PDA

View Full Version : How big of a standing O will Robin get tonight?

MattSharp
05-27-2002, 02:39 PM
I mean he is arguably the most liked Sox player of the last 10 years. Some may say Frank is, but I doubt it. He is coming back to Comiskey for the first time since he left and he is hitting a ton this year. I don't think he will ever be a Hall of Famer and I don't think the Sox will ever retire his number but I know that I will be standing and clapping (even if I will be in my basement and not at the game).......

doublem23
05-27-2002, 02:47 PM
I hope they retire his number, but I'll be there, cheering my ass off for Robin... even if he is a Yankee...

dougs78
05-27-2002, 02:58 PM
I am sure it will be a large ovation. I know I will be there and I can guarantee he will get a warm welcome from me. But after the ovation, I still hope he gets dominated along with the rest of of his pinstriped teammates.

neal
05-27-2002, 04:23 PM
I'll be there also cheering my ass off for him (in my nice comfortable skybox (with unlimited food), I might add). He is my favorite all-time Sox player. However, I do hope we kick his ass tonight.

Also, did anybody else hear about what they are going to do before the game for him? Some type of video tribute, I believe.

Foulke You
05-27-2002, 04:25 PM
He'll get a big standing ovation. White Sox Management is indeed giving him a video highlight tribute on the scoreboard. This is a well deserved thing for Robin and it is nice to see the Sox are treating him with a little class.

VeeckAsInWreck
05-27-2002, 05:38 PM
I too will be there cheering for Robin and no other Yankee. I get the feeling that Robin will be recieved very well. I would hope that management retires #23. I'm leaving right now so I can catch the pre-game ceremonies. Let's hope Robin has a decent night at the plate and the Sox get the win!

doublem23
05-27-2002, 05:40 PM
Yeah, I got my Robin jersey on and I'm headin out the door, too.

Have a great night, y'all..

Go Robin! But more importantly, GO SOX!!! Let's beat those Yankmees.

Chisox_cali
05-27-2002, 05:50 PM
I hope to hear a possible Ro-bin Chant as well as a standing "O" If I was there I would be giving him both but alas I'm in California. :whiner:

doublem23
05-28-2002, 12:18 AM
Not as good as I thought, but a classy little video on Robin's career, and the Yankees pushed him out of the dugout before the game and he tipped his cap to the crowd.

Nice.

MattSharp
05-28-2002, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Not as good as I thought, but a classy little video on Robin's career, and the Yankees pushed him out of the dugout before the game and he tipped his cap to the crowd.

Nice.

Yea he didn't get much of an applause at all when he came up. The park wasn't too filled then or for his video tribute cause Sox fans are always late. Kinda a let down.......

neal
05-28-2002, 12:24 AM
I was expecting more, also... but I thought it was a nice thing to do.

hsc1
05-28-2002, 12:33 AM
the video tribute was a nice touch...but i was expecting a bit more too.....

Nellie_Fox
05-28-2002, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by neal
I'll be there also cheering my ass off for him (in my nice comfortable skybox (with unlimited food), I might add). And do they let you throw things down on the little people?

mike squires
05-28-2002, 10:59 AM
the video tribute was great...but they missed two things. remember the botom of the ninth against texas down by a few. he hit a grandslam off of goose gossage to win the game. this was win the park was filled everynight. they should have started off with that. also i went to a game in old comiskey against the yankees. bottom of the ninth, yanks are trying to rally, robin makes a beatiful grab in the crowd (calderon also made a diving catch in the ninth) i was hoping that would be included) yeah, only the true sox fans were watching that. there's not enough of us sentimental folk left. my wife turned to me and said we are the only ones watching.

other highlights at the ball park...before the game marte caught my eye while shagging balls in right field. he let me know he saw me and put his finger up as to say hold on a second. i knelt down like a cather and gave him the one sign. he laughed and was going to do it but there were people on both sides of me that he didn't want to hurt. he shagged a ball nearby us and through one with a little mustard on it landing sharply in my glove.

a yankee coach was working with a right fielder by hitting balls into the corner hitting it perfectly just out of reach for us, (one guy snagged one) but it was cool, it got fans involved and was exciting trying to snag them.

beautiful night at the ball park despite the outcome.

oh yeah i through my crappy mousepad in the trash before i had the chance to through it on to the filed. (like i would ahve done that.)

duke of dorwood
05-28-2002, 11:07 AM
I was at the Grand Slam off Gossage game-that should have been included. I will stand for him on Wednesday night

doublem23
05-28-2002, 11:21 AM
They should have included the fight with Nolan in the video tribute, too.

Paulwny
05-28-2002, 12:44 PM
Robin returns the compliments.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-yside282722963may28.story?coll=ny%2Dbaseball%2Dhea dlines

neal
05-28-2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
And do they let you throw things down on the little people?

haha, not legally anyway... though I would have loved to throw a few hot dogs at Nick Johnson after his homer.

Cheryl
05-28-2002, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
I was at the Grand Slam off Gossage game-that should have been included. I will stand for him on Wednesday night

I was thinking about that one tonight...too back he couldn't pinch hit for us in the 9th...