PDA

View Full Version : WBC question RE: Team USA's uniforms

Whitesox029
03-04-2009, 12:45 AM
I saw a picture of Jeter in a team USA uniform today, and the American flag sewn on his sleeve was backwards. Is there a reason for this? Am I wrong or isn't that a signal of disrespect? I may be thinking of an upside down flag, but nevertheless, it seems odd.

DSpivack
03-04-2009, 12:51 AM
I saw a picture of Jeter in a team USA uniform today, and the American flag sewn on his sleeve was backwards. Is there a reason for this? Am I wrong or isn't that a signal of disrespect? I may be thinking of an upside down flag, but nevertheless, it seems odd.

I was watching the game [yeah, that bored]. The announcers said it had to with some flag protocol [from, they said, the DoD], stating that when worn on a uniform, the flag should appear as if waving in the wind. Thus, since the flag is on the right sleeve, it appears 'backwards.' I have no idea if that makes any sense, but that's what the [YES Network, I think] announcers said.

Nellie_Fox
03-04-2009, 01:17 AM
If the American Flag is placed on anything that moves, it should always appear to be advancing. Thus a flag placed on a right sleeve, or the right side of a vehicle, will have the "union" in the upper right.

Check out a U.S. Army soldier in his/her camo uniform. The American Flag is on the right sleeve, and the union is to the front, or right side.

Scottiehaswheels
03-04-2009, 02:21 AM
If the American Flag is placed on anything that moves, it should always appear to be advancing. Thus a flag placed on a right sleeve, or the right side of a vehicle, will have the "union" in the upper right.

Check out a U.S. Army soldier in his/her camo uniform. The American Flag is on the right sleeve, and the union is to the front, or right side.
I noticed that on a tanker truck down here the other day and had the same question. Good to know the answer. Thanks!

Madvora
03-04-2009, 08:31 AM
I think having the flag upside down is the sign of disrespect.

Marqhead
03-04-2009, 08:34 AM

It's a signal of distress.

anewman35
03-04-2009, 10:08 AM
This is about flags on military uniforms, but I assume all the same info applies:

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/theorderlyroom/f/faqflag.htm

Huisj
03-04-2009, 10:49 AM

They better not get caught in any rundowns on the bases where they might attempt to backpedal.

Whappeh
03-04-2009, 02:14 PM

Its not upside down... its like this: http://www.natick.army.mil/about/pao/2007/07-44_files/soldiers2-med.JPG

Madvora
03-04-2009, 02:35 PM
Its not upside down... its like this:
I know, but the original poster mentioned that he thought this was a sign of disrespect. I was commenting on what a sign of disrespect was... which I thought was the upside down flag... I guess I'm wrong about that.

EndemicSox
03-04-2009, 02:40 PM
they better not get caught in any rundowns on the bases where they might attempt to backpedal.
:d: