PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Hotels/Restaurants in Cincinnati for WSox Series in June?

TomBradley72
03-18-2009, 08:20 PM
I'm planning on making the trip (with my 82 y.o. mother, a "native") for the weekend. We're definitely going to the Saturday night Civil Rights game, probably the Sunday afternoon game as well.

Looking for suggestions on hotels (especially downtown, near the ballpark if possible) as well as good restaurants or things to do along the river. I'd like to make this as easy on her as possible from a logistics standpoint.

whitesox901
03-18-2009, 08:28 PM
Skyline Chilli

Streets
03-18-2009, 08:57 PM
There's a place in KY (just across the river) that has like a citywalk type of thing with shops, movie theater and numerous restaurants. It's right across from the ballpark. Went there when I was visiting a friend @ UC, she said it was "the place to go."

It was nice, if I remember correctly most eateries were chain type places.

soxinem1
03-18-2009, 10:01 PM
We went last year and stayed in Sharonville, which is just outside the city. Better hotels and better neighborhood too. Downtown Cinci can be a bit scary.

Go on Expedia.com and they can get you the best price and accomodation I have seen.

Also, right across the bridge into Kentucky is a cool, free Civil War museum in Covington called the James A. Ramage Civil War Museum. It is in a house and has a lot of cool stuff on display.

There is another one in Covington called Behringer-Crawford whcih has a small admission charge, but is much larger and filled even more with great Civil War artifacts, if that is your thing.

PKalltheway
03-19-2009, 12:18 PM
The Hilton Netherland Plaza, the Hyatt, the Millenium, and the Westin are all within easy walking distance of GABP. I'm not too sure about the availability of the Westin since visting teams usually stay there. There are cheaper hotels across the river in Covington and Bellevue, as well as the suburbs around Cincy.

There are good restaurants, but most of them are national chains. Nonetheless, you can still get some Skyline Chili downtown on Vine Street before the game, and Montgomery Inn ribs after the game (a short cab ride away). Another good place to eat after the game is Via Vite, a nice little Italian place in Fountain Square. However, most of the activity (as far as places to eat and shop) is across the river in Newport.

As far as things to do, you could always go to the Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame and Museum, which is a really interesting place. Also, there is The Underground Railroad Freedom Center which is right next to the ballpark if you're in an American history sort of mood. There's the Newport Aquarium right across the river as well.

I hope I was able to get you started.:smile:

wulfy
03-19-2009, 04:31 PM
I'll second Montgomery Inn for BBQ .... you may encounter a wait depending on what time you go.

chisoxfan83
03-19-2009, 04:59 PM
I'll second Montgomery Inn for BBQ .... you may encounter a wait depending on what time you go.

Montgomery Inn was good, we went and the wait wasnt too bad but it was still a wait in the early afternoon. We went in 2006. Also if your gonna go out and do the night scene, I know your mom is 82 but hey who knows, there is a martini bar close to the westin we went to met BA and paulie there. There were also other players there, the two of them were just sitting at the bar.

ChicagoRushFan
03-19-2009, 05:29 PM
Skyline Chili is awful, don't believe what you are told.

I've seen two games at Riverfront and one at the new park, and all three times traffic management after the games was awful. If I go again I'm going to park downtown and walk to the stadium. That probably isn't an option with an 82 year old, but just beware of it. They could have solved the problems by now kinda like how Miller Park is easier to get out of than it used to be, but who knows.

areilly
03-20-2009, 11:24 AM
The bars are all across the river in Newport-on-the-Levee. Go there. It is awesome.

skottyj242
03-20-2009, 11:26 AM
The bars are all across the river in Newport-on-the-Levee. Go there. It is awesome.

He's talking about going with his 82 year old mother. The real fun place to go if you're younger is Mt. Adams or whatever it is called.

alsoxfan
03-21-2009, 08:07 PM
I was in Cincy a couple of years ago and hofbrauhaus (http://www.hofbrauhausnewport.com/) in Newport was good and fun.

Illini Stripes
03-22-2009, 09:50 AM
I was out that way in the fall when St. Rita played in the Kurt Herbstreit Classic. I decided to hit a Reds game before the football game in the evening. We stayed at the Courtyard in Covington. We took the public transportation which picked us up right in front of the Courtyard for a few bucks and drops you off between Paul Brown Stadium and Great American Ballpark. Great ballpark!

DumpJerry
03-22-2009, 06:46 PM
Montgomery Inn is great for BBQ.

Don't go out for Skyline, they have it at the ballpark.

The Thomenator
03-22-2009, 06:56 PM
I was in Cincy a couple of years ago and hofbrauhaus (http://www.hofbrauhausnewport.com/) in Newport was good and fun.

I've been there a couple times as well. It blows away Chicago's Uberstein. It's got an enormous beer garden, replicated from the original in Munich.