PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic Video Tour of Old Comiskey Park

kruzer31
03-15-2009, 03:45 AM
Not sure if this has been posted but there are three newer videos of a Tour of one fans last game ever to old Comiskey Park. Here is the first of the 3. Man did this bring back some awesome memories for me. Hope you all enjoy. Thank you to the author of these videos and thank you for sharing them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaepsBBHTh4&feature=related

JEFF

kruzer31
03-15-2009, 03:53 AM
just watched the first one all the way through and at the 9 min mark, there is a great shot of some Rookie wearin number 35 driving a ball the opposite way for an rbi single. Then a great shot of the replay on the scoreboard. Cant believe its 19 years later and this future HOF might be done.

JEFF

SOXfnNlansing
03-15-2009, 06:19 AM
I just watched all 3 videos. It was really like a time warp. When I was a kid, I used to be afraid of Andy the Clown. In the video, he looked so harmless. There was a real charm to the old park. I liked the organ music like it used to be; Nancy playing for both teams. Walking the concourse was like being at the International Amphitheater. I liked how gritty the vendors were. Walking under the bleachers and up on the catwalk is where scary people were when I was a kid, especially at night games. I remember looking through the arched windows and seeing the city, trees, and people walking about. It was almost being at an amusement park. There was something about walking into the park, seeing an old timer with a hat and cigar talking like a carny selling programs. It is a different experience in today's ball parks.

Frater Perdurabo
03-15-2009, 08:36 AM
Great videos. I watched all three. I could even smell the funnel cakes and grilled onions.

SoxGirl4Life
03-15-2009, 09:57 AM
Great find! wow.. So many of my childhood summer memories center around being at that park. The yellow railings! We used them as monkey bars and swung with our knees pulled up, or snuck under them instead of taking the long way. And Nancy was (and is) amazing!

soxfan21
03-15-2009, 10:12 AM
I think someone posted these videos a month or two ago, but still a great find and I enjoyed watching them again and seeing what the atmosphere was like at Old Comiskey. I only attended one game there when I was younger, so these videos refreshened my memory a little bit.

tebman
03-15-2009, 10:14 AM
I stumbled on those videos a few weeks ago. They're really evocative for those of us could be there and a great introduction for those who couldn't.

You can read comments from some others in this thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=109099&highlight=video).

Woofer
03-15-2009, 12:18 PM
I watched these vids the first time around. It was great to see Andy the Clown, and seeing the old place really brings back the memories. I was half expecting to see myself on here, although we weren't at this game.

whitesox901
03-15-2009, 02:54 PM
:threadrules:

thomas35forever
03-15-2009, 11:53 PM
just watched the first one all the way through and at the 9 min mark, there is a great shot of some Rookie wearin number 35 driving a ball the opposite way for an rbi single. Then a great shot of the replay on the scoreboard. Cant believe its 19 years later and this future HOF might be done.

JEFF
A rookie wearing number 35, huh? And he's a future HOFer? Who the hell is this guy, anyway?:cool:

whitesox901
03-15-2009, 11:58 PM
Comiskey park FTW

SOXfnNlansing
03-16-2009, 12:46 AM
I remember there was something magical about the Golden Box seats. I'd get in for $4 general admission and sit in those seats back in the early 80's.

Irishsox1
03-16-2009, 03:16 PM
On the second video the guy has some shots of the mexican food stand. My dad just loved those taco's. However, driving home, the smell was pure hell.

Law11
03-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Great stuff.. i remember the CTA buses on 35th after the games lined up to head west after the games.. That was our mode. California to 35th.. 35th in
before the driving days.

That park was so great. i remember as a kid just getting excited to see the light standards as you came down 35th.. Then walking in it just sounded and smelled like a ballpark. There were food stands anywhere they could find room. I remember the walk underneath through the picnic area, wet damp musty cement floors, as you walked to CF and came up the steps to the bleachers..

So many memories..

beasly213
03-18-2009, 11:10 AM
Ha my first Sox game was at Old Comiskey when I was six and the Sox won 1-0 too!

Brokertothestars
03-18-2009, 06:10 PM
Thanks for all the props and feedback about the video. It's a lot of fun to be able to share the memory of my last visit to Old Comiskey with you guys - certainly the right audience!

I really did try to capture the essence of the park. Each area definitely had it's own personality. Also, as someone pointed out, it felt comfortable, laid back, not like walking into a shopping mall like today's newer yards.

A couple of notes...someone mentioned that Matt Stark, the DH for the Sox that night, had something like 20 total at bats in his ML career, so this also serves as a career highlight reel for Stark!

My only directing regret is that I didn't film the lineup graphic on the left side of the scoreboard, instead, choosing to focus on "1990 Chicago White Sox". My bad.

I've been to the new park twice since I moved to St Louis in 92. Sure the concourses are roomier and the bathrooms cleaner etc, but I miss that old place.

Still a Sox fan, and now a Cardinal fan too. Lots of symmetry. Plus being able to watch Pujols regularly doesn't suck either! Now if they both made the Series, I would have a problem!!

Thanks again for watching and GO SOX!

Woofer
03-18-2009, 07:05 PM
Thanks for all the props and feedback about the video. It's a lot of fun to be able to share the memory of my last visit to Old Comiskey with you guys - certainly the right audience!

I really did try to capture the essence of the park. Each area definitely had it's own personality. Also, as someone pointed out, it felt comfortable, laid back, not like walking into a shopping mall like today's newer yards.

A couple of notes...someone mentioned that Matt Stark, the DH for the Sox that night, had something like 20 total at bats in his ML career, so this also serves as a career highlight reel for Stark!

My only directing regret is that I didn't film the lineup graphic on the left side of the scoreboard, instead, choosing to focus on "1990 Chicago White Sox". My bad.

I've been to the new park twice since I moved to St Louis in 92. Sure the concourses are roomier and the bathrooms cleaner etc, but I miss that old place.

Still a Sox fan, and now a Cardinal fan too. Lots of symmetry. Plus being able to watch Pujols regularly doesn't suck either! Now if they both made the Series, I would have a problem!!

Thanks again for watching and GO SOX!

Thanks for posting the videos, I laughed out loud when you said that Andy the Clown wasn't long for this world. He wasn't.
If you haven't been to the "new Comiskey" in a while, get up here and give it another chance. There have been a ton of changes over the last 7-8 years, all for the better. We will always miss the old place, but we have a new home to rock now. Again, thanks for posting, and welcome!

Brokertothestars
03-18-2009, 10:16 PM
Thanks for posting the videos, I laughed out loud when you said that Andy the Clown wasn't long for this world. He wasn't.
If you haven't been to the "new Comiskey" in a while, get up here and give it another chance. There have been a ton of changes over the last 7-8 years, all for the better. We will always miss the old place, but we have a new home to rock now. Again, thanks for posting, and welcome!

Woof, you're right, I really do need to re-visit the new park. Will try to get there this year.
Turns out Andy has his own Wikipedia page! That dude was die-hard!

SOXfnNlansing
03-18-2009, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the trip down memory lane:gulp:

beasly213
03-19-2009, 11:20 AM
:welcome:

soxinem1
03-19-2009, 02:22 PM
I remember there was something magical about the Golden Box seats. I'd get in for $4 general admission and sit in those seats back in the early 80's.

A lot of people did it in the mid to late 80's too!:rolleyes:

Frankfan4life
03-19-2009, 10:51 PM
What really struck me about the videos besides the old memories is that hardly anyone wore Sox gear to the games. How times have changed!