PDA

View Full Version : Jon Heyman (SI) Article on KW

delben91
03-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Interesting read (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jon_heyman/03/11/whitesox.williams/index.html).

Nothing too new to the folks on this board, but definitely some good quotes.

If this falls under "mediot" territory, please send it to the roadhouse.

Billy Ashley
03-11-2009, 01:30 PM
I like Kenny Williams and I do believe he is criminally underrated- however, I don't think he's one of the games very best general managers as the article seems to argue.

He's done a very good job making the White Sox relevant in the International market while also having exploited some other teams on some fairly lopsided deals.

That said, his draft history is pretty spotty and while that's more of an indictment on the entire organization, his role as general manager should receive credit/ blame for. Additionally, the Ken Griffey trade was utterly pointless last season and at times, he tends to totally ignore depth.

The 09 team has a ton of holes- however, I'd be willing to give him a lot of credit for showing financial restraint this off-season. The recession could very well end up biting a lot of teams on the ass this year and the following season. We're with in sight of another massive market correction among major league contracts. When talented guys like Adam Dunn and Pat Burrell are struggling to find deals worth more than 20 million- something is up.