PDA

View Full Version : Nix sidelined again.

JermaineDye05
03-17-2009, 06:09 PM
Link (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/03/nix-leaves-white-soxs-game-limping.html)

Seems to have re-aggravated his injury from earlier this spring. Tough luck, I must say. He has been hitting the ball well this spring and according to Steve Stone is "a defensive wiz at second." It's starting to look more and more look like Chris Getz will be the starting second baseman.

On another note, I noticed TCQ only got 2 abs as DH. He was pulled for Ben Broussard, however there's no mention of this so hopefully it means nothing.

Lip Man 1
03-17-2009, 08:12 PM
The way he's been playing to go along with the strong comments from Ozzie, Gordon Beckham could be the opening day starter at 2nd.

Lip

sox1970
03-17-2009, 08:42 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090317&content_id=4007266&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

sox1970
03-17-2009, 08:47 PM
The way he's been playing to go along with the strong comments from Ozzie, Gordon Beckham could be the opening day starter at 2nd.

Lip

I think Getz is ahead at this point. They know Beckham is probably ready, but they'll resist in the end, and send him to AA for a month or two.

If Getz is having a good season, they may have to revisit the Ramirez to CF idea.

russ99
03-17-2009, 09:12 PM
I think Getz is ahead at this point. They know Beckham is probably ready, but they'll resist in the end, and send him to AA for a month or two.

If Getz is having a good season, they may have to revisit the Ramirez to CF idea.

Getz hasn't really distinguised himself this camp other than that inside-the-parker.

We still have 3 weeks left in camp, so I don't think you can hand anyone the position by default.

I'd be very surprised if Beckham didn't start in the minors.

sox1970
03-17-2009, 09:19 PM
Getz hasn't really distinguised himself this camp other than that inside-the-parker.

We still have 3 weeks left in camp, so I don't think you can hand anyone the position by default.

I'd be very surprised if Beckham didn't start in the minors.

Getz is 10-30, with 6 RBIs, 3 doubles and that triple/error that was called an inside-the-park homer. He's also hit behind runners a couple times, he's put down a bunt or two as well--so you don't see the little things that don't show up in the boxscore.

Beckham is going to be here a long time, but they need to find out what Getz can bring because they'll have to trade him eventually... unless Ramirez gets traded or moved to CF.

Bucky F. Dent
03-17-2009, 10:04 PM
So its Getz to star, Lillibridge to act as super sub

Nix to AAA

Beckham to AA

soxinem1
03-17-2009, 10:18 PM
Honestly, going into ST, I believed Nix would do well and sneak up on the others. When he has played, he has stung the ball, and is probably the best defender of the group.

Beckham, who might be the White Sox best high draft pick since Frank, will have his time in the sun.

What a pleasant situation to have! How many teams wish they had this 'problem'?

SoxGirl4Life
03-17-2009, 10:42 PM
Bit of a hijack:

Been a rash of injuries this week all around baseball. We heard about the WBC players who were injured, but now Hoffman and Hamels and Lugo are injured too. Its probably that time of spring for every team where guys feel that they should be in game shape but push it just a little too much.

drewcifer
03-17-2009, 11:42 PM
Bit of a hijack:

Been a rash of injuries this week all around baseball. We heard about the WBC players who were injured, but now Hoffman and Hamels and Lugo are injured too. Its probably that time of spring for every team where guys feel that they should be in game shape but push it just a little too much.

Most of the injured are old dudes (or, A-Rod with his drama), Hamels had a long season, and Lugo is the biggest bust hand the boy-genius ever played. Nothing out of the norm at all for spring. And WBC "injured" doesn't really say alot either if it involves worthy players.

Jim Shorts
03-18-2009, 10:05 AM
the Ramirez to CF idea.

I will never understand the logic with this.

TCM started in the outfield last year out of necessity, not because he was any good at playing the outfield. His play at 2b proved he should never need patrol an outfield again because his talents are better used on the dirt.

And if Ozzie is selling me that TCM is a better SS than 2b, I'm buying it.

sox1970
03-18-2009, 12:32 PM
I will never understand the logic with this.

TCM started in the outfield last year out of necessity, not because he was any good at playing the outfield. His play at 2b proved he should never need patrol an outfield again because his talents are better used on the dirt.

And if Ozzie is selling me that TCM is a better SS than 2b, I'm buying it.

All I'm saying is the Sox have a surplus of infielders. Something will have to give when Beckham is ready...and that's soon. Either Getz or Ramirez will have to be traded or move to a different position.

CashMan
03-18-2009, 01:02 PM
All I'm saying is the Sox have a surplus of infielders. Something will have to give when Beckham is ready...and that's soon. Either Getz or Ramirez will have to be traded or move to a different position.

Why? I am in the camp of Beckham should be on the MLB roster, but if he goes down, I am kinda high on Getz and wanna see what he can do. When Beckham comes up, why couldn't Getz be a utility?

SoxGirl4Life
03-18-2009, 01:12 PM
Getz has played his butt off this spring. He deserves the spot if the season starts today

sox1970
03-18-2009, 01:19 PM
Why? I am in the camp of Beckham should be on the MLB roster, but if he goes down, I am kinda high on Getz and wanna see what he can do. When Beckham comes up, why couldn't Getz be a utility?

I don't think they like the idea of Getz playing SS or outfield. Lillibridge fits that profile better. In fact, he's playing CF today.

I think Getz either stays and plays 2B, or they'll try to move him because he is a quality 2B that can hit (just not as good or a higher upside than Beckham or Ramirez).

SOXfnNlansing
03-18-2009, 01:32 PM
Just imagine the infield mess we'd have if we got Brian Roberts in a trade last year.

Frater Perdurabo
03-18-2009, 01:35 PM
Getz strikes me as an Aaron Miles kind of player.

It would be great if Getz played well and earned the 2B job. I think a best case scenario would be for the Sox to have the middle infield set (Alexei with Getz, Nix or Lillibridge), and thus no "room" for Beckham. This would force the Sox to move Beckham to third base, and move Fields to 1B/DH, and put Viciedo in LF (with Quentin in RF). Chronologically, I would like to see things develop this way:

2009: Fields 3B, Alexei SS, Getz/Lillibridge 2B, Paulie 1B
2010: Beckham 3B, Alexei SS, Getz/Lillibridge 2B, Paulie/Fields 1B/DH
2011: Beckham 3B, Alexei SS, Getz/Lillibridge 2B, Fields/Allen 1B/DH

SoxGirl4Life
03-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Just imagine the infield mess we'd have if we got Brian Roberts in a trade last year.

lol..thank GOD we didn't pull the trigger.

I was actually drooling over Roberts watching the WBC last night. but alas..