PDA

View Full Version : Sign Josh Bard!

munchman33
03-18-2009, 11:39 AM
Red Sox just released him. Would make sense...

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/red_sox/index.php/2009/03/18/bard-cut/

Sargeant79
03-18-2009, 12:14 PM
I just saw that. I wouldn't be opposed to the idea. His defense is pretty good, correct?

munchman33
03-18-2009, 12:45 PM
I just saw that. I wouldn't be opposed to the idea. His defense is pretty good, correct?

Yes, he's good across the board defensively. And he's a switch hitter.

AZChiSoxFan
03-18-2009, 01:15 PM
Red Sox just released him. Would make sense...

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/red_sox/index.php/2009/03/18/bard-cut/

Put me down for a "yes" vote on this idea.

CPditka
03-18-2009, 02:24 PM
yes.

esbrechtel
03-18-2009, 02:45 PM
I agree...However, I dont see it happening...I think Kenny feels we are set for the season...although we do need a back up catcher...

whitesox901
03-18-2009, 04:16 PM
yes

DaveFeelsRight
03-18-2009, 04:59 PM
our backup options are chris stewart, cole armstrong and corkey miller. flowers isn't even close to being ready. count me down for this

Britt Burns
03-18-2009, 05:00 PM
Yes please.

Chrisaway
03-18-2009, 05:13 PM
:scratch:Hmmm Corky Miller, Chris Stewart, or Josh Bard?.......:D:I'll take him!!!

CWSpalehoseCWS
03-18-2009, 05:29 PM
I definitly say sign him, but like someone else said, KW probably won't do it. The Sox already have 3 catchers in camp that are battling for the job, and I don't see them adding another person in the middle of ST.

jabrch
03-18-2009, 06:12 PM
Can anyone tell me why he was cut while hitting about .550 when the Sawx have no veteran backup (I think) to an old and somewhat decaying Jason Varitek? Are they counting on Kattaras? (sp?) Why would they let Bard go?

I'd be very cautious to jump on him before understanding why he is being given his outright release.

Sargeant79
03-18-2009, 06:41 PM
Can anyone tell me why he was cut while hitting about .550 when the Sawx have no veteran backup (I think) to an old and somewhat decaying Jason Varitek? Are they counting on Kattaras? (sp?) Why would they let Bard go?

I'd be very cautious to jump on him before understanding why he is being given his outright release.

I'm pretty sure that it has to do with Bard's inability to catch the knuckleball. I think I remember reading that Kattaras can do it.

veeter
03-19-2009, 11:16 AM
Corky Miller has been great all camp long. And he can really throw. Pass on Bard, I'll take Corky.

dickallen15
03-19-2009, 12:09 PM
Corky Miller has been great all camp long. And he can really throw. Pass on Bard, I'll take Corky.

He's a career .176 hitter, including a 1 for 55 stretch from 2004-2006. I doubt he figured out how to hit this winter. If you are only going to have 1 back up catcher, you need someone who can hit better than that, or AJ will wind up playing on many of his days off because of the need to pinch hit.

jabrch
03-19-2009, 12:09 PM
I'm pretty sure that it has to do with Bard's inability to catch the knuckleball. I think I remember reading that Kattaras can do it.

And he had no trade value? Not even for a low level prospect? I'm wondering if there isn't more we don't know about.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-19-2009, 12:11 PM

Took 13 replies. But there it is. The typical, "We're fine the way we are", response.

munchman33
03-19-2009, 01:33 PM
And he had no trade value? Not even for a low level prospect? I'm wondering if there isn't more we don't know about.

Bard was the backup option to start if Varitek didn't resign. Since he did, Bard had no room unless he showed he could catch a knuckler.

Teams aren't jumping to trade for a major league deal on a player who will be a free agent soon anyway.

munchman33
03-19-2009, 01:48 PM

Corky Miller might be a servicable backup, but the thought of AJ going down and him starting everyday isn't something I'd like to see. Bard can do a decent job being an everyday catcher.

EnglishChiSox
03-19-2009, 06:59 PM
Corky Miller might be a servicable backup, but the thought of AJ going down and him starting everyday isn't something I'd like to see. Bard can do a decent job being an everyday catcher.

If AJ gets hurt i agree but for 30-40 games a season there's not much difference between the 2, Corky has spent 6 weeks working with the pitching staff, no reason to just get rid of him because Bard comes along.

munchman33
03-19-2009, 07:04 PM
If AJ gets hurt i agree but for 30-40 games a season there's not much difference between the 2, Corky has spent 6 weeks working with the pitching staff, no reason to just get rid of him because Bard comes along.

I disagree, being better defensively and a better option when AJ goes down means exactly that. It's not like Bard will cost much.

GregO23
03-19-2009, 07:45 PM
There is no way the Sox get Bard, as much as I want him, KW will not bring in another catcher to camp, even if he is a better option then what we currently have.

veeter
03-19-2009, 10:22 PM
Took 13 replies. But there it is. The typical, "We're fine the way we are", response.Oh, o.k Josh Bard is the answer. We're talking back-up catcher, smart guy. Corky Miller is a very good receiver. Now we need all-stars backing up A.J? Get a ****ing clue.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-20-2009, 04:03 AM

Actually there is a big difference between the two. In limited playing time (but both have > 300 at-bats), Corky's career on-base percentage is Bard's career batting average. Neither one of them is the next coming of Mike Piazza, but Bard is head and shoulders above Corky. Offensively at least.

As for the bolded part, that's in the same line of thinking as that which would dismiss the acquisition of a Johan Santana because, "we already have a lefty that's been with the team all of his life and even helped us win a World Series."

Every team should always be looking to upgrade. Always.

Oh, o.k Josh Bard is the answer. We're talking back-up catcher, smart guy. Corky Miller is a very good receiver. Now we need all-stars backing up A.J? Get a ****ing clue.

:o: ..... I won't even take that where you've led it to.

Who said anything about Josh Bard being "the answer"? I'll take it one step back, what is "the queston"? With all due respect, you're an idiot if you think the "very good receiver" Corky Miller or anyone else we have is a better option as a back-up than Bard. Simply an idiot.

Look above about upgrading. End of story.

veeter
03-20-2009, 09:18 AM
Actually there is a big difference between the two. In limited playing time (but both have > 300 at-bats), Corky's career on-base percentage is Bard's career batting average. Neither one of them is the next coming of Mike Piazza, but Bard is head and shoulders above Corky. Offensively at least.

As for the bolded part, that's in the same line of thinking as that which would dismiss the acquisition of a Johan Santana because, "we already have a lefty that's been with the team all of his life and even helped us win a World Series."

Every team should always be looking to upgrade. Always.

:o: ..... I won't even take that where you've led it to.

Who said anything about Josh Bard being "the answer"? I'll take it one step back, what is "the queston"? With all due respect, you're an idiot if you think the "very good receiver" Corky Miller or anyone else we have is a better option as a back-up than Bard. Simply an idiot.

Look above about upgrading. End of story.you're an idiot if you think the purpose of a back-up catcher is to provide offense. Simply an idiot.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-20-2009, 12:01 PM
you're an idiot if you think the purpose of a back-up catcher is to provide offense. Simply an idiot.

"You're an idiot!", lol. How old are we? "Not classy."

Anyway, I'm more worried about having someone ready to start everyday incase AJ gets hurt. And yes, I'd rather have a good offensive catcher 162 games a year rather than 135 games a year. That's not to say a good defensive catcher is worthless, because that's not true. But look at how our team has been just fine with a good offensive/bad defensive starting catcher for a number of years now.

IMO, a team should always look at its primary back-ups and ask themselves, "Would we be ok with this guy starting at the position he's backing up?" If looking at Corky, the answer to that question is, "Ahhh HELL nah!"

And if we wanted a good defensive back-up, why didn't we sign Henry Blanco? But it must be said, this is not a big deal at all. I just don't think Corky or Lucy are Major Leaguers.

spawn
03-20-2009, 12:06 PM
"You're an idiot!", lol. How old are we? "Not classy."

:shrug:

munchman33
03-20-2009, 01:48 PM
you're an idiot if you think the purpose of a back-up catcher is to provide offense. Simply an idiot.

Josh Bard is better than Corky Miller defensively, and it isn't even close. :shrug:

DirtySox
03-21-2009, 03:37 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090321&content_id=4041972&vkey=news_was&fext=.jsp&c_id=was&partnerId=rss_was

Bard signs with the Nats.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-22-2009, 01:32 PM
:shrug:

The, "you're an idiot", and, "Simply an idiot", should've been in teal. I think I wrote that on my BlackBerry and it doesn't allow me to change font colors.