PDA

View Full Version : Nice article on best Sox players by number

Frater Perdurabo
03-21-2009, 07:40 AM
The Tribune's Bob Vanderberg has published a nice article (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-sox-bynumbers-gallery,0,2706853.photogallery) on the best Sox players by uniform number. There are plenty of photos of each player selected.

What do you think about his selections? Any surprises or disagreements?

TheCommander
03-21-2009, 09:18 AM
More proof that Aaron Rowand was one of the best Sox ever! :redneck

Hitmen77
03-21-2009, 09:46 AM
The Tribune's Bob Vanderberg has published a nice article (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-sox-bynumbers-gallery,0,2706853.photogallery) on the best Sox players by uniform number. There are plenty of photos of each player selected.

What do you think about his selections? Any surprises or disagreements?

Does this appear in the print edition of the Saturday Tribune? If so, I might actually run out and get a hard copy.

Frater Perdurabo
03-21-2009, 09:54 AM
Does this appear in the print edition of the Saturday Tribune? If so, I might actually run out and get a hard copy.

I don't know. If it did, I too would buy a copy. But that's kind of hard given that I live 1000 miles from Chicago! :tongue:

Corlose 15
03-21-2009, 10:03 AM
Depending on how long he stays around Bobby will probably outpace Carlos for number 45. Who knows, Gavin Floyd might eventually take over 34 as well.

TommyJohn
03-21-2009, 10:28 AM
His sarcastic jibes at the mediocre players who have worn Sox numbers got lame after a while. Seriously, Bob, there are only so many jokes you can make at the expense of the likes of Gail Hopkins and Jesse Jefferson before it just finally gets annoying. At least old Bob isn't writing any articles about how the Sox have sucked in years after a division title or highlighting the chilling similarities between DeWayne Wise and Ed "the Creeper" Stroud....yet. But I say give him a couple of months.

LITTLE NELL
03-21-2009, 02:37 PM
His article brings to mind that when I show up to the golf course I always grab a cart that has a number of a member of the Sox, today I had #2 and we all know who that is. Yesterday I had Richie Allen's #15. It always cracks up the cart guys with my idiosyncracy and they always ask what players number I have. They are young guys and have not heard of quite a few of the old time Sox like Appling, Lyons et al.

Bucky F. Dent
03-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Didn't know Dick Donovan, but where's the love for Ivan Calderon at 22?

esbrechtel
03-21-2009, 04:16 PM

No I read the trib today and it was not in there...

Lip Man 1
03-21-2009, 05:39 PM
Bucky:

With all due respect to Ivan, he couldn't come close to comparing to Dick Donovan.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
03-21-2009, 06:23 PM
Bucky:

With all due respect to Ivan, he couldn't come close to comparing to Dick Donovan.

Lip
Donovan had some pretty good years with the Sox, going 16-6 in 1957. Best memory of him is getting last 5 outs in game 5 of the 59 WS as we won 1-0 which sent the series back to the real ballpark only to lose game 6 and the series.

TheCommander
03-21-2009, 07:08 PM
Someone needs to tell Bob that Harold already has a statue in his honor.

Bucky F. Dent
03-21-2009, 07:58 PM
Bucky:

Lip

I'll give it up to Donovan, just had to give a little shout for Ivan.

johnnyg83
03-21-2009, 08:44 PM
I know Pods didn't have a long tenure on the South Side, but certainly no #22 has made more of an impactin his short stay.

Of course, I rank Game 2 of the 2005 WS as the greatest in-city victory by a Chicago team of all time.

PeteWard
03-21-2009, 11:22 PM
8 is an outrage! :o::mad::angry:

cheezheadsoxfan
03-21-2009, 11:36 PM

I was a little bummed by that too. Belle doesn't deserve it just for the asshat factor.

Nice to see Jerry Staley. I remember being on the back porch of our southside bungelow, actually kneeling in prayer when Staley threw that pitch. Then my older brother drove us out to Midway.

LongLiveFisk
03-21-2009, 11:37 PM

Wow, I was really expecting to see Bo Jackson there. :scratch:

Nellie_Fox
03-21-2009, 11:56 PM
Wow, I was really expecting to see Bo Jackson there. :scratch:Bo was a great story, but he didn't play much, and really didn't put up very good numbers.

My biggest disagreement was at 26. I don't really know anything about Clint Brown, but with the numbers they put there, I'd have gone Earl Battey.

Lip Man 1
03-22-2009, 12:10 AM
Every time I try to bring it up, it seems to take forever and never advances on to the next number.

Lip

TommyJohn
03-22-2009, 12:20 AM
Bo was a great story, but he didn't play much, and really didn't put up very good numbers.

My biggest disagreement was at 26. I don't really know anything about Clint Brown, but with the numbers they put there, I'd have gone Earl Battey.

But Battey wasn't around very long. He left with his best years ahead of him.

Nellie_Fox
03-22-2009, 12:31 AM
Every time I try to bring it up, it seems to take forever and never advances on to the next number.

LipIt is a little confusing. It doesn't advance automatically. You have to keep clicking, either on the next number or on the arrow on the far right.

TornLabrum
03-22-2009, 09:18 AM
To me #3 will always mean Fred Hatfield.

As for #8, Pete Ward was with the Sox longer and wasn't a complete jerk. Belle had one monster season that really began after the Sox were out of contention.

#17: I'm kind of glad Bob went with a tie rather than choosing one over the other. Chico is the reason I'm a baseball fan in general and a Sox fan in particular (and you can go to the archives on the main page to find out why), but Carlos had some very good years with the Sox (as Bob noted) despite blowing off his thumb.

#22: I saw Donovan pitch in a Sox uniform from '55 until he was traded. He was a very good pitcher. His real competition (because in my mind longevity also counts would be Manos and Calderon, both of whom had some pretty good years, but Donovan was the #2 pitcher on one of the best pitching staffs in baseball for many years.

#23 I love Robin and I love Dye. But I love Robin more. Good choice.

#24: Early Wynn had a monster season in 1959 at the age of 39. He and Bob Shaw carried the Sox on their backs that year because of injuries to Pierce (shoulder) and Donovan (hip) that left them with losing records. I go with him over Crede. I'd also point out that Wynn might not have had so much trouble in winning #300 if Lopez hadn't made him miss a start so he could win it at home (which he didn't).

#45: I have to go with Jenks over Lee. Lee never played for a world champion, and Jenks has been an outstanding relief pitcher for four seasons now. Remember I grew up with the Go-Go Sox where pitching and defense really mattered, and Lee has little to recommend in the defensive aspect of his game.

#50: Deacon Jones????? Yeah, he had one good year as a pinch hitter, but (and this is obviously anecdotal) my memory of him is a number less than .200 under his name when he'd come to bat most of the time with the Sox. Juan Agosto? Why not? Barry Jones? Maybe.

Lip Man 1
03-22-2009, 11:46 AM
Nellie:

I've tried that...it just sits there on the opening logo.

Lip

soxinem1
03-22-2009, 12:52 PM
I disagree with a few, but they were pretty accuraqte.

However, couldn't they get a better close up shot of Contreras for #52? He looks like he's slobbering all over the place.

LongLiveFisk
03-22-2009, 06:58 PM
Bo was a great story, but he didn't play much, and really didn't put up very good numbers.

I agree but somehow I still expected to see him there for some reason.

Bucky F. Dent
03-22-2009, 07:50 PM

Thank you. Forgot about that. Don't care how short Bo Jackson's tenure was, I'll take him over Albert Belle.

Lip Man 1
03-22-2009, 08:16 PM
Bucky:

Given the 'name' of the poster I don't thinks he wants EITHER Belle or Jackson for uniform #8 (and he has a valid point...)

Lip

Nellie_Fox
03-23-2009, 12:57 AM
Bucky:

Given the 'name' of the poster I don't thinks he wants EITHER Belle or Jackson for uniform #8 (and he has a valid point...)

LipYeah, I was a Pete Ward fan as a teen. He had some very good years with the Sox.

WhiteSox5187
03-23-2009, 03:22 AM
This is a game I will often play in class when I get bored and it gets pretty difficult. Now, since I was born in '87 I'm biased towards the "Good Guys Wear Black" era but that was a pretty comprehensive list, a lot of numbers on my list get left blank. My disagreements:

1. Lance Johnson over Jim Landis - No disrepect to Landis but when I see someone wearing the number one I instantly think "One Dog." Again, this is a result of being born in '87.

8. Bo Jackson over Belle - granted he didn't play a lot but he hit one of the most famous homeruns in Sox history. Belle was one of the most hated players on the southside, Jackson was loved.

20. In another couple of years Quentin gets it over Horlen.

22. Scott Podsednik over Dick Donovan - With all due respect to Dick Donovan, Richie Zisk, Ivan Calderon and Jose Valentin, when I think of the number 22 I can still see that ball flying off Pods bat in game 2 of the World Series. He was the spark plug that lit the ignition that year. The number goes to him.

25. Jim Thome over Tommy John - I never saw John pitch, but if Seaver can get his number on his list so can Jim Thome, one of the most feared left handed hitters of the 1990s and a pure gentlemen. Also he gets points for being the only player in a White Sox uniform to hit 500 HRs.

34. Freddie Garcia over Richard Dotson - Both had relatively short careers with the Sox and both played key roles in '83 and '05 respectively, but Freddie has the ring and I also saw him pitch.

38. For whatever reason when I think of 38, I think of Pablo Ozuna. He was one of my favorite Sox players of all time, so for purely sentimental reasons, he gets the number.

45. Bobby Jenks over Carlos Lee - While I like Carlos, he wasn't even the best hitter on the Sox when he played here, Jenks is certainly the best reliever and has a ring to show for it.

Steve Trout deserves special mention because he didn't give 27 over to Fisk in 1981 which made him take 72.

HomeFish
03-23-2009, 03:35 AM
#22 was Ed Farmer too.

#43 will always be the Milkman for me.

whitesox901
03-23-2009, 04:04 AM
Anyone know which park that old picture of Nellie is at? I wanna say either Sportsman Park/Busch I or Griffith Stadium

Thome25
03-23-2009, 08:09 AM
I love the selections at 12, 14, 23, 29, 56, and of course 72. Especially 23......greatest 3B in White Sox history and a solid person too.....I wish JD would've chosen any number other than 23.

I'm surprised BA wasn't selected at 44 and 32.

Thome25
03-23-2009, 08:23 AM
45. Bobby Jenks over Carlos Lee - While I like Carlos, he wasn't even the best hitter on the Sox when he played here, Jenks is certainly the best reliever and has a ring to show for it.

#45: I have to go with Jenks over Lee. Lee never played for a world champion, and Jenks has been an outstanding relief pitcher for four seasons now. Remember I grew up with the Go-Go Sox where pitching and defense really mattered, and Lee has little to recommend in the defensive aspect of his game.

I agree wholeheartedly. #45 belongs to Bobby Jenks PERIOD. He came up huge in the WS at home vs Houston when he struck out Bagwell. He also recorded the last outs of the first WS victory for our White Sox in 88 years. All this while he was a ROOKIE. He continues to be one of the best closers in Sox history.

Caballo was good but he was just another power-hitting, no-glove, "should've been a DH" outfielder in Sox history.

tebman
03-23-2009, 10:08 AM
I agree wholeheartedly. #45 belongs to Bobby Jenks PERIOD. He came up huge in the WS at home vs Houston when he struck out Bagwell. He also recorded the last outs of the first WS victory for our White Sox in 88 years. All this while he was a ROOKIE. He continues to be one of the best closers in Sox history.

Caballo was good but he was just another power-hitting, no-glove, "should've been a DH" outfielder in Sox history.

I have to join the chorus on this one. Carlos Lee was a pretty good hitter and a crummy outfielder. Bobby Jenks has been one of the league's most dominant relievers since he came up, and he pitched his best stuff when it counted and when the pressure was greatest.

Carlos Lee, indeed. :rolleyes:

I don't get the choice for #8 either. Besides his personality, Belle wasn't here long enough for his hitting to make a difference, so I don't understand that choice. Pete Ward was something of a hotdog but he was a steady thirdbaseman for a team that was always in contention.

PaleHoser
03-23-2009, 01:32 PM
Steve Trout deserves special mention because he didn't give 27 over to Fisk in 1981 which made him take 72.

Steve Trout wore #33. Ken Kravec (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/roster.php?y=1980&t=CHA) had #27 when Carlton Fisk signed with the Sox. He was traded to the Cubs at the end of spring training for Dennis Lamp, but Fisk never changed his number.

Sox ended up issuing #27 to Lynn McGlothen (http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/roster.php?y=1981&t=CHA) later that season.

Can't say I disagree with many of these choices. Reading it reminded me of a quote from Ozzie a few years ago about the Sox not being cursed, but having some horsebleep teams.

Lip Man 1
03-23-2009, 03:10 PM
Fisk chose #72 because (in his words) it represented a "new start" for him after wearing #27 for all those years in Boston.

Lip

Lip Man 1
03-23-2009, 03:12 PM
Also this is a few years old now but you may enjoy scanning through it:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=3&id=1893

Lip

Nellie_Fox
03-23-2009, 03:14 PM
Fisk chose #72 because (in his words) it represented a "new start" for him after wearing #27 for all those years in Boston.

LipThat was my memory of it as well, plus it being the year his son was born.

soxrme
03-23-2009, 04:26 PM
1) Paciorek over Lemon
2) Jenks
3) Jim Landis was the best centerfielder the Sox ever had. One dog was just not anywhere near him as a fielder and he had a way better arm.

TornLabrum
03-23-2009, 05:39 PM
1) Paciorek over Lemon
2) Jenks
3) Jim Landis was the best centerfielder the Sox ever had. One dog was just not anywhere near him as a fielder and he had a way better arm.

Depending on my mood, I'll go with either Landis or Ken Berry as the best Sox CF ever. Both were better than One Dog.

PeteWard
03-24-2009, 10:48 AM
Thank you. Forgot about that. Don't care how short Bo Jackson's tenure was, I'll take him over Albert Belle.

I was not referring to Jackson, I meant my "namesake".:D:

Thome25
03-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Yeah Jackson should definitely own #8. What no support for Crazy Carl?

LITTLE NELL
03-25-2009, 04:25 PM
Anyone know which park that old picture of Nellie is at? I wanna say either Sportsman Park/Busch I or Griffith Stadium
That picture was taken at old Wrigley Field in Los Angeles where the Angels played in their 1st year in 1961. It was also the home of Home Run Derby and many baseball movies.