PDA

View Full Version : What Is The Story Behind The Unofficial Retirement of Lau's #6?

Thome25
03-05-2009, 01:18 PM
I know that the Sox have unofficially retired #6 for Charlie Lau and that he was a hitting coach for several teams including the White Sox but, what is the official story behind this? Will the #6 ever be used by the White Sox again?

Thanks for looking and/or posting!!:D:

Edit: for all of you numerologists out there, the White Sox don't have very many single digit numbers left......#2, 3, 4, 6, and 9 are all retired (6 is unofficially retired.). all that's left are #1, 5, 7, and 8.

anewman35
03-05-2009, 01:37 PM
I know that the Sox have unofficially retired #6 for Charlie Lau and that he was a hitting coach for several teams including the White Sox but, what is the official story behind this? Will the #6 ever be used by the White Sox again?

Thanks for looking and/or posting!!:D:

Edit: for all of you numerologists out there, the White Sox don't have very many single digit numbers left......#2, 3, 4, 6, and 9 are all retired (6 is unofficially retired.). all that's left are #1, 5, 7, and 8.

He died of cancer while serving as the White Sox hitting coach (per wikipedia, at least). Maybe the team just thinks it's a mark of respect not to issue the number again? I dunno.

RadioheadRocks
03-05-2009, 03:54 PM
I wasn't aware they had done any sort of retirement of the #6 for Charely Lau. I definitely remember the 1984 team wore arm patches with 6/46 in memory of Lau and Loren Babe (both of whom passed away after the '83 season).