PDA

View Full Version : Why have a bench...

Tragg
05-26-2002, 03:15 PM
if you don't use it and let clayton bat down 4 in the 8th?

This happens game after game after game.

baggio202
05-26-2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Tragg

ive been harping on this about manuel since he let clayton and lee bat against wickman in cleveland when we were down 2 runs forst series we played them...this is now 6 times clayton has batted in the 8th inning or later with the sox down 4 runs or less...he is 1 for 6....i dont have a problem with how manuel uses the pen or how decides to rest guys for the season...i think jerry is a very good manager..but what is his fascination with clayton at the plate???...tony g is a 300 hitter sitting on the bench while 202 hitting clayton is batting and we are down late???....id love to hear his justification for this

ISUSoxfan
05-27-2002, 05:41 AM
But so many fans come to the games just to see Clayton bat....oh wait, no they don't.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-27-2002, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by baggio202
....i think jerry is a very good manager..but what is his fascination with clayton at the plate???...tony g is a 300 hitter sitting on the bench while 202 hitting clayton is batting and we are down late???....id love to hear his justification for this

Compromising photographs, baggio. Compromising photographs.

Next question.

:)

KruseControl04
05-27-2002, 11:25 AM
Jerry needs to learn to go to his bench like he goes to his bullpen. If he did that, we'd see a whole hell of a lot more pinch hitters in the later innings when we were down.

rmusacch
05-27-2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Tragg

This has been something that has been baffling me for weeks now. :?:

Garrison
05-27-2002, 01:30 PM
He is so obsessed with L/L and R/R pitching matchups. Why not at the plate? Liefer never pinch hits to face a lefty and when Jose is on the bench JM won't pinch hit him even though he's a switch hitter. I don't get it. Graffy is a good hitter and yet Clayton is up there leading off the late innings and swinging for the fences. whiff.....whiff.....whiff.....one out. Come on! At least make it intertesting at the end. I turned the game off after the 3rd inning because down 4-0 with Ritchie on the mound I knew it was over. Feeling guilty I tuned in to the 7-9 innings and found I was absolutely correct. Ugh! :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

baggio202
05-28-2002, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Compromising photographs, baggio. Compromising photographs.

Next question.

:)

well that would make more sense than any real baseball explanation JM could come up with :smile:

Nellie_Fox
05-28-2002, 03:01 AM
Here's where I agree with you guys. Clayton is our best defensive shortstop, but late in the game, when the Sox are behind, I want to see Smokey Burgess coming off the bench dragging that big piece of lumber up there instead of Royce (what ever happened to the professional pinch hitter?) Seriously, Royce has to sit down in favor of a pinch hitter when the Sox are close but behind in the 8th or 9th innings.

CiscoCarlos
05-28-2002, 07:01 AM
Maybe one factor is that carrying 12 pitchers limits your bench. As we saw last night, Rowand is no Smoky Burgess (who was a very valuable 25th player when the Sox carried 10 pitchers) . I like Rowand, but I don't picture him as a late inning pinch hitter.