PDA

View Full Version : White Sox in on Will Ohman?

gf2020
03-10-2009, 06:54 PM
So says Rosenthal (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9317496/Pedro-must-pitch-well-at-WBC-to-score-new-deal?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=49).

I'd like another bullpen arm, but unless we could get him dirt cheap, I'd probably pass. If we were going to get anybody after Colon, I'd much prefer it have been Orlando Hudson.

oeo
03-10-2009, 07:05 PM
I don't know how good he would be, but you can never have enough arms. If he's still available, he's going to come cheap or he isn't going to be pitching this year.

NLaloosh
03-10-2009, 08:11 PM
I think it would be a good idea to add him. He's a decent 2nd lefty to have. This would enable the Sox to take their time on Poreda.

Also, it would make the pen better without Russell or Wassermann. Marquez could either be the 5th starter or start in Charlotte.

Richard makes a good long man out of the pen.

The pen would be real nice like this:

Jenks
Linebrink
Thornton
Dotel
Ohman
Richard
Carrasco

That's solid.

getonbckthr
03-10-2009, 08:14 PM
If I remember correctly he sucked with the Cubs. No thank you.

oeo
03-10-2009, 08:17 PM
If I remember correctly he sucked with the Cubs. No thank you.

If he sucks, you cut him.

whitesox901
03-10-2009, 08:18 PM
I think it would be a good idea to add him. He's a decent 2nd lefty to have. This would enable the Sox to take their time on Poreda.

Also, it would make the pen better without Russell or Wassermann. Marquez could either be the 5th starter or start in Charlotte.

Richard makes a good long man out of the pen.

Jenks
Linebrink
Thornton
Dotel
Ohman
Richard
Carrasco

That's solid.

agreed, very solid given they all pitch as they are capable of, which I think is very, very likely

EnglishChiSox
03-10-2009, 08:42 PM
He'd be nice to have on the team but the Sox shouldn't pay too much, Thornton is a good enough matchup or LH 7/8th inning guy.

Tragg
03-10-2009, 11:52 PM

Jenks
Linebrink
Thornton
Dotel
Ohman
Richard
Carrasco

That's solid.
I'd like to see Poreda in there and then in the roatation hopefully in a season or 2.
Carrasco had his only decent year in 4 ML seasons last year, at the age of 31. He only pitched 38 innings (hard to believe). I think he pitched better than his ERA. Hopefully it lasts, but I'm not countring on it.
Thornton is a really good pitcher, who can handle the 8th or even 9th probably. He's a level (or more) above an Ohman, who's pretty mediocre- I wouldn't pay much for him.

slavko
03-11-2009, 12:08 AM
If he sucks, you cut him.

That is how you handle bullpen guys, esp. lefties. They learn a new pitch, move their foot over an inch, hold the ball a little different and it's like magic. Juan Agosto went from horrrrrrible with us to smokin' with the Astros in a year.

DrCrawdad
03-11-2009, 12:10 AM
That is how you handle bullpen guys, esp. lefties. They learn a new pitch, move their foot over an inch, hold the ball a little different and it's like magic. Juan Agosto went from horrrrrrible with us to smokin' with the Astros in a year.

Was there more to it with Agosto than switching to the Astros? I just looked at his stats and he had 3 very good years but fell off when he went to the Cardinals.

oeo
03-11-2009, 12:18 AM
I'd like to see Poreda in there and then in the roatation hopefully in a season or 2.

Poreda should be working on his offspeed stuff in the minors.

Thornton is a really good pitcher, who can handle the 8th or even 9th probably. He's a level (or more) above an Ohman, who's pretty mediocre- I wouldn't pay much for him.Why has Thornton even entered this discussion? Yes, Thornton is better, Ohman would not be replacing him. Ohman might be a good option as another lefty. If he bombs, let him go.

Tragg
03-11-2009, 01:23 PM

Why has Thornton even entered this discussion? Yes, Thornton is better, Ohman would not be replacing him. Ohman might be a good option as another lefty. If he bombs, let him go.
You can't just let them go - if we could, MacDougal wouldn't be here. You have to pay them.

oeo
03-11-2009, 01:27 PM
You can't just let them go - if we could, MacDougal wouldn't be here. You have to pay them.

MacDougal is also making a significant amount of money, Ohman would not be. Yeah, you still have to pay him, but a few months at a small one year deal isn't going to put a hurting on anything.

DirtySox
03-11-2009, 01:31 PM

This.

I want Poreda to reach his ceiling and it's not likely to happen coming out of the bullpen every now and then throwing 99% fastballs. Let him put in work in AAA.

Foulke You
03-11-2009, 02:48 PM
I wouldn't be against it if Ohman came cheap. Looking at his career stats, they are typical for a veteran reliever. Good some years and bad other years. However, I am weary of so-so career NL pitchers but as others have pointed out, if he sucks, you can always cut him loose and call up someone else. The question I have though is will the Sox carry three lefty pitchers in the bullpen in Thornton, Richard, and Ohman? Or would Ohman edge out Richard for a bullpen spot and they keep Marquez as the long man instead?

russ99
03-23-2009, 02:40 PM
Was there more to it with Agosto than switching to the Astros? I just looked at his stats and he had 3 very good years but fell off when he went to the Cardinals.

Just what are you insinuating? This was before steroids broke. Canseco had his boost in '88 and as far as I can tell, he was the first one to use them. As a point of reference, Caminiti has his substance-boost years starting in 1995.

Sheesh. The guy had zero build and he hit his peak years in Houston in a role that he was good at. Besides, in 1990 the Astros fans called him 'Disgusto' too...

DrCrawdad
03-23-2009, 06:50 PM
Just what are you insinuating? This was before steroids broke. Canseco had his boost in '88 and as far as I can tell, he was the first one to use them. As a point of reference, Caminiti has his substance-boost years starting in 1995.

Sheesh. The guy had zero build and he hit his peak years in Houston in a role that he was good at. Besides, in 1990 the Astros fans called him 'Disgusto' too...

No, I was not insinuating steroids. I was wondering if pitching in the Astrodome was pitcher-friendly.

Ziggy S
03-24-2009, 01:03 AM
No, I was not insinuating steroids. I was wondering if pitching in the Astrodome was pitcher-friendly.

The Astrodome was quite a pickle for hitters in the days of its existence. Twas a pitchers' paradise that old indoor diamond.