PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Strasburg

35th and Shields
03-21-2009, 06:39 PM
Apparently this guy throws 100 mph and has a plus curve and change. Scouts are claiming him to be the Lebron James of baseball and some even consider him to be better then A.J. Burnett RIGHT NOW. He's currently pitching for San Diego State

People are projecting his signing bonus to be near 20 mil, which would blow by the highest previous bonus of 10 mil.

Frater Perdurabo
03-21-2009, 06:49 PM
Coop will fix him! :tongue:

DumpJerry
03-21-2009, 07:12 PM
I caught the end of the piece about him on ESPN1000 this morning.

We've heard this song about others whose names cannot be recalled at the moment.....

tm1119
03-21-2009, 09:34 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/03/stephen-strasburg-demands.html

Wont be seeing him pitch for us anytime soon.

JermaineDye05
03-21-2009, 10:58 PM
Ah Kenny's plan now makes sense. I guess he's been talking to Strasburg and made sure he won't sign this year, which gives the opportunity for the Sox to place dead last in all of baseball so they can have the first pick in the 2010 draft and get Strasburg.

Go get him Kenny.

voodoochile
03-22-2009, 12:42 AM
Syd Finch is that you?

WSox597
03-22-2009, 08:38 AM
I caught the end of the piece about him on ESPN1000 this morning.

We've heard this song about others whose names cannot be recalled at the moment.....

Yeah, there was a young kid from the South playing for the Yankees. He was profiled on 60 MInutes, they had his mother on, the whole nine yards.

Wonder what happened to him? Kind of fell off the map, maybe he was injured?

dagame2005
03-22-2009, 10:51 AM
Every time I hear about a can't miss pitching prospect, I always think of Brien Taylor. Anybody remember him? I sadly admit to buying every one of his rookie cards when I was a kid.

areilly
03-22-2009, 12:36 PM
Todd Van Poppel!

JorgeFabregas
03-22-2009, 01:18 PM
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pVyw2JlloM

scarsofthumper
03-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Kid is legit. He pitched for Team USA in the Olympics too.

FedEx227
03-23-2009, 03:28 PM
You guys do realize there are certain highly touted guys that actually go on to have successful careers right?

Not every prospect is Joe Borchard or Tood Van Poppel.

Madscout
03-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Syd Finch is that you?
Set up the can, and play the Brahms trio...

areilly
03-23-2009, 06:12 PM
You guys do realize there are certain highly touted guys that actually go on to have successful careers right?

Not every prospect is Joe Borchard or Tood Van Poppel.

I know, but the Brien Taylor reference brought back a lot of hilarious baseball card memories. TVP was one such pursuit.

FedEx227
03-23-2009, 06:22 PM
I wasn't pointing out anyone's particular comments.

Just pointing out how people like to associate highly touted prospects with flameouts like Joe Borchard, etc.

Prince Fielder, David Price, Joey Votto, David Wright, Jose Reyes, BJ Upton, Ryan Howard, Joba Chamberlin and Evan Longoria among others are just a few of the "highly touted" prospects of the past 4-5 years that have went on to actually do something in the majors.

DumpJerry
03-24-2009, 07:16 PM
Article on Yahoo about him:
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=sh-strasburg032409&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The article mentions what I was thinking: this arm could last a year or two before blowing out. He's not going to be a reliever, he's a starter throwing 100 or so pitches per game, 300 innings a year. He could be the next Liriano.

Thatguyoverthere
03-25-2009, 01:15 AM
Damnit - nevermind. Just saw other thread.

Nellie_Fox
03-25-2009, 01:37 AM
Damnit - never mind. Just saw other thread.Merged.

sullythered
03-25-2009, 03:30 AM
There have been three other guys who threw 103 verified, Matt Anderson, Mark Wohlers, and Joel Zumaya.

Two of those guys have had major arm problems, the other one major control problems.

I'm not saying that this kid can't be great. I am saying anyone that gives Boras' kid 20 million dollars in bonus money before he does it in the show is a fool.

cws05champ
03-25-2009, 09:16 AM
There have been three other guys who threw 103 verified, Matt Anderson, Mark Wohlers, and Joel Zumaya.

Two of those guys have had major arm problems, the other one major control problems.

I'm not saying that this kid can't be great. I am saying anyone that gives Boras' kid 20 million dollars in bonus money before he does it in the show is a fool.
Agreed, but with the Nationals not signing their 1st round pick from last year....they are almost forced to pay this guy his demands. If they let a talent like him slip past them because of signability it would be a huge blow to the fanbase. I would just be sick to watch him slip 8-15 slots in the draft because of the high demands.

I hope he learns that he doesn't need to throw 100mph to be successful with the nasty offspeed stuff he has. Location and movement are more important to success than just high end veloicity.

PaleHoser
03-25-2009, 10:34 AM
I can't see the Nationals drafting him. That team has too many holes, and if Bora$ thinks he can squeeze $20M from a major league team he'll shoot for $40M from the Nationals. They need ALOT of help.

Rob Neyer wrote a pretty good column on Strasburg (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=neyer_rob&id=4012104) and past history on "can't miss" pitchers, including Sox immortal Floyd Bannister. It's worth the read.

RichFitztightly
03-25-2009, 10:50 AM
Kid is legit. He pitched for Team USA in the Olympics too.

So did Jon Rauch

FedEx227
03-25-2009, 11:38 AM

The thing is though Strasburg isn't a one-pitch pitcher, he can put less on his fastball and still be ultra-effective because of his + slider and decent change.

soxfan13
03-25-2009, 12:03 PM
I wasn't pointing out anyone's particular comments.

Just pointing out how people like to associate highly touted prospects with flameouts like Joe Borchard, etc.

Prince Fielder, David Price, Joey Votto, David Wright, Jose Reyes, BJ Upton, Ryan Howard, Joba Chamberlin and Evan Longoria among others are just a few of the "highly touted" prospects of the past 4-5 years that have went on to actually do something in the majors.

Couple of these guys werent exactly pegged cant miss, Howard (5th round) Votto (2nd round) I would like to see some/alot more from Price(might start in AAA due to some other players that are out of options),Votto, Chamberlin and Longoria before I would tab them successes:shrug:

NLaloosh
03-25-2009, 12:25 PM
If he drops the Padres should pick him. They would have the least trouble signing him. I predict this will happen. His whole family is from San Diego and Peavey is his favorite player.

cws05champ
03-25-2009, 12:36 PM
The thing is though Strasburg isn't a one-pitch pitcher, he can put less on his fastball and still be ultra-effective because of his + slider and decent change.
But it's the slider that will put more stress on the elbow and shoulder and cause a potential breakdown.

DirtySox
03-25-2009, 01:47 PM
Strasburg is insanely good.

I'll go look for links, but I've read a few scouts say if he signs early he could be inserted into the Nationals rotation and immediately be their number 1 pitcher. (Not that it is likely to happen)

RockJock07
03-25-2009, 10:56 PM
If he drops the Padres should pick him. They would have the least trouble signing him. I predict this will happen. His whole family is from San Diego and Peavey is his favorite player.

Problem with that is that Peavy will be dealt by the time the draft happens or soon there after!

DSpivack
03-25-2009, 11:29 PM
Problem with that is that Peavy will be dealt by the time the draft happens or soon there after!

Probably not, they have a new owner now and things should stabilize now. I don't think Peavy is going anywhere, unless the baseball side of the organization finds it in their best interest to try and get a nice package deal for him.

DirtySox
03-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Strasburg Ready to Bring It (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/lee_jenkins/03/25/stephen.strasburg/index.html?eref=T1)

Good read. Will be fun to watch this kid progress.