PDA

View Full Version : Roster if the season started today

Whitesox029
03-15-2009, 07:04 PM
I decided to branch this off the 5th outfielder thread to be discussed more generally.
I sat down yesterday and I got this:

Pitching staff
Buehrle SP
Danks SP
Floyd SP
Contreras SP
Colon SP
Jenks RP
Dotel RP
Linebrink RP
Thornton RP
Richard RP/SP
Marquez RP/SP

Starting position players
Pierzynski C
Konerko 1B
Beckham 2B
Fields 3B
Ramirez SS
Quentin LF
Anderson CF
Dye RF
Thome DH

Bench
Miller C
Owens OF
Wise OF
Betemit IF
Getz IF

Obviously there are a few things that are unsure here, but these are my current opinions. Beckham seems too far along as a hitter to try to keep him at Shortstop in the minors. He's said he'd be fine with switching to 2nd (it's an easier position anyhow). Getz has been the most impressive of the other IF candidates, so I've got him making the team, as well as Betemit for his experience and versatility, if not for his bat, but I don't remember hearing whether we plan on carrying 12 pitchers or not. If we do, either Getz or Betemit will be left off in favor of Wassermann.

All this assumes Contreras and Colon are able to start the season on the roster, of course. By his line from today's game, Jose looks like he's right on track. Still 2+ weeks left in spring training, which is plenty of time to get ready after your first spring outing, in my opinion. Thoughts?

SoxGirl4Life
03-15-2009, 07:10 PM
I don't think Beckham breaks camps as the starting 2b. Getz has been solid as well.

Frater Perdurabo
03-15-2009, 07:14 PM
Keep thinking the good thoughts!

LITTLE NELL
03-15-2009, 07:17 PM
If Owens does'nt pick it up in the remaining ST games he will be traded or released.

MeanFish
03-15-2009, 07:19 PM
I decided to branch this off the 5th outfielder thread to be discussed more generally.

Pitching staff
Buehrle SP
Danks SP
Floyd SP
Contreras SP
Colon SP
Jenks RP
Dotel RP
Linebrink RP
Thornton RP
Richard RP/SP
Marquez RP/SP

Pierzynski C
Konerko 1B
Beckham 2B
Fields 3B
Ramirez SS
Quentin LF
Anderson CF
Dye RF
Thome DH

Bench
Miller C
Owens OF
Wise OF
Betemit IF
Getz IF

Obviously there are a few things that are unsure here, but these are my current opinions. Beckham seems too far along as a hitter to try to keep him at Shortstop in the minors. He's said he'd be fine with switching to 2nd (it's an easier position anyhow). Getz has been the most impressive of the other IF candidates, so I've got him making the team, as well as Betemit for his experience and versatility, if not for his bat, but I don't remember hearing whether we plan on carrying 12 pitchers or not. If we do, either Getz or Betemit will be left off in favor of Wassermann.

All this assumes Contreras and Colon are able to start the season on the roster, of course. By his line from today's game, Jose looks like he's right on track. Still 2+ weeks left in spring training, which is plenty of time to get ready after your first spring outing, in my opinion. Thoughts?

- Beckham should go to the minors and start. Getz has been good enough (so far) to earn the 2B spot, which makes the decision not to risk Beckham's development easy.

- Owens won't make this team if the season starts today. Instead you can probably pencil in Lillibridge, who can back up CF, 2B and SS with similar tools at the plate.

- If Colon and Contreras fill out the rotation, I think Marquez goes to AAA and someone else (possibly Poreda) takes his place in the pen.

- I don't see Miller ending up with the backup catcher job. I see Stewart or Armstrong instead.

DumpJerry
03-15-2009, 07:20 PM

Pitching staff
Buehrle SP
Danks SP
Floyd SP
Contreras SP
Colon SP
Jenks RP
Dotel RP
Linebrink RP
Thornton RP
Richard RP/SP
Marquez RP/SP

Pierzynski C
Konerko 1B
Beckham 2B
Fields 3B
Ramirez SS
Quentin LF
Anderson CF
Dye RF
Thome DH

Bench
Miller C
Owens OF
Wise OF
Betemit IF
Getz IF

There will most likely be twelve pitchers (throw in Poreda). Owens is playing this spring like someone whose favorite letters are "DFA" since, IIRC, he is out of options. Beckham won't be with the team until September. Lillibridge will back up Getz at 2nd.

CWSpalehoseCWS
03-15-2009, 07:56 PM
I think it's either going to be Wise or Owens. IMO, no way both of them make this team. Kroeger has been way more productive than Owens, so I would think he would beat him out.

KyWhiSoxFan
03-15-2009, 08:20 PM
My team as of March 15:

Pitching staff
Buehrle SP
Danks SP
Floyd SP
Contreras SP
Colon SP
Jenks RP
Dotel RP
Linebrink RP
Thornton RP
Richard RP
Poreda RP

Pierzynski C
Konerko 1B
Getz 2B
Fields 3B
Ramirez SS
Quentin LF
Wise CF
Dye RF
Thome DH

Bench
Armstrong C
Anderson OF
Betemit IF
Lillibridge IF
Kroeger, IF

If they go with 11 pitchers (which I have above), Marquez will be in AAA. The 25th man is Kroeger.

SoxGirl4Life
03-15-2009, 08:32 PM
here we go again.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/03/big-steps-for-contreras-white-sox.html

Nice entry by Gonzales. But at the end. Ozzie was impressed with Owens today.

SoxGirl4Life
03-15-2009, 08:34 PM
My team as of March 15:

Pitching staff
Buehrle SP
Danks SP
Floyd SP
Contreras SP
Colon SP
Jenks RP
Dotel RP
Linebrink RP
Thornton RP
Richard RP
Poreda RP

Pierzynski C
Konerko 1B
Getz 2B
Fields 3B
Ramirez SS
Quentin LF
Wise CF
Dye RF
Thome DH

Bench
Armstrong C
Anderson OF
Betemit IF
Lillibridge IF
Kroeger, IF

If they go with 11 pitchers (which I have above), Marquez will be in AAA. The 25th man is Kroeger.

That would work. Poreda over Marquez, and Kroeger over Owens

Frater Perdurabo
03-15-2009, 08:36 PM
here we go again.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/03/big-steps-for-contreras-white-sox.html

Owens need only have a pulse for Ozzie to be impressed.

NLaloosh
03-15-2009, 09:05 PM

Pitching staff
Buehrle SP
Danks SP
Floyd SP
Contreras SP
Colon SP
Jenks RP
Dotel RP
Linebrink RP
Thornton RP
Richard RP/SP
Marquez RP/SP

Pierzynski C
Konerko 1B
Beckham 2B
Fields 3B
Ramirez SS
Quentin LF
Anderson CF
Dye RF
Thome DH

Bench
Miller C
Owens OF
Wise OF
Betemit IF
Getz IF

You're high if you think Beckham is the starting 2b.

champagne030
03-15-2009, 09:15 PM
Owens need only have a pulse for Ozzie to be impressed.

And pictures, the word of his kid, shots, or some other bull**** reason.

JB98
03-15-2009, 09:31 PM
The Sox will carry 12 pitchers. There's no way both Owens and Wise will make the club. They are redundant. I think Lillibridge makes the team in a reserve role. Beckham will start the season in the minors, but we'll see him at USCF before the year is over.

Starting position players: Pierzynski, Konerko, Getz, Ramirez, Fields, Quentin, Wise, Dye, Thome.

Bench players: Anderson, Betemit, Lillibridge, Miller

Starting pitchers: Buehrle, Floyd, Danks, Contreras, Colon

Relief pitchers: Jenks, Linebrink, Thornton, Dotel, Richard, Carrasco, Poreda

soxinem1
03-15-2009, 09:37 PM
I'm going to go for it, with the batting order:

Getz 2B
Pierzynski C
Quentin LF
Thome DH
Dye RF
Konerko 1B
Ramirez SS
Fields 3B
Anderson CF

Pitching staff
Buehrle SP
Floyd SP
Danks SP
Contreras SP
Marquez SP
Jenks RP
Dotel RP
Linebrink RP
Thornton RP
Richard RP
Carrasco RP
Poreda SP/RP

I think Bart will be on the DL to start the year.

Bench
Stewart/Armstrong C
Lillebridge INF/OF
Wise OF
Betemit IF

While tempting, I think the same approach the team took with Big Frank in ST 1990 should apply here.

Beckham has the chance to be the best middle infielder produced by the farm system since Ray Durham, and could definitely be more of an impact player than Ray ever was.

He might be the best middle INF guy ever developed by the team, at least offensively. Think about it. How many great offensive 2B or SS have we produced with Beckham's skills? Try none. Ever.

No need to rush him like KC did with Alex Gordon.

Of course the great thing I like about this years pending roster is that it has more home-grown possibilities than we have seen in a LONG time.

whitesox901
03-16-2009, 12:06 AM
SP Mark
SP Floyd
SP Danks
SP Jose
SP Colon

Line-Up:
CF Owens
C AJ
LF TCQ
RF Dye
DH Thome
1B Konerko
SS Ramirez
3B Fields
2B Getz

Bullpen:
Jenks
Linebrink
Dotel
Richard
Thornton
Carasco

Bench
C Armstrong
IF Lillibridge
IF Betimit
OF Wise
OF Anderson

BadBobbyJenks
03-16-2009, 12:20 AM
Rotation:
SP Mark
SP Floyd
SP Danks
SP Jose
SP Colon

Line-Up:
2B Getz
SS Ramirez ( I love the idea of Alexei hitting in front of Q and seeing more fastballs)
LF TCQ
RF Dye
DH Thome
1B Konerko
C Pierzynzki
3B Fields
CF Anderson

Bullpen:
CL Jenks
SU Linebrink
SU Thornton
MRP Dotel
MRP ? Poreda maybe, but do we need 3 lefties?
MRP Carasco
LR Richard

Bench
C Armstrong
IF Betimit
OF Wise
UTL Lillibridge

JB98
03-16-2009, 12:22 AM
Folks, I don't think that Getz is going to bat leadoff. Ozzie has stated several times that he doesn't want to put that type of pressure on him.

Personally, I would leadoff with Ramirez. I think Ozzie will go with Wise.

SOXfnNlansing
03-16-2009, 12:26 AM
Bench: C Miller; INF Betemit; OF Wise; INF Lillibridge; OF Kroeger

Starting Players

C AJ
1B PK
2b Getz
SS Ramirez
3B Fields
LF Quentin
CF Anderson
RF Dye

DH Thome

I think Owens gets released. I think that Fields can lose his job early in the season to Betemit. If Anderson sucks out of the gate, he might get traded or released clearing the way for Wise to try out in CF and calling up Beckham to sit on the bench and play sparingly. Maybe they'd keep Anderson on the bench and keep Beckham in the minors. Who knows?

BadBobbyJenks
03-16-2009, 12:28 AM
Folks, I don't think that Getz is going to bat leadoff. Ozzie has stated several times that he doesn't want to put that type of pressure on him.

Personally, I would leadoff with Ramirez. I think Ozzie will go with Wise.

You are probably right, but I just didn't see another option. Alexei's OBP is not ideal of leadoff and ditto for Wise.

voodoochile
03-16-2009, 12:31 AM
here we go again.

He reached base 3 times with a walk and a double. That's what you want your leadoff guy to do. What's not to like in today's appearance?

JB98
03-16-2009, 12:32 AM
You are probably right, but I just didn't see another option. Alexei's OBP is not ideal of leadoff and ditto for Wise.

There is no ideal leadoff hitter on the roster, though. When you think of the potential candidates (Wise, Owens, Getz, Ramirez), which one is the best hitter?

I think the answer is clearly Alexei. Even though he is a free swinger, I'd be more comfortable having him take the most at-bats on the team as the leadoff hitter than any of those other guys.

That's my opinion, but I don't think Ozzie will agree with me. I don't think he will give Getz the nod either.

CWSpalehoseCWS
03-16-2009, 01:24 AM
Bench: C Miller; INF Betemit; OF Wise; INF Lillibridge; OF Kroeger

Starting Players

C AJ
1B PK
2b Getz
SS Ramirez
3B Fields
LF Quentin
CF Anderson
RF Dye

DH Thome

I think Owens gets released. I think that Fields can lose his job early in the season to Betemit. If Anderson sucks out of the gate, he might get traded or released clearing the way for Wise to try out in CF and calling up Beckham to sit on the bench and play sparingly. Maybe they'd keep Anderson on the bench and keep Beckham in the minors. Who knows?

There's no way Beckham gets called up to sit on the bench. KW has already said this. Other than that, I agree with the players you have.

chisox123
03-16-2009, 10:30 AM
Is Lance Broadway going to be making the team? I don't understand why he wouldn't as he has proven that he could be a good bullpen guy, or even a spot-starter. I'd take him over Poreda right now.

JB98
03-16-2009, 01:49 PM
Is Lance Broadway going to be making the team? I don't understand why he wouldn't as he has proven that he could be a good bullpen guy, or even a spot-starter. I'd take him over Poreda right now.

When did Broadway prove that he can be a good bullpen guy? Did I miss something here?

NLaloosh
03-16-2009, 01:50 PM
I would go with this lineup:

Ramirez SS
Getz 2b
Quentin LF
Thome DH
Dye RF
Konerko 1B
A.J. C
Fields 3B
Anderson CF

Bench - catcher(any), Betemit, Lillibridge or Nix, Kroeger or Wise. Owens should be gone.

Betemit definitely makes the team because of his bat, switch hitting and ability to play,to some degree, 4 positions including 1B.

Nix or Lilli ? Well, if Nix is injured then it's done. Otherwise, it's a tossup.

Kroeger or Wise? Probably Wise gets the nod due to familiarity. And, if Owens is off then they probably need to take Wise and possibly Lilli for the base stealing.

delben91
03-16-2009, 03:08 PM
And, if Owens is off then they probably need to take Wise and possibly Lilli for the base stealing.

Can I dare to dream that Lillibridge makes the team and we can dub him B-Lilli? :praying:

RockyMtnSoxFan
03-16-2009, 05:37 PM
I doubt that Colon will be ready by Opening Day. It looks like the next in line for a starting spot would be Poreda or Marquez. From what I've gathered, Poreda has more upside, so I'd take him. Also, when will we need a fifth starter? From what I can tell we might be able to make it until the 15th of April.

sox1970
03-16-2009, 05:42 PM
I doubt that Colon will be ready by Opening Day. It looks like the next in line for a starting spot would be Poreda or Marquez. From what I've gathered, Poreda has more upside, so I'd take him. Also, when will we need a fifth starter? From what I can tell we might be able to make it until the 15th of April.

Richard or Marquez. Poreda really only has a shot at the bullpen if he makes the team.

Randar68
03-16-2009, 05:42 PM

Pitching staff
Buehrle SP
Danks SP
Floyd SP
Contreras SP
Colon SP
Jenks RP
Dotel RP
Linebrink RP
Thornton RP
Richard RP/SP
Marquez RP/SP

If the season started today there is no way in hell Colon or Contreras would be on the roster.

Contreras, best case scenario, isn't going to be start-ready till the first or 2nd week of April and his first projected start would be against the Twinkies on April 10th or 11th, IIRC.

Also, given how long it has taken Colon to get on the mound and how out of shape he is, unless he has a ridiculous outing or 2 before the season starts, it would be a disservice to everyone involved if Clayton Richard wasn't one of the 4 starters. He has earned that spot moreso than a fat has-been power pitcher who can barely touch 90.

RockyMtnSoxFan
03-16-2009, 06:25 PM
I'd forgotten about Richard when I posted. So, Richard should be the fourth starter for the first two weeks. Then, if Contreras is ready, he can step into the fifth spot. Colon will probably start the season on the DL and go through extended Spring Training.

White City
03-16-2009, 06:54 PM
Merkin just the other day said that Marquez "is a lock to make this team." Maybe he is full of it, but if not, then some folks in this thread need to adjust their pitching projections accordingly.

russ99
03-16-2009, 07:08 PM
Merkin just the other day said that Marquez "is a lock to make this team." Maybe he is full of it, but if not, then some folks in this thread need to adjust their pitching projections accordingly.

Marquez bombed yesterday, Re-adjust expectations...

I'll go with:

CF - Owens/Wise winner - Right now it's Wise, but that could change.
2B - Ramirez
LF - Quentin
RF - Dye
1B - Konerko
DH - Thome
C - Pierzynski
3B - Fields
2B - <fill in here>

No one's grabbed the 2B job yet. Beckham's played very well, but he's going to AA to start. No need to rush the kid. If Getz wins by default, he won't lead off, as per Ozzie.

Bench:
OF - Anderson
IF - Betemit (plays every position, led AL in pinch hit AB's last year - he's the lock)
SS/OF - Lillibridge
3B - Viciedo (even if he plays once a week, as hanging around Jose and Alexei would acclimate him much better and faster than a stint in AAA)
C - Stewart (for defense) though Miller's tearing the cover of the ball right now.

SP1 - Burls
SP2 - Danks
SP3 - Floyd
SP4 - Contreras (dude looks ready)
SP5 - Richard (Colon on the DL to start out)

CL - Jenks
SU - Linebrink
SU - Thornton
MR - Dotel
MR - Carrasco
LR - Poreda

bradchifan3
03-17-2009, 11:09 AM

I'll go with:

Ugh.....

Soxaredabest
03-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Maybe it is just me but I honestly think that every time I have seen Wilson Betemit play this spring, he has made at least one error in the game. Unfortunately there are no fielding stats for ST (that I can find anyway). I really don't think/want Wilson Betemit to break camp. Let me know if I am wrong.

JB98
03-17-2009, 01:42 PM
Maybe it is just me but I honestly think that every time I have seen Wilson Betemit play this spring, he has made at least one error in the game. Unfortunately there are no fielding stats for ST (that I can find anyway). I really don't think/want Wilson Betemit to break camp. Let me know if I am wrong.

You're wrong, although your concern about Betemit's fielding is justified. He SHOULD NOT be our backup option for the middle infield positions. He's an absolute butcher at SS. He's demonstrated that all spring.

He does, however, have a good bat. He's a switch-hitter and should be effective for the Sox in a pinch-hitting role. He's fine as a backup at 3B and 1B, but not in the middle infield. He should be on the club as a bat off the bench.

I think Lillibridge makes the club in a utility/pinch-running role. I'm not sold on his bat, but at least we know he can handle the leather in the middle infield.

Frater Perdurabo
03-17-2009, 01:46 PM
You're wrong, although your concern about Betemit's fielding is justified. He SHOULD NOT be our backup option for the middle infield positions. He's an absolute butcher at SS. He's demonstrated that all spring.

He does, however, have a good bat. He's a switch-hitter and should be effective for the Sox in a pinch-hitting role. He's fine as a backup at 3B and 1B, but not in the middle infield. He should be on the club as a bat off the bench.

So Betemit is kind of like Rob Mackowiak?

Sounds like our CF problems are solved. :tongue:

Tragg
03-17-2009, 01:51 PM

I'll go with:

Even better, the winner of that epic duel gets the most at bats on the team. Nothing like a .260 obp leadoff hitter.

voodoochile
03-17-2009, 03:31 PM
Even better, the winner of that epic duel gets the most at bats on the team. Nothing like a .260 obp leadoff hitter.

Owens' career OBP is .330 and Wise had a .310 OBP against RHP last year. He shouldn't be facing LHP ever. He just can't hit it.

Is there a chance you are overstating your case?

sox1970
03-17-2009, 03:31 PM
I think it's safe to say the lineup is currently:

Wise, CF
Pierzynski, C
Quentin, LF
Dye, RF
Thome, DH
Konerko, 1B
Ramirez, SS
Fields, 3B
Getz, 2B

..or at least these nine.

Bench right now: Anderson, Betemit, Miller, Nix (Lillibridge has been bad)

Beckham isn't going to make the team unless there is some type of trade with Getz, and that's not very likely. The have too many players to still evaluate with Nix and Lillibridge vying for bench spots.

voodoochile
03-17-2009, 03:33 PM
Why do people keep ignoring the platoon situation that is almost a guarantee to happen in CF this year?

There is zero chance Ozzie lets Wise face LHP on a regular basis. He may not be the best manager in the book, but he's not a complete idiot either.

sox1970
03-17-2009, 03:39 PM
Why do people keep ignoring the platoon situation that is almost a guarantee to happen in CF this year?

There is zero chance Ozzie lets Wise face LHP on a regular basis. He may not be the best manager in the book, but he's not a complete idiot either.

I agree Anderson will start against lefties.

My thought going into spring training was that Anderson and Owens would platoon in CF, and Getz and Lillibridge would platoon at 2B--with Owens and Lillibridge splitting the leadoff spot.

Now, Wise has probably replaced Owens, and Lillibridge is stinking up the joint, so who knows.

Actually, I like Getz a lot and think he could lead off against everyone. Ozzie feels different.

thomas35forever
03-17-2009, 03:55 PM
http://www.tvacres.com/images/koolaid5b.jpg

Madscout
03-17-2009, 04:07 PM
I think it is obvious that the two CF's are going to be Wise and Anderson, in a platoon situation. Owens has attempted to steal 3 times and has been caught all 3. His OBP is lower than both Wise's and Anderson's, and his defense doesn't justify him to be on this team, so he really doesn't add much. My quesiton is, if Wise leads off against RP, then who leads off against LP?

TheOzziePlan
03-17-2009, 04:56 PM
My quesiton is, if Wise leads off against RP, then who leads off against LP?

Assuming Getz is starting against righties with Wise in center, I'd say it'll probably be Lillibridge and Anderson against lefties with Lillibridge leading off and Anderson batting 8th or 9th.

TomBradley72
03-18-2009, 09:41 AM
Here's mine. I think Lillibridge makes the team because he provides the best back up SS option to Ramirez and also gives us an emergency OF option. Bettemit makes the team as our only real back up at 1B and 3B. Miller is hitting well and has some experience, so I see him as the back up C. Colon on the DL to start the season.

Pitching-Starters

Mark Buehrle
Gavin Floyd
John Danks
Jose Contreras
Clayton Richard
Pitching-Bullpen

Bobby Jenks
Scott Linebrink
Matt Thornton
Octavio Dotel
D. J. Carrasco
Aaron Poreda
Jeff Marquez
Infielders

Paul Konerko
Josh Fields
Alexei Ramirez
Chris Getz
Brent Lillibridge
Wilson Betemit
Designated Hitter

Jim Thome
Catchers:

A.J. Pierzynski
Corky Miller
Outfielders:

Carlos Quentin
Brian Anderson
Jermaine Dye
Dewayne Wise

bradchifan3
03-18-2009, 10:43 AM
Here's mine. I think Lillibridge makes the team because he provides the best back up SS option to Ramirez and also gives us an emergency OF option. Bettemit makes the team as our only real back up at 1B and 3B. Miller is hitting well and has some experience, so I see him as the back up C. Colon on the DL to start the season.

Pitching-Starters

Mark Buehrle
Gavin Floyd
John Danks
Jose Contreras
Clayton Richard

Pitching-Bullpen

Bobby Jenks
Scott Linebrink
Matt Thornton
Octavio Dotel
D. J. Carrasco
Aaron Poreda
Jeff Marquez

Infielders

Paul Konerko
Josh Fields
Alexei Ramirez
Chris Getz
Brent Lillibridge
William Bettemit

Designated Hitter

Jim Thome

Catchers:

A.J. Pierzynski
Corky Miller

Outfielders:

Carlos Quentin
Brian Anderson
Jermaine Dye
Dewayne Wise

Very good. I even agree 100% with the 7 bullpen guys. But I don't think Corky Miller will make the team.

Sargeant79
03-18-2009, 12:13 PM

Pitching-Starters

Mark Buehrle
Gavin Floyd
John Danks
Jose Contreras
Clayton Richard
Pitching-Bullpen

Bobby Jenks
Scott Linebrink
Matt Thornton
Octavio Dotel
D. J. Carrasco
Aaron Poreda
Jeff Marquez
Infielders

Paul Konerko
Josh Fields
Alexei Ramirez
Chris Getz
Brent Lillibridge
William Bettemit
Designated Hitter

Jim Thome
Catchers:

A.J. Pierzynski
Corky Miller
Outfielders:

Carlos Quentin
Brian Anderson
Jermaine Dye
Dewayne Wise

I agree with this exactly, with the possible exception of Colon being healthy enough to start the season in the rotation. I don't think we're going to know that for sure though until the last minute.

And who is William Bettemit? :tongue:

bradchifan3
03-25-2009, 01:12 PM
Well no Poreda. Who will be the 7 bullpen guys?

sox1970
03-25-2009, 01:21 PM
Well no Poreda. Who will be the 7 bullpen guys?

Marquez, Carrasco, Williams, Thornton, Linebrink, Dotel, and Jenks is my guess.

Right now, if they take two lefties it's Williams and Thornton.
Linebrink, Dotel, and Jenks are locks as well.

Assuming Colon is on the DL, that leaves two spots for:

Marquez, Carrasco, MacDougal, Broadway, and Egbert.

bradchifan3
03-25-2009, 01:25 PM
Williams won't last. I'm really worried about our pitching this season. Could turn into 2007 very quickly :(:

DirtySox
03-25-2009, 01:26 PM
Not sure if it has been mentioned, but Lillibridge leads all spring training players in strikeouts. As in all of baseball.

21 in 54 at bats. I sure hope he won't be hitting much.

Sargeant79
03-25-2009, 01:31 PM
Williams won't last. I'm really worried about our pitching this season. Could turn into 2007 very quickly :(:

I completely disagree. I think that with Contreras and (probably) Colon healthy, that suddenly makes the starting staff very deep. The deeper the starters, the better the bullpen. I feel like this is actually the first year in several where we aren't scraping the bottom of the barrel trying to find that 6th or 7th reliever.

bradchifan3
03-25-2009, 01:41 PM
I completely disagree. I think that with Contreras and (probably) Colon healthy, that suddenly makes the starting staff very deep. The deeper the starters, the better the bullpen. I feel like this is actually the first year in several where we aren't scraping the bottom of the barrel trying to find that 6th or 7th reliever.

That's assuming C & C are both healthy and back to their old selves which is a bit of a stretch if you ask me.

Chez
03-25-2009, 01:45 PM
As others have said before, I would much rather see Clayton Richard coming out of the bullpen than in the rotation.

Whitesox029
03-25-2009, 02:09 PM
Ten days later, my amended picks...can't be too far off now, barring something unexpected.

Pitching staff
Buehrle SP
Danks SP
Floyd SP
Contreras SP
Richard SP
Jenks RP
Dotel RP
Linebrink RP
Thornton RP
Williams RP
Marquez RP
Carrasco RP

Pierzynski C
Konerko 1B
Getz 2B
Fields 3B
Ramirez SS
Quentin LF
Anderson CF
Dye RF
Thome DH

Bench
Miller C
Wise OF
Betemit IF
Lillibridge IF/OF

The only real questions remaining, in my mind, involve Lillibridge (because he isn't hitting), and which guys will fill out the bullpen. I'm going with Williams because he's a veteran and has hardly given up any runs, Carrasco because he's a natural reliever and has had a decent spring, and Marquez because he would be the spot starter/long relief should Contreras or Richard falter. Miller is basically a lock at catcher because of his defense, and Wise is head and shoulders above Owens from what I can tell.

russ99
03-25-2009, 02:42 PM
Ten days later, my amended picks...can't be too far off now, barring something unexpected.

Pitching staff
Buehrle SP
Danks SP
Floyd SP
Contreras SP
Richard SP
Jenks RP
Dotel RP
Linebrink RP
Thornton RP
Williams RP
Marquez RP
Carrasco RP

Pierzynski C
Konerko 1B
Getz 2B
Fields 3B
Ramirez SS
Quentin LF
Anderson CF
Dye RF
Thome DH

Bench
Miller C
Wise OF
Betemit IF
Lillibridge IF/OF

The only real questions remaining, in my mind, involve Lillibridge (because he isn't hitting), and which guys will fill out the bullpen. I'm going with Williams because he's a veteran and has hardly given up any runs, Carrasco because he's a natural reliever and has had a decent spring, and Marquez because he would be the spot starter/long relief should Contreras or Richard falter. Miller is basically a lock at catcher because of his defense, and Wise is head and shoulders above Owens from what I can tell.

Lillibridge isn't fielding well either. I wonder if the Sox would keep the loser of the CF battle over Lillibridge so as to not lose them...

Sargeant79
03-25-2009, 02:46 PM
That's assuming C & C are both healthy and back to their old selves which is a bit of a stretch if you ask me.

Contreras is by all accounts healthy (which is nothing short of miraculous, if you ask me), and Colon appears to be close.

Keep in mind, we're talking about back of the rotation starters here. Most teams, even playoff teams, struggle to find 4 solid starters for an entire year, much less 5. Between Colon, Contreras, Marquez, and Richard, we should get the equivalent of a full season at each of those two rotations spots, possibly more. If all 4 happen to be healthy, then you have injury insurance and/or guys who would otherwise be starting in your bullpen.

From the bullpen, Jenks, Thornton, Dotel, and Linebrink are your vets who will likely have more good days than bad days. Assuming the Sox go with 12 pitchers, you have three spots to fill from amongst Richard, Marquez, Williams, Carrasco, MacDougal (God forbid), Broadway, and Egbert.

That's a pretty good back end of the bullpen. Whoever gets the final few spots from that group will have gotten it because they earned it, not because we didn't have better options. Even the guys on that list who have yet to catch on in the majors are, in most cases, still somewhat considered to be prospects at this point, unlike the parade of 30-year old AAA pitchers that we kept seeing in 2007 and even parts of 2006.

I'll admit that the pitching was what I was most concerned about coming in to this year. Having Colon and Contreras in the picture changes all of that.

Foulke You
03-25-2009, 04:30 PM
MacDougal (God forbid)
MacDougal is throwing the ball well this Spring and the team is paying him a lot of dough. Something tells me that MacDougal will get yet another shot to stick with the big league club. The thought of this frightens the hell out of me. If he does make it, we can only hope the 2006 MacDougal is back and not the 2007/08 version.