PDA

View Full Version : A.J. Is Glad He Stayed.

Thome25
03-04-2009, 02:00 PM
A.J. says he's glad he signed his extension a year and a half ago and he stayed because he likes the fans and the organization. Well A.J. buddy, the fans of the Chicago White Sox love you too and enjoy having you here....you're welcome to stay as long as you'd like.

Link: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-04-white-sox-bits-chicagomar04,0,1653683.story

PennStater98r
03-04-2009, 02:53 PM
A.J. says he's glad he signed his extension a year and a half ago and he stayed because he likes the fans and the organization. Well A.J. buddy, the fans of the Chicago White Sox love you too and enjoy having you here....you're welcome to stay as long as you'd like.

Link: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-04-white-sox-bits-chicagomar04,0,1653683.story

I love A.J!

CWSpalehoseCWS
03-04-2009, 02:55 PM
He's not my favorite player for nothing.

whitesox901
03-04-2009, 02:56 PM
Im glad too, with Mackowiak gone, the Sox need at least one Polish player :cool:

beasly213
03-04-2009, 02:58 PM
If AJ ever leaves the Sox I think we will be the only city to give him cheers when he comes back in another teams uniform.

Frontman
03-04-2009, 03:08 PM
If AJ ever leaves the Sox I think we will be the only city to give him cheers when he comes back in another teams uniform.

Depending on the departure; I have to agree with you. (Now, if AJ would bad mouth the team/fans if he leaves, it could be a cold reception upon his return.)

But I think AJ realizes this is a fanbase that loves him and appreciates his style of play.

I certainly will cheer for him; but hope I never have to see him in another uniform.

GoGoCrede
03-04-2009, 03:33 PM
I always remember after the blackout game seeing an interview with AJ on the field. He was saying how great the crowd was, best one he'd ever been a part of. He sounded like he was just in awe. He said he loved the Chicago fans, and we had been nothing but good to him. We love you, too, AJ!

mrfourni
03-04-2009, 03:54 PM

I've always wondered, why do Twins fans boo AJ up in their dome? I know it's because they're morons, but is there a more specific reason? He was always a solid player for them even though I despised him back then.

Jim Shorts
03-04-2009, 03:54 PM
Depending on the departure; I have to agree with you. (Now, if AJ would bad mouth the team/fans if he leaves, it could be a cold reception upon his return.)

But I think AJ realizes this is a fanbase that loves him and appreciates his style of play.

I certainly will cheer for him; but hope I never have to see him in another uniform.

Hammer, meet nail. Well said.

We know Crede is kicking his dog for not doing the same thing...for more money.

AJRoxMyWhiteSox
03-04-2009, 03:56 PM

You took the words right out of my mouth.

We love you, AJ!

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-04-2009, 04:28 PM
Nice article. Also amazing to know that SOME ballplayers (hint hint, Pudge) do see what the market offers and what is truly available to him.

Nellie_Fox
03-04-2009, 04:37 PM
I've always wondered, why do Twins fans boo AJ up in their dome? I know it's because they're morons, but is there a more specific reason? He was always a solid player for them even though I despised him back then.A lot of them insist that AJ deliberately stepped on Morneau's ankle at first back in 1997, but then they were booing him before that.

I've asked them about it, and other than the above incident with Morneau, the only other reason they can give is "because he's a jerk."

Noneck
03-04-2009, 07:13 PM
A lot of them insist that AJ deliberately stepped on Morneau's ankle at first back in 1997, but then they were booing him before that.

I've asked them about it, and other than the above incident with Morneau, the only other reason they can give is "because he's a jerk."

I believe you meant 2007.

voodoochile
03-04-2009, 07:20 PM
A lot of them insist that AJ deliberately stepped on Morneau's ankle at first back in 1997, but then they were booing him before that.

Well he's a cheater too, donchaknow? I mean he clearly violated the rules of good sportsmanship and probably the actual rules of the game when Josh Paul didn't come even close to dropping that third strike. His head fake toward the dugout clearly was intended to deceive poor Josh and thus the ensuing base he "stole" and run he scored should never have been allowed. It's a travashamockery and AJ is the Anti-Chirst.

In all seriousness, people actually do make this argument and of course I also believe he was the "man on the boone" and stepped on another guy last year reprising that role with obvious relish... I guess that makes him a hot dog, but at least he's our hot dog...

We're glad you stayed too, AJ...:)

thomas35forever
03-04-2009, 07:33 PM
We love you here, AJ. When you're playing days are over, I hope you stay with the organization for a long time.

DaveFeelsRight
03-04-2009, 07:46 PM
call me crazy, but i can see AJ being a coach here in the future

MarySwiss
03-04-2009, 08:13 PM
All right; you're crazy!
But I hope you're also right. :D:

Thome25
03-04-2009, 09:58 PM
I wonder what the odds are that AJ re-signs again after his contract is up. Personally, i'd like to see him end his career with us.

rdwj
03-04-2009, 11:08 PM

I was going to say the same thing!!

When Ozzie is ready to retire, AJ should be ready to go :yup:

Man, that would be fun to watch.

Southsider101
03-04-2009, 11:20 PM
I've always wondered, why do Twins fans boo AJ up in their dome? I know it's because they're morons, but is there a more specific reason? He was always a solid player for them even though I despised him back then.

It's just jealousy. Minnesota sports fans have very fragile egos and seem to take things way too personally. I can't understand why they boo a guy who clearly enjoyed his stay here and still has good relations with Manager Ron Gardenhire as well as a number of Twin's players.

Southsider101
03-04-2009, 11:26 PM
BTW, did anyone hear the props that the Cub's crew on WGN -TV threw AJ's way on tonight's broadcast? Can't remember which announcer it was who complimented AJ on his knowlege of the MLB rule book in an era when many MLB ballplayers don't even know the basics such as the infield fly rule.

Rohan
03-04-2009, 11:30 PM

I agree, and i don't think that he would leave with a bad mouth. He's a class act.

Nellie_Fox
03-05-2009, 12:47 AM
I believe you meant 2007.I believe you are correct, and I have no freaking idea why I typed 1997.

Frankfan4life
03-05-2009, 02:16 AM
Well, AJ, now that you're going to stay a while, all I ask is that you learn how to throw out some base runners every now and then.

Frontman
03-05-2009, 09:02 AM
Well, AJ, now that you're going to stay a while, all I ask is that you learn how to throw out some base runners every now and then.

"Listen, I'll throw the #*$^ out if the #@*@#&$^% pitchers could get me the @$#@) ball in less than a minute. Only Mark, the guy with the slowest $*%&#^ fastball I've ever caught; is the only guy who knows how to get me the $%*^& ball with any speed for me to get it back out to #*%&#^$ Getz.

"Do I sound ready to take over for Ozzie now?"
:AJ:

oeo
03-05-2009, 09:07 AM

He's never done it well, and he's not getting any younger.

But, again, it's not all on AJ. We have some of the worst pitchers at holding runners, and their deliveries are so slow, you need an Ivan Rodriguez to throw guys out with any consistency. Contreras and Gavin definitely fall into this category; Freddy was incredibly slow, and Javy wasn't much better. Buehrle mentioned this was something the pitchers have been working on, so we shall see...

Thome25
03-05-2009, 11:23 AM
BTW, did anyone hear the props that the Cub's crew on WGN -TV threw AJ's way on tonight's broadcast? Can't remember which announcer it was who complimented AJ on his knowlege of the MLB rule book in an era when many MLB ballplayers don't even know the basics such as the infield fly rule.

What else was said?

guillensdisciple
03-05-2009, 12:59 PM

I think he would make a great coach, assuming he teaches using his character.

Players would love playing for a guy like that.

Railsplitter
03-05-2009, 01:31 PM
I believe this is A.J.'s fifth year with the Sox and will be a 10 and 5 player afterward.

skobabe8
03-05-2009, 01:35 PM
When Liz threw out the first pitch before a game last year, Buehrle was signing her ball for her when AJ came out of the dugout, pointed to my #12 jersey, and proceeded to talk **** to Mark that I had his jersey. He then grabbed the ball and signed it.

:worship:AJ

chisoxfanatic
03-05-2009, 06:34 PM
That's not crazy. I think he would be an awesome coach who would always have his team keeping the other team playing on their heels. He's always thinking one step ahead of everyone else.

UMSox
03-05-2009, 07:28 PM
That's not crazy. I think he would be an awesome coach who would always have his team keeping the other team playing on their heels. He's always thinking one step ahead of everyone else.

You know, Hawk's going to have to retire one of these years; the Sox might need a color guy who knows a little bit about the game and the club... :redneck

chisoxfanatic
03-05-2009, 07:34 PM
You know, Hawk's going to have to retire one of these years; the Sox might need a color guy who knows a little bit about the game and the club... :redneck
Ozzie could then move to the broadcast booth with AJ being the manager. White Sox baseball would set the world record for "bleeps" in a single recording.

Craig Grebeck
03-05-2009, 07:38 PM
I wonder what the odds are that AJ re-signs again after his contract is up. Personally, i'd like to see him end his career with us.
No thanks.

UMSox
03-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Ozzie could then move to the broadcast booth with AJ being the manager. White Sox baseball would set the world record for "bleeps" in a single recording.

I was fantasizing about all the trash AJ would talk in the broadcast booth (plus, seriously, he knows the game better than just about any active player), but your proposal also has its merits..... :D:

whitesox901
03-05-2009, 11:27 PM
All right; you're crazy!
But I hope you're also right. :D:

Just don't call him Surely :D:

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-06-2009, 07:41 AM
What else was said?

They were commenting about the # of fans giving the "AJ Cheer". Casper stated that AJ is probably used to it, and knows he uses it to fire himself up. Brenly follwed up by saying AJ is one of the smartest people in the game because of his knowledge of the rulebook, and cited the ALCS incident with the Angels. About 5 min later, Brenly finished his thought and stated he thought AJ was an asset to any team he played for.

Then, Ron Santo walked in, set his hairpiece on fire, and the conversation changed to how Alfonso Soriano was the best player ever to lead off, hit homeruns and skip in the outfield.

russ99
03-06-2009, 09:47 AM
No thanks.

C'mon. He's arguably in the top 5 catchers in the AL, won't command a big deal and who's to say Flowers won't end up at 1B anyway.

I'd love to see him stick around longer.

Craig Grebeck
03-06-2009, 09:48 AM
C'mon. He's arguably in the top 5 catchers in the AL, won't command a big deal and who's to say Flowers won't end up at 1B anyway.

I'd love to see him stick around longer.
I have my reasons. He is most definitely not a top 5 catcher, and I'd prefer the Sox go in a different direction after his contract has expired. At this point, his only above average asset is his durability.

Thome25
03-06-2009, 11:26 AM
I have my reasons. He is most definitely not a top 5 catcher, and I'd prefer the Sox go in a different direction after his contract has expired. At this point, his only above average asset is his durability.

What DO you like and what DO you want? It would be a far shorter list and far take less time than going over what you DON'T like and DON'T want. Based on your past posts there isn't very much you do like.

Craig Grebeck
03-06-2009, 11:53 AM
What DO you like and what DO you want? It would be a far shorter list and far take less time than going over what you DON'T like and DON'T want. Based on your past posts there isn't very much you do like.
I'd like them to go in a different direction. I really don't want any part of a catcher his age with his skill-set.

What would I like? A younger catcher who is better defensively.

esbrechtel
03-06-2009, 11:58 AM
So you were a big Olivo fan then?

Craig Grebeck
03-06-2009, 12:01 PM
So you were a big Olivo fan then?
Yes, I was a big fan of Miguel Olivo when he played for the White Sox. I like good defensive catchers. Kill me.

Thome25
03-06-2009, 12:15 PM
I'd like them to go in a different direction. I really don't want any part of a catcher his age with his skill-set.

What would I like? A younger catcher who is better defensively.

My only problem with this assessment is that a catcher fitting your description doesn't grow on trees.

Also, no one currently on the Sox could match AJ's leadership, grittyness, and overall knowledge of the game IMHO. He is the type of player every team hates and every team wishes they had. Because of this he would be missed.

Jim Shorts
03-06-2009, 12:28 PM

While he didn't go to college, AJ is one of the smartest baseball people in the game. That was clearly evident when he got the interference call last year and it's not a coincidence it was AJ on the dropped 3rd strike in '05.

Right after that interference call last year I started hoping that AJ would someday become a coach for us and eventually manage the club. He has a great baseball mind.

russ99
03-06-2009, 01:01 PM
Yes, I was a big fan of Miguel Olivo when he played for the White Sox. I like good defensive catchers. Kill me.

I have no problem with that as long as they can hit.

I have no wish to see the Sox go back to the days of Karko's .190 average and solid defensive play.

Maybe Cole Armstrong might fit the bill eventually, but I can see him backing up Flowers-if he stays as a catcher.

voodoochile
03-06-2009, 02:14 PM

Does the way the catcher handles the pitchers count as part of that defense? I'd rate that the single biggest factor in deciding who to have as a starter. AJ clearly is better at that than any of the other options and lightyears ahead of Olivo. If Flowers can develop that skill, then he'll be a nice replacement when he's ready, but at the moment, AJ clearly is a factor in the success our pitching staff has shown since he's been here.

rdwj
03-06-2009, 04:15 PM
Does the way the catcher handles the pitchers count as part of that defense? I'd rate that the single biggest factor in deciding who to have as a starter. AJ clearly is better at that than any of the other options and lightyears ahead of Olivo. If Flowers can develop that skill, then he'll be a nice replacement when he's ready, but at the moment, AJ clearly is a factor in the success our pitching staff has shown since he's been here.

Exactly. Just about anytime you hear anyone badmouth AJ, it's because they discount the value he provides to our staff by handling our pitchers.

Frontman
03-06-2009, 05:47 PM
And who is to say that when AJ re-upps, that he wouldn't take a lesser role and eventually become a backup catcher? If AJ can produce, I want him as long as he wants to stay. And if he accepts that as his body reaches the point of not being able to be the primary catcher; and still wants to remain with the White Sox?

I'd love to see him stay.

Eddo144
03-06-2009, 06:18 PM
I have no problem with that as long as they can hit.
You have no problem with a good defensive catcher, as long as he can hit?

Isn't that the same as only wanting a good offensive catcher? :scratch: