PDA

View Full Version : Colon and Contreras to start soon!

JermaineDye05
03-12-2009, 08:36 PM
Contreras to start Sunday against the Mariners and Colon Monday against the Royals!!

Link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090312&content_id=3975120&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

:o::o::o::bandance::bandance::bandance:

whitesox901
03-12-2009, 09:41 PM
I feel a lot better about the rotation with Colon and Jose ready to go

SoxGirl4Life
03-12-2009, 09:42 PM
I feel a lot better about the rotation with Colon and Jose ready to go
I'd feel better if they are ready to go, AND they are good

gf2020
03-12-2009, 10:01 PM
The resurrection JC has pulled off is nothing short of astounding. Even if it doesn't work out, I really appreciate his effort when he could probably have called it quits.

ChiSoxGirl
03-12-2009, 10:09 PM
The resurrection JC has pulled off is nothing short of astounding. Even if it doesn't work out, I really appreciate his effort when he could probably have called it quits.

I couldn't agree more. I'm completely shocked at his quick recovery!

Hitmen77
03-12-2009, 10:13 PM
I'd feel better if they are ready to go, AND they are good

Agreed. I think the progress they have made back from injuries is great. But it remains to be seen if they have anything left.

Frontman
03-12-2009, 11:56 PM
If they are both .500 pitchers; I'll be very thankful (and surprised) by it. That being said; I give Jose a TON of credit for working his rear off to even be considered close to ready. And if Colon can keep it in shape, and work himself up to even 80% of his top form; it will be awesome.

scarsofthumper
03-13-2009, 12:10 AM
I'm more confident in Jose than Colon at this point, but I'm glad they're back in

tm1119
03-13-2009, 12:55 AM
Colon hasnt done anything worthy since 05, and Jose hasnt done anything since the 1st half of 06. Im really not too optimistic about either of them. If we can get 150+ innings combined with a combined ERA > 5 Id be very happy.

TheOldRoman
03-13-2009, 01:07 AM
Colon hasnt done anything worthy since 05, and Jose hasnt done anything since the 1st half of 06. Im really not too optimistic about either of them. If we can get 150+ innings combined with a combined ERA > 5 Id be very happy.:?: First off, Contreras was pretty damn good last year until he got hurt. He tailed off right before he went on the DL, and came back for an inning before tearing his ACL. And did you really mean to say you would be happy with them if they had an ERA greater than 5?

tm1119
03-13-2009, 01:42 AM
:?: First off, Contreras was pretty damn good last year until he got hurt. He tailed off right before he went on the DL, and came back for an inning before tearing his ACL. And did you really mean to say you would be happy with them if they had an ERA greater than 5?

Contreras was OK last year before he got hurt, but he was not good by any means. And it doesnt take much to see that he is just not the same pitcher he was in 05. Who knows, maybe the long layoff from last year will rejuvenate his tired arm, but Im just not optimistic about a 35+ year old pitcher coming off injury.

And yeah, guess I need to go back to 2nd grade and get my signs right. ERA under 5 is what I'm aiming for between the 2.

oeo
03-13-2009, 01:47 AM
Contreras was OK last year before he got hurt, but he was not good by any means.

Wrong. From mid-April until the beginning of June (when he started having problems), he was our best pitcher. He was pitching hurt for over a month before he said anything. If he's healthy, he will be good. The thing is keeping him healthy. The same goes for Colon...he looked good with the Red Sox last year, you just have to keep him healthy.

tm1119
03-13-2009, 02:09 AM
Wrong. From mid-April until the beginning of June (when he started having problems), he was our best pitcher. He was pitching hurt for over a month before he said anything. If he's healthy, he will be good. The thing is keeping him healthy. The same goes for Colon...he looked good with the Red Sox last year, you just have to keep him healthy.

He had a 4.5 era. Thats more than just a few bad starts. Im not saying that hes not capable of being good for us, and I hope that he can, but its just as likely of him being bad as it is him being good. Pitchers at his age (and who knows how old that really is) are just not that likely to succeed.

HomeFish
03-13-2009, 02:15 AM
Contreras showed flashes of brilliance last season. Certainly at the Memorial Day game that I was fortunate enough to attend.

Konerko05
03-13-2009, 02:59 AM
I'm going to be holding my breath every pitch these guys throw until they break down again. It would be amazing if they could actually stay healthy for the entire season. It's highly unlikely, but stranger things have happened.

cws05champ
03-13-2009, 08:21 AM
:?: Maybe he'll be ready by Easter :D:

Sargeant79
03-13-2009, 09:53 AM
I'm going to be holding my breath every pitch these guys throw until they break down again. It would be amazing if they could actually stay healthy for the entire season. It's highly unlikely, but stranger things have happened.

Maybe, but with those two healthy, the rotation suddenly has the depth to absorb an injury to one or both.

Ideally, Contreras and Colon both make it through the season, but I'm not holding my breath for that either. The nice thing is that now Marquez and Richard are the injury replacements who may wind up with somewhere around 10-15 starts between them rather than them being two guys being counted on for 200 innings apiece. Not only is this more likely to result in success for the starting staff as a whole, but it is probably better for their development by not having them counted on for so much so early.

Rdy2PlayBall
03-13-2009, 09:58 PM
I'm thinking #4 is Jose and #5 is Clayton. I don't think Colon will be able still start for a little while in a full game anyway, so Clayton will probably get the spot. It might be a switch-off between Colon and Jose. Which sounds nice, especially if Jose never needs to lose a start because he is dominating everyone. :D:

soxfanreggie
03-13-2009, 10:50 PM
That is great news that they're both progressing well. If we can get something out of one of them to start the season, that would be fantastic. From what I have heard, JC is in the best shape of his career.

ChiSoxGirl
03-14-2009, 01:36 AM
:?: Maybe he'll be ready by Easter :D:

I'll give that a big Alleluiah, considering Easter marks the sixth game of the season. :wink:

Metalthrasher442
03-14-2009, 01:24 PM
I have to give Jose credit. He is still one of my favorite Sox pitchers. It's not like he wanted to go down, and when he did he worked his hardest to get back up and pitch for this team. I wish him the best, but I will still be holding my breath every time he takes the mound. Not because I think he's gunna pitch a bad game, really just because he could get injured again.

On that note though, I will probably be buying a John Danks jersey this season. If Floyd can pitch as well as last season though.. he will make my decision tough.

soxlady8
03-14-2009, 07:06 PM
If everything turns out okay with Contreras and Colon , I think the Sox will be in pretty good shape with pitching !!! I was a little bummed out with the possible rotation for this season , but I am warming up to it NOW ---
Let's see what the beginning of the season brings us !!

chisoxfanatic
03-14-2009, 07:36 PM
This definitely makes me more confident about our pitching. I was worried we'd have question marks for a large quantity of the season. 1-5 would be solid.

SoxGirl4Life
03-14-2009, 07:37 PM
is the game on anywhere tomorrow? Jose is starting

DirtySox
03-14-2009, 07:56 PM
is the game on anywhere tomorrow? Jose is starting

http://www.southsidesox.com/2009/2/24/770269/white-sox-spring-training

Doesn't look like it. But if you have MLBTV you can watch Bartolo pitch on Monday.

everafan
03-14-2009, 10:19 PM
Jose's MO is - Great in Apr and May, mediocre in June, horrible in July, DL in Aug, good in Sept. So if you can spell him a bit during the season, he can be a good asset.

Bucky F. Dent
03-15-2009, 11:04 AM
Let's go, Jose.
I don't think that it is an overstatement to say that this is the most important pitching performance of the spring for the Sox.

Quentin4prez
03-15-2009, 11:24 AM
im kind of bummed that i cant even listen to the game today =( good luck Count

SoxGirl4Life
03-15-2009, 11:31 AM
im kind of bummed that i cant even listen to the game today =( good luck Count
MLB.com is doing free audio, I believe

Metalthrasher442
03-15-2009, 05:44 PM
Two scoreless innings four strike outs =D

UChicagoHP
03-15-2009, 06:26 PM
If we can get 300 innings from CandC combined, I'll be extremely happy. As long as they are healthy in October for the World Series run, I'll be even happier.

Frontman
03-15-2009, 06:31 PM
Two scoreless innings four strike outs =D

Good to hear. Now, if Colon can even come close to that; I'll be happy tomorrow.

SoxGirl4Life
03-15-2009, 07:39 PM
Comcast is going to run highlights in a minute. I was wondering because it wasn't televised anywhere I could find.

Lip Man 1
03-15-2009, 07:53 PM
Pretty amazing performance. I thought he was finished, apparently not.

However I'm still in a 'wait and see' mode until the games actually mean something and lineups are stacked with big league hitters.

That being said however, if he can come back it's a huge bonus....no Richards, no Marquez.

Lip

Madscout
03-15-2009, 09:11 PM
Gotta say that I am just over the moon about this. I know it is only spring training, and I know that it was only 2 or so innings, but you gotta feel good about a guy that wants to play that bad. It would have been easy for him just to hang it up, with all he has been through the past few years (the defection, family issues, injuries particularly this last one), but he works hard all winter, comes to camp in shape and ready to go. Makes me just feel good inside, even before the start of the season.

Bucky F. Dent
03-15-2009, 09:37 PM
This is the best news of the spring.

thomas35forever
03-15-2009, 11:47 PM
I'm extremely happy with what I've heard out of Glendale. 4 K's out of 7 batters faced? I expect a big ovation from the crowd during his first home start.

whitesox901
03-16-2009, 12:01 AM
Jose is the man

SOXfnNlansing
03-16-2009, 12:44 AM
I hope he starts on Saturday.

gf2020
03-16-2009, 02:37 AM
This is amazing. He brings so much to this club. I'd rather have him pitch on one leg than Javier on two.

IronFisk
03-17-2009, 01:40 AM
Colon no-gouda today. Eh - one game - still like him as our 4 or 5.

WhiteSox5187
03-17-2009, 02:24 AM
I have bitched about Contreras in the past, but I have so much respect for him for busting his ass to get back to good health so he can contribute whatever he can in 2009. Even if he sucks this year, he will have my absolute respect. He is the anti-Javy.

As for Colon, I'm not worried about today. The fact that Jose didn't get shelled was kind of surprising to me.

KenBerryGrab
03-17-2009, 10:33 AM
The fact that Colon was on a mound in a ballgame is worth celebrating.

guillensdisciple
03-17-2009, 10:52 AM
I say the White Sox are fortunate going into the season if our rotation includes Mark, John, Galvin, Jose, and Bartolo. Marquez and Richard coming out of the bullpen will give them the experience they need coming out of the bullpen and this will facilitate their entry into the starting roles if one of the starting 5 were to tail off or get injured during the year.

The White Sox pitching staff is a lot deeper then I have ever envisioned, and I am beginning to gain a lot of confidence about this year.

LoveYourSuit
03-17-2009, 11:17 AM
Any report on how Colon's velocity came out after game 1?

I think the key for him is velocity. If he can find 92-93 once again, he will be fine.

Randar68
03-17-2009, 12:00 PM
Any report on how Colon's velocity came out after game 1?

I think the key for him is velocity. If he can find 92-93 once again, he will be fine.

Yep, that will be the key... you can't have a power pitcher out there throwing 89... Personally, I have never seen him be overly effective when his fastball sat much below 94-95.

Again, I don't know why we would want Colon in there so badly as well as Richard pitched last year once he settled in and as good as he's looked this spring.

Randar68
03-17-2009, 12:05 PM
BTW, official site's Colon outing article mentions he touched low-90's in yesterday's outing. Good to hear.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090316&content_id=3999274&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Hope as he gets stronger and loosens up a bit he can make it back to the 95 mph range. He used to get stronger as the game went on, but I doubt he is going to get the chance to see those kind of innings until extended spring training or early minor league outings.

EnglishChiSox
03-17-2009, 12:59 PM
The commentator on the webcast seemed impressed with his velocity but could not say how high it was accurately. I think the Sox have the idea that Colon wouldn't be ready until May/June anyway so i do not think there is any rush. Let Colon work in ESA/AAA and if the 5th starter doesn't do so great he's a nice little option for later in the year.

Randar68
03-17-2009, 01:34 PM
The commentator on the webcast seemed impressed with his velocity but could not say how high it was accurately. I think the Sox have the idea that Colon wouldn't be ready until May/June anyway so i do not think there is any rush. Let Colon work in ESA/AAA and if the 5th starter doesn't do so great he's a nice little option for later in the year.

Yeah, I just have this feeling that Richard is this year's Danks and I would hate to see Colon handed the starting job out of spring when:
1) He isn't ready
2) He hasn't earned it

But I think you're right that he won't be ready for another 1-2 months at best.

Madscout
03-17-2009, 04:05 PM
Yeah, I just have this feeling that Richard is this year's Danks and I would hate to see Colon handed the starting job out of spring when:
1) He isn't ready
2) He hasn't earned it

But I think you're right that he won't be ready for another 1-2 months at best.
There is no reason to throw away a guy that knows how to pitch, as Colon does. But yeah, if Richard earns the job and rakes, there is no reason to mess with a good thing, and it is possible that Colon could contribute out of the pen.

RockyMtnSoxFan
03-21-2009, 12:45 AM
There is an article on whitesox.com about Colon pitching in a minor league game, and Jose's start against the Giants. Apparently, Colon pitched well, though Jose did not. The article, however, makes it sound like the Sox are expecting them both to be ready by Opening Day, and Clayton Richard is merely a backup plan. Personally, I think that Colon should go to extended spring training, and Colon should not pitch until the middle of April, which is the first time the Sox will really need a fifth starter. Richard can be the fourth guy until then.

SOX ADDICT '73
03-21-2009, 02:40 PM
There is no reason to throw away a guy that knows how to pitch, as Colon does. But yeah, if Richard earns the job and rakes, there is no reason to mess with a good thing, and it is possible that Colon could contribute out of the pen.
Didn't he have issues last year when Boston wanted him to pitch out of the bullpen?
http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view.bg?articleid=1120289&srvc=home&position=active

Madscout
03-21-2009, 02:54 PM
Didn't he have issues last year when Boston wanted him to pitch out of the bullpen?
http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view.bg?articleid=1120289&srvc=home&position=active
Man, he looks fat in that picture. If he doesn't pitch in the pen want to pitch in the pen, then fine, we don't have to pay him.

Rdy2PlayBall
03-21-2009, 02:55 PM
There is an article on whitesox.com about Colon pitching in a minor league game, and Jose's start against the Giants. Apparently, Colon pitched well, though Jose did not. The article, however, makes it sound like the Sox are expecting them both to be ready by Opening Day, and Clayton Richard is merely a backup plan. Personally, I think that Colon should go to extended spring training, and Colon should not pitch until the middle of April, which is the first time the Sox will really need a fifth starter. Richard can be the fourth guy until then.Why Richard at fourth? I'd much rather have him at fifth. :?:

Lip Man 1
03-21-2009, 06:40 PM
The way the pitching staff has gotten lit up like a Christmas tree this week I'd appreciate ANYBODY pitching well right now.

Lip

RockyMtnSoxFan
03-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Why Richard at fourth? I'd much rather have him at fifth. :?:

Just because he'll be ready at the beginning of the season, and Jose might need a few extra starts in ST. No other reason. Besides, it doesn't really matter what order they pitch.