PDA

View Full Version : A Nice Article on Beckham

JermaineDye05
03-05-2009, 02:25 AM
Link (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1461423,CST-SPT-sox05.article)

I can't wait until he makes his debut.

guillensdisciple
03-05-2009, 04:55 AM
The White Sox are swimming in young riches at the moment. Unfortunately, that means that we will have to either trade some of them or teach them new positions.

We have a cluster in the infield, and I don't see how Beckham would fit there at the moment. If we got rid of Konerko and put Dayan there- things would probably work out. At this point though, I don't see Konerko leaving.

Frater Perdurabo
03-05-2009, 06:48 AM
The White Sox are swimming in young riches at the moment. Unfortunately, that means that we will have to either trade some of them or teach them new positions.

We have a cluster in the infield, and I don't see how Beckham would fit there at the moment. If we got rid of Konerko and put Dayan there- things would probably work out. At this point though, I don't see Konerko leaving.

Paulie's contract ends after 2010. There's no need to rush Beckham or Viciedo, but at the same time it's nice to know the Sox have internal options that should be ready by then.

Konerko05
03-05-2009, 07:17 AM

It's a good problem to have.

I don't see Beckham making too big of an impact with the White Sox this year. The kid has only played 14 games at low A ball. The Sox seem to think they have something special with Gordon, I'm sure they don't plan on rushing him.

I could see him getting called up in the second half of the season if he just plows through AA with no problem. If he shows he's still getting acclimated to the higher level of talent, they will keep him down there till September. He would also have less of a shot if Getz (slim chance Lillibridge) is contributing to White Sox victories.

If Beckham has a good year in 2009, I really can't see anyone blocking his path. Same goes for Viciedo. Right now it's not set in stone what positions either of them will be playing. Beckham could be at SS, 2B, or 3B. Viciedo could be at 3B, 1B, RF, LF.

Thome and Dye become free agents after this season. There will be positions open at RF and 1B if Konerko slides in to the DH role. It's also possible the Sox could re-sign Dye as the DH, which would still leave RF open.

If Fields shows he can not handle 3B while Viciedo can, Viciedo will be playing 3B. If neither can handle 3B, Beckham could take over the position. There is also the possibility if Fields greatly improves at the plate, he could move over to 1B. Although I'm not confident Fields will ever become a good enough hitter to produce a decent 1B offensive output.

If Alexei is really as good as advertised defensively, he will stay at SS for a long time. I'm guessing this is what's going to happen. So if Beckham and Viciedo play well in the minors this year offensively and defensively, Getz is probably the odd man out. Getz could stay at 2B in 2010 (assuming he has a good season in 2009) if Fields bombs this season, and Viciedo doesn't improve his infield defense.

I'm hoping Viciedo can improve defensively and stay at 3B. 2010 could have an infield of Viciedo-Ramirez-Beckham-Konerko. Ramirez and Beckham should be defensively strong up the middle. The corners should be decent. The offensive potential of that infield is amazing.

So overall, I don't really think the infield is too crowded as many positions are not set in stone, anything can happen this season, and Viciedo could possibly replace Dye in the outfield. The thought of all this does excite me though. This could be a very interesting turn over of the roster that actually started with Quentin, Alexei, Danks, Floyd. Brandon Allen and Tyler Flowers could also make their way into the picture by 2010.

I'm really not sure if I actually just contributed anything or if I was just thinking out loud.

jabrch
03-05-2009, 08:30 AM
The White Sox are swimming in young riches at the moment. .

Isn't that a bit of an exaggeration?

HebrewHammer
03-05-2009, 08:46 AM
Gordon Beckham...has... A BLOG!!! (http://whitesoxprospect.mlblogs.com/)

guillensdisciple
03-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Isn't that a bit of an exaggeration?

Yes, I will re-phrase it, young infield riches.

Red Barchetta
03-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Great story! More AJ Man Love! :tongue:

Britt Burns
03-05-2009, 12:56 PM
Beckham is exciting. I can't wait to see him, Vicideo, and TCM in the same infield. Who knows, maybe Fields will put it together or Allen will make huge steps forward and we can have a fully homegrown infield.

Thome25
03-05-2009, 02:05 PM

This is a problem the White Sox have but, it's a good problem. What happens if one or two out of Lillibridge, Nix, and Getz end up playing really well? The Sox will end up needing to put either Alexei or Beckham at 2B. 3B is an option for Beckham but, Viciedo is slated to play there.

Because of this, Thome is most certainly the odd-man out with Dye running a close 2nd. Konerko (or Dye if he isn't let go?) would be the DH with Beckham at 2B, SS or 3B and Fields (or Viciedo possibly if Beckham ends up at 3B?) at 1B IMO. I just don't see Viciedo as an OF IMHO. Even still, in this scenario, what happens to the trio of Lillibridge, Getz, or Nix if any (or all.) of them play well?

We should be happy because KW has set the Sox up to have a ton of different options.

CashMan
03-05-2009, 02:39 PM
We should be happy because KW has set the Sox up to have a ton of different options.

But he gave away BIG GAME Javy!!!!!

Thome25
03-05-2009, 02:46 PM
But he gave away BIG GAME Javy!!!!!

LOL.....How about "BIG STINK IN HIS POOPY DIAPER EVERY TIME HE PITCHED IN A BIG GAME" Javy? He crapped his pants in big games and everytime he whined. He was a mediocre pitcher at best.

EndemicSox
03-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Here is what I see in 2011, if everyone develops as expected with the bat.

SS: Ramirez(no brainer, should be a fixture for 5+ years)
2B: Beckham(see Ramirez)
1B: Viceado(don't see him having the glove for 3B, but hopefully the Pimp's bat is more than enough for this position or DH, and it certainly looks promising at the moment)

3B: Not sold on anyone yet, but Fields deserves a long look this season.

Congrats to Kenny Williams, he has done an excellent job bringing in some potential sluggers for the WhiteSox of the 2010's!

CashMan
03-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Here is what I see in 2011, if everyone develops as expected with the bat.

SS: Ramirez(no brainer, should be a fixture for 5+ years)
2B: Beckham(see Ramirez)
1B: Viceado(don't see him having the glove for 3B, but hopefully the Pimp's bat is more than enough for this position or DH, and it certainly looks promising at the moment)

3B: Not sold on anyone yet, but Fields deserves a long look this season.

Congrats to Kenny Williams, he has done an excellent job bringing in some potential sluggers for the WhiteSox of the 2010's!

I like what Kenny has done, but all I ask, is find me a leadoff hitter like Podsednick at the beginning of 05, that is all I want. He has drafted well in Beckham, and has signed/traded for depth in the infield, I am very pleased. I am hoping another draft with Buddy Bell, and we can get a few more good prospects.

Bucky F. Dent
03-05-2009, 10:16 PM
LOL.....How about "BIG STINK IN HIS POOPY DIAPER EVERY TIME HE PITCHED IN A BIG GAME" Javy? He crapped his pants in big games and everytime he whined. He was a mediocre pitcher at best.

:rolling:

guillen4life13
03-06-2009, 10:43 AM
I like what Kenny has done, but all I ask, is find me a leadoff hitter like Podsednick at the beginning of 05, that is all I want. He has drafted well in Beckham, and has signed/traded for depth in the infield, I am very pleased. I am hoping another draft with Buddy Bell, and we can get a few more good prospects.

All I want for Christmas is a new Stealth Bomber airplane. That's all I ask.

I hate to say it, but the type of player you're looking for is a lot harder to find than a slugging corner OF/IF. I wish it were easy.

I think Buddy Bell has helped the team a lot already and I hope that he continues this turnaround.

jabrch
03-06-2009, 02:50 PM
. I am hoping another draft with Buddy Bell, and we can get a few more good prospects.

I think Buddy Bell has helped the team a lot already and I hope that he continues this turnaround.

Bell is running the minor leagues for us (player development) - not the draft (amateur scouting) - right? Isn't that Laumann? Or does Laumann report up to Bell?