PDA

View Full Version : Newb here... Catchers

fezzik20
03-03-2009, 11:26 AM
Hey guys, new to the board. Just wanted to find out the consensus on what our backup catching situation is going to be this year?

Stewart, Miller, Armstrong, Flowers?

Seems like Armstrong might be one of the best candidates with the combination of his defense and offense. Thoughts?

sox1970
03-03-2009, 11:31 AM
Flowers--No, because he hasn't played a full season at AA, and he isn't a good catcher yet.

Armstrong--Probably not, because they want him to catch everyday at AAA, and he's a second lefty hitting catcher.

That leaves Miller and Stewart. I think one of the two will win the job. Miller has the early lead.

Oh--and Donny Lucy. Don't think so. Not sure if he's back from his injury that put him out last year.

whitesox901
03-03-2009, 12:11 PM
:welcome:

n00b :tongue:

fezzik20
03-03-2009, 03:43 PM
Flowers--No, because he hasn't played a full season at AA, and he isn't a good catcher yet.

Armstrong--Probably not, because they want him to catch everyday at AAA, and he's a second lefty hitting catcher.

That leaves Miller and Stewart. I think one of the two will win the job. Miller has the early lead.

Oh--and Donny Lucy. Don't think so. Not sure if he's back from his injury that put him out last year.

Thanks for the comments. Seems like from what I've read, Miller will win the job.

I am interested in Armstrong. It seems like he's got what it takes to be a starter (maybe with us, but possibly elsewhere). I've had a chance to follow him for a bit. Does he have a long-term future with the club? Or do you think Flowers is the man?

DumpJerry
03-03-2009, 03:46 PM
Kenny talks about Flowers the way Hawk talks about Carlos Gomez (yes, the Carlos Gomez who plays for the Twins). If the hype is true, then it looks like there are flowers blooming in the Sox' future.

But remember what Big Frank wrote on his shoes: "DBTH"

103 screwball
03-03-2009, 04:59 PM
Miller is winning from the limited action I've been able to follow. He threw out Pierre on the bases and has been hitting well. Stewart's D did not look so good. Admittedly there is plenty of more time to make the decision, but from what I've seen, Corky has a head start.