PDA

View Full Version : Why can't we win on Sunday?

Viva Magglio
05-26-2002, 05:14 PM
:angry: With that wonderful effort today, our Sunday record is now a robust 1-6. Overall, it was quite a good :smile: week as we finally took sole possession of first place yesterday. However, I am not pleased with our effort today. Yet again, we made an unknown rookie pitcher look like a Hall of Famer would our four hits. However, I cannot obviously blame the offense solely for this.

Todd Ritchie is turning into a bust. In his last three starts coming into today, Ritchie was 0-3 with a 6.88 ERA. In his present state, Ritchie Valens could pitch better! Notice the lack teal in that last sentence. It would be easy to say move Ritchie out of the rotation, but we just may be too thin to do that. Mark Burhrle is definitely reliable. Jon Garland and especially Danny Wright could be showing signs of consistency. Gary Glover is effective early on but cannot provide innings as a starter. That leaves Ritchie who has clearly become the weakest link in the rotation? Do we move Todd to the bullpen and move Rocky Biddle or Matt Ginter in there?

Well, all I can say right now is that the Todd Ritchie for Kip Wells, Josh Fogg, and Sean Jones trade could prove to be Ken Williams' worst trade is his reign as general manager. Fogg did lose his second straight today, but I like his long term potential much better than Ritchie's.

Meanwhile, we did not need this loss with the Cubs on a roll. We're desperately vying to prevent the Cubs from siphoning off whatever little attention the dumbass media gives us. If the Cubs beat Houston tonight, all we'll hear and see is how the Cubs are contenders and more important than us.

Tomorrow, we face the New York Yankees before a crowd in excess of 30,000. Sure, a number of them will be Yankee fans. And armies of teenage girls will be there donning their JETER 2 shirts to fawn all over their beloved Derek.

I think we have to somehow take two of three. I do not know the pitching matchups off the top of my head, and I'm sure someone will include that in their reply to this thread.

HawkDJ
05-26-2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
:angry: With that wonderful effort today, our Sunday record is now a robust 1-6. Overall, it was quite a good :smile: week as we finally took sole possession of first place yesterday. However, I am not pleased with our effort today. Yet again, we made an unknown rookie pitcher look like a Hall of Famer would our four hits. However, I cannot obviously blame the offense solely for this.
It really is weird we play so bad on Sunday. Just wanted you to know that this is the Detroit pitcher's third year although he may still be considered a rookie.

Todd Ritchie is turning into a bust. In his last three starts coming into today, Ritchie was 0-3 with a 6.88 ERA. In his present state, Ritchie Valens could pitch better! Notice the lack teal in that last sentence. It would be easy to say move Ritchie out of the rotation, but we just may be too thin to do that. Mark Burhrle is definitely reliable. Jon Garland and especially Danny Wright could be showing signs of consistency. Gary Glover is effective early on but cannot provide innings as a starter. That leaves Ritchie who has clearly become the weakest link in the rotation? Do we move Todd to the bullpen and move Rocky Biddle or Matt Ginter in there?

I can't believe we are talking about moving him into the bullpen. At the begining of the year he was our most consisitent pitcher. Now he is in a little slump but he is a veteran, give him a chance.

Meanwhile, we did not need this loss with the Cubs on a roll. We're desperately vying to prevent the Cubs from siphoning off whatever little attention the dumbass media gives us. If the Cubs beat Houston tonight, all we'll hear and see is how the Cubs are contenders and more important than us.

How about just caring about the Sox and the Twins instead of the Cubs. What they do has nothing to do with how we do, and we all know we are better even if Cubs fans don't think so.

I think we have to somehow take two of three. I do not know the pitching matchups off the top of my head, and I'm sure someone will include that in their reply to this thread.
Mike Thurman (NR) vs. Danny Wright (5-4, 5.27 ERA)
Ted Lilly (1-4, 1.93 ERA) vs. Jon Garland (5-3, 5.10 ERA)
Roger Clemens (7-2, 3.79 ERA) vs. Mark Buehrle (8-3, 2.91 ERA)

Viva Magglio
05-26-2002, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
How about just caring about the Sox and the Twins instead of the Cubs. What they do has nothing to do with how we do, and we all know we are better even if Cubs fans don't think so.

That's a good point. But why do you have the brain signature, then?

HawkDJ
05-26-2002, 07:11 PM

That's a good point. But why do you have the brain signature, then?

Nothing bad about hating the Cubs, but I'm not going to worry about how they do. Its just stupid, no offense, to worry about them winning more than the Twins.

RedPinStripes
05-26-2002, 07:31 PM
:

That leaves Ritchie who has clearly become the weakest link in the rotation? Do we move Todd to the bullpen and move Rocky Biddle or Matt Ginter in there?

You're not serious are you?

doublem23
05-26-2002, 07:48 PM
I do not know the pitching matchups off the top of my head, and I'm sure someone will include that in their reply to this thread.

Check out the Totally Biased Series Update (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=12).

doublem23
05-26-2002, 07:49 PM
Here we go again. There's nothing much to whine and bitch about, so I guess we have to make it up ourselves...

*shakes head*

Bisco Stu
05-26-2002, 07:55 PM
Why can't we win on Sundays?

Well, the Cubs are America's team.

We must be Satan's team.

Check our record on Friday afternoons...

RedPinStripes
05-26-2002, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Bisco Stu
Why can't we win on Sundays?

Well, the Cubs are America's team.

We must be Satan's team.

Check our record on Friday afternoons...

Satan's team? I like that!

doublem23
05-26-2002, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Satan's team? I like that!

LOL! There's a nifty nickname! :D:

Jerry_Manuel
05-26-2002, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Here we go again. There's nothing much to whine and bitch about, so I guess we have to make it up ourselves...

*shakes head*

Over the years, I've come to accept a few things with the Sox.

1. They struggle vs pitchers in their debut
2. The team struggles in the day

Once you accept these simple facts, you to can be as mellow as yours truly.

doublem23
05-26-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Over the years, I've come to accept a few things with the Sox.

1. They struggle vs pitchers in their debut
2. The team struggles in the day

Once you accept these simple facts, you to can be as mellow as yours truly.

Yeah... I really don't have a problem with this team as long as they keep winning more games than they lose. Why can't we win on Sundays? Who cares! We're 28-22!

RedPinStripes
05-26-2002, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

Yeah... I really don't have a problem with this team as long as they keep winning more games than they lose. Why can't we win on Sundays? Who cares! We're 28-22!

As long as the Sox win more then the Twins do, it's up to them in the playoffs. It's nice to not have to worry about 3 teams attempting to take the division.

Garrison
05-26-2002, 08:12 PM
I am looking forward to Buehrle vs. Clemens. That is going to be a great pitching matchup. I think Ritchie has definately hit a slump. He has lost three in a row. The first was unlucky, but the last two have been really bad performances. He started the season as our most consistent starter and I think he'll regain his form and be all right. If we're willing to ride out Jon Garland's inconsistencies, then we need to give Todd a chance to fix things before we scream "the sky is falling" and mix up the rotation. By pushing Ritchie back to a #3 spot and splitting up the similar pitching styles of Garland and Glover I think makes our rotation a little more formidable. He's had a bad run of late but Todd will be all right before long. I just hope our 4-5 guys vs. the Yanks can do all right. Another big opportunity to prove themselves.

Procol Harum
05-26-2002, 10:56 PM
:angry: With that wonderful effort today, our Sunday record is now a robust 1-6. Yet again, we made an unknown rookie pitcher look like a Hall of Famer would our four hits.

We were invited to a neighbors' today for a cookout so I didn't get to see any of the game. But I wasn't surprised in the least--when I got home and heard the score: Sunday day game + facing an unheralded rookie pitcher = K.O.D. for the Sox. Good news is we won the series. Here's hopin' for another 2 of 3 against the stinkin' Yankees.