PDA

View Full Version : Can LaRussa catch McGraw?

eastchicagosoxfan
03-18-2009, 09:22 PM
John McGraw won 2763 games as manager of the Orioles and Giants. Tony LaRussa has 2461 wins with the Sox, A's and Cardinals. LaRussa is 63 years old and needs 303 victories to overtake McGraw. He's in the last year of his contract. Has anyone heard about the Cards extending LaRussa? He's certainly aware that he needs four mediocre seasons to pass McGraw. I think LaRussa will pass McGraw. In case anyone is wondering, LaRussa would need 1270 wins to tie Connie Mack.

Nellie_Fox
03-18-2009, 11:54 PM
LaRussa made much of his career by turning a blind eye to steroid use. His records are as tainted as the steroid users are.

It's Dankerific
03-19-2009, 12:00 AM
LaRussa made much of his career by turning a blind eye to steroid use. His records are as tainted as the steroid users are.

Joe Torre too?

areilly
03-19-2009, 09:58 AM
Joe Torre too?

Absolutely, although to his credit Torre hasn't made a second career of denying anything of the PED sort went on in baseball.

Red Barchetta
03-19-2009, 09:59 AM
Joe Torre too?

...and Dusty Baker, Don Baylor, Phil Garner, etc. As the steroid era (hopefully) comes to an end, the blame needs to be shared among the players (union), agents, managers/coaching staff, trainers, owners and even the commissioner.

The players who were already very good destroyed hallowed records while players who were below average or average were able to stay in the league longer.

Everyone turned their head because butts were in the seats, ratings were up as well as revenues. It wasn't until some hallowed records were under assult that MLB woke up.

I didn't hear the Tribune company screaming about the evils of steroids when Sosa and McGwire were chasing Maris...

gregoriop
03-19-2009, 10:50 AM

Is is the managers job to police what they put in their bodies? I'm asking.

No matter how many 'roiders you have on your team, you still have to win. As far as I'm concerned, he's not any more tainted by steroids as any other manager in this era.

NLaloosh
03-19-2009, 12:02 PM
To answer your question - yes. If Tony manages 4 more years, including this one, he will pass McGraw in wins.

PKalltheway
03-19-2009, 12:15 PM
I think he can, it's just a question of whether or not he wants to continue to manage after this year. It's similar to Greg Maddux. He could have passed Warren Spahn this year, who many people consider to be the winningest pitcher in the modern era, but he decided to retire instead (probably for the better).

downstairs
03-19-2009, 12:56 PM
Is is the managers job to police what they put in their bodies? I'm asking.

No, but it is EVERYONE'S responsibility to police cheating.

SoxyStu
03-19-2009, 02:23 PM
No, but it is EVERYONE'S responsibility to police cheating.

Please take a trip to the real world. It's so...real!

Nellie_Fox
03-19-2009, 02:23 PM
...he's not any more tainted by steroids as any other manager in this era.It didn't start in Oakland, but it became an epidemic there, while LaRussa was manager. That, and has been stated, he has continued to defend 'roiders and act like he doesn't believe it was going on. I think he did more than just ignore it, he enabled it, in order to win. So, yes, I think he's more culpable than most. Just my opinion.