PDA

View Full Version : A-Rod out 2+ months?

cws05champ
03-05-2009, 10:11 AM
I was listening to XM radio and they said ESPN Deportes has reported that A-Rod will have Hip surgury and be out the first two months of the season. I don't have a link yet....not sure if this is confirmed.

Marqhead
03-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Confirmed on ESPN.

Surgery on his hip to remove a cyst.

cws05champ
03-05-2009, 10:18 AM
Looks like he'll have surgery immediately and rehab is 10 weeks.

EDIT: Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3954457

ChiSoxFan81
03-05-2009, 10:25 AM
I wonder if his doctor will prescribe steroids for "recovery"

doublem23
03-05-2009, 10:26 AM
http://deadspin.com/5164875/alex-rodriguez-needs-surgery-out-until-may

03-05-2009, 10:29 AM
That is a shame!

hi im skot
03-05-2009, 10:35 AM
Yesterday, one of the blowhards back in the Quad Cities was comparing A-Rod's hip problems to Bo Jackson's, blaming steroids for both injuries. It really pissed me off because A) there's no proof that Jackson took steroids, and B) Rodriguez has been healthy the majority of career, especially when he was using PEDs.

This idiot's biggest error is that this hip surgery seems to have absolutely nothing to do with PED usage. I guess there's a reason this dude is stuck in Moline, IL covering sports.

/end rant

voodoochile
03-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Yesterday, one of the blowhards back in the Quad Cities was comparing A-Rod's hip problems to Bo Jackson's, blaming steroids for both injuries. It really pissed me off because A) there's no proof that Jackson took steroids, and B) Rodriguez has been healthy the majority of career, especially when he was using PEDs.

This idiot's biggest error is that this hip surgery seems to have absolutely nothing to do with PED usage. I guess there's a reason this dude is stuck in Moline, IL covering sports.

/end rant

Bo lost blood supply to his hip after a rough tackle in the NFL. Some Bengal player knocked Bo out of bounds using his head and shoulder and all the impact came on the wrong part of the hip. There were microfractures and everything and the hip was going to die due to lack of blood flow. It's pretty much what doctors expected to happen to Magglio's knee.

Even if Bo did take steroids, it's not even close to the same situation.

LoveYourSuit
03-05-2009, 11:06 AM
I never though a cyst would be so serious to put someone on the shelf for 10 weeks.

How big is the thing, the size of a watermelon?

hi im skot
03-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Bo lost blood supply to his hip after a rough tackle in the NFL. Some Bengal player knocked Bo out of bounds using his head and shoulder and all the impact came on the wrong part of the hip. There were microfractures and everything and the hip was going to die due to lack of blood flow. It's pretty much what doctors expected to happen to Magglio's knee.

Even if Bo did take steroids, it's not even close to the same situation.

Yeah, I remember the Jackson injury happening, but I wasn't familiar with those details.

Like I said, the guy's a complete blowhard and has very little business being a sports "reporter".

spiffie
03-05-2009, 11:10 AM
See? The World Baseball Classic injured another superstar! Maybe if Selig would get his head out of his ass this sort of thing wouldn't happen.

Huh?

Oh, I'm sorry, I just assumed all injuries and medical issues this March were the fault of the WBC.

ode to veeck
03-05-2009, 11:53 AM
busted needle?

Tekijawa
03-05-2009, 12:51 PM
How big is the thing, the size of a watermelon?
Or worse yet the size of his head!

kaufsox
03-05-2009, 01:01 PM
See? The World Baseball Classic injured another superstar! Maybe if Selig would get his head out of his ass this sort of thing wouldn't happen.

Huh?

Oh, I'm sorry, I just assumed all injuries and medical issues this March were the fault of the WBC.

:rolling:

Nellie_Fox
03-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Bo lost blood supply to his hip after a rough tackle in the NFL. Some Bengal player knocked Bo out of bounds using his head and shoulder and all the impact came on the wrong part of the hip. There were microfractures and everything and the hip was going to die due to lack of blood flow.

Yeah, I remember the Jackson injury happening, but I wasn't familiar with those details.That's not the way I remember it. I remember that the tackler was holding on to his leg, and Bo, trying to pull loose, actually pulled his own hip out of its socket (subluxation) causing a tearing of the blood supply to the head of the femur, causing the bone death.

voodoochile
03-05-2009, 02:13 PM
That's not the way I remember it. I remember that the tackler was holding on to his leg, and Bo, trying to pull loose, actually pulled his own hip out of its socket (subluxation) causing a tearing of the blood supply to the head of the femur, causing the bone death.

Okay, maybe I'm wrong about the hit that caused the injury, I just remember them showing this one hit over and over again and am going off of memory.

Nellie_Fox
03-05-2009, 02:14 PM

Huh?

Oh, I'm sorry, I just assumed all injuries and medical issues this March were the fault of the WBC.This is why internet discussions are so frustrating. People construct straw man arguments to belittle the other side.

NOBODY said that ALL injuries in the spring come from WBC. NOBODY. What was said was that subjecting your players to any injury in something as meaningless as the WBC, when you are paying them millions, is a stupid risk, and that the risk of injury by starting actual competition before they've had any time to get in playing shape is greater.

But don't let what people actually said get in the way of a good snark.

EndemicSox
03-05-2009, 02:34 PM
This is why internet discussions are so frustrating. People construct straw man arguments to belittle the other side.

NOBODY said that ALL injuries in the spring come from WBC. NOBODY. What was said was that subjecting your players to any injury in something as meaningless as the WBC, when you are paying them millions, is a stupid risk, and that the risk of injury by starting actual competition before they've had any time to get in playing shape is greater.

Well, spring training games have lsss "meaning", imo, than the WBC, at least to every country but our own, apparently. As long as the owner signing the checks supports the players decision, I think we should as well. It is, simply a game...

getonbckthr
03-05-2009, 02:37 PM
BBTN just said he has a torn labrum in his hip.

EndemicSox
03-05-2009, 02:38 PM
This is why internet discussions are so frustrating. People construct straw man arguments to belittle the other side.

Well, spring training games have lsss "meaning", imo, than the WBC, at least to every country but our own, apparently. If you think this is false, turn on ESPN right now and see for yourself. The passion of the fans/players of Japanese baseball puts our to shame.

As long as the owner signing the checks supports the players decision, I think we should as well. It is, simply a game...

Money has tainted this view, for too many people...it's sickening.

Nellie_Fox
03-05-2009, 02:40 PM
Well, spring training games have lsss "meaning", imo, than the WBC, at least to every country but our own, apparently.And the veteran players treat the spring training games as such, easing into things. They are not playing all out at the time the WBC would be going on.

As long as the owner signing the checks supports the players decision, I think we should as well. It is, simply a game...And a lot of the owners don't, but that has nothing to do with my opinion. I want Sox players getting ready for the season, working with their Sox teammates, not off in some goofy made up series.

WizardsofOzzie
03-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Now they are debating if he's having surgery on ESPN. A-Rod's brother is saying he's having the surgery, and Cashman is saying that they are looking into rest & treatment before surgery. Yankess say he'll be out 4 months if he undergoes the surgery.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3954457

DumpJerry
03-05-2009, 04:56 PM
Now they are debating if he's having surgery on ESPN. A-Rod's brother is saying he's having the surgery, and Cashman is saying that they are looking into rest & treatment before surgery. Yankess say he'll be out 4 months if he undergoes the surgery.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3954457
I vote for rest and then surgery. Swisher can play Third for them while he recovers.

WizardsofOzzie
03-05-2009, 05:09 PM
I vote for rest and then surgery. Swisher can play Third for them while he recovers.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Texeria have experience at 3rd too?

getonbckthr
03-05-2009, 05:11 PM
Too bad Crede didn't wait a week or so.

Rdy2PlayBall
03-05-2009, 06:24 PM
Maybe this is a cover up for a 10 week ban for the steroids? :rolleyes:

Fenway
03-05-2009, 06:50 PM
Dan Shaugnessey pours it on

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2009/03/05/hip_trouble_and_lip_trouble/

Domeshot17
03-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Shaugnessey is a turd, totally useless sports writer.

That said, this all seems a little fishy. AROD meets with the mlb, then a condition he has been suffering from for years comes up that no one knew about it, and is going to put him out, o, about 50 games. I don't know, but this could very will be a "Jordan Retirement to Baseball" type year.

pdr
03-05-2009, 10:11 PM
BBTN just said he has a torn labrum in his hip.

Let me get this straight. Alex Rodriguez has a Hal Vickery?

spiffie
03-06-2009, 11:34 AM
And the veteran players treat the spring training games as such, easing into things. They are not playing all out at the time the WBC would be going on.

I don't know, Dye damn near put himself on the shelf the very first game in spring training going all-out for a fly ball in RF. There may be certain aspects where they dial it down, but most of the game is played at full speed, if only because the movements are so instinctive and deeply encoded in their muscle memory.

doublem23
03-06-2009, 12:02 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Texeria have experience at 3rd too?

15 games in his rookie season.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/t/teixema01.shtml

TDog
03-06-2009, 12:12 PM
And the veteran players treat the spring training games as such, easing into things. They are not playing all out at the time the WBC would be going on. ...

I saw a lot of spring training games in the 1980s and 1990s. I did see a lot of players easing into shape, but I also saw players going all out to win or keep jobs. Veterans who needed to have a good spring to keep their jobs came into camp in better shape, as did those players after their jobs. I used to see people win jobs in spring training in large part because they were better prepared for spring training -- only to run into problems with the real competition after the team breaks camp. I haven't seen that as much in recent years.

My guess is that if a player has agreed to play in the WBC, he isn't one of those players who needs the spring to ease back into baseball. If I were a professional baseball player and agree to play in the WBC, I would make sure I was in playing shape.

WhiteSox1989
03-08-2009, 07:15 PM
He's out until May. I normally don't find humor in players missing even a couple games due to an injury, but this is a little bit funny.