PDA

View Full Version : Mike McDougal

Carolina Kenny
03-18-2009, 06:24 PM
Does he get released if we can't include him in a trade?

The Dude
03-18-2009, 06:37 PM
We have no player by that name on our team.

Frater Perdurabo
03-18-2009, 06:44 PM
How has he been pitching?

It's such a shame he doesn't have consistent command, because he's got such great stuff.

Madscout
03-18-2009, 06:46 PM
How has he been pitching?

It's such a shame he doesn't have consistent command, because he's got such great stuff.
Just saw him, and it is the same old story, although he got some sliders over that looked nice. I just think he overthrows that fastball, and it ends up in the dirt 3 feet in front of the plate. I don't think he will be with us this year, and most likely will be traded for a bag of balls.

jabrch
03-18-2009, 06:48 PM
, and most likely will be traded for a bag of balls.

Nobody would give us a bag of balls for him - not unless we gave them a big bag of cash back.

Wouldn't surprise me if he spends all season in Charlotte.

Frater Perdurabo
03-18-2009, 06:51 PM
Coop'll fix him, right?:tongue:

Madscout
03-18-2009, 06:54 PM
Coop'll fix him, right?:tongue:
I think he has tried, and failed. He can't fix everything.:(:

cwsfannick
03-18-2009, 06:57 PM
MacDougal has never been able to figure it out while with the Sox. He'll spend the year in Charlotte. The Sox have given this guy more chances then he has deserved.

JB98
03-18-2009, 07:00 PM
Does he get released if we can't include him in a trade?

I think he'd just be outrighted to the minors. He isn't even on the 40-man roster anymore.

The Sox are going to pay his contract one way or another. They are going to pay him to rot in the minors, or they are going to pay some team to take him off their hands.

Frater Perdurabo
03-18-2009, 07:04 PM
I think he'd just be outrighted to the minors. He isn't even on the 40-man roster anymore.

The Sox are going to pay his contract one way or another. They are going to pay him to rot in the minors, or they are going to pay some team to take him off their hands.

Might as well keep him and hope that, if injury affects the pen, or if someone else is ineffective, that if he's called up he can recapture his 2006 magic.

guillensdisciple
03-18-2009, 07:32 PM
Might as well keep him and hope that, if injury affects the pen, or if someone else is ineffective, that if he's called up he can recapture his 2006 magic.

If he pitches well for two months, the White Sox should jump all over him and trade as fast as possible. He can pull that off, and if he does, we might get some decent young players in return.

Frater Perdurabo
03-18-2009, 07:52 PM
If he pitches well for two months, the White Sox should jump all over him and trade as fast as possible. He can pull that off, and if he does, we might get some decent young players in return.

Even if MacDougal is lights out for 2-3 months, I do not think that he'd fetch much in a trade.

thedudeabides
03-18-2009, 07:58 PM
Even if MacDougal is lights out for 2-3 months, I do not think that he'd fetch much in a trade.

You're probably right, but it just takes one sucker to see a power arm and think they can fix him. We've been that sucker before with guys like Aardsma, and well MacDougal.

SoxGirl4Life
03-18-2009, 08:04 PM
I like the option where I never see him jogging out of the bullpen for the Sox. Ever.

parlaycard
03-18-2009, 11:23 PM
he needs to go, i dont want to see what happens if hes lights out in the minors. as if thast were possible

champagne030
03-18-2009, 11:29 PM
That was a big swing and a miss by Kenny on the trade and contract.

Tragg
03-19-2009, 10:34 AM
If we agree to pay his salary he might.
And we should be willing to do so .... We'd be paying his salary anyway.

Foulke You
03-19-2009, 02:36 PM
No disagreement there, however, at the time signing MacDougal seemed like a wise decision and there wasn't much negativity surrounding the move if memory serves. MacDougal was coming off a very solid year in 2006, he was still relatively young and it seemed as if Coop and the Sox had a handle on him. I don't think anyone saw the train wreck that lay ahead in 2007 for MacDougal. This is the danger of signing long term deals for pitchers, especially relievers. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose big.

dickallen15
03-19-2009, 02:40 PM

The trade wasn't bad, he didn't give up anyone that amounted to anything. MacDougal was very good in 2006 for the Sox, but has not been able to throw strikes since. If he could, he would be very good.