see the World Series the same again.

There's no strong argument here.

If Japan players were that good you would see a lot more of them in the majors. Outside of Ichiro most of them become a flash in the pan when they play in the states. Just look at the ones who played in Chicago. Fukadome was suppose to be a star. Then there was Mr. Zero, and Iguchi. I'm glad Fukadome became a Cub. The Sox didn't need another splumping hitter.

The WBC is just another stupid idea under the worst commissioner ever in baseball. They should have America's top amatuers playing who have something to play for. Owners don't like their expensive players in it. Most Sox fans would have no problem with the immortal BA playing but not Quentin or Danks.

They would have to make a lot of changes to make the WBC work. Shortening the current season would help but the owners don't want to miss out on any potential revenue.

WHILEPITCH
03-23-2009, 12:33 PM
The World Series should change its name. If you care about tradition then call it The Series.

Point being tradition is the only reason for keeping a name that egotistical. Initially, perhaps it was the test of who's best in the world at baseball.

Now there are other leagues and lots of talent abroad. It's a misnomer, plain and simple. I've spoken to foreigners who think it's poorly worded. We can choose to care about that opinion or ignore it and bask in our self-importance some more.

Clembasbal
03-23-2009, 12:58 PM
After the World Series, they should do something like soccer does. So all the champions in all the leagues throughout the world play. Even invite minor league teams, teams from Europe, and teams from Japan.

Iwritecode
03-23-2009, 01:00 PM

Worst idea ever.

johnny bench
03-23-2009, 01:01 PM
I'd rather play the Korean champion and go heads up against Man Soo Lee!

TheVulture
03-23-2009, 01:03 PM
You know any Japanese championship team is going to have tight defense, good baserunning and excellent fundamentals. If that team has a couple of aces on the staff it is entirely possible they could hang with MLB teams in a seven game series.

CashMan
03-23-2009, 01:04 PM
After the World Series, they should do something like soccer does. So all the champions in all the leagues throughout the world play. Even invite minor league teams, teams from Europe, and teams from Japan.

I think Soccer and Baseball are two totally different types of sports to do this with. You do not have to worry about dead arms or shoulder injuries in Soccer. Soccer, I am sure, could be and might be played 12 months out of the year, I don't know of too many pitcher than can pitch 12 months out of the year.

WhiteSox5187
03-23-2009, 01:12 PM
I would say no, but it would be cool to have the World Series champion play the Japanese league champion.

cws05champ
03-23-2009, 01:14 PM
The Japanese leagues play a much different game, smaller stadiums, mostly on turf, only 144 games in a season and they allow ties into their standings.

I would be really interested to see a Japanese team play a season in MLB, playing in larger stadiums, mostly on grass, much more difficult travel schedule etc. I don't think they would fare too well overall.

Lets not forget scouting is a huge part of baseball and whereas all of MLB is readily available to get game footage Japanese league is not. I think that is part of the reason the WBC Japanese teams fare well, but one Japanese team over a full MLB season of 162 games with the travel involved and other disadvantages would tell us a lot.

DSpivack
03-23-2009, 01:23 PM
The Japanese leagues play a much different game, smaller stadiums, mostly on turf, only 144 games in a season and they allow ties into their standings.

I would be really interested to see a Japanese team play a season in MLB, playing in larger stadiums, mostly on grass, much more difficult travel schedule etc. I don't think they would fare too well overall.

Lets not forget scouting is a huge part of baseball and whereas all of MLB is readily available to get game footage Japanese league is not. I think that is part of the reason the WBC Japanese teams fare well, but one Japanese team over a full MLB season of 162 games with the travel involved and other disadvantages would tell us a lot.

Sounds like an idea to me. They get the Washington Nationals for a year, we get the Yomiuri Giants.

hi im skot
03-23-2009, 01:36 PM
You have to remember that even some of the best Japanese players may be playing for an MLB team. The best Japanese players end up coming here, who goes to Japan? Nothing but retreads. Not a chance that they can hang with the best in MLB. Hell, I'd question whether a Japanese team would be able to hang with the Nationals, Pirates, etc.

:thumbsup:

areilly
03-23-2009, 02:12 PM

Funny you should mention this as Bobby Valentine directly challenged the 2005 World Series Champion Chicago White Sox to such a showdown prior to his Chiba Lotte Marines sweeping the 2005 Japan Series. Guillen never publicly responded, although I wouldn't doubt he's since made some insane comment related to it.

MarkZ35
03-23-2009, 02:26 PM
http://wearemoviegeeks.com/wp-content/mrbaseball.jpg
Votes Yes

thomas35forever
03-23-2009, 04:16 PM
No. The World Series was created to match up the American League champion and the National League champion. Let's keep it that way.

RockJock07
03-24-2009, 10:12 AM
Worst idea ever.

Awesome Post! Very thoughtful! I'm glad you took the time out of your day to post such an insight comment.

Anyways, in an article on ESPN.com last week by Jason Stark basiclly floated the same idea. I really like the idea of the WS winner playing the winner of the WBC.

However then you run into the same problems we have now with the WBC, players from this country don't treat it like a must win game. I feel like the WS winner wouldn't take it as serious as Japan would.

I think the WBC is great but it does need to be altered, the off-days is what really hurts the tournament as well as the fact that our best players don't want to player.

doublem23
03-24-2009, 10:18 AM
Anyways, in an article on ESPN.com last week by Jason Stark basiclly floated the same idea. I really like the idea of the WS winner playing the winner of the WBC.

Winning a 3-week, 39-total game tournament does not put you on the same level as a team that wins a grueling, 6-month 173-minimum game Major League season.

I like the WBC and I think it's a fine idea but please people... This is not the world's premier baseball competition.

Iwritecode
03-24-2009, 10:35 AM
Awesome Post! Very thoughtful! I'm glad you took the time out of your day to post such an insight comment.

It's really all that needed to be said.

I can't believe somebody would seriously suggest knocking an MLB team out of the playoffs for a non-MLB team. Having the WS winner play the team after the season is over is one thing. But this idea is just horrible.

Thome25
03-24-2009, 11:26 AM
This very question is why the champion in MLB is now called "World SERIES Champion" and not "World Champion". MLB is aware the there is very viable leagues elsewhere in the world. They are trying to be PC when crowning the champion in MLB.

tick53
03-24-2009, 11:32 AM
Definitely not! Does everything have to be global these days? Quite frankly, I'm getting sick to death of the way professional sports are being run in most aspects.

BleacherBandit
03-24-2009, 12:00 PM
If NPB teams wanted to play MLB teams in an exhibition, I'd be all for it. That would be awesome. But seriously, why do sports have to have international champions all the time? If you like that much international play, go to Europe and watch UEFA or something.

EndemicSox
03-24-2009, 04:09 PM
UEFA, or the set-up, is about as good as it comes in the world of sport.

EnglishChiSox
03-24-2009, 04:15 PM
UEFA, or the set-up, is about as good as it comes in the world of sport.

It still favours the big clubs in the big leagues in Europe, all the money is just recycled around those teams which bleeds football dry in Eastern Europe and below the top 4 in the big leagues.

I'd like to see the Japan series champion play the WS champion, perhaps a 2 game set in Spring Training towards the end when everybody is in good shape to enter the season, The players would only have to treat it like a normal last week of Spring Training where they are starting to ramp it up.

Railsplitter
03-24-2009, 04:38 PM
"World Champion" in any team sport in a myth. Who is the better team, a national team or team with an international roster? Most MLB teams have international rosters. Ditto the NBA, NHL, and any top-flight European soccer team like Manchester United or Real Madrid.

Ther's no way to settle which team in the World is best.