View Full Version : Mets’ New Home Is the ‘Anti-Shea’

Fenway
03-05-2009, 02:33 PM
The NY Times tours the completed Citi Field

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/05/sports/baseball/05stadium.html

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/03/04/sports/05citi_slide7.jpg

Irishsox1
03-05-2009, 04:32 PM
What! They tore down Shea? What was wrong with that place? When I was there in 2004 I shared a beer and a hot dog....with a rat.

DumpJerry
03-05-2009, 04:54 PM
What! They tore down Shea? What was wrong with that place? When I was there in 2004 I shared a beer and a hot dog....with a rat.
:sopranos
A rat, huh?

I_Liked_Manuel
03-05-2009, 06:03 PM
My first reaction is that it looks like every other stadium to be built in the last 10 years. There's nothing unique about it as far as I can tell.

Southsider101
03-05-2009, 09:42 PM
The chance of a plumbing malfunction has also been reduced: the Mets have installed waterless urinals, an eco-friendly touch.

Let's hope the Met's worked the kinks out of this one or Citi Field could become Wrigley East.

whitesox901
03-05-2009, 10:36 PM
It looks like they took parts of several different stadium and incorporated it into their stadium

DSpivack
03-05-2009, 10:38 PM
Meanwhile, how long will it be CitiField? How will they afford the stadium otherwise?

C-Dawg
03-06-2009, 07:12 AM
My first reaction is that it looks like every other stadium to be built in the last 10 years. There's nothing unique about it as far as I can tell.

Definately true. I've said it before, but someday when every ballpark is quirky and full of crazy angles, people will discover a newfound appreciation of the clean lines of USCF.

doublem23
03-06-2009, 08:05 AM
Definately true. I've said it before, but someday when every ballpark is quirky and full of crazy angles, people will discover a newfound appreciation of the clean lines of USCF.

The only people still ragging on the Cell are those that haven't been there in 10 years and haven't seen the park since it was all blue and admittedly, pretty ugly.

But I agree with you; Oriole Park and PNC Park are great; the park in San Francisco is supposed to be very nice. Almost everything else... Boring.

HomeFish
03-06-2009, 08:13 AM
Anything is better than Shea. That place looked like a dump even from high up in the sky when you were flying into LaGuardia.

I actually flew into LGA last year and got to see Shea standing next to the mostly built Citi Field. Amazing difference. I'd be thrilled were I a Mets fan. In fact, I'm thrilled as a baseball fan in general.

cws05champ
03-06-2009, 10:17 AM
The chance of a plumbing malfunction has also been reduced: the Mets have installed waterless urinals, an eco-friendly touch.

Let's hope the Met's worked the kinks out of this one or Citi Field could become Wrigley East.

The Cubs have waterless urinals in Wrigley too...it called the concourse. :D:

Huisj
03-06-2009, 10:48 AM
Anyone else think those picture of the stadium with the sunset lighting and the snow make the place look spooky? Pictures of baseball stadiums in the offseason are always so interesting and odd to see.

Railsplitter
03-06-2009, 07:23 PM
Anything is better than Shea. That place looked like a dump even from high up in the sky when you were flying into LaGuardia.

Shea sits atop a landfill created for 1939 World's Fair.

As for the waterless urinals, I hope they have planty of the "big white mints"

Thome25
03-06-2009, 09:47 PM

This exact thing happened to me when I visited Camden Yards for the first time in 2006.

Thome25
03-06-2009, 09:49 PM

OMG.....I laughed so hard I almost woke the wife up!!:D:

Thome25
03-06-2009, 09:50 PM
The only people still ragging on the Cell are those that haven't been there in 10 years and haven't seen the park since it was all blue and admittedly, pretty ugly.

But I agree with you; Oriole Park and PNC Park are great; the park in San Francisco is supposed to be very nice. Almost everything else... Boring.

Camden Yards is a dump.....The Cell and Citizens Bank are by far better ballparks IMO.

AZChiSoxFan
03-06-2009, 10:40 PM

Totally agree.

AZChiSoxFan
03-06-2009, 10:41 PM
Camden Yards is a dump.....The Cell and Citizens Bank are by far better ballparks IMO.

Ouch! I loved Camden Yards. Different strokes for different folks.

DSpivack
03-06-2009, 10:58 PM

I hardly see how it's a dump, I thought it a nice park. To each their own, I guess.

areilly
03-07-2009, 12:00 AM

I can't speak for CBP, and I suppose you're free to say USCF is better than Camden, but I'm curious why you call Camden a dump.

whitesox901
03-07-2009, 02:13 AM

:kneeslap:

Dibbs
03-16-2009, 03:27 PM

Did you forget the teal? I couldn't argue with you if you said you don't like Camden Yards-that's your opinion. Calling it a dump is just ridiculous.