PDA

View Full Version : Mauer's Back Won't Let Him Come Back

SBSoxFan
03-10-2009, 01:26 AM
Twins' Mauer having back problems (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090309&content_id=3953730&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb).

I hope it's nothing serious; there's no telling what the doctor might have nicked during the kidney operation. However, I wouldn't mind him not being ready until after the first week of the season too. :smile:

bunty_doghunter
03-10-2009, 04:21 AM
Your back would be sore too if you had to carry the twins for months every year.

whitesox901
03-10-2009, 05:15 AM
Maybe he should take the whole season off, just in case :wink:

guillensdisciple
03-10-2009, 05:16 AM
I hope for his full recovery. I believe in beating teams at their best not when they are missing an all-star caliber player.

DumpJerry
03-10-2009, 07:21 AM
So, he and Joe Crede will be able to sit back and complain about their aching backs together.

SoxGirl4Life
03-10-2009, 07:49 AM
I think Mauer had some kidney thing going on during the off season. I do wish him the best, because that sounds kinda serious.

esbrechtel
03-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Thats too bad...he is a great player

doublem23
03-10-2009, 09:09 AM
Your back would be sore too if you had to carry the twins for months every year.

:rolling:

I hope he's all right, it's much more satisfying to beat the Twins and watch him cry into his sideburns.

WhiteSox1989
03-10-2009, 09:30 AM
Hope he's okay, and makes a full recovery for this season.

Frontman
03-10-2009, 09:46 AM
Well, speedy recovery and all that; but if he goes to talk to Crede, Joe might of disappeared again...

Any abdominal surgery is bound to cause some pain and grief for a bit afterwards. I tip my hat to any player who comes back and performs well after any type of major surgery.

Iwritecode
03-10-2009, 10:33 AM
I hope for his full recovery. I believe in beating teams at their best not when they are missing an all-star caliber player.

I believe in beating teams no matter what their roster looks like. :cool:

HomeFish
03-10-2009, 11:05 AM
That team always seems to get better when they lose a guy.

Remember when their LF got injured, and they brought in Lew Ford who killed us?

Remember how happy we were when Pierzynski got sent to SF...and then they brought in a new catcher who killed us?

Remember how happy we were when Everyday Eddie left the team...and then they brought in a new closer who killed us?

Remember how happy we were when Liriano was injured and Johan bolted for the Mets...and then they put together a scrappy rotation that almost beat us for the division, if not for a lucky coin flip?

Remember how happy we were when Torri Hunter left as a FA, and then they brought in Carlos Gomez who killed us?

The Twins aren't a baseball team, they're a machine. One of them goes down, they bring in a new cog that's just as good at embarrassing us and making us look slow, plodding, and silly. I will never be happy about a Twins injury; I will just be terrified at the devil I don't know who is about to get called up to replace the devil I know.

voodoochile
03-10-2009, 11:08 AM

Remember how happy we were when Pierzynski got sent to SF...and then they brought in a new catcher who killed us?

Remember how happy we were when Everyday Eddie left the team...and then they brought in a new closer who killed us?

Remember how happy we were when Liriano was injured and Johan bolted for the Mets...and then they put together a scrappy rotation that almost beat us for the division, if not for a lucky coin flip?

Remember how happy we were when Torri Hunter left as a FA, and then they brought in Carlos Gomez who killed us?

The Twins aren't a baseball team, they're a machine. One of them goes down, they bring in a new cog that's just as good at embarrassing us and making us look slow, plodding, and silly. I will never be happy about a Twins injury; I will just be terrified at the devil I don't know who is about to get called up to replace the devil I know.

It's one thing to replace a piston. It's something entirely different to rebuild the tranny...

soltrain21
03-10-2009, 12:00 PM
It's one thing to replace a piston. It's something entirely different to rebuild the tranny...

Hey, what Joe Mauer does off the field is none of our business.

KenBerryGrab
03-10-2009, 12:20 PM
The Twins aren't a baseball team, they're a machine. One of them goes down, they bring in a new cog that's just as good at embarrassing us and making us look slow, plodding, and silly.

Yes. Like the Borg.

oeo
03-10-2009, 12:22 PM

I just think it's funny that you brought up Lew Ford. Where is good 'ole Lewwwww? Oh, he's a bad baseball player who was a product of that dome like most of their "good" players?

HomeFish
03-10-2009, 12:27 PM
I just think it's funny that you brought up Lew Ford. Where is good 'ole Lewwwww? Oh, he's a bad baseball player who was a product of that dome like most of their "good" players?

I don't know where Lew Ford is, but wherever he is he's probably reminiscing about all the times that he kicked our ass and humiliated us.

oeo
03-10-2009, 12:29 PM
I don't know where Lew Ford is, but wherever he is he's probably reminiscing about all the times that he kicked our ass and humiliated us.

Bouncing 20 foot choppers off the turf? Jamming himself into a bloop hit?

Lew Ford was lucky more than anything, and that's likely why he's vanished.

HomeFish
03-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Bouncing 20 foot choppers off the turf? Jamming himself into a bloop hit?

Lew Ford was lucky more than anything, and that's likely why he's vanished.

Well, I'm sure he's content with having won more division titles than his counterpart Carlos Lee.

oeo
03-10-2009, 12:35 PM
Well, I'm sure he's content with having won more division titles than his counterpart Carlos Lee.

I think he's probably more content on why he sucks at baseball.

WhiteSox5187
03-10-2009, 01:43 PM
oh my god that made me spit water out at the screen.

SOXPHILE
03-10-2009, 01:43 PM

You said the same thing in 2005 too. How'd that work out ?

Personally, I think Mauer should get Tommy John surgery, just to be sure. Maybe that will help his back. It'll take 18 months to recover, but you can never be too careful.

whitem0nkey
03-10-2009, 01:45 PM
after reading a few post I though I was on the twins board.

Now im with everybody you never root for an injury. but some of us may be over doing the whole classy baseball fan thing.

Im not happy about it and would rather beat them full strength but im not saddened by the news either.

WhiteSox5187
03-10-2009, 02:01 PM
after reading a few post I though I was on the twins board.

Now im with everybody you never root for an injury. but some of us may be over doing the whole classy baseball fan thing.

Im not happy about it and would rather beat them full strength but im not saddened by the news either.
When Hunter went out Kenny had a good quote, something along the lines of "You never want to see a player get hurt, but I don't recall getting any messages of condolence when Frank and Maggs went down last year for us."

DSpivack
03-10-2009, 02:04 PM
I think he's probably more content on why he sucks at baseball.

One of the funniest moments I've seen in baseball is sitting in the bleachers when Bobby Kielty fell on his ass diving for a ball. Then the Twins traded him a few days later.

esbrechtel
03-10-2009, 02:16 PM

Ha I was thinking along these same lines...

MISoxfan
03-10-2009, 02:58 PM

Personally, I think Mauer should get Tommy John surgery, just to be sure. Maybe that will help his back. It'll take 18 months to recover, but you can never be too careful.

I'm sure he said the same thing in 2008 too. Its so annoying to constantly hear how great they are and how bad we are from the same person. In this decade we've won more games, more playoff series, and more World Series than the Twins. They've won 1 more division title.

CWSpalehoseCWS
03-10-2009, 05:45 PM
Good news for us. At least Crede won't be lonely.

getonbckthr
03-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Bottom line is winning. I'm sure nobody in Twinkieland was praying that Crede and Contreras and at the end Quentin was healthy.

HomeFish
03-10-2009, 06:36 PM

But I was right in 2003, 2004, 2006, and very nearly in 2008. The Twins finish ahead of us more often than not. They are, comparatively, a better team in almost every way. Our only bragging rights are the fact that we have won a World Championship most recently -- but even within my lifetime the Twins have won more Championships than the Sox.

DSpivack
03-10-2009, 06:45 PM
But I was right in 2003, 2004, 2006, and very nearly in 2008. The Twins finish ahead of us more often than not. They are, comparatively, a better team in almost every way. Our only bragging rights are the fact that we have won a World Championship most recently -- but even within my lifetime the Twins have won more Championships than the Sox.

Please. They may have built a team to get there, but they can't even get out of the first round. Wake me up when they actually win something that matters.

whitesox901
03-10-2009, 07:12 PM

:redneck

PKalltheway
03-10-2009, 08:29 PM
Comparing the 1987 and 1991 Twins to the Twins of this decade is like comparing night and day. The only thing those teams have in common with each other is the fact that they are called the Minnesota Twins.

We get it. You think the Twins are better than the Sox. You have shown us that they have won *gasp* one more division title than the Sox since 2000. But don't use Twins teams from 20 years ago to help solidify your point that today's Twins are somehow better than the Sox of today.

As far as this decade goes, what would you rather be? 0-4, or 1-3? I'll take hitting .333 over hitting .000 any day.

MISoxfan
03-10-2009, 10:16 PM

Very nearly right in 2008? :rolleyes:

You may have been nearly right because the Twins finished a half game out, but how did you predict the Sox to do last year?

And also our only bragging rights do not only include winning a World Championship most recently. They also include winning a division championship most recently. They also include winning 2 out of the last 3 division championships between the two teams. The Twins put together a good run between 2002-2004. We've been better since.

Nellie_Fox
03-11-2009, 01:25 AM
I think Mauer had some kidney thing going on during the off season.He had surgery to repair an obstruction in his kidney that he'd apparently had for some time. The back pain he's experiencing now may very well be related.

seventyseven
03-11-2009, 09:42 AM

The only thing the Twins have taught us in the last ten years is that you cannot infield-single your way to a World Series. With only a few exceptions, the Twins are comprised of over-achieving scrubs. I cannot wait to see how they fare without their precious dome.

EndemicSox
03-11-2009, 10:07 AM
Serious back pain already? The move from to catcher to 1B/DH/? may come earlier than expected.

Nellie_Fox
03-12-2009, 01:30 AM
He had surgery to repair an obstruction in his kidney that he'd apparently had for some time. The back pain he's experiencing now may very well be related.The Pioneer Press today (http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_11886737?nclick_check=1) said that the back pain is not related to the kidney surgery.

soxlady8
03-14-2009, 07:11 PM
I don' t wish him any ill will . I caught one of his foul balls early last summer (but an Usher made me give it back , due to the fact that like 3 foul balls later some kid got hurt and the dude made me give the kid the ball .. ewwwwww ). He is honestly a good player. However, with him being down it could make OUR chances a bit better ---

DumpJerry
03-14-2009, 07:39 PM
During the Sox broadcast today, Stone said Mauer us going for a second opinion on the back to figure out what is wrong with it. Not a good sign.

Frontman
03-14-2009, 09:00 PM
The only thing the Twins have taught us in the last ten years is that you cannot infield-single your way to a World Series. With only a few exceptions, the Twins are comprised of over-achieving scrubs. I cannot wait to see how they fare without their precious dome.

I wonder if the scouting staff for the Twins when scouting possible college and international players have kept that in mind.

To me, I don't hate the Twins; as they are an organization that has been competitive for years and seems to do it "right" in that sense. If they beat the Sox; its because they put together a better team and got the job done, 'nuff said.

That being said, its like Paruch said on the Score today. Just because you can constantly make the playoffs does not make it easier/more likely to win the World Series. You win a World Series by winning 11 games after the end of the regular season.

HomeFish
03-14-2009, 10:03 PM
On an unrelated note, has anyone else noticed that Hawk tends to call him "mau-ra"?

Frontman
03-14-2009, 10:06 PM
On an unrelated note, has anyone else noticed that Hawk tends to call him "mau-ra"?

Hawk's calling the games? I haven't paid attention......:wink:

J/K I think Hawk's voice is beginning to go; as some words he isn't as clear on as he used to be.

I did laugh at watching the Classic MLB game on MLB Network with him and Drysdale the other day. Hearing that he still uses about 80% of the same lines as then just makes me appreciate him for a while longer.

Lip Man 1
03-15-2009, 12:57 PM
Front:

But if you don't make the post season, you have no chance to win it right?

I believe in the law of averages. The more you play in October the better the chance that someday, finally, everything will click for you.

Just my thinking on this matter.

Lip

DumpJerry
03-15-2009, 07:22 PM
Front:

But if you don't make the post season, you have no chance to win it right?

I believe in the law of averages. The more you play in October the better the chance that someday, finally, everything will click for you.

Just my thinking on this matter.

Lip
The 1990's Braves might take issue with this assertion. Only one World Series title during that run.

Lip Man 1
03-15-2009, 07:55 PM
But they did win one Dump. If they never got the chance in the first place, they would have had zero chance no?

(And personally I'd love for the Sox to make the postseason 14 straight years and "only" win one title. I'd give up my right arm for that.)

Lip

SoxSpeed22
03-15-2009, 08:09 PM
It is an inflammation, but this sounds like something that could linger all year.

Zisk77
03-15-2009, 10:11 PM

Rememeber when torii hunter broke his leg in 2005 and was replaced by Lew Ford and they still sucked and we won the world series?

WhiteSoxOnly
03-15-2009, 10:24 PM
Rememeber when torii hunter broke his leg in 2005 and was replaced by Lew Ford and they still sucked and we won the world series?

Nicely played :nod:

JB98
03-15-2009, 11:19 PM

LOL. Awesome post.

There's nothing I hate more than Sox fans sucking up to the Twins.

The Twins are crappy. They are perpetual losers.

SoxSpeed22
03-15-2009, 11:39 PM
Somebody has to make a sign that says 'The Twins are crappy. They are perpetual losers' next time they come into town.
JB98, I better see one of those on TV this year.

whitesox901
03-16-2009, 12:10 AM

:Rocker:

JB98
03-16-2009, 12:19 AM
Somebody has to make a sign that says 'The Twins are crappy. They are perpetual losers' next time they come into town.
JB98, I better see one of those on TV this year.

Well, I sit in Row 13 of the UD behind home plate. That's not a real good location as far as getting on TV goes.

I suppose I can make that sign the first home weekend of the year. It will be about 12 degrees, so there will be no one in the park except for me. Maybe I'll be the only one holding a sign, and they'll put me on.

cws05champ
03-16-2009, 08:58 AM
Do you remember that? That was cool!!

DumpJerry
03-20-2009, 05:48 PM
He's out indefinitely. (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9333360/Mauer-says-he-won%27t-be-ready-for-opening-day?MSNHPHMA)

Safe bet that we won't see him the first weekend in April.

MarkZ35
03-20-2009, 08:10 PM
He's out indefinitely. (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9333360/Mauer-says-he-won%27t-be-ready-for-opening-day?MSNHPHMA)

I feel no sympathy.

ChiSoxGirl
03-21-2009, 01:06 AM

Oh, how sad. :wink:

chisoxfanatic
03-21-2009, 03:22 AM
The Twins are crappy. They are perpetual losers.
I'll never grow tired of reading this copyrighted line from you, JB98. You fortunately get to write at least four TBGRs this season when we play the "crappy perpetual losers." I'm looking forward to reading the barbs you throw their way in each of them. :smile:

whitesox901
03-21-2009, 03:56 AM
Oh, how sad. :wink:

:redneck

Frankfan4life
03-21-2009, 04:10 AM
The Twins now have two players with chronic back conditions....http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sick020.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sick020.gif

chisoxfanatic
03-21-2009, 04:11 AM
The Twins now have two players with chronic back conditions....http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sick020.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sick020.gif
Hopefully Denard Span and Carlos Gomez are close behind...

DumpJerry
03-21-2009, 02:51 PM
If Gomez went down for the season, Hawk would be institutionalized with a Thorazine drip in his arm.

SoxandtheCityTee
03-21-2009, 07:35 PM
On that Comcast Spring Training in Depth show they ran today, Garfein quoted Gardenhire as saying he would never get over Game 163. :cool:

Should we black the Twinkies out for their first trip here this year? :redneck

DumpJerry
03-21-2009, 07:43 PM
On that Comcast Spring Training in Depth show they ran today, Garfein quoted Gardenhire as saying he would never get over Game 163. :cool:

Should we black the Twinkies out for their first trip here this year? :redneck
Better yet, we should just show highlights from the game between each half inning. For the players on both teams who were in that game, show their stats for the Blackout Game when come up to bat.......

Maybe they should present Jim Thome an award for his home run before one game. Danks an award for his performance before another game. For the third game, Jenks get an award for his save.

Or is that piling on?

chisoxfanatic
03-21-2009, 07:51 PM
Better yet, we should just show highlights from the game between each half inning. For the players on both teams who were in that game, show their stats for the Blackout Game when come up to bat.......

Maybe they should present Jim Thome an award for his home run before one game. Danks an award for his performance before another game. For the third game, Jenks get an award for his save.

Or is that piling on?
These are the Twins we're talking about. There's no such thing as going overboard when it comes to them.

DumpJerry
03-21-2009, 08:41 PM
These are the Twins we're talking about. There's no such thing as going overboard when it comes to them.
You're right. I was thinking of the Royals for a moment there.......

JB98
03-22-2009, 12:46 AM

Or is that piling on?

In addition, I think they should give Griffey an award for his throw to the plate. Since he is no longer on the Sox, perhaps Junior could videotape an acceptance speech for them to play on the Jumbotron between innings. :bandance:

whitesox901
03-22-2009, 03:30 AM
In addition, I think they should give Griffey an award for his throw to the plate. Since he is no longer on the Sox, perhaps Junior could videotape an acceptance speech for them to play on the Jumbotron between innings. :bandance:
:redneck I like the way you think!

Quentin4prez
03-22-2009, 08:47 AM
is it contagious!?!?!?!?
omg when i got Crede's sig two years ago i touched his hand:o:

AZChiSoxFan
03-23-2009, 06:35 PM

Speaking of "remember when", remember when you picked the Sox to win 46 games in 2005?

Frankfan4life
03-24-2009, 11:48 PM
Word from MLB Network is that Mauer's back problem will not allow him to play for an undetermined length of time. They don't know exactly what the problem is but they suspect it has something to do with his sacroiliac, which is not a common baseball injury.

In my "professional" opinion, I think six months rest might do his back a lot of good.

ChiSoxGirl
03-25-2009, 09:32 PM
Word from MLB Network is that Mauer's back problem will not allow him to play for an undetermined length of time. They don't know exactly what the problem is but they suspect it has something to do with his sacroiliac, which is not a common baseball injury.

In my "professional" opinion, I think six months rest might do his back a lot of good.

Again... how sad. :wink: