PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking Zambrano sleeps in White Sox PJ's

MUsoxfan
03-17-2009, 01:38 AM
He can't seem to stop talking about how much he loves the Sox and would love to pitch on the Southside one day.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/deluca/1480030,CST-SPT-deluca17.article

DeadMoney
03-17-2009, 01:47 AM
Zambrano sure brings this up a lot. Although, the article makes him sound like he was actually a big Sox fan growing up, which makes his comments completely understandable (all most of us here have to do is look in the mirror to understand that).

Good for him though.

If he ever get's to pitch for the Sox, I'd welcome it. If not, that's OK too.

SOXfnNlansing
03-17-2009, 01:52 AM
That was a really good article. He's a gamer, and that's hard for me to say:o:

WhiteSox1989
03-17-2009, 04:43 AM
Zambrano has always been my least favorite player on the Cubs. Poor attitude.

RadioheadRocks
03-17-2009, 05:41 AM
I'm thinking it's more like "feet pajamas". :D:

Jaffar
03-17-2009, 06:26 AM
I'm thinking it's more like "feet pajamas". :D:

I was thinking night shirt with fuzzy slippers.

spawn
03-17-2009, 07:03 AM
Wow. That's a really good read. I guess Zambrano isn't as much an ******* off the field as he is on. I'm ok with that.

And I've said it before and I'll say it again...I really like Chris DeLuca as a writer.

DumpJerry
03-17-2009, 07:12 AM
We'll sign him the same day Buehrle signs with the Cards.

kittle42
03-17-2009, 07:51 AM
If he ever get's to pitch for the Sox, I'd welcome it. If not, that's OK too.

A thread on Zambozo seems as good a place as any to note this. That's not even a word!

soxfan21
03-17-2009, 08:32 AM

I feel exactly the same about him.

jabrch
03-17-2009, 09:21 AM
I like Carlos when he is on.

I don't like him when he is being a douche.

But if he really wanted to be on the Sox, he wouldn't have signed that contract last year. What I don't want is a broken down 35 year old Zambrano try and squeeze out a few million with the Sox.

PennStater98r
03-17-2009, 09:21 AM

Coop will fix him.

guillensdisciple
03-17-2009, 09:54 AM
Coop will fix him.

*Shudders*

Please, stop the torture of this statement.

white sox bill
03-17-2009, 10:16 AM
Z's a horse on the mound
Other times he just a horse's ass

I want Mags back
03-17-2009, 11:09 AM
We'll sign him the same day Buehrle signs with the Cards.

And when we sign Mulder too.

Frontman
03-17-2009, 11:16 AM
*Shudders*

Please, stop the torture of this statement.

Coop will fix PennStater98r's posts.

Red Barchetta
03-17-2009, 12:16 PM
I like Carlos when he is on.

I don't like him when he is being a douche.

But if he really wanted to be on the Sox, he wouldn't have signed that contract last year. What I don't want is a broken down 35 year old Zambrano try and squeeze out a few million with the Sox.

I agree. The older he gets, the more he becomes a "Jaime Navarro" pick-up risk. :o:

As a SOX fan, I do enjoy his antics towards Cubs fans and especially former team mates. I laughed when he clocked Michael Barrett in the dugout. Probably my second favorite "Michael Barrett Moment" behind AJ knocking him on his ass. :D:

UChicagoHP
03-17-2009, 12:24 PM
He would be an upgrade at DH...

In all seriousness, he is fun to watch. He is not an ace, but I'll take him...

Boondock Saint
03-17-2009, 12:42 PM
He would be an upgrade at DH...

In all seriousness, he is fun to watch. He is not an ace, but I'll take him...

By what standard is he not an ace? Your dislike for his attitude? I don't like it either, but to say he isn't an ace is ridiculous.

Hitmen77
03-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Coop will fix PennStater98r's posts.

...and then Coop will get banned.:wink:

kittle42
03-17-2009, 01:27 PM
By what standard is he not an ace? Your dislike for his attitude? I don't like it either, but to say he isn't an ace is ridiculous.

This has been debated left and right around here in the past - at least 3 times in the past two years or so.

My feeling: He may or may not be a Top 10-15 starter, but would be No. 1 on the Sox right now.

jabrch
03-17-2009, 01:43 PM
This has been debated left and right around here in the past - at least 3 times in the past two years or so.

My feeling: He may or may not be a Top 10-15 starter, but would be No. 1 on the Sox right now.

My definition of "ace" is Top 30.

I don't see how Zambrano isn't put in the top 30 SPs for 2009.

kittle42
03-17-2009, 02:44 PM

I agree with that.

I_Liked_Manuel
03-17-2009, 02:54 PM
The look on his face like he wanted to cry after getting pulled against the Dodgers puts into perspective how much of a loser this guy is always going to be

kittle42
03-17-2009, 03:11 PM
The look on his face like he wanted to cry after getting pulled against the Dodgers puts into perspective how much of a loser this guy is always going to be

I'm trying to figure out how to best attack this statement. There are just so many ways...

I really hate when stupid stuff like this makes me feel like I actually have to defend a guy I can't stand.

I_Liked_Manuel
03-17-2009, 03:15 PM
I'm trying to figure out how to best attack this statement. There are just so many ways...

I really hate when stupid stuff like this makes me feel like I actually have to defend a guy I can't stand.

Consistent meltdowns when the games matter = loser

He's 0-2 in the postseason in 5 starts

jabrch
03-17-2009, 03:18 PM

That's so preposterous that I don't even know where to start.

What's he supposed to do after getting yanked, being down 7-1 (only allowing 3 ER)? You want him to be smiling? You want him to be happy? Indifferent?

If that was one of our guys (Javy, Mark or Gavin, all of whom lost a playoff game last year) I'd want the same thing.

I'm not coming out here trying to defend Carlos - but to criticize him for being emotional after losing a playoff game is silly.

spawn
03-17-2009, 03:28 PM
That's so preposterous that I don't even know where to start.

What's he supposed to do after getting yanked, being down 7-1 (only allowing 3 ER)? You want him to be smiling? You want him to be happy? Indifferent?

If that was one of our guys (Javy, Mark or Gavin, all of whom lost a playoff game last year) I'd want the same thing.

I'm not coming out here trying to defend Carlos - but to criticize him for being emotional after losing a playoff game is silly.
I was just going to post something along these lines. Agree 100%.

Madscout
03-17-2009, 03:30 PM
He is a fireball of emotion, which you get the good and the bad. I can't really blame him for being horrible in the postseason, because that whole team is horrible during the postseason. All I know is that he is a top 30 pitcher, who could be a whole lot better if he ever learned how to trust the 7 guys behind him and throw a lot more strikes. He gets into trouble (like every other pitcher does) when he nibbles and starts walking guys. I remember going to a game with my dad, where the Cubs lost 4-2, with Carlos giving up 2 ER, after he walked a guy and got behind Chipper Jones 3-1 and had to come at him. Chipper Jones crushed it and the wind was blowing in. Kerry Wood did the same thing in relief with the exact same result.

thomas35forever
03-17-2009, 03:40 PM
So if he ever pitched for us in the postseason, he'd be about as effective for us as Vazquez was against Tampa?

kittle42
03-17-2009, 03:42 PM
Consistent meltdowns when the games matter = loser

He's 0-2 in the postseason in 5 starts

That's it. You've convinced me. He's terrible. How could I have ever thought otherwise?

nlentz88
03-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Big Z in a White Sox uni? Man, I don't know if I'd like that. He's my least favorite Cubs player. His attitude annoys the heck out of me.

Then again, I really didn't like AJ before he came to the Sox, and now he's one of my favorite players. So my opinion of Zambrano might change too if he pitched for the Sox someday, but somehow I doubt I'll ever find out.

SoxGirl4Life
03-17-2009, 04:18 PM
This was a pretty non-story story. Just some fodder for the paper to sell some more copy and get some more web hits.

WSox8404
03-17-2009, 06:04 PM
I met Zambrano about three years ago. He stuck his hand out to shake mine but I said "no way buddy, I'm a Sox fan" while smiling. He instantly laughed and kept his hand out. So of course I shook it. I'm not a jag, I was just goofing with him. Then he said something that shocked me. He said he was a big Sox fan growing up and that he still liked them a lot. He likes Ozzie a lot too. He also said he was really happy they won the World Series. We talked for a few mins and that was that. I have to admit that even though I really dislike him a lot for his antics and such, he was an extremely nice guy when I met him.

Red Barchetta
03-17-2009, 10:07 PM
I met Zambrano about three years ago. He stuck his hand out to shake mine but I said "no way buddy, I'm a Sox fan" while smiling. He instantly laughed and kept his hand out. So of course I shook it. I'm not a jag, I was just goofing with him. Then he said something that shocked me. He said he was a big Sox fan growing up and that he still liked them a lot. He likes Ozzie a lot too. He also said he was really happy they won the World Series. We talked for a few mins and that was that. I have to admit that even though I really dislike him a lot for his antics and such, he was an extremely nice guy when I met him.

I think many of us fans only see single dimensions of professional athlete personalities. Most of these guys, especially pitchers, are so pumped up/hyped up emotionally while on the playing field that we only see their most competitive side.

It's true we can form opinions based on their on-field actions, however it appears Big Z is a pretty good guy off the field. Perhaps deep down, he's just frustrated he's a Cub. :tongue:

Nellie_Fox
03-18-2009, 12:24 AM
...Then he said something that shocked me. He said he was a big Sox fan growing up and that he still liked them a lot.The White Sox have been big in Venezuela for a long time, because of Chico Carrasquel and Luis Aparicio. There were reportedly huge celebrations in Venezuela in 2005.

DeadMoney
03-18-2009, 01:47 AM
A thread on Zambozo seems as good a place as any to note this. That's not even a word!

Thank. You.

DrCrawdad
03-18-2009, 07:20 AM

Zambrano was one of the best pitchers in baseball in the first half of last season. The second half of the season? A 5.80 ERA.

People can talk about how many earned runs Zambrano allowed but that's to cover over the pounding he received, 7 runs in 6 innings. I think Zambrano is still suffering from whiplash and head trauma during that 2008 NLDS game against the Dodgers.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/10/03/sports/04zamb.190.jpg

kittle42
03-18-2009, 10:04 AM
Zambrano was one of the best pitchers in baseball in the first half of last season. The second half of the season? A 5.80 ERA

Yes, but his splits over his career are fine. I wouldn't be concerned, except for the October thing!

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/psplit.cgi?n1=zambrca01&year=00

guillensdisciple
03-18-2009, 10:06 AM
Yes, but his splits over his career are fine. I wouldn't be concerned, except for the October thing!

As a third starter in the playoffs facing the third starter of the opposition, I believe he would fit very well on any playoff team.

Madscout
03-18-2009, 10:32 AM
As a third starter in the playoffs facing the third starter of the opposition, I believe he would fit very well on any playoff team.
He won't, however, take third starter money.

jabrch
03-18-2009, 10:41 AM
Zambrano was one of the best pitchers in baseball in the first half of last season. The second half of the season? A 5.80 ERA.

People can talk about how many earned runs Zambrano allowed but that's to cover over the pounding he received, 7 runs in 6 innings. I think Zambrano is still suffering from whiplash and head trauma during that 2008 NLDS game against the Dodgers.

I tend to forgive pitchers when the guys behind them don't make the plays. I know - the end result is what matters to the team - W or L. But I think that it is a bit too binary to evaluate a pitcher that way, in particular if you are doing so for ONE game.

Do it over the course of the season - it's still sloppy - but it is at least a decent directional indicator or something. But to do it for one single game is not a fair evaluation.

DrCrawdad
03-18-2009, 08:19 PM

Zambrano's last half season of stats could be indicating an injury and there has been talk that he's got a sore shoulder. And I'd say his 2nd half season stats carried over to the post-season. His defense didn't help him but neither did he help his defense.

cub killer
03-19-2009, 01:57 AM

How did you meet him? Was the conversation in Spanish?

WSox8404
03-19-2009, 12:35 PM
How did you meet him? Was the conversation in Spanish?

I was at O'hare flying out to Vegas. He was in line behind me at the security checkpoint. I had a Sox hat on and when I turned and saw him he knew I knew who he was because I'm assuming I smiled. Thats when he put his hand out. And no, the conversation was in English. He spoke very well. Just look at his press conferences. He speaks failrly good English.

Iwritecode
03-19-2009, 01:25 PM
He speaks failrly good English.

:thud:

gregory18n
03-20-2009, 09:30 PM
i'de love to have zambrano on the sox!

Demafrost
03-27-2009, 03:32 PM

Did you see the same game I saw? I agree giving up 7 runs, unearned or earned sucks. You probably did something wrong as a pitch to put your team in that position. But look at the PBP of the second inning of that game:

Top of the 2nd, Dodgers Batting, Tied 0-0, Carlos Zambrano facing 4-5-6
--- 6 54% A Ethier Single to RF (Line Drive to Short RF)
1-- 1 63% J Loney Single to SS (Ground Ball to Weak SS); Ethier to 3B
O 1-3 5 57% M Kemp Strikeout Looking
R 1-3 2 64% B DeWitt Reached on E4/attempted forceout (Ground Ball); Ethier Scores; Loney to 2B
12- 2 69% C Blake Reached on E3 (Ground Ball to 2B-1B); Loney to 3B; DeWitt to 2B
O 123 3 62% C Billingsley Strikeout Swinging
R 123 3 71% R Furcal Single to 2B (Bunt); Loney Scores/unER; DeWitt to 3B; Blake to 2B
RRR 123 5 88% R Martin Double to CF (Line Drive to Deep LF-CF); DeWitt Scores/unER; Blake Scores/unER; Furcal Scores/unER
O -2- 4 87% M Ramirez Strikeout Looking
5 runs, 4 hits, 2 errors, 1 LOB. Dodgers 5, Cubs 0.

So basically a leadoff single, a ground ball to SS that ate Theriot alive, a strikeout, an E4 (should have been a DP), an E3, another K, a bunt hit, and then finally a double lined to the wall.

He gave up 2 legitimate hits in a span of 8 hitters, and if the rest of the chokers didn't choke he probably got 5 outs in that span (the bunt hit we'll choke up to bad luck).

So assume the Chokers don't choke, Z basically pitches 6 innings, only allowing a solo HR to Ramirez before getting lifted in the 7th. And the ER he gave up in the 7th was scored after he left the game.

I don't like Carlos Zambrano. I feel dumb for sitting here defending him and giving a White Sox board excuse after excuse as to why Zambrano didn't suck as much as it appears, but I remember sitting there watching that game and thinking that only one guy didn't suck for the Cubs in that game and it was Zambrano.

DaveIsHere
03-27-2009, 03:39 PM
Did you see the same game I saw? I agree giving up 7 runs, unearned or earned sucks. You probably did something wrong as a pitch to put your team in that position. But look at the PBP of the second inning of that game:

R 1-3 2 64% B DeWitt Reached on E4/attempted forceout (Ground Ball); Ethier Scores; Loney to 2B
12- 2 69% C Blake Reached on E3 (Ground Ball to 2B-1B); Loney to 3B; DeWitt to 2B
R 123 3 71% R Furcal Single to 2B (Bunt); Loney Scores/unER; DeWitt to 3B; Blake to 2B
RRR 123 5 88% R Martin Double to CF (Line Drive to Deep LF-CF); DeWitt Scores/unER; Blake Scores/unER; Furcal Scores/unER
5 runs, 4 hits, 2 errors, 1 LOB. Dodgers 5, Cubs 0.

So basically a leadoff single, a ground ball to SS that ate Theriot alive, a strikeout, an E4 (should have been a DP), an E3, another K, a bunt hit, and then finally a double lined to the wall.

He gave up 2 legitimate hits in a span of 8 hitters, and if the rest of the chokers didn't choke he probably got 5 outs in that span (the bunt hit we'll choke up to bad luck).

So assume the Chokers don't choke, Z basically pitches 6 innings, only allowing a solo HR to Ramirez before getting lifted in the 7th. And the ER he gave up in the 7th was scored after he left the game.

I don't like Carlos Zambrano. I feel dumb for sitting here defending him and giving a White Sox board excuse after excuse as to why Zambrano didn't suck as much as it appears, but I remember sitting there watching that game and thinking that only one guy didn't suck for the Cubs in that game and it was Zambrano.

He still blew it!!:D:

DrCrawdad
03-28-2009, 09:47 PM

5 runs, 4 hits, 2 errors, 1 LOB. Dodgers 5, Cubs 0.So basically a leadoff single, a ground ball to SS that ate Theriot alive, a strikeout, an E4 (should have been a DP), an E3, another K, a bunt hit, and then finally a double lined to the wall.

I stand by what I said, "His defense didn't help him but neither did he help his defense."