PDA

View Full Version : DJ Destined to Cause 42 Car Pile-Up

Save McCuddy's
03-06-2009, 09:53 AM
My god -- at least on TV, I was getting visual depictions of White Sox baseball to drown out some of the inanity that is Darren Jackson. But on radio -- with nowhere to run and nowehere to hide?

I am quite sure that at some point prior to the all-star break there will ensue some ridiculous account of an at bat that DJ pushed deep into the count and subsequently drove a ball off the wall in Osaka, Tokyo or some such place that will force me to turn my vehicle directly into a concrete embankment in hopes of mercifully ending my life.

Like all other things in Sping Training, one is supposed to show patience, perhaps ignore a few things and wait for April to levy judgement. In the case of DJ, the conventional Spring Training wait and see posture is unnecessary. This will be the worst year of baseball radio in recorded history.

One afternoon last week I flipped to theScore in time for a Thome at bat during which Farmer and Jackson mused about the infield shift. If my dad hadn't called me moments later confirming that he too heard what I heard DJ say, I am not sure that I wouldn't have attributed the sequence to an acid flashback. But no, we both heard him in response to Farmer's query announce that infields shifted on him early in his career. "Of course, the shift was opposite to the way they shift for Jimmy, as I was a right-handed hitter", Darrin explained and went on to say: "they didn't even need a second baseman on the right side of the infield as I was so dead pull. Eventually I began to drive the ball up the middle and occasionally the other way and they began to play me more or less straight up".

Now, DJ did not clarify whether these shifts ocurred in San Diego during his stint there. I certainly don't recall that alignment used against him here as a White Sox. Perhaps he was referring referring to Colt league or Pony? Perhaps his high school days?

Please god spare me DJ.

VenturaFan23
03-06-2009, 10:42 AM
To me, Sox radio will always be unlistenable until Farmer is removed from doing play-by-play or from the broadcast entirely. I'd much rather hear anyone else's voice but his.

DeuceUnit
03-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Where is option D, better than Singleton and not that bad to listen to??

ChiSoxFan81
03-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Where is option D, better than Singleton and not that bad to listen to??

The OP couldn't fathom that such an opinion could exist.

kittle42
03-06-2009, 11:13 AM
To me, Sox radio will always be unlistenable until Farmer is removed from doing play-by-play or from the broadcast entirely. I'd much rather hear anyone else's voice but his.

Amen to that. I really don't need to hear any more about Notre Dame, Sunday mass, and Southern California.

SoxGirl4Life
03-06-2009, 11:14 AM
I might be the only one.. but I like Farmer! :duck:

SOXPHILE
03-06-2009, 01:07 PM
Amen to that. I really don't need to hear any more about Notre Dame, Sunday mass, and Southern California.

By the way, it is Lent for all you Catholics out there, and today is friday, so don't forget you can't eat meat today. I myself am observing this, as I had some grapefruit and cereal this morning, and right now am enjoying a nice fruit salad for lunch, as we broadcast the Sox spring training game here. This evening D.J., I don't know, I was thinking of getting some grilled salmon or something back at the hotel, what do you think ? Anyway, Easter is now only 5 weeks away, so you've got plenty of time to get ready for that, you know ? Get all the Easter baskets and candy for the kids. You like doing that with you kids D.J. ? My kids loved it. Even those Cadbury eggs. Those are good, but I never understood the old commerical for them, when they would show a rabbit clucking like a chicken, and leaving the Cadbury's. I mean, I get the reference to the Easter Bunny and all that, but it really wasn't fooling anyone. Everyone knows rabbits don't lay eggs, even the Easter Bunny. Why couldn't they just show a chicken laying the eggs, and be done with it ? Or perhaps even the Easter Bunny just leaving them in the kids baskets. That would make more sense to me. That's all I'm saying here folks. Well, looks like Coop has said his peace with Danks, and he heads back to the dugout. 2-2 the count....

MsSoxVixen22
03-06-2009, 01:10 PM

I like him too! Always have. I like DJ too. Hey at least he doesn't sound like he's going through puberty like that tool Len Casper sometimes does! :tongue:

SoxGirl4Life
03-06-2009, 01:29 PM
I like him too! Always have. I like DJ too. Hey at least he doesn't sound like he's going through puberty like that tool Len Casper sometimes does! :tongue:

Yay! I'm not alone. Always liked him since his pitching days with this Sox.

esbrechtel
03-06-2009, 01:39 PM
I like DJ...:dunno:
But I think its going to take some time for him to get accustomed to radio...

Farmer I can take or leave...

SaltyPretzel
03-06-2009, 02:43 PM
Yay! I'm not alone. Always liked him since his pitching days with this Sox.

I can't stand the guy. I can never tell what's going on from the tone of his voice. Also, don't tell me a player's next home run will be number 10. Tell me he has 9 home runs.

I hate his tone of voice and the way he talks, which makes me hate him as a radio broadcaster.

beasly213
03-06-2009, 03:03 PM
By the way, it is Lent for all you Catholics out there, and today is friday, so don't forget you can't eat meat today. I myself am observing this, as I had some grapefruit and cereal this morning, and right now am enjoying a nice fruit salad for lunch, as we broadcast the Sox spring training game here. This evening D.J., I don't know, I was thinking of getting some grilled salmon or something back at the hotel, what do you think ? Anyway, Easter is now only 5 weeks away, so you've got plenty of time to get ready for that, you know ? Get all the Easter baskets and candy for the kids. You like doing that with you kids D.J. ? My kids loved it. Even those Cadbury eggs. Those are good, but I never understood the old commerical for them, when they would show a rabbit clucking like a chicken, and leaving the Cadbury's. I mean, I get the reference to the Easter Bunny and all that, but it really wasn't fooling anyone. Everyone knows rabbits don't lay eggs, even the Easter Bunny. Why couldn't they just show a chicken laying the eggs, and be done with it ? Or perhaps even the Easter Bunny just leaving them in the kids baskets. That would make more sense to me. That's all I'm saying here folks. Well, looks like Coop has said his peace with Danks, and he heads back to the dugout. 2-2 the count....

:rolling:

"I'll tell you one thing, if you win today and win tomorrow that's two in a row. Then if you win the next day that's three in a row and that's a winning streak. I mean I'm just saying." -Farmio.

Tekijawa
03-06-2009, 03:08 PM
DJ still has one of the best all time quotes ever during a Sox broadcast...

"Hawk, you can strap it up, you can strap it down, just don't strap one on!"

I died laughing and the dead air on the other end of the Mic just added to it. My brother looked at me and said did he really just say that...

jabrch
03-06-2009, 03:28 PM
You can tell there is reason to be optimistic about White Sox Baseball. People are digging for other crap to bitch about.

HomeFish
03-06-2009, 03:30 PM
I love Ed Farmer. His quirks really grow on you after a few years. Sometimes when I am with my friends in the stands, we try to guess what Ed Farmer is saying right now.

Jim Shorts
03-06-2009, 03:33 PM

I really liked him as color with Rooney. I've cooled on Farmio in the PbP chair, although I really enjoyed the booth last year with Stoney.

whitesox901
03-06-2009, 03:35 PM

Thanks for the heads up, I almost ate a hot dog!

EDIT: I love the title of this thread :D:

Foulke You
03-06-2009, 04:35 PM
I like Ed too. I've grown quite used to him over the years. However, I admit that I enjoyed him a lot more when Rooney was doing most of the play by play and Ed was doing mostly color. That being said, I still think he does a solid job in the booth. You are never going to please everyone as far as announcers go.

DumpJerry
03-06-2009, 04:42 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how DJ will cause 42 cars to hit each other.....

shingo10
03-06-2009, 05:37 PM
I too like DJ. I personally will miss him being in the booth with Hawk this year. I just can't imagine Stone and Hawk having as much fun as DJ and Hawk did. I'm afraid the personality clash is going to make for awkward games but I hope they prove me wrong. Go Sox.

EndemicSox
03-06-2009, 07:08 PM

I agree. Farmer is a good guy, and should have a job with the team if he wants one, but it's time for the WhiteSox broadcast powers that be to move in a different direction.

Frontman
03-06-2009, 07:18 PM

I got your back, SoxGirl. I like Farmio too. Farmer has his moments; as does DJ. Could be worse, it could be Santo.....

everafan
03-06-2009, 08:19 PM
I think DJ sounds fine.

Save McCuddy's
03-06-2009, 08:28 PM
You can tell there is reason to be optimistic about White Sox Baseball. People are digging for other crap to bitch about.

Jabber -- I envy you your sunny disposition about anything whitesox. However, I wouldn't call it digging when in order to consume the product one can not avoid what some consider to be extremely annoying broadcasting.

Furthermore, I'm somewhat amazed at the outpouring of support for DJ. After experiencing the likes of John Rooney, Joe McConnell and Lorn Brown in my tenure as a sox fan I can't imagine thinking that DJ -- or Farmer for that matter -- is an acceptable broadcaster for a team in the 3rd largest market in baseball.

Frontman
03-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Jabber -- I envy you your sunny disposition about anything whitesox. However, I wouldn't call it digging when in order to consume the product one can not avoid what some consider to be extremely annoying broadcasting.

Furthermore, I'm somewhat amazed at the outpouring of support for DJ. After experiencing the likes of John Rooney, Joe McConnell and Lorn Brown in my tenure as a sox fan I can't imagine thinking that DJ -- or Farmer for that matter -- is an acceptable broadcaster for a team in the 3rd largest market in baseball.

Because DJ is one of our own. Not every team will have a Vin Scully type broadcaster. And while Rooney was great, the level of love for him rivals that of Rowand and Crede. At the end of the day, he's just a guy who was good at his job.

And again, to say that DJ is horrid, we deserve better being in the 3rd largest market, etc; again I say to you and to all who beat that drum:

We certainly didn't turn out in droves the first half of last season like you would expect for a fanbase in the 3rd largest market....

Bobby Thigpen
03-06-2009, 09:25 PM
We certainly didn't turn out in droves the first half of last season like you would expect for a fanbase in the 3rd largest market....
:dtroll:

Congratulations on sounding like a Cub fan.

Rohan
03-06-2009, 11:27 PM
I honestly like the farmer and DJ combo.
I think they compliment each other quite well. Just seems ungrateful to pick on a duo that's not really doing anything wrong.

jabrch
03-06-2009, 11:57 PM

My personal philosophy towards baseball is that I save my bitching for real life. I enjoy baseball - and bitch about the economy. Just who I am...

WhiteSoxFan84
03-07-2009, 04:49 AM
I love Ed Farmer. His quirks really grow on you after a few years. Sometimes when I am with my friends in the stands, we try to guess what Ed Farmer is saying right now.

I sometimes wonder if you ARE Ed Farmer... :scratch:

Frontman
03-07-2009, 07:08 AM
:dtroll:

Congratulations on sounding like a Cub fan.

First off, you don't know me; so I'll let the troll and the Cub reference slide this time.

Second, numbers don't lie. As a fanbase, we cry and moan about being treated as the Second City's second team; but we don't have the money and the fanbase the Cubs do. Let them be #1, let them be the fan favorite.

But don't complain that the Sox don't spend the same as the Cubs or other top draws, or that we don't get the airtime that the other top draws do. We don't fill USCF every night. We don't tune in enough for the Sox to have their own network, like the Yankees. And, quite frankly, we don't have the same number of fans that Boston or the Dodgers do.

That's not saying we're any less of a fanbase, or that we don't love our team, or anything of the sort. I'd be at all 81 home games plus road games IF I had the money to do so. But part of the appeal for some Sox fans is that it is a blue-collar team, that's supposed to be the team that the working class can afford to go to. But the majority of Sox fans don't have that kind of money; nor have the appeal and the charm to draw casual fans. Might be casual fans who are morons who want to "experience" a ball park; but they still show up and spend money.

Because at the end of the day, we don't have the numbers nor do the fans who do turn out spend the money like other fanbases do.

RF/DH#3
03-08-2009, 05:02 PM

Like I've said on other threads "I miss John Rooney"... I'd trade Farmer for a broken bat and a bucket of BP balls.

kevingrt
03-08-2009, 05:16 PM

Spring training is great!

Frontman
03-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Spring training is great!

Yes, so we can know beyond a shadow of a doubt that if Lucas Harrell makes an appearance on the MLB roster; the season is a wash. Holy Moley, does that kid serve it up for batters!!!

WhiteSox1989
03-08-2009, 05:26 PM
I like Farmer and DJ. Nothing to complain about there.

I'm excited about Hawk and Stone as well.