PDA

View Full Version : Spring Cuts

Sockinchisox
03-18-2009, 12:44 PM
Sox have cut 12 more including Viciedo who was optioned to Charlotte.

Other notables are Allen and Armstrong.

Van Benschoten and Flowers were reassigned to minor league camp.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/03/white-sox-cut-12-including-viciedo.html

kittle42
03-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Can they just reassign JVB to the Pirates, instead?

munchman33
03-18-2009, 12:49 PM
This means Fields officially has the third base job.

oeo
03-18-2009, 12:53 PM
This means Fields officially has the third base job.

You could make a case for Betemit who is having a huge Spring Training if Fields was to fall off. But it was Fields' job to lose, and he definitely hasn't done that with over a .400 BA and solid D.

WHILEPITCH
03-18-2009, 12:54 PM
Viciedo's a prime example of excitement just bubbling over with nothing substantive behind it.

He's 19 and has unknowns in his background, no matter how he's touted he shouldntve been in our minds as having much of a chance to make this right off.

sox1970
03-18-2009, 01:01 PM
Viciedo's a prime example of excitement just bubbling over with nothing substantive behind it.

He's 19 and has unknowns in his background, no matter how he's touted he shouldn't have been in our minds as having much of a chance to make this right off.

He's 20. I think it was clear from the beginning of spring training he needs some seasoning. He's never played a full season of professional baseball, and he's not Alexei Ramirez. They're different people. A full season at Charlotte is what the kid needs.

DumpJerry
03-18-2009, 01:05 PM
All twelve players and their new homes listed here (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20090318&content_id=4011906&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws).

sox1970
03-18-2009, 01:35 PM
Kelvin Jimenez was moved out too. 40 left in camp.

cws05champ
03-18-2009, 01:44 PM

He's 19 and has unknowns in his background, no matter how he's touted he shouldntve been in our minds as having much of a chance to make this right off.
I think most that were bubbling over are the unrealistic fans. He's 19 and will be playing in AAA, that is saying something about this kid's skills and upside. If the Sox assigned him to low A ball I would worry a little if that's what the Sox think of his competition level at this point.

cws05champ
03-18-2009, 01:48 PM
Kelvin Jimenez was moved out too. 40 left in camp.
Where does that leave our 40 man roster at? 37?

sox1970
03-18-2009, 01:49 PM
Where does that leave our 40 man roster at? 37?

He's still on the 40-man. It's at 38 now.

bradchifan3
03-18-2009, 01:50 PM
Wake me up when Jerry Owens is DFA

scarsofthumper
03-18-2009, 02:05 PM
Who's our backup catcher?

sox1970
03-18-2009, 02:12 PM
Who's our backup catcher?

Right now, it's Corky Miller.

russ99
03-18-2009, 04:34 PM

You'll be sleeping awhile. Hate to break it to ya...

JermaineDye05
03-18-2009, 04:36 PM

I believe they're saving him to trade for Tim Lincecum and Matt Cain.

EnglishChiSox
03-18-2009, 04:42 PM
You'll be sleeping awhile. Hate to break it to ya...

I was hoping that it meant bradchifan would not be posting on here until it happens, what with all that sleeping, no such luck. :(:

Tragg
03-18-2009, 04:54 PM
Gotta be careful doing that - he's out of options and someone may claim him.:tongue:

whitesox901
03-18-2009, 04:57 PM
You could make a case for Betemit who is having a huge Spring Training if Fields was to fall off. But it was Fields' job to lose, and he definitely hasn't done that with over a .400 BA and solid D.

good point

A. Cavatica
03-18-2009, 09:09 PM
No real news here...

Before camp began, I would've given Armstrong and Viciedo a 25% chance of making the opening day roster. Armstrong would have to have beaten out Miller and Stewart by a decent margin, since the Sox want a right-handed hitting backup; Viciedo would've had to beat out Fields and we didn't know how his glove work would be.

Who else do you think had even a 10% chance of making the roster? Flowers? (Maybe if Thome got hurt.) Restovich or German? I can't see it. The other guys were strictly up on a get-acquainted basis.

The next round of cuts is when things will start to get interesting.

Britt Burns
03-18-2009, 09:27 PM

Nothing substansive? He's 20 and held his own on major league camp. All reports on his hitting are positive. The kid is going to b a stud, just probably not this year at themajor league level.

tm1119
03-22-2009, 03:54 PM
What are the chances that Lillibridge doesnt make this team? Hes been down right awful at the plate, striking out 19 times and only drawing 1 walk in 46 AB' this spring. I realize that he is our only backup middle IF (im not counting Betemit there) but hes done nothing to warrant a roster spot. Any other options out there for a backup IF? Id hate to see Alexei or Getz go down and have him starting for an extended period of time.

Konerko05
03-22-2009, 05:52 PM
What are the chances that Lillibridge doesnt make this team? Hes been down right awful at the plate, striking out 19 times and only drawing 1 walk in 46 AB' this spring. I realize that he is our only backup middle IF (im not counting Betemit there) but hes done nothing to warrant a roster spot. Any other options out there for a backup IF? Id hate to see Alexei or Getz go down and have him starting for an extended period of time.

Yeah, I expected a little more out of Lillibridge. 19 SO with 1 BB is just awful. Unfortunately, it looks as if he has to make the team. The team needs a back up SS. Lillibridge also looks like he can play just about anywhere on the field. His defense up the middle and speed should help the team off the bench. I just hope he doesn't get many at bats. A part of me would like to see him go to AAA and work on his hitting. A part of me also thinks he is just a bad hitter, and the ML team needs him.

Don't worry about Lillibridge starting for an extended period of time if Alexei or Getz go down. Beckham would be called up in that situation.

sox1970
03-22-2009, 05:59 PM
Lillibridge today: 1-5, 2 k's, 2 errors

Lip Man 1
03-22-2009, 06:01 PM
Anyone else notice that since Fields "won" the 3rd base job he's been making a lot of errors...another one Sunday.

Lip

Konerko05
03-22-2009, 06:37 PM
Anyone else notice that since Fields "won" the 3rd base job he's been making a lot of errors...another one Sunday.

Lip

Maybe he just needs another weekend with Cora.

oeo
03-22-2009, 06:44 PM

If Getz or Alexei go down, there's Beckham. Lillibridge will make the team as a utility guy because we don't have anyone else.

Lip

Here we go. Every time he makes an error we're going to hear how he isn't Joe Crede.

bradchifan3
03-22-2009, 06:47 PM
Yeah, I expected a little more out of Lillibridge. 19 SO with 1 BB is just awful. Unfortunately, it looks as if he has to make the team. The team needs a back up SS. Lillibridge also looks like he can play just about anywhere on the field. His defense up the middle and speed should help the team off the bench. I just hope he doesn't get many at bats. A part of me would like to see him go to AAA and work on his hitting. A part of me also thinks he is just a bad hitter, and the ML team needs him.

Don't worry about Lillibridge starting for an extended period of time if Alexei or Getz go down. Beckham would be called up in that situation.

Exactly, if Lillibridge doesn't step up, Beckham would be the guy in an injury situation. The only reason Beckham wouldn't be the backup up on the opening day roster is because they want him playing everyday.

cws05champ
03-22-2009, 07:31 PM
Exactly, if Lillibridge doesn't step up, Beckham would be the guy in an injury situation. The only reason Beckham wouldn't be the backup up on the opening day roster is because they want him playing everyday.
The thing that would be interesting is if Beckham plays SS everyday in the minors and Getz gets hurt, would Nix get the call or Beckham. And if it is Beckham then does he play SS and TCM goes to 2B?

I think unless Lillibridge struggles mightily both in the field and plate(which is a good possibility), he'll stay on the roster.

Lip Man 1
03-22-2009, 08:14 PM
OEO:

Nothing could be further then the truth. I'm pissed about the overall garbage defense so far this spring. Not singling out one individual. The errors have been coming in buckets. 25 so far, which leads the Cactus League. Four Sunday, two Saturday.

I thought teams got better as the spring progressed?

Ozzie apparently had enough of it after Sunday's game according to Mark Gonzales of the Tribune.

Lip

Sargeant79
03-23-2009, 08:01 AM
The thing that would be interesting is if Beckham plays SS everyday in the minors and Getz gets hurt, would Nix get the call or Beckham. And if it is Beckham then does he play SS and TCM goes to 2B?

I think it would depend on the severity of the injury. If Getz requires nothing more than a 15-20 game DL stint, then I think Nix would probably be called up. But if Getz gets hurt for the year (God forbid), and Beckham is having success in the minors, I think they might bring him up then to take over at 2B.

tm1119
03-23-2009, 11:51 AM

Really? Despite all of the hype around here, he is hitting .257 with a .316 OPB against ST competition. That doesnt tell me that he is ready. Unless he absolutely destroys AA or AAA pitching then I wouldnt bring him up right away in the case of an injury. No reason to throw a guy that was in college 1 year ago into the majors unless you are positive that he is ready to go. We have all seen what throwing a guy out there too early can do to his career.

KenBerryGrab
03-23-2009, 12:13 PM
We have all seen what throwing a guy out there too early can do to his career.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/stan/sports/m-basebl/99-00roster/p-borchard.jpg

Chrisaway
03-23-2009, 03:50 PM
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/stan/sports/m-basebl/99-00roster/p-borchard.jpg
ltp!!!!!

Sockinchisox
03-25-2009, 11:07 AM
Beckham has been optioned to AA and will play shortstop there.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/03/white-sox-send-beckham-to-double-a-to-play-shortstop.html

DirtySox
03-25-2009, 11:15 AM
As expected. Hopefully Poreda is next.

russ99
03-25-2009, 11:24 AM
As expected. Hopefully Poreda is next.

Hopefully not. I'd prefer Marquez. I think Poreda can help the big club more in the pen.

More cuts are coming today, so we might find out.

oeo
03-25-2009, 11:40 AM
Hopefully not. I'd prefer Marquez. I think Poreda can help the big club more in the pen.

More cuts are coming today, so we might find out.

Poreda needs to be working on his breaking stuff. We should be looking for the guy to reach his ceiling, not his floor.

Sockinchisox
03-25-2009, 11:48 AM
Russell and Wassermann have been sent to Charlotte.

sox1970
03-25-2009, 11:50 AM
Beckham, Poreda, Russell, Wassermann, Broussard, and Torres

33 left in camp.

bradchifan3
03-25-2009, 12:07 PM
Beckham, Poreda, Russell, Wassermann, Broussard, and Torres

33 left in camp.

The White Sox website has 31 listed on the active roster (and Wasserman is among those 31). I wish they did a better job of updating that list.

Sockinchisox
03-25-2009, 12:12 PM
Merkin says Poreda has been sent to the minor league camp as well.

soxfan43
03-25-2009, 12:15 PM
The White Sox website has 31 listed on the active roster (and Wasserman is among those 31). I wish they did a better job of updating that list.

The sox official site is usually hte last to have any type of breaking news.

LoveYourSuit
03-25-2009, 12:21 PM
Every day that passes the closer we get to MacDougal making the roster.

:puking:

DirtySox
03-25-2009, 12:22 PM
Merkin says Poreda has been sent to the minor league camp as well.

Rejoice at not stunting the growth of our only advanced starting pitching prospect!

Lip Man 1
03-25-2009, 12:23 PM
A few things.....two names to keep in mind now as part of the bullpen. Randy Williams and (gulp) Mike MacDougal.

Last night I interviewed one of the beat writers for the next White Sox Interactive interview. The comment made about the Sox "official" web site generally being the last with any real information reminded me of something the interview subject told me.

(paraphrasing...) 'As soon as we hear any type of rumor, all of us, (i.e. the media) immediately go check out White Sox Interactive because most of the time the site will have a post with a link to whomever started the rumor. It's a great resource that we all us...'

High praise indeed!

Lip

Noneck
03-25-2009, 12:57 PM
A few things.....two names to keep in mind now as part of the bullpen. Randy Williams and (gulp) Mike MacDougal.

Last night I interviewed one of the beat writers for the next White Sox Interactive interview. The comment made about the Sox "official" web site generally being the last with any real information reminded me of something the interview subject told me.

(paraphrasing...) 'As soon as we hear any type of rumor, all of us, (i.e. the media) immediately go check out White Sox Interactive because most of the time the site will have a post with a link to whomever started the rumor. It's a great resource that we all us...'

High praise indeed!

Lip
Hope your interview comes out before start of the season. I got a feeling your interviewee initials are MG. Looking forward to it.

cws05champ
03-25-2009, 01:01 PM

High praise indeed!

Lip
Do the sportswriters have the same arguments as on here?

BA vs the flavor of the week CF.
Stat guys vs scout guys
Lineup speculation
Random Free agent/trade followed by a ? in the title

oeo
03-25-2009, 04:48 PM
Every day that passes the closer we get to MacDougal making the roster.

:puking:

Seriously, he's not any worse than Russell (the same type of can't throw a strike pitcher MacDougal is) or Wassermann. This a back end of the bullpen spot we're talking about, not the set up man like he was a couple years ago.

Frater Perdurabo
03-25-2009, 04:53 PM
I've got no problem with MacDougal if he earns the job.

Tragg
03-25-2009, 09:19 PM
I've got no problem with MacDougal if he earns the job.
But it might indicate that the back end of our rotation has a problem.

chisox123
03-26-2009, 12:50 AM
What about Lance Broadway?

guillensdisciple
03-26-2009, 01:00 AM
But it might indicate that the back end of our rotation has a problem.

Or that he has finally hones his skills to become one of the best relievers in the bigs!!!

I want a Ferrari for my birthday.

NLaloosh
03-26-2009, 09:15 AM
With the way that MacDougal has been throwing this spring it would be hard to argue that Russell, Wassermann, Egbert or Broadway would be better.

Randy Williams maybe if they decide they want another lefty.

I also like the idea of the Sox being able to move Mac at some point if he has a decent start in the bigs this season. Maybe they could get a decent prospect for him.

oeo
03-26-2009, 09:29 AM
I also like the idea of the Sox being able to move Mac at some point if he has a decent start in the bigs this season. Maybe they could get a decent prospect for him.

You think they're going to get a decent prospect for him? If he's pitching well, why not just keep him around? It's the last year of his deal, so any trade would just be for the sake of a trade.

NLaloosh
03-26-2009, 09:51 AM
You think they're going to get a decent prospect for him? If he's pitching well, why not just keep him around? It's the last year of his deal, so any trade would just be for the sake of a trade.

Why? Well, my thinking would be (and possibly Kenny's), that any success that he has is likely to be short lived and I'd rather have a solid prospect.

I don't think that MacDougal could sustain a good year from start to finish anywhere he would play. He's just way too inconsistent yet has great ability.

Let someone else experience this frustration.

doublem23
03-26-2009, 09:58 AM
Why? Well, my thinking would be (and possibly Kenny's), that any success that he has is likely to be short lived and I'd rather have a solid prospect.

I don't think that MacDougal could sustain a good year from start to finish anywhere he would play. He's just way too inconsistent yet has great ability.

Let someone else experience this frustration.

Nobody is going to give us anything for Mike MacDougal.

In fact, I'd venture to guess the only way we'd be able to unload him is if we packaged one of our better prospects with him. So we may as well just eat it.

JorgeFabregas
03-26-2009, 10:39 AM
Mac has had a 1.5 WHIP this spring. He's not been that great. Good K:BB, though.

DirtySox
03-30-2009, 11:45 AM
Marquez optioned to AAA, as well as Lance Broadway and Jack Egbert. Josh Kroeger and Randy Williams reassigned to minor league camp.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/

JermaineDye05
03-30-2009, 12:02 PM
Marquez optioned to AAA, as well as Lance Broadway and Jack Egbert. Josh Kroeger and Randy Williams reassigned to minor league camp.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/

Looks like this means Colon will be with the team opening day and that Richard is the long relief guy.

Sargeant79
03-30-2009, 12:08 PM
Looks like this means Colon will be with the team opening day and that Richard is the long relief guy.

Not necessarily, although I think you're probably right. But it does mean that at least one of Colon and Contreras start the season in the rotation. I also think it means that MacDougal has a good shot of going up north since Randy Williams was also sent down.

For what it's worth, Marquez showed flashes that he might be pretty good, but I think this is probably the best thing for his development at this time.

sox1970
03-30-2009, 12:15 PM
Not necessarily, although I think you're probably right. But it does mean that at least one of Colon and Contreras start the season in the rotation. I also think it means that MacDougal has a good shot of going up north since Randy Williams was also sent down.

For what it's worth, Marquez showed flashes that he might be pretty good, but I think this is probably the best thing for his development at this time.

They're down to 12 pitchers, so I'd they are set with Colon and Contreras both in the rotation. The bullpen is Richard, Carrasco, MacDougal, Thornton, Linebrink, Dotel, and Jenks.

Sargeant79
03-30-2009, 12:18 PM
They're down to 12 pitchers, so I'd they are set with Colon and Contreras both in the rotation. The bullpen is Richard, Carrasco, MacDougal, Thornton, Linebrink, Dotel, and Jenks.

Didn't catch that, you're right. Thanks.

Lip Man 1
03-30-2009, 12:18 PM
The way they were talking about him I'm surprised Williams was sent down. Very interesting. And obviously they couldn't find a taker for MacDougal (at least right now...)

Lip

oeo
03-30-2009, 12:20 PM
The way they were talking about him I'm surprised Williams was sent down. Very interesting. And obviously they couldn't find a taker for MacDougal (at least right now...)

Lip

Don't tell me you have more hope for Randy ****ing Williams than Clayton Richard...

sox1970
03-30-2009, 12:24 PM
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/03/owens-waived-by-white-sox.html

Owens is GONE!!!

Yes!!!

DirtySox
03-30-2009, 12:26 PM
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaa!

kittle42
03-30-2009, 12:28 PM
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/03/owens-waived-by-white-sox.html

owens is gone!!!

Yes!!!

Finally!

FedEx227
03-30-2009, 12:30 PM
The Slapper is gone. :bandance::bandance:

GoGoCrede
03-30-2009, 12:31 PM

Owens is GONE!!!

Yes!!!

Oh my!!! Never thought I'd see the day!

Lip Man 1
03-30-2009, 12:36 PM
OEO:

No you can relax...but RIGHT NOW, at this moment, Williams showed more then Richard.

We'll see how it turns out but if Richard continues to pitch as poorly as he did in the spring, the Sox won't hesitate to send him back to Charlotte.

Lip

03-30-2009, 12:40 PM
Too bad Owens was never able to put it together. Maybe he should tryout for the Bears at WR? :rolleyes:

NLaloosh
03-30-2009, 12:40 PM
Is it true ? Jerry Owens is no longer part of the White Sox organization ?

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Partay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Taliesinrk
03-30-2009, 12:50 PM
I think that's kind of sad about Jerry Owens. I mean I didn't want him near the MLB team, but it's too bad he couldn't perform better. I just think it's rather harsh to celebrate when someone loses a job and/or hope to achieve a dream. Hopefully for his sake, someone else picks him up.

soxinem1
03-30-2009, 12:51 PM

Best Monday I've had in awhile!!!

DirtySox
03-30-2009, 12:59 PM
Opening Day Roster Barring Any Late Changes
(http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/03/white-sox-roster.html)
Pitchers:
Buehrle
Floyd
Danks
Contreras
Colon
Richard
Carrasco
MacDougal
Thornton
Dotel
Linebrink
Jenks

Catchers:
Pierzynski
Miller

Infielders:
Konerko
Getz
Ramirez
Fields
Thome
Lillibridge
Betemit

Outfielders:
Dye
Anderson
Wise
Quentin

roylestillman
03-30-2009, 01:03 PM
I know he pitched pretty well in the Spring, but the idea of MacDougal coming out the pen again gives me the shakes.

Tragg
03-30-2009, 01:10 PM
Regarding the pitching staff, who is gone from last year's pen that opened up a spot for MacDougal.
This is better than having Bukvich in the 7th and MacDougal in the 8th, I'll say.

GoGoCrede
03-30-2009, 01:11 PM
Regarding the pitching staff, who is gone from last year's pen that opened up a spot for MacDougal.
This is better than having Bukvich in the 7th and MacDougal in the 8th, I'll say.

Russell? :scratch:

BadBobbyJenks
03-30-2009, 01:17 PM
True story, Jerry Owens was signing autographs in my vicinity during spring training and I told him no thanks. Learning how to steal 1st is more important than stealing 2nd and 3rd.

Sargeant79
03-30-2009, 01:21 PM
I think that's kind of sad about Jerry Owens. I mean I didn't want him near the MLB team, but it's too bad he couldn't perform better. I just think it's rather harsh to celebrate when someone loses a job and/or hope to achieve a dream. Hopefully for his sake, someone else picks him up.

Actually, I hope someone picks him up for our sake. Anyone think they might be able to work out a deal for some other team's failed prospect or other reclamation project?

fram40
03-30-2009, 01:33 PM

Wasn't MacDougal on the opening day roster last year?

Changes from last year's opening day pitching staff:
Gone - Vazquez, Masset, Logan
In - Richard, Colon, Carrasco

Sargeant79
03-30-2009, 01:36 PM
Wasn't MacDougal on the opening day roster last year?

Changes from last year's opening day pitching staff:
Gone - Vazquez, Masset, Logan
In - Richard, Colon, Carrasco

The thing that's good this year is that we have a lot of guys who are at least semi-prospects with upside in the minors who can be given a shot if someone falters / gets hurt as opposed to all of the 30-year old AAA pitchers who kept getting called up in 2007.

JorgeFabregas
03-30-2009, 01:37 PM

Not true if he clears waivers.

Noneck
03-30-2009, 01:41 PM
I know he pitched pretty well in the Spring, but the idea of MacDougal coming out the pen again gives me the shakes.

But at least we have seen MacDougal throw lights out, yea I know not recently but he has done it. Carrasco is the guy that scares me more, a crap slinger through and through. Mop up potential only.

soxrme
03-30-2009, 01:45 PM
You guys don't get it! MacDougal has great stuff, best on the staff! I know this because I hear it year after year before the season and right after he is sent down.

sox1970
03-30-2009, 01:45 PM
But at least we have seen MacDougal throw lights out, yea I know not recently but he has done it. Carrasco is the guy that scares me more, a crap slinger through and through. Mop up potential only.

Carrasco is a junk pitcher, but he did some good things for the Sox last year. When Contreras or Colon get chased in the 3rd inning, Carrasco is going to be able to come in and give 3-5 innings. He may not be great, but he can save the back end of the bullpen for games the Sox can actually win.

jabrch
03-30-2009, 01:48 PM
I'm shocked that both Jose and Bartolo are ready to go OD. I would have guessed that if you told me this in December.

Noneck
03-30-2009, 01:49 PM
Carrasco is a junk pitcher, but he did some good things for the Sox last year. When Contreras or Colon get chased in the 3rd inning, Carrasco is going to be able to come in and give 3-5 innings. He may not be great, but he can save the back end of the bullpen for games the Sox can actually win.
As long as that is the only way he is used it is ok.

DirtySox
03-30-2009, 02:00 PM
White Sox Roster Review (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/03/white-sox-roster-review.html)

NLaloosh
03-30-2009, 02:01 PM

Thanks for pissing in my corn flakes.:o:

soxinem1
03-30-2009, 02:08 PM

They can still release him after they clear. They might be thinking there is a chance someone will take him on a gamble.

But I would bet his days in the organization are over. There are other OF prospects he'd be taking AB's from.