PDA

View Full Version : The WBC thread

Pages : [1] 2

guillensdisciple
03-05-2009, 04:54 AM
I am probably the only one watching this right now, but China doesn't look to be in a good situation.

Like Darvish, he looks like he will get a lot of money from either the Red Sox or the Yankees very very soon.

China is at a disadvantage; the commentators said that China has just opened the country to Baseball. For beginners, not a bad showing against the former champions.

cbone
03-05-2009, 05:48 AM
These fans are into it! China's got problems.

guillensdisciple
03-05-2009, 11:42 AM
I am watching it from the fifth right now. China just looks small, not in size, but in game.

Everything is less, and everything is slower.

Love how one of the commentators called the left handed pitcher the "little unit".

EndemicSox
03-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Can anyone post a link to full schedule of games? Friggin dial up connection is killing me!

I want Kenny Williams and the merry band of owners to be all over Darvish, although if he has the other-worldly talent that I've been hearing about, I'm expecting the Angels/Yanks/RedSox/etc to throw $200 million at him. Nevertheless, I hope to see him on the mound come the semi-finals/finals and see how handles some of the world's best hitters in a pressure situation.

EDIT: Woot! Boss has ESPN on in his office...do these games count? Fans are loud...

EDIT2: Darvish looks good, but I'm going to wait till he faces better competition than China. However, Darvish and his handlers have to be happy that he gets to pad his numbers versus China.

EDIT3: China isn't as horrible as I thought they would be. If they have some good baseball minds/coaches in place in the elite youth leagues, they should be competing with the big boys in a decade or two.

EDIT4: The atmosphere/fans are beyond excellent. It's like watching Carolina/Duke or IU/UI...they really love baseball in Japan. Very good sign for the WBC...Japan up 3-0 on HR...Darvish will probably be done after the next inning

EuroSox35
03-05-2009, 03:05 PM
This is cool, seeing the foreign talent is one of the reasons I like the tournament. I wanted to catch some of it live, but couldn't stay up (on a much better sleep schedule now and I didn't want to break it, last time around I watched a lot of em live), So I'm catching the replay right now, Even better though is that the game is in HD, wasn't expecting that.

Yep, the fans are definitely into it, interesting story about the coach too, if I heard it correctly, they took one of the top team coaches away from his team since they care about this/want to win this so bad.

oeo
03-05-2009, 04:03 PM
This is cool, seeing the foreign talent is one of the reasons I like the tournament. I wanted to catch some of it live, but couldn't stay up (on a much better sleep schedule now and I didn't want to break it, last time around I watched a lot of em live), So I'm catching the replay right now, Even better though is that the game is in HD, wasn't expecting that.

Yep, the fans are definitely into it, interesting story about the coach too, if I heard it correctly, they took one of the top team coaches away from his team since they care about this/want to win this so bad.

If only Americans gave a ****...

guillensdisciple
03-05-2009, 04:09 PM
If only Americans gave a ****...

I agree. Just like Soccer, people here don't care about this.

EndemicSox
03-05-2009, 04:37 PM
Don't be so quick to say that...if the Americans make the finals, expect better television ratings than the World Series, which isn't saying much nowadays, but the popularity of baseball needs a WBC like bump, and I think Selig will get just that. I know many hate the guy, but I think this will be one of the few good things to come from his reign of terror.

This is simply my opinion, but the USA liking or not liking the WBC is not going to break the event. The atmosphere I saw in the China/Japan game was the best I've ever seen in my years of watching the game. Piped in noice was non-existent and well... not needed, just hardcore fans chanting/going crazy/loving the best game in the world. This is why I watched/played the game as a kid/in high-school/college/etc...simply perfect. I'll stop pimping the event now, as I'm not going to change anyone's opinion, but you are missing out if you simply dismiss this event as gimmick. Good day y'all....

areilly
03-05-2009, 05:33 PM
This'll be a lot easier to keep up with once the other pools kick off competition. Stupid 12-hour time differential, always interfering with my fun.

EuroSox35
03-05-2009, 07:49 PM
I don't get why they only replayed the game at 1 pm, I mean, we even have MLB Network now, but they're showing some spring training show where everyone can see the Phillies stretching and are showing the 06 WBC highlights later :scratch:

rdivaldi
03-05-2009, 10:30 PM
I don't get why they only replayed the game at 1 pm, I mean, we even have MLB Network now, but they're showing some spring training show where everyone can see the Phillies stretching and are showing the 06 WBC highlights later :scratch:

What does that tell you about what is more important to the media and fans?

DSpivack
03-05-2009, 10:39 PM

Is there some rights issue between ESPN and MLB Network in terms of showing the games?

guillensdisciple
03-06-2009, 02:20 AM
Is there some rights issue between ESPN and MLB Network in terms of showing the games?

I would assume so.

I can't wait to see the first few innings of the game this morning.

For some reason I enjoy the concept of the WBC.

TomC727
03-06-2009, 03:44 AM
I am watching it now myself. I like the WBC idea, also. I wish more U.S. players would participate, particularly SP, but it's ok.

guillensdisciple
03-06-2009, 04:04 AM
That was a bomb!!!!! 6-0 in the first inning. I am actually excited to see the China vs. Chinese Taipei match. Should be a match-up of two lower but rising teams.

Korea vs. Japan should be a great match as well, but Korea has some monsters in that middle.

I wonder if these guys would be as good in the bigs or if the level of competition completely different. I would assume it's probably triple A level over there, but still, these guys look like they can mash.

guillensdisciple
03-06-2009, 05:01 AM
The Korean team plays some fluid baseball. They are my pick to come out on top of that bracket.

whitesox901
03-06-2009, 05:15 AM
The Korean team plays some fluid baseball. They are my pick to come out on top of that bracket.

agreed

EnglishChiSox
03-06-2009, 05:20 AM
CT are not up to much though, did you see that pick off? The pitcher was just standing there waiting for him to take a big enough lead.

guillensdisciple
03-06-2009, 01:14 PM
CT are not up to much though, did you see that pick off? The pitcher was just standing there waiting for him to take a big enough lead.

That is why I am so excited to see the Chinese Taipei vs. China match-up. They are both weak, but I want to see if China can make any progress in the WBC.

EuroSox35
03-06-2009, 03:34 PM
I agree with that, I want to see that matchup for the same reasons. And of course Japan/Korea will be two stronger sides going at it. Smaller crowd today for this Korea game, but they sure are loud. Reminds me of a tamer soccer atmosphere. Hmm, the Tapei pitcher was with the Sox in single A last year, got the first outs easily but then gave up some runs.

I agree. Just like Soccer, people here don't care about this.

Just different cultures I guess. Abroad, where soccer is more popular (btw, more people here like it then you think), there's alot placed on country pride in sports, both with the players and the fans. It is understood there's a difference between club and country even though the club is what pays the players, and most players accept that call up with pride, even though a lot of national teams will abuse the players much more then something like this competition, even if some meaningless friendly.Then again, people here get riled up for lacrosse or swimming in the Olympics, go figure, or still suport the Olympics when it's kicked baseball to the curb or doesn't have major leaguers. This tournament has our allstars, MVPs and CyYoung winners, etc it's too bad imo that the US can't have a better showing for our 'past time'

What does that tell you about what is more important to the media and fans?

Eh, I'm up late all the time, ESPN is just dumb with its replays. Some times it doesn't show good games, but will show a NBA game from Sunday days later at 2 am. They have multiple networks to show these type of things but have poker replays late at night.

I don't see why people wouldn't want to see it. A ton of people here were all happy MLB Network showed the Carribean World Series, I don't see why they wouldn't want to see some top Japanese talent that might be in MLB soon. Especially with ESPN showing it in HD (looked great btw), they don't even show most of the Champions League games here in HD. Btw, speaking of Champions League, another example of ESPN at work. They own the soccer Champions League in the US which gets very good ratings. Arguably the best matchup of the round next week, Manchester United-Inter, wasn't even scheduled on ESPN next week (because of a WBC game), until they got a massive flood of email complaints, and they've now added it to ESPN Classic live.

03-06-2009, 10:23 PM

agreed

Seriously you think Korea will come out on top of Japan? I don't think so.

I'm hoping Japan wins that bracket so I can see them next Sunday in San Diego for the game I have tickets for.

guillensdisciple
03-07-2009, 02:30 AM
Seriously you think Korea will come out on top of Japan? I don't think so.

I'm hoping Japan wins that bracket so I can see them next Sunday in San Diego for the game I have tickets for.

Unless you are blind, I think both you and I will agree that Korea has either a legitimate chance or a great chance to win this bracket.

guillensdisciple
03-07-2009, 04:46 AM
This game is intense. I wish baseball atmospheres were like this regularly. Makes it feel like a European soccer match.

getonbckthr
03-07-2009, 04:58 AM
Didnt korea take gold in the olympics?

guillensdisciple
03-07-2009, 05:01 AM
Unless you are blind, I think both you and I will agree that Korea has either a legitimate chance or a great chance to win this bracket.

So far dumbass of the night goes to me.

Japan 8-2. Wow.

HebrewHammer
03-07-2009, 05:36 AM

Japan 8-2. Wow.

Kim Kwang-hyeon was absolutely awful. Everything was up and everything was hit hard.

awesomefan
03-07-2009, 09:57 AM
USA vs. Canada is on ESPN at 1pm today 03/07/09

Later today is Italy vs. Venezuela at 7pm..only on MLBN...which I don't have

Netherlands vs. Dominican Republic on ESPN2 today also at 10am

Panama vs. Puerto Rico on ESPN at 4pm today too

All times are Central times:cool:

skobabe8
03-07-2009, 10:09 AM
Pardon me sir, but are you talking baseball?

03-07-2009, 10:27 AM

Japan 8-2. Wow.

I did not need the insult comment but that is fine. Where did I say they have no shot? I just said I think Japan is the team to beat.

Japan 14
Korea 2

I rest my case.

guillensdisciple
03-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Kim Kwang-hyeon was absolutely awful. Everything was up and everything was hit hard.

The only guy that was close to good was the guy that came up after him from the bullpen. Everyone else for Korea was pretty bad. I am very disappointed, but I can expect a decent match-up in the night capper.

I would bet the odds on an upset of the century, but I am not good with predictions (as seen above).

03-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Pardon me sir, but are you talking baseball?

Let's merge this into the WBC thread.

Netherlands up 3-0 surprisingly.

guillensdisciple
03-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Let's merge this into the WBC thread.

Netherlands up 3-0 surprisingly.

If Dominican Republic loses this one, that would be the worst way to begin their quest to win the classic. They will be walking a very thin line- don't they have Venezuela or Cuba in their bracket?

03-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Alright. I have Round 2, Game One tickets at Petco in San Diego next Sunday. What are my chances of lucking out into a Yu Darvish start?? Assuming Japan wins the bracket they are in, I will get Japan and the runner up from the Mexico/Cuba bracket.

guillensdisciple
03-07-2009, 10:39 AM
I did not need the insult comment but that is fine. Where did I say they have no shot? I just said I think Japan is the team to beat.

Japan 14
Korea 2

I rest my case.

Sorry about that man, but you had me stooped. I was just trying to prove the point that Korea had a legitimate chance to win, but I forget how different the Japanese WBC roster is from their olympic roster.

Alright. I have Round 2, Game One tickets at Petco in San Diego next Sunday. What are my chances of lucking out into a Yu Darvish start?? Assuming Japan wins the bracket they are in, I will get Japan and the runner up from the Mexico/Cuba bracket.

I would want the Japan vs. Cuba start- that should be a great rematch of the past championship game as well as two very proud baseball countries going at it. I don't like the fact that it will be in a neutral site, because it won't have the same feel that the Japan vs. Korea game had last night, but I guess the advantage would be too great if advantages like that were given.

I would expect that the next game Japan does play would have Darvish starting so you have a really good chance of watching a future (Yankee, Red Sock, or Dodger) play before your eyes.

guillensdisciple
03-07-2009, 10:45 AM
In terms of the Dominican losing, I think the Netherlands should get a dose of reality considering the fact that all of the runs they scored were off of hits that didn't leave the infield. I would consider calling them "cheap runs" but bloopers are much more irritating to watch.

03-07-2009, 10:48 AM
I would expect that the next game Japan does play would have Darvish starting so you have a really good chance of watching a future (Yankee, Red Sock, or Dodger) play before your eyes.

They started Matsuzaka yesterday but still have the final game for that round to go. I'm really hoping they go with a 3rd SP for their third game and use Darvish again for game 1 in San Diego.

I've been following Darvish for a couple years now.

EndemicSox
03-07-2009, 10:50 AM
This is shocking....I know the Netherlands has professional league, but wow...

03-07-2009, 10:52 AM
This is shocking....I know the Netherlands has professional league, but wow...

I would still be willing to bet they need to score more than 4 runs to win this game.

EnglishChiSox
03-07-2009, 11:14 AM
In terms of the Dominican losing, I think the Netherlands should get a dose of reality considering the fact that all of the runs they scored were off of hits that didn't leave the infield. I would consider calling them "cheap runs" but bloopers are much more irritating to watch.

Who should get a dose of reality? The players? Aren't they just playing the game? It's not their fault that The DR couldn't throw the ball to first.

PKalltheway
03-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Oh my goodness, someone could have gotten hurt in that collision. Won't somebody please think of the children!!!

PKalltheway
03-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Tejada homers, The Dominican is on the board, 3-1.

guillensdisciple
03-07-2009, 11:27 AM
They started Matsuzaka yesterday but still have the final game for that round to go. I'm really hoping they go with a 3rd SP for their third game and use Darvish again for game 1 in San Diego.

I've been following Darvish for a couple years now.

I am really confused than. Why is the winner of the match between Korea and China playing against Japan for the final game. That makes no sense and bears no importance. It's not like Japan can get kicked out of the bracket or do they do it for the seeding?

03-07-2009, 11:32 AM
I am really confused than. Why is the winner of the match between Korea and China playing against Japan for the final game. That makes no sense and bears no importance. It's not like Japan can get kicked out of the bracket or do they do it for the seeding?

I don't get the importance either. It does not seem like it would make any difference for the seeding. If Japan loses to the Korea/China winner would the Korea/China winner then be the winner of that bracket?

PKalltheway
03-07-2009, 11:45 AM
Netherlands in trouble. Bases loaded, nobody out.

PKalltheway
03-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Wow, DP turned by the Netherlands, and they get out with just one run scored. :o:

getonbckthr
03-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Ponson didnt look horrible. Any want Pedro?

chisox616
03-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Wow...is this really happening? Hahaha if the Netherlands win, sheesh, what a huge upset.

getonbckthr
03-07-2009, 01:10 PM
Who is this catcher?

Whappeh
03-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Netherlands. :o:

Apparently most of these guys play in the Netherlands.

guillensdisciple
03-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Who is this catcher?

I don't know but what a cannon!

getonbckthr
03-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Do you believe in miracles?..........

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

guillensdisciple
03-07-2009, 01:14 PM
Huge upset. This could be the shake-up the WBC needs.

U.S losing 1-0 in the first. I wasn't paying attention butwho drove the run in and who scored?

DSpivack
03-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Huge upset. This could be the shake-up the WBC needs.

U.S losing 1-0 in the first. I wasn't paying attention butwho drove the run in and who scored?

Morneau drove in Martin on a ground out, I think.

EndemicSox
03-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Apparently MLB is very popular in the Netherlands. ESPN claimed that the Netherlands has the highest television ratings per household in the world, or something like that...

I've got a buddy who plays in the professional league over there(the lowest level, they do it the way I'd love the MLB to do it, with a relegation system I believe) who is probably sitting in a bar over there with a huge grin on his face at the moment...congrats to the Netherlands. This is why I love the GAME of baseball! To the MLB owners who want this event to fail...go sit on stick. You can have the Diamondbacks versus the Nationals...

Time for the USA to get some breaks...

guillensdisciple
03-07-2009, 01:46 PM
Very nice sac fly 1-1. Perhaps less selfish baseball this time around from the U.S. team?

DSpivack
03-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Joey Votto gives Canada the lead again with a solo shot.

HomeFish
03-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Team USA uniforms look too much like Twins uniforms for me.

Sockinchisox
03-07-2009, 02:21 PM
McCann goes yard, 4-2 USA.

DSpivack
03-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Team USA uniforms look too much like Twins uniforms for me.

Don't really see any resemblance.

Sockinchisox
03-07-2009, 02:27 PM
Thornton in and Ks Votto.

SBSoxFan
03-07-2009, 02:29 PM
Thornton in and Ks his Votto.

7 pitches. 3 up, 3 down. :smile:

guillensdisciple
03-07-2009, 02:30 PM
Thornton shows why he could be one of the best relievers in the majors.

Electric stuff.

chisoxfanatic
03-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Thornton showed some of the nasty stuff we all grew to love last season.

HomeFish
03-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Don't really see any resemblance.

White uniforms, Red numbers on the back, dark hat. They're missing the pinstripes that the Twins have, though.

But its the big red numbers that remind me of the Twins. From the back, our pitchers look like they are Twinkies.

chisoxfanatic
03-07-2009, 02:36 PM
I'd like to know why a "home" game for the USA against Canada is being played IN Canada.

Sockinchisox
03-07-2009, 02:41 PM
I'd like to know why a "home" game for the USA against Canada is being played IN Canada.

Haha, I was thinking the same thing.

getonbckthr
03-07-2009, 02:44 PM

Haha, I was thinking the same thing.
Toronto is simply the host city. In the next 2 rounds the US won't be the home team for every game they play.

Sockinchisox
03-07-2009, 02:53 PM
Dunn goes deep for a 2 run shot, 6-3 USA.

whitesox901
03-07-2009, 03:06 PM
6-4 USA, after the Martin home run

guillensdisciple
03-07-2009, 03:07 PM
This is a very interesting game. Nowhere near the tension that I felt watching the Netherlands vs. Dominican Republic game, but if this game were to get within a run or so, it could be one of the best matches displayed so far.

JGarlandrules20
03-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Aumont kind of looks like Jon Garland.

That was pretty impressive.

DSpivack
03-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Joey Votto double in the gap scores Russell Martin, Canada making things interesting in the 9th, 6-5, runner on 2nd, two outs.

doublem23
03-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Looks like JJ Putz is going to fit right into the Mets' bullpen.

EndemicSox
03-07-2009, 04:00 PM
That place is rocking...come on USA!

doublem23
03-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Suck it, Canada!

DSpivack
03-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Woo hoo, take that, Canada

EndemicSox
03-07-2009, 04:06 PM
6-5 USA

Players giving 110% effort, fans cheering as loud as any playoff game, just good old fashioned baseball in March...lol...

If they can find a way to move to the finals to an extended all-star break, it will be perfect.

Whappeh
03-07-2009, 04:07 PM
Looks like JJ Putz is going to fit right into the Mets' bullpen.

That is what I thought too. :D:

I was waiting for Bay to blast one.

guillensdisciple
03-07-2009, 04:07 PM
That was great, but J.J. Putz made it was closer than it should have been. Also, the guy was a lot closer then the commentators made it out to be in being safe at first base. That run was pivotal. If he was safe, they would have gone to extra innings.

For anyone that doesn't appreciate the WBC the game between D.R./ Netherlands and U.S.A/ Canada is a great reason to love the thing. It's baseball on a larger scale, what is there that you can't love?

Puerto Rico against Panama will be a game of unknowns for me. I just want to see who has a shot at taking out the D.R. after this game.

guillensdisciple
03-07-2009, 04:09 PM
BAHAHAHAHAHA

Javier Vazquez is pitching. Much greater incentive to watch this game.

SBSoxFan
03-07-2009, 04:18 PM
BAHAHAHAHAHA

Javier Vazquez is pitching. Much greater incentive to watch this game.

Wow. Vazquez pitching to Carlos Lee!

guillensdisciple
03-07-2009, 04:22 PM
Wow. Vazquez pitching to Carlos Lee!

Ye, but that's not as funny, I crack up at the idea of Javier Vazquez (I don't know if that can be labeled as an idea).

Wasn't Panama supposed to be another of the World's baseball powers? When I heard they got swept last WBC I was surprised.

DSpivack
03-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Ye, but that's not as funny, I crack up at the idea of Javier Vazquez (I don't know if that can be labeled as an idea).

Wasn't Panama supposed to be another of the World's baseball powers? When I heard they got swept last WBC I was surprised.

I don't think Panama is nearly as deep a team as is Venezuela or the Dominican.

VenturaFan23
03-07-2009, 04:35 PM
Are the Mets even having a spring training? Seems like the entire roster is in the WBC.

rookie
03-07-2009, 04:44 PM
That was great, but J.J. Putz made it was closer than it should have been. Also, the guy was a lot closer then the commentators made it out to be in being safe at first base. That run was pivotal. If he was safe, they would have gone to extra innings.

For anyone that doesn't appreciate the WBC the game between D.R./ Netherlands and U.S.A/ Canada is a great reason to love the thing. It's baseball on a larger scale, what is there that you can't love?

Puerto Rico against Panama will be a game of unknowns for me. I just want to see who has a shot at taking out the D.R. after this game.

I agree. This is the best thing since sliced bread. Watching real baseball in March, prepping you for April. And when you are home sick as a dog because you thought you were too good for a flu shot, it's even better.

C'mon Panama. My ex-best friend is Puerto Rican. Had me shell out tons of dough being maid honor in her flippin wedding only to stop talking to me a few months later. Mariano Rivera's team can lay it on PR as far as I'm concerned. Plus what's with the huge Best Buy ad on the sleeve. Tacky.

chisoxfanatic
03-07-2009, 05:15 PM
C'mon Panama. My ex-best friend is Puerto Rican. Had me shell out tons of dough being maid honor in her flippin wedding only to stop talking to me a few months later. Mariano Rivera's team can lay it on PR as far as I'm concerned. Plus what's with the huge Best Buy ad on the sleeve. Tacky.
Team Canada had a Home Hardware ad on their sleeve as well.

WhiteSox5187
03-07-2009, 05:18 PM
Team Canada had a Home Hardware ad on their sleeve as well.
To quote Paul Lukas over at uniwatch, it's logo creep and it is a very very bad thing.

chisoxfanatic
03-07-2009, 05:38 PM
To quote Paul Lukas over at uniwatch, it's logo creep and it is a very very bad thing.
I'll admit, at least it does get you thinking about the ad. I have to admit I was singing to myself the Home Hardware jingle a couple times when seeing the patch on their sleeves.

HomeFish
03-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Panama is a poor defensive team.

HawkDJ
03-07-2009, 06:34 PM
Who saw Adam Dunn's interview after the game?

"This feels like a playoff atmosphere, even though I've never been to the playoffs."

DSpivack
03-07-2009, 06:43 PM
Who saw Adam Dunn's interview after the game?

"This feels like a playoff atmosphere, even though I've never been to the playoffs."

Yeah, that was funny. He signed with the Nats, so he won't be seeing the playoffs anytime soon.

guillensdisciple
03-07-2009, 07:33 PM
I am hoping Puerto Rico knocks out D.R. right away. D.R is too dangerous to move ahead in the next stages. If they gain momentum and make it into the next round they will probably go a very long way.

Other than that, I am pretty excited to see the China vs. Korea match-up. Perhaps the up and coming Chinese will give the Koreans a run for their money. That would be another huge upset.

SoxGirl4Life
03-07-2009, 08:59 PM
Matt Thornton-7 pitches (6 of them strikes) and 3 outs? Including a strikeout? Wow!

03-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Matt Thornton-7 pitches (6 of them strikes) and 3 outs? Including a strikeout? Wow!

Ha! That almost seems impossible.

PKalltheway
03-07-2009, 09:04 PM

I don't get the importance either. It does not seem like it would make any difference for the seeding. If Japan loses to the Korea/China winner would the Korea/China winner then be the winner of that bracket?
Japan will play the winner of the China/Korea game to determine the winner of the pool. I'm guessing that this will determine seeding for the next round (hypothetically speaking, if Japan wins Pool A, and the US wins Pool B, they will play each other in the first game, if I'm not mistaken...).

Here's a link to the bracket:
http://web.worldbaseballclassic.com/schedule/brackets.jsp

chisoxfanatic
03-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Japan will play the winner of the China/Korea game to determine the winner of the pool. I'm guessing that this will determine seeding for the next round (hypothetically speaking, if Japan wins Pool A, and the US wins Pool B, they will play each other in the first game, if I'm not mistaken...).

Here's a link to the bracket:
http://web.worldbaseballclassic.com/schedule/brackets.jsp
We're not in Pool B, we're in Pool C, so we wouldn't have the possibility of facing Japan until the Semifinal round.

chisoxfanatic
03-07-2009, 09:49 PM
I would be lying if I didn't state that my favorite part of today's game was seeing Matt Thornton force Justin Morneau into flying out.

PKalltheway
03-08-2009, 04:10 AM
We're not in Pool B, we're in Pool C, so we wouldn't have the possibility of facing Japan until the Semifinal round.
Oops. :redface:

guillensdisciple
03-08-2009, 06:14 AM
Korea is making China look like a country that has just picked up it's baseball program.

Oh wait.....

03-08-2009, 11:53 AM
When is the final game for the Pool A bracket? If Korea beats Japan would they advance as the top team in that pool? I am a little confused on how this all works.

DSpivack
03-08-2009, 12:19 PM
When is the final game for the Pool A bracket? If Korea beats Japan would they advance as the top team in that pool? I am a little confused on how this all works.

Tomorrow at 4:30amCT, and yes.

03-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Tomorrow at 4:30amCT, and yes.

That seams pretty stupid. Japan already whipped Korea once. If they go on and lose they would both be 2-1 and 1-1 vs. each other. Seems silly.

DSpivack
03-08-2009, 12:24 PM
That seams pretty stupid. Japan already whipped Korea once. If they go on and lose they would both be 2-1 and 1-1 vs. each other. Seems silly.

Yeah, it's not the best designed bracket. A simple round-robin would have made more sense.

Railsplitter
03-08-2009, 12:25 PM
Okay, it's been 24 hours. Has Sydney Ponson been signed?

03-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Yeah, it's not the best designed bracket. A simple round-robin would have made more sense.

Plus I have tickets for Game One in San Diego which will be Pool A winner and I really want to luck into seeing Japan and even possibily Darvish if I really luck out.

doublem23
03-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Okay, it's been 24 hours. Has Sydney Ponson been signed?

What about Pedro? I know it was just the Netherlands but he looked pretty sharp yesterday. Somebody needs a pitcher.

getonbckthr
03-08-2009, 01:37 PM
What if Japan beats Korea again? Isn't double elimination? Korea would be out correct?

Whappeh
03-08-2009, 01:58 PM
I'd love to see South Africa win this...

but it'll never happen.

and by "this" I mean the game, not the tournament.

DSpivack
03-08-2009, 02:07 PM
What if Japan beats Korea again? Isn't double elimination? Korea would be out correct?

Nope. Group winners and runners-up both go on.

In 2006, under a different style of tournament, Korea beat Japan twice, lost only once in the tournament to finish 6-1 overall, and yet didn't even make the final.

guillensdisciple
03-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Love Cuba, and I hope they repeat this year. Is there a way to get this stupid MLB network on Dish network or am I destined to miss this side of the bracket?

getonbckthr
03-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Love Cuba, and I hope they repeat this year. Is there a way to get this stupid MLB network on Dish network or am I destined to miss this side of the bracket?
Repeat what? Japan won it.

doublem23
03-08-2009, 05:19 PM
Is there a way to get this stupid MLB network on Dish network or am I destined to miss this side of the bracket?

Nope, you either got to get DirecTV or cable.

FedEx227
03-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Or MLB.tv to get the WBC games.

DSpivack
03-08-2009, 06:23 PM
Or MLB.tv to get the WBC games.

Most of the games are on ESPN, anyway.

guillensdisciple
03-08-2009, 06:30 PM
Most of the games are on ESPN, anyway.

I know, but I only have two rooting interests and one of them (Cuba) lies in the bracket they show on mlb network. I can watch the U.S. though, so at least I have one team to keep rooting for.

Panama is bad, really really bad.

I don't see how the Netherlands will escape losing to Puerto Rico tonight.

cub killer
03-08-2009, 07:03 PM

No they wouldn't. Japan is currently 2-0 and Korea is 2-1. If Japan wins, it'd be Japan 3-0 and Kor 2-2. If Kor wins, Japan 2-1 Kor 3-1.

Sockinchisox
03-08-2009, 08:04 PM
DeRosa triples in two runs.

2-1 USA.

MarkZ35
03-08-2009, 08:06 PM
I like Derosa. Too bad he's on the Indians now.

Sockinchisox
03-08-2009, 08:52 PM
Bases loaded for USA with nobody out.

MarkZ35
03-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Pretty pathetic hitting so far today by US besides DeRosa and Rollins.

Sockinchisox
03-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Three run triple by Iannetta!

6-3 US!

MarkZ35
03-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Iannetta with a huge knock. Bases clearing double. Finally hitting the ball now.

cwsfannick
03-08-2009, 09:19 PM
55 pitches by the Venezuelan staff in the 6th and counting. WOW, and I think the gratitous Jose Contreras 35 pitch innings are bad.

Youk is grinding.

SoxGirl4Life
03-08-2009, 09:23 PM
55 pitches by the Venezuelan staff in the 6th and counting. WOW, and I think the gratitous Jose Contreras 35 pitch innings are bad.

Youk is grinding.

I'm finding it hard to root for Youkalis. Can't stand his batting stance/game face. Wanna punch it right off of him..

cwsfannick
03-08-2009, 09:39 PM
I'm finding it hard to root for Youkalis. Can't stand his batting stance/game face. Wanna punch it right off of him..

I like Youk. He seems to be a character.

Imagine what Yankees fans feel like. Do you think they feel dirty rooting for him?

oeo
03-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Damn, Adam Dunn can hit some bombs. USA gets one back, 11-5.

getonbckthr
03-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Rollins is a riot!

DSpivack
03-08-2009, 09:49 PM
Damn, Adam Dunn can hit some bombs. USA gets one back, 11-5.

I think I read a stat recently that his HRs, on average, traveled farther than anyone else in MLB last year.

BadBobbyJenks
03-08-2009, 09:59 PM
I think I read a stat recently that his HRs, on average, traveled farther than anyone else in MLB last year.

I believe it. Every homer he hits at Wrigley is onto Sheffield.

getonbckthr
03-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Chipper out with a strained oblique.

oeo
03-08-2009, 10:05 PM

It wouldn't surprise me. It seems like every time he gets a hold of one, it's way out. No cheap homeruns from Dunn.

oeo
03-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Chipper out with a strained oblique.

Probably from all that swinging and missing.

getonbckthr
03-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Australia surprising Mexico. 7-7.

WhiteSox5187
03-08-2009, 10:13 PM
Australia surprising Mexico. 7-7.
That is shocking.

chisoxfanatic
03-08-2009, 10:19 PM
I'm ok with Youk. It's much harder for me to root for Dustin Pedroia, but I am right now.

That was a fun 6th inning to watch! I've kept the game on since.

14-5 USA going to the bottom of the 8th.

EnglishChiSox
03-08-2009, 10:22 PM
I'm ok with Youk. It's much harder for me to root for Dustin Pedroia, but I am right now.

That was a fun 6th inning to watch! I've kept the game on since.

14-5 USA going to the bottom of the 8th.

That The Show ad just makes me hate Pedroia even more.

Australia can hit.... Not going to get anywhere without their best pitchers. Their defence is fairly ordinary also.

SoxGirl4Life
03-08-2009, 11:20 PM
I like Youk. He seems to be a character.

Imagine what Yankees fans feel like. Do you think they feel dirty rooting for him?

If they could bring themselves to do it, they'd have to go to confession tomorrow!

He's quite irritating too... lol

DSpivack
03-08-2009, 11:22 PM
Aussies are on top 14-7... wow.

EDIT: 17-7 now!

guillensdisciple
03-08-2009, 11:41 PM

Good to know that Cuba should have an easy route to the next round. Unless the Australian team has completely over-hauled, I don't see how they can beat the Cuban team.

oeo
03-09-2009, 12:04 AM
If they could bring themselves to do it, they'd have to go to confession tomorrow!

Why? You don't cheer for the player, you cheer for the uniform.

I have no problem with any of the guys, they have USA on their chest.

areilly
03-09-2009, 12:09 AM
Good to know that Cuba should have an easy route to the next round. Unless the Australian team has completely over-hauled, I don't see how they can beat the Cuban team.

Six home runs for Cuba - holy firepower! Actually, this was not a good day for hard-fought, nail-biting, suspenseful games. 14-0? 9-0? I haven't seen enough to decide if there are that many unstoppable juggernauts, or just that many poor teams.

aryzner
03-09-2009, 07:20 AM
I know I'm quite late on this but I got back last night, I was at the USA vs Canada game. Girlfriend and I just thought it would be a fun little (road) trip to take, so we did.

It was more fun than I expected it to be. Canadian fans were quite loud. Toronto's a cool city, I enjoyed myself.

I was the only White Sox fan that I saw walking around. Could have been more, but I didn't see any. Saw lots of Tigers, NYY, Red Sox, Jays fans, and also a decent amount of people wearing Expos gear. Good game to watch, too!

DSpivack
03-09-2009, 07:45 AM
Korea tops Japan 1-0. What a game.

guillensdisciple
03-09-2009, 09:12 AM
South Korea takes the Bracket. This rivalry isn't over, and South Korea is a very dangerous team.

In the Broadcast they said that the Japanese team will probably play Cuba in San Diego. Should be a hell of a re-match.

beasly213
03-09-2009, 09:59 AM
Who else has gotten themselves a little bit of WBC fever?? :redface:

guillensdisciple
03-09-2009, 10:06 AM

This guy!

03-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Dammit I am so mad Korea won. That means I have tickets to see Korea now and it should have been Japan. I've got no interest at all in seeing Korea.

HebrewHammer
03-09-2009, 10:10 AM
South Korea takes the Bracket. This rivalry isn't over, and South Korea is a very dangerous team.

In the Broadcast they said that the Japanese team will probably play Cuba in San Diego. Should be a hell of a re-match.

The Korea/Japan game featured some of the worst baserunning I've seen in a long time.

That being said, the Korean guys played their guts out. I can't wait to see how the seeding is going to work out. It should be a fun day at work tomorrow.

03-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Dammit I am so mad Korea won. That means I have tickets to see Korea now and it should have been Japan. I've got no interest at all in seeing Korea.

Wait, check that. If Korea won then why is Japan listed in game 1 for the Pool 1 bracket? I thought it said before Pool A winner vs. Pool B runner up for game 1 at Petco?

VeeckAsInWreck
03-09-2009, 10:18 AM

I was watching that game last night and went to bed when Australia tied it up, but I woke up this morning and saw that final score. :o:

Mexico's pitchers weren't locating their pitches at all. whenever they threw a strike it was right down the middle and the Aussies didn't miss them.

Otherwise, you can count me in as one who was WBC fever. :cool:

beasly213
03-09-2009, 10:30 AM
I'm still all sorts of confused about how the brackets work for the WBC but who cares I'm enjoying baseball! :bandance::bandance::bandance:

voodoochile
03-09-2009, 11:14 AM

I would if this thing weren't so clearly stacked to get the USA into the second round. So lucky that we get to play Italy and Venezuela instead of the DR and Cuba.

:tool
"Well that's because Italy and Venezuela are so much closer to the US, Voodoo..."

guillensdisciple
03-09-2009, 11:21 AM
I would if this thing weren't so clearly stacked to get the USA into the second round. So lucky that we get to play Italy and Venezuela instead of the DR and Cuba.

:tool
"Well that's because Italy and Venezuela are so much closer to the US, Voodoo..."

In the end the team that is supposed to win will win, and Canada was not a push over.

Americas bracket was solid as Venezuela is seen as one of the better teams in the WBC. It might have not looked like it yesterday, but they do have some power.

Sad
03-09-2009, 11:50 AM

definitely
there have been a few blowouts but some really good games as well

oeo
03-09-2009, 01:22 PM

So your supposed to put all the good teams in one pool, and let the bad teams advance due to bad competition?

Even if this was the case, the event has to build from somewhere. Yeah, the other countries are into it, but I don't think it's going to matter unless American fans get into it and I doubt the average fan wants to go watch a bunch of unknowns from Japan and Cuba.

And I haven't seen Cuba play, but is their pitching even that good? That's Venezuela's problem...other than that, they have a good lineup. Canada is also a pretty good team, but again, lacks pitching depth.

PKalltheway
03-09-2009, 01:30 PM
Count me in as well! :yoohoo:

soltrain21
03-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Japan's helmets are so cool. MLB should design their helmets after this look.

soltrain21
03-09-2009, 02:36 PM
United States has boring baseball fans.

Jerko
03-09-2009, 02:44 PM
Charlie Steiner can't add. About 5 times last night he said that Australia was losing 7-4, and when it was 17-7 in their favor he kept saying that they scored 10 unanswered runs. Come on Charlie, 17-4 = 13. And thank the heavens that Italy is not in the Sox division. Punto AND Catalanotto? We'd never get them out. Other than that, yeah, I've been watching some of the tournament.

EuroSox35
03-09-2009, 03:08 PM
This Japan-Korea game is excellent. Both teams are in, but you've got a packed stadium going nuts. Close game, very tense ABs, even in the 5th.

I've been listening to the MLB channel on XM and a lot of people from Toronto have been calling in who went to the USA-Canada game and people are saying the atmosphere trumped the Toronto World Series games. It looked like a fun game to be at, and I find that kind of hard to believe, but callers are calling and backing it up

EuroSox35
03-09-2009, 03:11 PM
I'm still all sorts of confused about how the brackets work for the WBC but who cares I'm enjoying baseball! :bandance::bandance::bandance:

Basically the team in the pool who goes 2-0 is in to the next round, the team that loses 2 is gone, and the two teams in between battle it out to be the second team that qualifies. Then, those two teams that qualify also play each other to determine the higher seed.

(There's the 2 starting games for the pool, the winners play each other (where the winner of that advances), and the losers play each other (where the loser of that is out and the winner plays the loser of the other game to advance). It sounds kind of confusing, but it makes more sense when you look at the bracket/schedule format on the WBC site or wikipedia

guillensdisciple
03-09-2009, 03:50 PM
United States has boring baseball fans.

Couldn't agree with you more.

chisoxfanatic
03-09-2009, 04:41 PM
I was the only White Sox fan that I saw walking around. Could have been more, but I didn't see any. Saw lots of Tigers, NYY, Red Sox, Jays fans, and also a decent amount of people wearing Expos gear. Good game to watch, too!
It must've been an extra proud moment for you to see Matt Thornton pitch, especially how dominant he pitched! Did you go get his autograph?
I didn't think I would; but, I have.
I've been listening to the MLB channel on XM and a lot of people from Toronto have been calling in who went to the USA-Canada game and people are saying the atmosphere trumped the Toronto World Series games. It looked like a fun game to be at, and I find that kind of hard to believe, but callers are calling and backing it up
It truly seemed intense via my television, and it was great that the right team won.

HomeFish
03-09-2009, 05:44 PM
I actually have been impressed by the Italian team. I am watching them play Canada right now. It feels so weird to be cheering for Nick Punto.

areilly
03-09-2009, 05:52 PM
Charlie Steiner can't add. About 5 times last night he said that Australia was losing 7-4, and when it was 17-7 in their favor he kept saying that they scored 10 unanswered runs.

Maybe Steiner follows the Hawk Harrelson method of inventing your own game and the fifth, sixth and seventh Aussie runs were "pre-answered."

:gulp:

DoItForDanPasqua
03-09-2009, 06:31 PM
I wonder why the Netherlands can draw talent from Aruba and Netherlands Antilles, but Puerto Rico is a separate team from the US. I suppose it's just for competitive fairness.

guillensdisciple
03-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Um, what Channel are these games on right now?

DSpivack
03-09-2009, 06:36 PM
Um, what Channel are these games on right now?

MLB Network. Not sure if the game that isn't on is on MLB.tv, but I assume so.

PKalltheway
03-09-2009, 09:02 PM
The glass slipper finally broke for the Netherlands tonight, as they lose to Puerto Rico 3-1.

Can they put it back together again against the Dominican tomorrow? IMHO, no. I think the Dominican team is chomping at the bit to prove that their loss to the Netherlands was just a fluke.

guillensdisciple
03-09-2009, 09:20 PM
The glass slipper finally broke for the Netherlands tonight, as they lose to Puerto Rico 3-1.

Can they put it back together again against the Dominican tomorrow? IMHO, no. I think the Dominican team is chomping at the bit to prove that their loss to the Netherlands was just a fluke.

If that game is even close I will be shocked. D.R's vengeance should be swift and glorious.

Tragg
03-09-2009, 09:35 PM
Wilson Alvarez looks like a big Ozzie sitting in the dugout.

PKalltheway
03-09-2009, 09:46 PM
:o: Italy eliminates Canada with a 6-2 victory. They will square off against Venezuela tomorrow afternoon in the elimination game. I'm honestly suprised, I thought Canada had a pretty solid team going in. If they were to get eliminated, I thought it would be Venezuela who would do it to them, and not Italy.

PKalltheway
03-09-2009, 09:57 PM
Whoever this Gift Ngoepe is on the South African team, he can fly. I mean, mercy. He. Is. Fast.

chisoxfanatic
03-09-2009, 10:04 PM
:o: Italy eliminates Canada with a 6-2 victory. They will square off against Venezuela tomorrow afternoon in the elimination game. I'm honestly suprised, I thought Canada had a pretty solid team going in. If they were to get eliminated, I thought it would be Venezuela who would do it to them, and not Italy.
Considering both games for Canada were really HOME games, this is amazing.

Grobber33
03-09-2009, 10:21 PM
:o: Italy eliminates Canada with a 6-2 victory.

A former Cub got the win and a one time White Sox reliever earned the save as Italy ousted Canada from the World Baseball Classic 6-2. Dan Sarafini who a decade ago was with the Cubs,started and won for Italy with three innings of two run,four hit ball,and Jason Grilli,now with Detroit,but formerly with the White Sox,earned the save with 3 1/3 innings of one hit ball. :tongue::D:

DSpivack
03-10-2009, 12:33 AM
A former Cub got the win and a one time White Sox reliever earned the save as Italy ousted Canada from the World Baseball Classic 6-2. Dan Sarafini who a decade ago was with the Cubs,started and won for Italy with three innings of two run,four hit ball,and Jason Grilli,now with Detroit,but formerly with the White Sox,earned the save with 3 1/3 innings of one hit ball. :tongue::D:

What, Jason Simontacchi wasn't available?

I'm stunned that Italy beat Canada on their home turf.

EuroSox35
03-10-2009, 01:28 AM
I love how that idiot Sutcliffe had it as a foregone conclusion that it'd be Canada/Venezuela for the last pool spot, oops. Italy isn't that bad, they blew someone out in the last tournament. It is surprising, especially with Canada at home, I wonder if Canada had a letdown after the US game and a smaller crowd this game. Anyways, forza Italia!

Is anyone else annoyed by Sutcliffe? I used to like him, but I think he's going to drive people away. The more you try to get on your soapbox of how good an idea this event is, and how passionate everyone involved feels for the 500th time, the more people get turned off imo, just call the game. He's been pushing the NY/Bos aspect way too much as well, Rollins made a real nice play at SS and he says 'some way you know Jeter would've made that play as well', it's starting to make me gag

HomeFish
03-10-2009, 10:00 AM
In both the Canada/Italy game and the Netherlands/PR game, the announcers were just incessantly talking about how the underdogs should put on the hit and run to gain an advantage over the better team.

Now, I love the hit and run, and if I were a manager I would put it on all the time. But I just find that annoying that they mentioned it so many times.

guillensdisciple
03-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Italy vs. Venezuela playing now. Seems like an interesting match. Venezuela knocked out this early would be huge.

Tragg
03-10-2009, 05:08 PM
I wonder why the Netherlands can draw talent from Aruba and Netherlands Antilles, but Puerto Rico is a separate team from the US. I suppose it's just for competitive fairness.
I thought you could get any player you want. The Italian team is full of Americans with Italian last names, prusumably not good enough to make the American team.

That's what makes this WBC interesting and legitimate. No one can really take it too seriously or get into this inane nationalism stuff.

getonbckthr
03-10-2009, 07:25 PM
The Nederlands can pitch. Now start hitting.

getonbckthr
03-10-2009, 07:59 PM
For those of you who are missing this game you are missing a dandy.

getonbckthr
03-10-2009, 08:17 PM
0-0 bottom 9th Nederlands coming up.

getonbckthr
03-10-2009, 08:23 PM
That could be costly.

HomeFish
03-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Damaso Marte pitching for the Dominican Republic in the 10th.

getonbckthr
03-10-2009, 08:48 PM
****!

I want Mags back
03-10-2009, 09:10 PM
The Oranje strike back!!!

EuroSox35
Mercy!

DirtySox
Just tuned in to see Marmol blow it. :gulp:

chisoxfanatic
03-10-2009, 09:11 PM
Just tuned in to see Marmol blow it. :gulp:
That's so Cub! I'm turning this thing on.

DirtySox
!!!!!!!!!!!

Whappeh
This is possibly the best baseball game I've ever watched.

Sockinchisox
Unreal!

What a game!

Martinigirl
This is a fantastic game

Quick question: When did Marmol become "one of the greatest closers in the game"???

DirtySox
03-10-2009, 09:12 PM
I think Lou just gave the closer job to Gregg.

getonbckthr
03-10-2009, 09:13 PM
I cant believe they didnt walk the bases loaded.

Whappeh
03-10-2009, 09:16 PM
What?!

What?!

What?!

brb, calling Vegas. 1,000,000,000 on the Royals to win the World Series.

EuroSox35
WOOOOWWWWWw

DirtySox
Wow!

Martinigirl
03-10-2009, 09:17 PM
That was great!

Jerko
03-10-2009, 09:17 PM
Must suck to give up 1 earned run in 3 games and be eliminated.

getonbckthr
03-10-2009, 09:19 PM
Un****ingbelieveable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Jerko
03-10-2009, 09:21 PM
C'mon get this next game goin now, I'm hooked. :happyguy:

HomeFish
03-10-2009, 09:21 PM
And the only reason the DR scored that run was because of a botched outfield play. Unreal.

BadBobbyJenks
03-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Did a team whose best player is Sidney Ponson really just eliminate the Dominican Republic?

chisoxfanatic
03-10-2009, 09:23 PM
This is possibly the best baseball game I've ever watched.
I seem to recall a certain baseball game played on the 26th of October in the year 2005 that would top this. :smile:

I'm glad I turned this on when I did. The Netherlands won TWICE against the Domenican Republic!

So, we're all set with our next pool:

United States
Puerto Rico
The Netherlands
Venezuela

DoItForDanPasqua
03-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Wow. I'm completely hooked after that game.

Whappeh
03-10-2009, 09:25 PM
I seem to recall a certain baseball game played on the 26th of October in the year 2005 that would top this. :smile:

I'm glad I turned this on when I did. The Netherlands won TWICE against the Domenican Republic!

So, we're all set with our next pool:

United States
Puerto Rico
The Netherlands
Venezuela

Well, yes... but that game was between professionals.

This Netherlands team is a team of AA players at best, and they took out what could easily be an all star team. If this is about getting baseball to become bigger in countries where its not, I'd expect that this would gather some attention around the world.

ohthosechisox
03-10-2009, 09:25 PM
What a game! What a finish!

getonbckthr
03-10-2009, 09:26 PM
They will be a threat in the next pool as well. Their pitching is very very good. They damn near knocked off Puerto Rico last night losing 3-1 where PR scored 3 times in the 8th.

WhiteSox5187
03-10-2009, 09:28 PM
WOW! This is why baseball is such a great game!

DirtySox
03-10-2009, 09:28 PM
So who is watching the Cuba game just to scout for future White Sox talent?

Whappeh
03-10-2009, 09:30 PM
So who is watching the Cuba game just to scout for future White Sox talent?
:D: they can't defect until they get to the states.

DoItForDanPasqua
03-10-2009, 09:31 PM
They will be a threat in the next pool as well. Their pitching is very very good. They damn near knocked off Puerto Rico last night losing 3-1 where PR scored 3 times in the 8th.

I think that their offense is suspect though. The Dominican Republic played very sloppy defense. They probably won't get that kind of help in the next round.

SoxGirl4Life
03-10-2009, 09:32 PM
I just saw the highlights on ESPN but I had the sound down.. was that Marmol?

DirtySox
03-10-2009, 09:33 PM
Yessum. Marmol with the blown save and the L.

SoxGirl4Life
03-10-2009, 09:34 PM
Yessum. Marmol with the blown save and the L.

ouch..

there are just so many things I could say.. but alas... I'll keep them to myself :cool:

BadBobbyJenks
03-10-2009, 09:39 PM
Wow what a sick play there.

03-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Anyone see the play Cuba just turned? Wow. Now we know where Alexei gets it from.

SoxGirl4Life
03-10-2009, 09:43 PM
I hate dish network. Are these games on mlb.tv?

EnglishChiSox
03-10-2009, 09:43 PM
ouch..

there are just so many things I could say.. but alas... I'll keep them to myself :cool:

Who needs words, http://i42.tinypic.com/syux53.jpg will suffice.

Stunning win for The Dutch, outstanding pitching, perhaps the lack of pressure as they've already done more than expected helped. Reminds very much of Ireland's CWC run of 2007, they had some great bowling in that tournament that just kept them in it and then they knocked off one of the big teams in Pakistan to get through to the Round 2 Equivalent of the WBC, the super 8's.

SoxGirl4Life
03-10-2009, 09:48 PM
Who needs words, http://i42.tinypic.com/syux53.jpg will suffice.

Stunning win for The Dutch, outstanding pitching, perhaps the lack of pressure as they've already done more than expected helped. Reminds very much of Ireland's CWC run of 2007, they had some great bowling in that tournament that just kept them in it and then they knocked off one of the big teams in Pakistan to get through to the Round 2 Equivalent of the WBC, the super 8's.

Yeah they just did a comparison on the teams. 23 mlb players for the DR, 2 for the Netherlands. David vs Goliath. Very entertaining.

monkeypants
03-10-2009, 09:54 PM
Reminds very much of Ireland's CWC run of 2007, they had some great bowling in that tournament that just kept them in it and then they knocked off one of the big teams in Pakistan to get through to the Round 2 Equivalent of the WBC, the super 8's.

I think you're just stating the obvious to everyone on this forum. :tongue:

DirtySox
03-10-2009, 09:57 PM
I hate dish network. Are these games on mlb.tv?

Yep. That's where I'm watching it from.

chisoxfanatic
03-10-2009, 09:58 PM
ouch..

Now, this is a White Sox fan message board. You don't have to keep them to yourself. :D:

SoxGirl4Life
03-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Yep. That's where I'm watching it from.
Great! Thanks!

EndemicSox
03-10-2009, 10:02 PM
The Cubans are simply amazing, the way they play the game is un-matched.

SoxGirl4Life
03-10-2009, 10:03 PM
Now, this is a White Sox fan message board. You don't have to keep them to yourself. :D:

I gave it up for lent :tongue:.

guillensdisciple
03-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Wow what a sick play there.

Anyone see the play Cuba just turned? Wow. Now we know where Alexei gets it from.

The Cubans are simply amazing, the way they play the game is un-matched.

AHHHHH I am so jealous that you guys get to see this BAHHHHHHHH

are the games free on mlb.tv because I need to watch my favorite team?

**** you dish network.

SoxGirl4Life
03-10-2009, 10:06 PM
AHHHHH I am so jealous that you guys get to see this BAHHHHHHHH

are the games free on mlb.tv because I need to watch my favorite team?

**** you dish network.
yes.. mlb.tv.

/sharing your hatred for the Dish

PKalltheway
03-10-2009, 10:06 PM
Wow, I was really busy today, and just found out (on here, no less) that the Netherlands beat the Dominican Republic again?! :o:

:hawk

"Mercy!"

Seriously, this is incredible. Damn, I'd never thought I'd say it, but: go Netherlands.:cool:

guillensdisciple
03-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Wow, I was really busy today, and just found out (on here, no less) that the Netherlands beat the Dominican Republic again?! :o:

:hawk

"Mercy!"

Seriously, this is incredible. Damn, I'd never thought I'd say it, but: go Netherlands.:cool:

I just found that out... WHAT THE HELL!?!?!?!?

I gave them nothing, no chance to win today. This makes the American route to the championship so much easier. They only have to deal with Puerto Rico now. Unbelievable, just unbelievable. What channel was this game on??

Wait, did you say mlb.tv was free?

SoxGirl4Life
03-10-2009, 10:11 PM

I gave them nothing, no chance to win today. This makes the American route to the championship sp much easier. They only have to deal with Puerto Rico now. Unbelievable, just unbelievable. What channel was this game on??

Don't know about free, because I subscribe...

oeo
03-10-2009, 10:14 PM

I gave them nothing, no chance to win today. This makes the American route to the championship so much easier. They only have to deal with Puerto Rico now. Unbelievable, just unbelievable. What channel was this game on??

Check your PM.

kevingrt
03-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Is there really anything better then "Down goes the Dominican!"?

The Scrubbies at least get Marmol back early. HA!

chisoxfanatic
03-10-2009, 10:15 PM
Damn, I'd never thought I'd say it, but: go Netherlands.:cool:
Except for when they play us, which is in the next pool.
What channel was this game on??
The MLB Network. Tomorrow night's USA/Venezuela game will be on there as well.

oeo
03-10-2009, 10:24 PM
Is there really anything better then "Down goes the Dominican!"?

The Scrubbies at least get Marmol back early. HA!

Yeah, knowing that he still can't handle pressure. :redneck

guillensdisciple
03-10-2009, 10:26 PM
Thank you oeo.

Tough situation right now, but that was a nice groundout for Cuba right there.

Oh and the starting pitcher for Cuba is the guy my cousin warned me about in a conversation last week. He covers Mexican sports but he gets to see the Cuban national team. He said that this guy will probably be the next guy to leave and play for an American team.

HomeFish
03-10-2009, 10:35 PM
I don't understand Australia's uniforms here. Why green? Did they not wear their flag colors because it would be too similar to Cuba?

DSpivack
03-10-2009, 10:39 PM
I don't understand Australia's uniforms here. Why green? Did they not wear their flag colors because it would be too similar to Cuba?

Many of their national teams, often known as the Kangaroos, are yellow and green.

HomeFish
03-10-2009, 10:41 PM
Many of their national teams, often known as the Kangaroos, are yellow and green.

Ah, cool. I think it looks good on them.

HomeFish
03-10-2009, 10:44 PM
This story about Fidel Castro calling the team and criticizing their baserunning is great.

cleanwsox
03-10-2009, 10:45 PM
Go Dutch! Considering I could play on that team since my mom was born there, I'm more than happy about this.

I gave up after the DR scored and went to work out. Ugh, what a horrible decision.

WhiteSox5187
03-10-2009, 11:02 PM
Obviously it's early but I am stunned that Australia has stayed with Cuba for this long.

oeo
03-10-2009, 11:03 PM
Obviously it's early but I am stunned that Australia has stayed with Cuba for this long.

Well they also beat the **** out of Mexico. This is the same team that got clobbered by a bunch of Sox minor leaguers...I don't get it.

oeo
03-10-2009, 11:18 PM
Cespedes is trying out for 2010 White Sox centerfielder. :tongue:

2-3 with a dinger, and shows off a cannon in CF.

HomeFish
03-10-2009, 11:18 PM
The Cubans are reacting poorly to calls that don't go their way.

DSpivack
03-10-2009, 11:21 PM
Cespedes is trying out for 2010 White Sox centerfielder. :tongue:

2-3 with a dinger, and shows off a cannon in CF.

Or Chapman!

The Cubans are reacting poorly to calls that don't go their way.

Well, can you blame them? All they want is dinner.

WhiteSox5187
03-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Well they also beat the **** out of Mexico. This is the same team that got clobbered by a bunch of Sox minor leaguers...I don't get it.
I know but Cuba is much better than Mexico. Boy Cuba is looking sloppy here.

oeo
03-10-2009, 11:29 PM
Rut-roh for Cuba.