PDA

View Full Version : Reinsdorf says your opinion matters.

soxlug
03-15-2009, 08:46 PM
When asked if the everyday fans opinion of Reinsdorf himself has an impact on him? He answers "Sure it matters," said Reinsdorf during Saturday's game against the Rangers at Camelback Park. "Nobody wants to be vilified. Based upon the mail I get and the people that stop me, it's probably pretty good, whereas there was a time when it wasn't so good."
(http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090314&content_id=3987012&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

What is your opinion of Reinsdorf?

Frater Perdurabo
03-15-2009, 09:20 PM
The Sox won the World Series under his ownership tenure. That trumps any complaint I might have.

WhiteSox1989
03-15-2009, 09:24 PM
In my opinion, the city of Chicago owes a lot to Reinsdorf.

rdivaldi
03-15-2009, 09:38 PM
I think he's underrated and under appreciated, I like the man.

goon
03-15-2009, 09:47 PM
Seven Championships. End of Story.

Dibbs
03-15-2009, 10:00 PM
He is not perfect, but I have always liked him a lot.

schmitty9800
03-15-2009, 10:11 PM
He's fairly hands off and willing to spend money. Can't ask for more in an owner (except not threatening to move the team...)

Woofer
03-15-2009, 10:14 PM
I can honestly say that by winning it all in 2005, my opinion of Mr. Reinsdorf greatly improved.

soxfanreggie
03-15-2009, 10:48 PM
No owner is perfect, but I have enjoyed talking with him on a personal level, and I have enjoyed the many championships we have won with him as an owner. Hopefully we will add many more.

TornLabrum
03-15-2009, 10:49 PM
If you read anything that I wrote about Jerry Reinsdorf prior to 2005, a lot of it was negative. Since 2005 I have had nothing but positive things to say about him. When I saw him accept the World Series trophy and his emotional reaction to the moment, I was in tears, too.

I don't think I will ever say anything bad about the man again.

Whitesox029
03-15-2009, 10:55 PM
If you read anything that I wrote about Jerry Reinsdorf prior to 2005, a lot of it was negative. Since 2005 I have had nothing but positive things to say about him. When I saw him accept the World Series trophy and his emotional reaction to the moment, I was in tears, too.

This seems to be a consensus. I feel exactly the same way. Seeing him accept that trophy made me realize how much the city of Chicago, the Sox, and their fans mean to him.

CubKilla
03-15-2009, 10:57 PM
1 championship in over a quarter-century of ownership is not very good. Threatening to move the Sox out of Chicago to Florida and extorting a stadium out of the tax payers isn't very respectable either. Being the face for the owners during baseball strikes then being a hypocrite afterwards works against him also.

I'd respect the man alot more if I was a Bulls fan.

Jpgr91
03-15-2009, 11:06 PM
1 championship in over a quarter-century of ownership is not very good. Threatening to move the Sox out of Chicago to Florida and extorting a stadium out of the tax payers isn't very respectable either. Being the face for the owners during baseball strikes then being a hypocrite afterwards works against him also.

I'd respect the man alot more if I was a Bulls fan.

Its a competitive market. Cities and states give companies large tax breaks all of the time to move to their city. The State has profited from building Comiskey park when you factor in the jobs that have stayed in Chicago as well as the sales tax generated from the park. Not to mention, I think the ISFA is funded with an extra hotel tax.

The man has won 7 championships and built 2 stadiums. I like him, a lot.

DumpJerry
03-15-2009, 11:09 PM

I know how you feel.....what's my name?

The four years I was in high school coincided with Bill Veeck's four years, so I was spoiled.

I won't go into all the gripes I had about the guy prior to 2005, everyone pretty much shares them.

nasox
03-15-2009, 11:37 PM
I only have one true beef with him these days: I abhor and reject his idea that a sporting event needs to be a mile a minute bombardment of entertainment. Enough with the stupid scoreboard races between innings or during timeouts, enough with the shooting of t-shirts into the stands and enough with canned scoreboard music.

I also reject the fact that these activities bring a ton of revenue into the teams. Ok, while this is true, sponsors will pay to attach their name to Nancy's minute long organ songs, and other more traditional ballpark and ballgame activities. I don't mind a little canned music or a one or two scoreboard races, but overkill is overkill.

I put this on Reinsdorf because in the end, the buck stops with him Reinsdorf should see how the Hawks do it. A Hawks game to me is so much more fun than a Bulls game because of the difference of down-time activites (and I like basketball a bit more than hockey!).

Oh, and for reference, I am a member of the target "youth" demographic.

UChicagoHP
03-15-2009, 11:53 PM
Pau Gasol would have been nice, Jerry

whitesox901
03-15-2009, 11:58 PM
He's fairly hands off and willing to spend money. Can't ask for more in an owner (except not threatening to move the team...)

ditto

SoxGirl4Life
03-15-2009, 11:58 PM
Pau Gasol would have been nice, Jerry

that's hilarious.

Jerome
03-16-2009, 12:13 AM
The Bulls Dynasty! nuff said

#1swisher
03-16-2009, 12:23 AM
I have nothing but the utmost respect for Mr. Reinsdorf, for all that he has given to the City of Chicago. :smile:

SOXfnNlansing
03-16-2009, 12:40 AM
What I like about the Chairman is he fosters an environment of loyalty and brotherhood with former White Sox players. A lot of teams will parade some hero of yesterday on the field (see north side club) to promote that team and make fans feel good about themselves, but the White Sox have their former players in the dugout, in the booth, and in executive positions that actually control the White Sox's destiny.

That man loves baseball. He loves baseball from watching a young person play catch with a father to watching 25 guys win a championship at the highest level. If he was not a good man; if he wasn't fair, there's no way that people would want to be around him or the White Sox. Personally, I don't care about what non Sox fans say about him or how he's perceived. I feel blessed that we have that man on top creating a winning environment and providing a ball park that caters to ST holders, fans, and especially young kids. There aren't too many owners that would buy out his spring training facility and move to a more expensive, state of the art facility for the reason mainly that his team doesn't have to travel alot for spring games.

Lip Man 1
03-16-2009, 12:56 AM
History will record both the good things he has done (winning a World Series for example and his extensive charity work) and it will also record the things Sox fans wish he never did (his part in collusion in the 1980's, his threats to move the franchise, his part in the labor impasse of 1994 and his role in the White Flag Trade).

Like any normal person he has done both good and bad things in his life...he just happens to be the CEO of the franchise.

Lip

WhiteSox5187
03-16-2009, 01:06 AM
I will say this, he's a man of his word. He always said "If fans fill the park I will spend the money," and sure enough that's what he did (even though I think that's a bit backwards). He has done a lot of bad things but for every bad there is at least one good. I still think he is loyal to a fault though.

Dan H
03-16-2009, 08:45 AM
History will record both the good things he has done (winning a World Series for example and his extensive charity work) and it will also record the things Sox fans wish he never did (his part in collusion in the 1980's, his threats to move the franchise, his part in the labor impasse of 1994 and his role in the White Flag Trade).

Like any normal person he has done both good and bad things in his life...he just happens to be the CEO of the franchise.

Lip

I agree with this. I have been a critic but I can't say he hasn't done decent things or has succeeded in great ways. But he, like any other successful person, has had great swings. The Bulls had their great success in the '90's and no Chicago team has matched that. But since Jordan left, the Bulls have done next to nothing and that is a long time to be lousy or just average. The Sox did win the World Series finally breaking though after Chicago teams failed decade after decade. But we will see how this rebuilding period goes. And don't kid yourself. The team is rebuilding not restructuring. That is what they should do. But the legacy of the White Flag Trade still haunts this team and no one in the organization will say the word "rebuild."

Red Barchetta
03-16-2009, 09:20 AM
I have met JR and spoken with him a few times over the years. He is very approachable and likes to talk directly with fans and/or investors as he is truly interested in their feedback.

Currently, the man has seven chamionships for the city of Chicago. He was smart enough to realize he caught lightening in a bottle with Michael Jordan and was able to build a NBA dynasty around him.

Unlike the Bulls, who have no competition in the city, the SOX have a different challenge. Overall, I feel the SOX have been competitive since his arrival. I remember how excited I was when the SOX signed Carlton Fisk. It was the first true super free agent we had signed in that era and I knew the new ownership were serious about winning. Too bad the Sportsvision experiment failed during the same time the Tribune company media empire purchased the cross-town competition.

In the end, JR is a smart business man who will not operate in negative margin territory. He is true to his investors and business partners.

If anything, i think he is sometimes too loyal to his management team. I think the Ron Schueler era went too long as well as the current Bulls executive brass. During the 90s, I always thought the main compoent we were missing was a strong manager; i.e. Lemont, Bevington, Manuel....

The only true "mistake" I think they made was not gaining more fan input and focus group input prior to building Comiskey II. I'm happy that the US Cellular sponsorship funds have helped fix many of the aesthetic mistakes, however building a ballpark designed for the suburbs on a landlocked city block was a mistake the organization is still working to correct almost 20 years later.

SOXfnNlansing
03-16-2009, 09:43 AM
The only true "mistake" I think they made was not gaining more fan input and focus group input prior to building Comiskey II. I'm happy that the US Cellular sponsorship funds have helped fix many of the aesthetic mistakes, however building a ballpark designed for the suburbs on a landlocked city block was a mistake the organization is still working to correct almost 20 years later.

Good point

asindc
03-16-2009, 10:07 AM
I can honestly say that by winning it all in 2005, my opinion of Mr. Reinsdorf greatly improved.

My sentiments exactly. My opinion of Reinsdorf soured greatly with his role in the 1994 lockout when the Sox had the best player in baseball and arguably the best team in the AL. I truly felt that '94 was finally "the year." The fact that he seemed more focused on the labor issues than the great opportunity to end the drought had me questioning his understanding of Sox history and whether his business drive overwhelmed his commitment to winning. Don't get me wrong, I always thought he was sincere in wanting to win. I just wondered if he prioritized it the way I wanted to see it.

What I like about the KW/Ozzie era is that Reinsdorf saw the value in bringing in guys who had lasting ties to the organization and believe the Sox to be a special team to work for. I think 2005 is a culmination of that, and Reinsdorf's willingness to change his approach. I always said that if he won just one World Series, I would retract everything bad I said about him (which was plenty). So it is...

By the way, my fantasy team name changes over the years:

1998- Jerry's Lament
2001-Jerry's Redemption
2006- Jerry's Atonement