PDA

View Full Version : Early Reviews on Camelback Ranch-Glendale

Soxaredabest
03-03-2009, 12:05 PM
I'm not sure if anyone on here has been to the new park, but just wanted to get some feedback. What do you think of it? How are the sight lines? Food? Can a fan watch practice easily? Let us know how it is!

Matlock
03-03-2009, 01:30 PM
Food was ok.

Buns were fresh. They use Heinz catsup.

palehosepub
03-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Went to Phoenix this weekend saws Cubs destroy the Sox Saturday and saw the Dodger (Sunday) and Mariner (Monday) game at Camelback Ranch (CBR). We had 4 dads and 9 boys from ages 7 to 15 and overall we had a fantastic time. Observations and comments from fans, employees etc. about CBR:

1) Got consistent feedback on how the Dodgers / Sox overestimated the demand and pricing. Tickets are very expensive, we paid $30 plus TM fees to sit between 1B and RF on Friday. Behind the plate they go up to $90!
2) Sightlines are good everywhere, great if you like sun, but if you don't very few of the seats were shaded, you had to go to the concessions area to cool off, but hey, its the cactus league.
3) Dodgers have a good fan season ticket base, Sox have very little. The premium box seats are mostly sold out for Dodger home games, they are nearly all available for Sox games. I bought two first row seats in section 107 behind the plate for Monday's game ($45 ea). Not a huge surprise given LA proximity but the people at CBR says they have been surprised at the lack of Sox tickets sold, it will take a while to build a base. Attendance only 3,000 for Sox home opener but it was a Monday afternoon. People were moving down to better seats without being hassled.
3) Food very expensive but generally good. Hamburger $5.50, comes with lettuce, tomato and a big patty. Hot Dogs $5. Root Beer Float $7!! Regular bottle of Bud or Bud lite $6.50, some micro brews available at a higher price. Concession lines were slow and the usual first day training issues were evident for Sunday's game, Monday was fine but crowd was 3,000 vs. 12,000.
4) Employees go out of their way to greet and welcome you, you could not pass a park employee without them greeting you - this must have been a philosophy that was consistently "preached". I hope that friendliness remains, I was impressed.
5) The kids had a great time getting autographs and players were very accessible before and after the game. Those who were signing a lot include Alexi, Getz, Beckham, Fields, Danks, Jenks, Guillen, AJ, and some non rostered players. Players who we did not see signing include PK, TCQ, and JD.
6) A Sox representative asked my 14 year old son to be the visiting team batboy (Mariners), just random luck We had to catch a plane at 6pm but I figured it was a once in a lifetime chance, he had a great time. Picked up some interesting comments by M's manager (Where's all the Sox fans? Isn't it there home opener?" Some cursing about AJ.) Most players obviously don't pay any attention to the batboy but Adrian Beltre, and a backup catcher name Phillips took the time to talk with him so he will always remember that.

Overall CBR was a positive experience, it is and will be a much better location and facility to Tucson. It may change later in the season but tickets could be had below face value outside of the park and people were moving down to better seats.

Huisj
03-03-2009, 03:18 PM
$45 for a spring training game? Whoa. I've never been down to spring training. Is that a normal price at those games for good seats? It seems ridiculous.

rdwj
03-03-2009, 03:22 PM
$45 for a spring training game? Whoa. I've never been down to spring training. Is that a normal price at those games for good seats? It seems ridiculous.

Ya, that's nuts. $5 for a dog is outrageous too. They're not even that much at the Cell.

KenBerryGrab
03-03-2009, 03:26 PM
That's something that shocked me about spring training.
I certainly was naive in thinking you'd get a price break for exhibition games.

rdwj
03-03-2009, 03:30 PM
That's something that shocked me about spring training.
I certainly was naive in thinking you'd get a price break for exhibition games.

Glad to know that - I thought the same as you. Knowing that, I don't think I'll ever make the spring training trip. I can go see regular season games for the same price.

salty99
03-03-2009, 03:31 PM
I asked Scott Reifert about the tickets prices, and he claimed that Dodgers set the prices and the Sox matched them.

palehosepub
03-03-2009, 03:32 PM
The pricing has really escalated over the past 10 years relative to the regular season prices, it is now a money making venture for teams, thats why there are so many new and remodeled parks. I think the Sox / Dodgers took it an addition step too far.

You can still get a lawn seat for about $8 so you can see baseball in the warm AZ spring sunshine. The next time I wouldnt spend as much on tickets either.

mikeybooyah
03-03-2009, 03:58 PM
Am I the only one who is uncomforable with the seats behind home plate having no wall?
I feel like I am staring into the crotches of everyone in row 1.

doublem23
03-03-2009, 04:21 PM
I asked Scott Reifert about the tickets prices, and he claimed that Dodgers set the prices and the Sox matched them.

Yeah, there was some bull**** about not "wanting to confuse people" by having two price tiers for two teams that share one park. Makes sense, but it sucks because those prices are ridiculous for Spring Training, but whatever, it's not like I ever made the trip when they were in Tucson so what do I have to complain about?

Hopefully if the team draws poorly this year, they rethink their pricing strategy for 2010.

TheCarlosQuentin
03-04-2009, 09:22 AM
Quick question.

I'm going to the 3/21 Sox/Cubs game at Camelback. I've been confused when looking at tickets....the Sox will be sitting in the 3rd base dugout for this game, correct? Just want to make sure I buy seats above the Sox dugout. (confused bc on some sites it is saying the 3rd base dugout is the 'visitors dugout')

oeo
03-04-2009, 09:38 AM
Quick question.

I'm going to the 3/21 Sox/Cubs game at Camelback. I've been confused when looking at tickets....the Sox will be sitting in the 3rd base dugout for this game, correct? Just want to make sure I buy seats above the Sox dugout. (confused bc on some sites it is saying the 3rd base dugout is the 'visitors dugout')

Wouldn't it be the visitors dugout when the Dodgers are playing another team?

salty99
03-04-2009, 10:47 AM
Am I the only one who is uncomforable with the seats behind home plate having no wall?

Yeah that is just strange.

AZChiSoxFan
03-04-2009, 11:01 AM

No, that is not normal. At many of the other stadiums in the Cactus League, I believe the top ticket is around $30.

On a separate note, it seems to me that attendance numbers are very low in the CL this year. Maybe they will pick up later this month. I try to glance at the box scores each day and so far this season, I've seen some very low attendance numbers. Especially considering the great weather we had this past weekend.

palehosepub
03-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Sox are always on first base side - they were Sunday as the away team and Monday as home team. Visitors use Dodgers dugout on 3rd base.

03-04-2009, 12:00 PM
How much are lawn seats???

I am paying $8 each for my lawn seats at Milwaukee's stadium when I come and visit ST.

salty99
03-04-2009, 01:14 PM
How much are lawn seats???

I am paying $8 each for my lawn seats at Milwaukee's stadium when I come and visit ST.

$8 each

BainesHOF
03-04-2009, 03:45 PM
My jaw dropped when I saw the ticket prices.

They'd be high in a good economy. In a bad one, they're outrageous. I guess such arrogance will deservedly result in a lot of empty seats.

Chicken Dinner
03-04-2009, 05:23 PM
My 2 cents:

Get lawn (berm) ($10 for premium) seats. Access around the stadium is great. Stand behind the good seats, no problem. Lots of expensive seats to sit in if you wish. Get there early because they haven't quite figured out the parking yet. If possible, hang left and park in the paved area behind third base. Tailgating is allowed and fun. Save a few in the car and let the traffic thin out after the game.

I'll post some picts this weekend.

EndemicSox
03-04-2009, 05:38 PM
My jaw dropped when I saw the ticket prices.

They'd be high in a good economy. In a bad one, they're outrageous. I guess such arrogance will deservedly result in a lot of empty seats.

Agreed, the WhiteSox powers that be need a reality check...asap...these prices I'm seeing are simply out of line. I don't get the logic behind the pricing, but then again, maybe that is good thing nowadays considering the state of modern economics.

MarySwiss
03-04-2009, 07:15 PM
My 2 cents:

Get lawn (berm) ($10 for premium) seats. Access around the stadium is great. Stand behind the good seats, no problem. Lots of expensive seats to sit in if you wish. Get there early because they haven't quite figured out the parking yet. If possible, hang left and park in the paved area behind third base. Tailgating is allowed and fun. Save a few in the car and let the traffic thin out after the game.

I'll post some picts this weekend.
I'm heading there on Monday for my first game at the new place. Thanks for the heads-up, Chicken!

Southsider101
03-04-2009, 07:49 PM
I believe the top ST ticket price at Tucson Electric Park was $16.00 last year. Lawn seats on the outfield bearm were $3.00. Who's in charge of pricing at Glendale? Scott Boras?

Seriously, are these price increases in line with other new facilities in the Phoenix area? These sound more like Yankee-Red Sox ST prices in Florida.

Ranger
03-04-2009, 08:01 PM

I've actually been meaning to ask someone about how the money for the ticket sales is distributed. If it's split evenly between the teams (along iwth some going to the facility, of course) because it is a joint venture, I can see there being a conflict if the Sox prices were different then Dodgers prices. I'm sure the Dodgers knew they would draw well there with the proximity to CA.

Think about it, if it is true that revenue is evenly divided between teams, it would be difficult for the Sox to justify taking half of the money when they aren't drawing half the fans and charging less for tickets. Plus, when the teams play each other, you'd go with the higher price anyway.

Again, I don't know how the distribution is set up, but I can see the two different price plans being difficult. Especially when season tickets for the facility in the spring are good for every game played there, not just your team's games.

grv1974
03-05-2009, 01:20 AM

Someone at the baseball fever forum was saying that they were trying to recreate the backstop at Dodger Stadium.

Hitmen77
03-05-2009, 01:18 PM

I'm not sure what the point is of having no wall behind home plate (both in Glendale and at Dodger Stadium). What does it add to the fan's view of the game. It's not like the wall blocks anyone's view of the action on the field.

MarySwiss
03-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Okay, I'm going to my first ST game in the new park tomorrow, so I went to the Web site to check on what their policies are for what you can/cannot bring in. NO INFORMATION.

I'm mainly concerned about being able to bring in water. Does anyone know if you can or not?

SOXSINCE'70
03-08-2009, 01:06 PM
Ya, that's nuts. $5 for a dog is outrageous too. They're not even that much at the Cell.

:reinsy

"Not yet.But wait;just wait.The Best Kosher dogs
will go up this season.And you can take it to the bank."

Chicken Dinner
03-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Okay, I'm going to my first ST game in the new park tomorrow, so I went to the Web site to check on what their policies are for what you can/cannot bring in. NO INFORMATION.

I'm mainly concerned about being able to bring in water. Does anyone know if you can or not?

Here you go Mary.

http://camelbackranchbaseball.com/stadium/policies/

1 bottle per person

roylestillman
03-09-2009, 11:19 AM
:reinsy

"Not yet.But wait;just wait.The Best Kosher dogs
will go up this season.And you can take it to the bank."
Nobody's told you....? Brace yourself

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=107736&highlight=best+kosher

MarySwiss
03-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Here you go Mary.

http://camelbackranchbaseball.com/stadium/policies/

1 bottle per person

Thanks! I finally found the info by googling. Weird that they don't have it on the Sox Web site. Or at least a link like the one you posted here, which is where I wound up when I googled.

Just got back from the game. Danks wasn't sharp, and the team has definitely looked better. A lot of the hits just seemed to find holes. In fact, I almost felt like we were playing the stinking Twins!

But nobody warned me about the beer! BUD PRODUCTS!!! NO MILLER!! YEEECCHH!

Also FYI, they serve Connie's pizza. I was never all that nuts about Connie's, and the slice of cheese I bought didn't change my mind. (Yes, cheese! They had that and pepperoni. No sausage. Not sure what it is about Arizona and sausage pizza that seems to be incompatible.)

However, we had dynamite seats--third row behind home plate on the Indians side. Expensive, sure--but dynamite! Beautiful day, partly cloudy (that's a good thing out here), low 70s. Seats were so good that I shouted out to some Indians guy that he was really short--and he turned around! Woo-hoo!

Best part; instead of being at work, I was enjoying the sun and good times. The Sox kept most of their first-string guys in through six, so that was also good.

JD looked a bit heavy, but AJ looked a bit lighter, so I guess it evens out! :cool:

manders_01
03-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Thanks! I finally found the info by googling. Weird that they don't have it on the Sox Web site. Or at least a link like the one you posted here, which is where I wound up when I googled.

Just got back from the game. Danks wasn't sharp, and the team has definitely looked better. A lot of the hits just seemed to find holes. In fact, I almost felt like we were playing the stinking Twins!

But nobody warned me about the beer! BUD PRODUCTS!!! NO MILLER!! YEEECCHH!

Also FYI, they serve Connie's pizza. I was never all that nuts about Connie's, and the slice of cheese I bought didn't change my mind. (Yes, cheese! They had that and pepperoni. No sausage. Not sure what it is about Arizona and sausage pizza that seems to be incompatible.)

However, we had dynamite seats--third row behind home plate on the Indians side. Expensive, sure--but dynamite! Beautiful day, partly cloudy (that's a good thing out here), low 70s. Seats were so good that I shouted out to some Indians guy that he was really short--and he turned around! Woo-hoo!

Best part; instead of being at work, I was enjoying the sun and good times. The Sox kept most of their first-string guys in through six, so that was also good.

JD looked a bit heavy, but AJ looked a bit lighter, so I guess it evens out! :cool:

Okay that totally sucks - drinking Bud Light is like giving myself an automatic headache. :whiner:

Glad you had a good time though! See you in a little over a week!

MarySwiss
03-10-2009, 08:12 AM
Okay that totally sucks - drinking Bud Light is like giving myself an automatic headache. :whiner:

Glad you had a good time though! See you in a little over a week!I agree. They do have some other choices though, such as Stella Artois and Fat Tire. My problem is I'm mainly a Miller Lite drinker, although I can go with Coors Light in a pinch. But Bud? Yecch!

About Cubs/Sox; I understand that game is a sellout and since we're coming straight from my banjo lesson, we'll probably not get there really early.

Anyone else going to the game on the 21st?

SOXfnNlansing
03-10-2009, 12:31 PM
I agree. They do have some other choices though, such as Stella Artois and Fat Tire. My problem is I'm mainly a Miller Lite drinker, although I can go with Coors Light in a pinch. But Bud? Yecch!

About Cubs/Sox; I understand that game is a sellout and since we're coming straight from my banjo lesson, we'll probably not get there really early.

We'll be there. Can't wait to meet WSI friends at the game. I'll be in SEC1 row 3.

MarySwiss
03-10-2009, 01:45 PM
We'll be there. Can't wait to meet WSI friends at the game. I'll be in SEC1 row 3.
Cool! Manders, the Mr, and I all have berm tickets, but I think you can wander around on the concourse. Let us know how we can spot you. I'll be rocking my Konerko Road with the WS patch. Manders, have you picked out your garb yet?

manders_01
03-10-2009, 02:30 PM
Cool! Manders, the Mr, and I all have berm tickets, but I think you can wander around on the concourse. Let us know how we can spot you. I'll be rocking my Konerko Road with the WS patch. Manders, have you picked out your garb yet?

LOL Nope but I've got a good idea. I'm thinking it might be a pink TCQ tee with my pink WS hat. I won't be noticeable, will I? :D:

AJRoxMyWhiteSox
03-10-2009, 03:18 PM
I agree. They do have some other choices though, such as Stella Artois and Fat Tire. My problem is I'm mainly a Miller Lite drinker, although I can go with Coors Light in a pinch. But Bud? Yecch!

I will be! My first spring training ever. I'm so excited!

SOXSINCE'70
03-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Nobody's told you....? Brace yourself

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=107736&highlight=best+kosher
:(::whiner:

Onward and upward.

Maybe Hewbrew National or Vienna will be the new vendor.
There is nothing like a Kosher Hot Dog at a Sox game.
At least for me,since I don't drink.:D:

whitesox901
03-10-2009, 06:21 PM
Glendale reminds me of Dodger-Stadium

Wonder if the Dodgers had anything to do with that

MarySwiss
03-10-2009, 07:53 PM
I will be! My first spring training ever. I'm so excited!

Cool! I hope you like it (despite the crappy beer).

TheCommander
03-10-2009, 10:58 PM
:(::whiner:

Onward and upward.

Maybe Hewbrew National or Vienna will be the new vendor.
There is nothing like a Kosher Hot Dog at a Sox game.
At least for me,since I don't drink.:D:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=109114&highlight=Vienna

Chicken Dinner
03-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Of course I'll be there. :cool:

MarySwiss
03-11-2009, 06:29 PM
Of course I'll be there. :cool:
Cool! From what I hear, that game's a sellout, but it'd be nice if a bunch of us could meet up. Maybe we can figure out someplace, like the stand near home plate that sells Connie's pizza.

RadioheadRocks
03-13-2009, 01:15 AM
Just got back from my Arizona trip. Shorter vacation this year so I only got to see one game (Monday at Camelback Ranch vs. the Indians). Nice facility, had fantastic seats in Section 6, Row 7 (right above the Sox dugout).

Two things that became annoying as the game went on (both related to the music piped in overhead):

- that boring instrumental they kept playing over and over again at the end of each inning.

- playing that POPCORN song every time the pitching coach went to the mound. Seriously, that song needs to STAY in 1972.

Despite that, there was one pleasant surprise related to the music... at one point they cranked DANCE by Ratt... hadn't heard that in years! :Rocker:

WestSider
03-16-2009, 08:36 AM
Cool! From what I hear, that game's a sellout, but it'd be nice if a bunch of us could meet up. Maybe we can figure out someplace, like the stand near home plate that sells Connie's pizza.
I'll also be there, Sec 111, row 14. We'll be tailgating before the game, perhaps we could meet up in the parking lot?

SOXfnNlansing
03-16-2009, 08:40 AM
I'll also be there, Sec 111, row 14. We'll be tailgating before the game, perhaps we could meet up in the parking lot?

That would be fun. I will only have spotty internet access after Thursday afternoon, so I'd like to have some sort of plan in place.

WestSider
03-16-2009, 10:58 AM
That would be fun. I will only have spotty internet access after Thursday afternoon, so I'd like to have some sort of plan in place.
On Tuesday, I'll post something for a tailgate in the lot before the Sox/Cubs game on Saturday. I would imagine we would be there about 11:00am.

Also, someone passed along this hint about parking ... don't park in the lot at 107th and Camelback, drive west to the lot at 111th and Camelback, the walk is MUCH shorter. It is here as well: http://phoenix.about.com/od/springtrainingbaseball/a/tipsCamRanch.htm

manders_01
03-16-2009, 01:37 PM
On Tuesday, I'll post something for a tailgate in the lot before the Sox/Cubs game on Saturday. I would imagine we would be there about 11:00am.

Also, someone passed along this hint about parking ... don't park in the lot at 107th and Camelback, drive west to the lot at 111th and Camelback, the walk is MUCH shorter. It is here as well: http://phoenix.about.com/od/springtrainingbaseball/a/tipsCamRanch.htm

Thanks for the parking info. I'm totally up for a tailgate although I will have my Scrubs loving friend with me. Hopefully we can all just get along. :D:

PS: I'd be happy to bring along some food or beverage (although it wouldn't be homemade). Just let me know.

MarySwiss
03-16-2009, 06:20 PM

Thanks for the parking info. I'm totally up for a tailgate although I will have my Scrubs loving friend with me. Hopefully we can all just get along. :D:

PS: I'd be happy to bring along some food or beverage (although it wouldn't be homemade). Just let me know.

The Mr and I will be heading up there after my banjo lesson, so we may not get there in time for the tailgate. But we'll be in the berm; I'm thinking along the first base line. Manders, I'll look for you.

If we can get to the tailgate, we will.

SOXfnNlansing
03-16-2009, 06:47 PM
I'll be in a party of 8 people Saturday. There will be two 8 year olds and the rest adults. We're up for some power tailgating in the desert:bandance:

manders_01
03-16-2009, 08:19 PM
The Mr and I will be heading up there after my banjo lesson, so we may not get there in time for the tailgate. But we'll be in the berm; I'm thinking along the first base line. Manders, I'll look for you.

If we can get to the tailgate, we will.

I will look for you two as well. I'm thinking we might be in left field as that article WestSider posted indicated the sun isn't directly in your eyes in that location. I will probably be in my pink get up I mentioned before and I will be with a Scrubs fan (female - she'll probably wearing some sort of gear). Even though it's bigger than TEP, we should be able to find each other.

Steelrod
03-16-2009, 08:53 PM
I would recommend the mini lake in front of the ticket window in center field as a meeting place.

MarySwiss
03-16-2009, 09:29 PM
I will look for you two as well. I'm thinking we might be in left field as that article WestSider posted indicated the sun isn't directly in your eyes in that location. I will probably be in my pink get up I mentioned before and I will be with a Scrubs fan (female - she'll probably wearing some sort of gear). Even though it's bigger than TEP, we should be able to find each other.

Okay; left field works for me as well. The cool thing about berm tickets is that you can wander around. :-)

Konerko road with the WS patch, and either the WS 1983 cap or the WS Champs one. I'm a 5'3" redhead. Easy to spot. :D:

WestSider
03-17-2009, 07:39 AM
I would recommend the mini lake in front of the ticket window in center field as a meeting place.
Is this a good spot for a pre-game tailgate? Would we be able to bring chairs, a grill, etc.?

Chicken Dinner
03-17-2009, 09:45 AM
Is this a good spot for a pre-game tailgate? Would we be able to bring chairs, a grill, etc.?

No, that's past "checkpoint charlie". Tailgating must be done in the parking lot.

Mendoza Line
03-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Camelback Ranch is a very nice facility. The absence of large advertisements around the field of play is refreshing.Also, the water fountains have reasonably cold water. Tuscon Electric's water was pretty warm and tasted awful.

salty99
03-17-2009, 11:59 AM
Camelback Ranch is a very nice facility. The absence of large advertisements around the field of play is refreshing.Also, the water fountains have reasonably cold water. Tuscon Electric's water was pretty warm and tasted awful.

that is probably because they don't have any large advertisers yet

WestSider
03-18-2009, 03:10 PM
OK, let's try to get together in the parking lot. Saturday March 21 vs. Cubs. There will be 5 in our group, and we plan to be in the lot at 111th and Camelback, which is WEST of the lot at 107th and Camelback. I'm told it is much closer to the stadium entrance, and it is paved. (see the link below for reference).

We will have a grill, so feel free to bring anything you would like to cook, as well as drinks!

We will be in a van, but how can you find us? We'll tape a bunch of balloons to the top of the car! We'll be there by 11:00am. If you post here (or send me a PM) saying you are coming, I will send a PM with my cell number so you can contact me if necessary!

See you all there!

Link: http://www.mysportsscoop.com/v/?p=1835
Tip — don’t take the first parking entrance, just past 107th street. You’ll park in the dirt. (Unless, you want to park in dirt. if so, go for it.) Go to “Ballpark Boulevard,” west of the complex. You’ll be directed into a paved lot. It’s 5-bucks.

MarySwiss
03-18-2009, 03:46 PM
According to today's Republic, a new ST attendance record was set at Camelback Ranch for the Dodgers/Cubs game. (Well, you know; attendance is what the Cubs do best! :D:)

I'd bet that Saturday's game will top that. In other words, be prepared for a BIG crowd!

SOXfnNlansing
03-18-2009, 09:30 PM
I can't wait. I've been packing & getting things done for the trip. I can't believe it's almost Friday! (that's when we fly out there).

manders_01
03-18-2009, 09:49 PM
I can't wait. I've been packing & getting things done for the trip. I can't believe it's almost Friday! (that's when we fly out there).

I know! I fly out on Friday morning as well. Even my boss is counting down the days for me! :bandance:

OK, let's try to get together in the parking lot. Saturday March 21 vs. Cubs. There will be 5 in our group, and we plan to be in the lot at 111th and Camelback, which is WEST of the lot at 107th and Camelback. I'm told it is much closer to the stadium entrance, and it is paved. (see the link below for reference).

We will have a grill, so feel free to bring anything you would like to cook, as well as drinks!

We will be in a van, but how can you find us? We'll tape a bunch of balloons to the top of the car! We'll be there by 11:00am. If you post here (or send me a PM) saying you are coming, I will send a PM with my cell number so you can contact me if necessary!

See you all there!

Link: http://www.mysportsscoop.com/v/?p=1835
Tip — don’t take the first parking entrance, just past 107th street. You’ll park in the dirt. (Unless, you want to park in dirt. if so, go for it.) Go to “Ballpark Boulevard,” west of the complex. You’ll be directed into a paved lot. It’s 5-bucks.

I need to check with my friend as she can't walk a lot or far distances. I'm afraid if you aren't parked near the accessible stalls (not saying you should try, just saying that will be a factor), we may not make it. Hopefully though, we will be able to join. I'll keep you posted.

roylestillman
03-23-2009, 11:23 AM
Just got back. Saw Saturday's mess of a game at Camelback, so let's just review the facility. Pleasantly surprised with the traffic. I thought it would be a nightmare with 13,000+ and running late. That second entrance trick is a good one, but you miss the outfield entrance.

Simply put, this is a major league park without an upper deck. I've never seen a more permanent looking Spring Training park. It almost is a little too good, taking away from that casual feel of ST, but I go back to the days of Payne Park in Sarasota, with the telephone pole wrapped in old tires in the middle of the first base coaches box. Architecturaly this beats them all and probably most big league parks as well. Big plus is the leg room in the rows. After the first couple of innings, we found that you don't even have to stand to allow people to get out of the row. Bad news? Don't get seats down the lines. I dont get why they can't angle seat toward the plate in a new stadium. Aisle traffic made it impossible to follow play.

We got back to the car and broke open the chairs and coolers after the game and within ten minutes the cops came by - but to our surprise told us "Just a reminder guys, the lot closes in an hour and a half."

Hitmen77
03-23-2009, 12:42 PM
For those who have been to Camelback:

How early before game time do the gates open? When is a good time to see Sox players practicing on the field before the game?

I_Liked_Manuel
03-23-2009, 06:51 PM
I went last week and saw the sox take on the giants and cubs. The sightlines and seating are as good as you could imagine they should be. The concessions were good - not a whole lot of choices - but what it had tasted well. But - it should have, because it was overpriced (along with everything else associated with the facility).

chuckn98229
03-25-2009, 12:04 PM
Made it to Camelback last Friday for the Giants game. Facility was great. Miller Light bottles were .50 cents more than at Peoria or Surprise parks. Traffic control after the game from the parking lot sucked big-time.

Chicken Dinner
03-26-2009, 12:49 AM
Made it to Camelback last Friday for the Giants game. Facility was great. Miller Light bottles were .50 cents more than at Peoria or Surprise parks. Traffic control after the game from the parking lot sucked big-time.

Where did you see Miller Lite bottles? I've only seen Bud products there.

MarySwiss
03-26-2009, 08:21 AM

That's what I thought, too, but there's a kiosk along the right field line that has Miller Lite--for $6.50 a bottle. At least it was there last Saturday. My first trip, someone told me they only had Bud, but then that was a guy selling Bud.

manders_01
03-26-2009, 01:43 PM

That's what I thought, too, but there's a kiosk along the right field line that has Miller Lite--for $6.50 a bottle. At least it was there last Saturday. My first trip, someone told me they only had Bud, but then that was a guy selling Bud.

I was able to get ML from the vendors walking around without a problem last Friday. When I asked on Saturday, they said they weren't allowed to sell it. According to the vendors I spoke to on Saturday, ML is a weekday only thing. Had no idea about the kiosk though - damn!

MarySwiss
03-26-2009, 06:04 PM
I was able to get ML from the vendors walking around without a problem last Friday. When I asked on Saturday, they said they weren't allowed to sell it. According to the vendors I spoke to on Saturday, ML is a weekday only thing. Had no idea about the kiosk though - damn!
Wait, didn't you have an ML when I finally found you up in the berm? I thought you did. Or is that why you hit me with a "WHERE DID YOU GET THAT!?!" when you saw me with one? :D:

BTW, I was not the only one feeling the sun that day. One of my coworkers, who is also a major fan, had third-row seats behind third base, and she had to leave in the sixth, She actually ran a fever and was out sick for the first two days this week. Since I've had heat stroke in the past, I know when to get the hell out of the sun. She didn't, but she does now. That desert sun can be brutal.

SOXfnNlansing
03-27-2009, 10:45 PM
Here's my review: Saturday was the largest crowd ever for a Cactus League game. Like many have posted here already, it is like a major league park without an upper deck. You are in Arizona, so the sun is everywhere. I found in section 110 row 17 sun free from before the 1st pitch to the end of the game. We sat there on Wed and Thursday for the whole game. On Saturday, everything was available to fans. On Wednesday vs the A's though, was a different story.

The Dodgers practice fields are open all the time to fans to watch practice and get autographs. The Sox fields are locked and unavailable due to lack of security guards (they told me so). Wednesday, we fans had to stand aside an 8' fence to see the team practice through another fence. Autographs were impossible to get. Brent Lillibridge did sign a ball for my wife along 1st base side before that game. My wife complained to security about not having the practice facilities open to the fans and I called Chicago to complain. On Thursday vs Arizona, they opened the practice fields at 930am and it was Heaven.

I'm telling you, if you never had access to MLB before, spring training when open to the public is an experience like no other. We got there at 9am, all the players file out of the clubhouse down a tunnel, and fans can stand and actually talk to them. I congratulated Jose for 5 fine innings of relief and he was really cool. We talked to all the players filing in and it was really exciting to hear them and they are actually talking to 'you'.

I just got back home a few hours ago, so I haven't had time to do anything besides unpack, but I will post links to the scores of great pictures I took while at Camelback.

After the team stretches on field #2, they take batting practice (around 945am). Harold came by where we were standing and was talking for about 10 minutes to fans. He is really cool and looks great for being 50. He signed a ball for my son. Robin Ventura was there as a visitor and signed a ball for me. I asked him if he was doing the booth and he said he was just a guest for the day. Ramirez was great with signing too. He doesn't speak , but he really takes his time signing balls to where you can actually read his signature perfectly. I was able to talk to JD for about 30 seconds about the upcoming season. He and Anderson think this is going to be a special season. Miller was really easy going too. The whole experience was worth the trip. All I can say is there was so much going on that I didn't write here that I definately recommend it to everyone to experience once if you can.

I got to meet and spend a little time with manders too on Saturday. I guess I just missed meeting maryswiss, but all the people I met were great. Westsider and his party were really cool too. Too bad no one else saw those balloons flying high in the parking lot.

Another observation: on high profile games for the Sox (and all Dodger games), all concessions are open. Sox week games, most of the concessions are not manned by venders, so you have to get beer/nachos at the permanent building structures. That park was clearly built for the Dodgers, and the Sox are just the 2nd team. There's no denying that, but we as fans are used to that treatment. Just look in the gift shop and you can tell. The Dodger's side has been made to be like Dodgertown in Florida. The park personnel have been instructed to cater to their fans. That is what an employee told me herself. I don't really care: it's better than going down to Tucson. I was in Tucson last Sunday and it was like being in another country (I'm just saying). We went to visit (her) family and I felt like I was on the moon down there. Lots of dust and tumbleweeds.

By the way, Goodyear stadium was another fabulous stadium to see. The Reds are going to be sharing that stadium with Cleveland next season.

MarySwiss
03-28-2009, 09:47 AM
Too bad no one else saw those balloons flying high in the parking lot.
We saw them, but after the miserable traffic and parking lot debacles, the game had already started, so I figured you guys were inside.

[quote=SOXfnNlansing;2181733] By the way, Goodyear stadium was another fabulous stadium to see. [quote]

Yes, I went to the Tribe/Sox game there. I thought it compared favorably with CR. Not nearly as luxurious, but it had a nice homey feel to it. (It also had cupholders, BTW, which CR doesn't.) And a big plus was the game wound up in a tie; the other two games I've been to were both losses.

I'm glad you had a good time. Did you ever get to Sedona?

SOXfnNlansing
03-28-2009, 12:57 PM
trying to figure out how to make a link for my pictures

(http://www.flickr.com/groups/1046996@N21/)

manders_01
03-28-2009, 01:03 PM
We saw them, but after the miserable traffic and parking lot debacles, the game had already started, so I figured you guys were inside.

Yes, I went to the Tribe/Sox game there. I thought it compared favorably with CR. Not nearly as luxurious, but it had a nice homey feel to it. (It also had cupholders, BTW, which CR doesn't.) And a big plus was the game wound up in a tie; the other two games I've been to were both losses.

So after the game on Friday I was speaking to a couple of the guest services guys (trying to drum up some business to be the architect who designs the new back stop for next season :D:) and I mentioned the cup holders. He said it was for budget purposes only, they just felt they didn't have the money for it. Of course, as a fan, I think we can all agree they should have spent the money on it. I would venture a guess that we will probably see them next season.

MarySwiss
03-28-2009, 02:59 PM
So after the game on Friday I was speaking to a couple of the guest services guys (trying to drum up some business to be the architect who designs the new back stop for next season :D:) and I mentioned the cup holders. He said it was for budget purposes only, they just felt they didn't have the money for it. Of course, as a fan, I think we can all agree they should have spent the money on it. I would venture a guess that we will probably see them next season.
Yeah, considering how much money they must have spent on that park, cheaping out on cupholders--which I think most people have come to take for granted--seems pretty dumb.

And good luck on landing that contract!

Edit: I forgot to mention, when I went to the Sox/Tribe game, my friend Kevin (the Tribe fan) pointed out that there are no cupholders for the end seats on the row, which can be problematic if the guys in seats 1 & 2 both want to use the cupholder that's between them.

Who ever would have thought cupholders would be so important? :tongue:

MarySwiss
03-28-2009, 03:01 PM
Here are some pictures I took from Spring Training.

pics (http://www.flickr.com/groups/1046996@N21/)

How do we get to see these?

SOXfnNlansing
03-28-2009, 10:56 PM
here are pics (http://photobucket.com/soxfnnlansing)from the week at Camelback.

SOXfnNlansing
03-28-2009, 10:58 PM

[quote=SOXfnNlansing;2181733] By the way, Goodyear stadium was another fabulous stadium to see. [quote]

We went on Monday. It was a really nice day up there. I put my pictures on something called photobucket. I hope it worked. The chapel was really cool.

SOXfnNlansing
03-28-2009, 11:50 PM
Someone can let me know if the new link works. I'm not really good at doing computer stuff.:scratch:

ChiSoxGirl
03-29-2009, 12:01 AM
Someone can let me know if the new link works. I'm not really good at doing computer stuff.:scratch:

The new link worked well; thanks for sharing! Seeing the sunshine and palm trees makes me so anxious for my trip to Florida in two weeks! :sunshine: