PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox sign Lester to a bargain extension

BadBobbyJenks
03-08-2009, 11:03 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2009/news/story?id=3962527

5 years 30 million for an ace sounds like a great deal to me. Option of 14 million in the 6th season.

everafan
03-09-2009, 09:36 AM
I posted this in the Baker thread but it applies here too. Lester might as well say, "I've peaked - this is the best I can get."

cws05champ
03-09-2009, 09:53 AM
I posted this in the Baker thread but it applies here too. Lester might as well say, "I've peaked - this is the best I can get."
Why? They are buying out arbitration years and 1-2 years of free agency. It gives him security now and gives the Red Sox cost certainty for one of their top pitchers through 2014. I'm sure that Danks agent will use this as a comp since they have similar #'s over the last couple years.

It's funny how Steve Phillips and the other talking heads at ESPN say Lester is the best young LH picther in the league(even comparing him to CC) and no mention of Danks and other young LH like Liriano.

jabrch
03-09-2009, 10:01 AM

Or....30mm is a hell of a lot of money to make before I turn 30 years old. Why not lock it in to protect myself against injury. Then, when I hit FA, I can go get another even bigger deal.

I don't agree with your assessment.

DSpivack
03-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Why? They are buying out arbitration years and 1-2 years of free agency. It gives him security now and gives the Red Sox cost certainty for one of their top pitchers through 2014. I'm sure that Danks agent will use this as a comp since they have similar #'s over the last couple years.

It's funny how Steve Phillips and the other talking heads at ESPN say Lester is the best young LH picther in the league(even comparing him to CC) and no mention of Danks and other young LH like Liriano.

Or Kazmir.

asindc
03-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Reminds me of the Longoria deal from last year. Given the state of the economy, I don't blame Lester. Lock it in so you don't have to worry about it for several years. Just look at the deals some very productive vets are being forced to take this offseason.

As far as being the best "young" lefty SP, Lester is certainly in the discussion. If he has a year this year like last year, I would not argue the point.

34 Inch Stick
03-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Or....30mm is a hell of a lot of money to make before I turn 30 years old. Why not lock it in to protect myself against injury. Then, when I hit FA, I can go get another even bigger deal.

Not to mention he is probably more risk averse than the average player given his medical history.