PDA

View Full Version : The Trib Is Back To Its Old Tricks

cards press box
03-01-2009, 09:24 PM
Here are the last two headlines from the Chicago Tribune regarding the White Sox games on Saturday and Sunday, respectively:

"Cubs 13, White Sox 0."

"Sox fans outnumbered at Camelback Ranch."

It appears that the Trib is channeling the WSI favorite thread -- "Official You Write Tommorrow's Cubune Headline."

WhiteSox1989
03-01-2009, 09:35 PM
I tell myself to not let it bother me. I had a couple friends send me text messages acting like they won the world series, but I ignored it.

It's stupid. It's Spring Training.

BleacherBandit
03-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Read the Sun-Times.

ChiSoxGirl
03-01-2009, 09:42 PM
I tell myself to not let it bother me. I had a couple friends send me text messages acting like they won the world series, but I ignored it.

It's stupid. It's Spring Training.

I'm with you. I really couldn't have cared less that the Cubs beat the Sox 13-0 yesterday; I totally shrugged it off. The way I see it, most of those runs were given up by guys who probably won't be on the Opening Day roster, and if they will be, they have five weeks to prove they can improve their stuff.

bradchifan3
03-01-2009, 09:42 PM
What is a newspaper?

veeter
03-01-2009, 09:48 PM
Mark Gonzalez has been great. The Trib's headline writers are a sad group of losers. They think they're funny. It's just so played out. It makes cub failures that much more fun.

WhiteSox5187
03-01-2009, 09:49 PM
Well, seeing as how the game didn't get out of hand until the late innings I don't understand what Cub fans are so excited about. Oh no! The Cubs non-roster invitees beat our non-roster invitees!

veeter
03-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Well, seeing as how the game didn't get out of hand until the late innings I don't understand what Cub fans are so excited about. Oh no! The Cubs non-roster invitees beat our non-roster invitees!It makes you realize that some people have no clue in regards to baseball.

Bucky F. Dent
03-01-2009, 11:12 PM
Read the Sun-Times.

Better yet, read Merkin

Ziggy S
03-01-2009, 11:33 PM
Did you ever think they're just writing these headlines to get a rise out of you guys? This is hilarious, but seriously I'm not laughing at you.

DrCrawdad
03-02-2009, 12:03 AM
Did you ever think they're just writing these headlines to get a rise out of you guys? This is hilarious, but seriously I'm not laughing at you.

I think that's probably the general consensus of Sox fans. Of course when called on it the Cubune denies it and then usually launches into another attack on Sox fans.

WhiteSox1989
03-02-2009, 12:09 AM
It makes you realize that some people have no clue in regards to baseball.
Basically, yeah.

LoveYourSuit
03-02-2009, 01:12 AM
Here are the last two headlines from the Chicago Tribune regarding the White Sox games on Saturday and Sunday, respectively:

a) "Cubs 13, White Sox 0."

b) "Sox fans outnumbered at Camelback Ranch."

It appears that the Trib is channeling the WSI favorite thread -- "Official You Write Tommorrow's Cubune Headline."

I don't get it.

a) Wasn't that the score of the game? Aren't they reporting the facts?

b) Another fact. We were outnumbered maybe because the Sox were not the Home Team for that game.

WhiteSox1989
03-02-2009, 01:26 AM
I just think it's dumb. All of it. Getting pissed over stuff like that in Spring Training is stupid.

What's even more stupid is Cubs fans acting like they won something important. It's obnoxious. But like I said, I try really hard to just ignore it. More important stuff to worry about.

I had about 15 people make comments to me last night because I was wearing a Sox shirt. But one of my Cubs fans friend was getting pissed that Cubs fans were talking **** already. In Spring Training. Not all of them are crazy. There's about 10% that are not. I swear. HAHA.

Now when the actual season starts, of course there will be nothing more important to worry about.:tongue:

LoveYourSuit
03-02-2009, 02:30 AM
I just think it's dumb. All of it. Getting pissed over stuff like that in Spring Training is stupid.

What's even more stupid is Cubs fans acting like they won something important. It's obnoxious. But like I said, I try really hard to just ignore it. More important stuff to worry about.

I had about 15 people make comments to me last night because I was wearing a Sox shirt. But one of my Cubs fans friend was getting pissed that Cubs fans were talking **** already. In Spring Training. Not all of them are crazy. There's about 10% that are not. I swear. HAHA.

Now when the actual season starts, of course there will be nothing more important to worry about.:tongue:

I agree.

Getting annoyed by this is pretty silly compared to the stuff which we will get come the regular season. Make no mistake, the Cubs will contend this year and be a good team. They will get circus coverage once again. I have learned to live with that.

Parrothead
03-02-2009, 07:32 AM
"Sox fans outnumbered at Camelback Ranch."

Did not see this coming? Sharing a place with the Dodgers, everyone had to know that the Sox were going to be second banana again.

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-02-2009, 08:25 AM
I was playing with my phone on Sat, saw the score, and moved on. My BIL made a comment about it - I said point blank, "I didn't know World Series trophies were handed out Feb 28 with non roster invitees and split squad schedules where games can end in a tie." Silence.

OTOH, the new facility looks great. Saw the game yesterday, and love hearing Stoney again.

cards press box
03-02-2009, 01:40 PM
I don't get it.

a) Wasn't that the score of the game? Aren't they reporting the facts?

b) Another fact. We were outnumbered maybe because the Sox were not the Home Team for that game.

Allow me to explain:

(a) The scores in spring training games -- especially ones in the first week -- are not particularly newsworthy. It's a spring training game, for crying out loud! The biggest story in that game was probably Jeff Marquez' two scoreless innings.

(b) What is newsworthy about the Dodgers having more fans at one of their home games? You do realize that: (1) teams sold spring training packages, (2) L.A. is relatively close to Phoenix, (3) this is the first season ever that the L.A. Dodgers have been in the Cactus League and (4) it was the opening game for the facility? One more thing -- the headline writer ignored Gordon Beckham's clutch homer and instead chose to play "the attendance card." Think they would have done the same thing if Cub phenom Josh Vitters had hit home run in a similar situation?

Do you see what is going on? The Trib -- well, at least the headline writers -- uses every excuse it gets to take shots at the White Sox.

thomas35forever
03-02-2009, 01:47 PM
I think it was in poor taste for the Tribune to write about the lack of Sox fans compared to Dodgers fans at yesterday's game. Maybe they've been spoiled by the fact that Cubs fans always outnumber Brewers fans in Milwaukee and think that visiting teams should always have an equal amount of fans compared to home fans.

bradchifan3
03-02-2009, 01:49 PM
I just saw the article in question and I LOL'd. Morrissey wrote an entire article about the Sox getting out drawn for a spring training road game. It's hysterical.

guillensdisciple
03-02-2009, 02:17 PM
I just saw the article in question and I LOL'd. Morrissey wrote an entire article about the Sox getting out drawn for a spring training road game. It's hysterical.

Does he have an e-mail address?

soxfan43
03-02-2009, 02:27 PM

Another reason why I hope he's the next "writer" to be bought out. His columns suck 99% of the time.

Woofer
03-02-2009, 02:32 PM
I don't think that this crap from the cubune will ever end. This years tone from them seems especially nasty. :angry: Considering that I subscribe, and they just raised their delivery rates about 35%, I might just have had enough from these clowns.

Lip Man 1
03-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Here you go:

rmorrissey@tribune.com

Lip

1908<2005
03-02-2009, 04:04 PM
Christ why are you all getting all pissy over this?

WhiteSoxFan84
03-02-2009, 06:10 PM
Slow news week folks. Don't get pissed off about nothing.

JB98
03-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Who gives a ****?

cub killer
03-03-2009, 03:02 AM
Very unprofessional. The idiots at the Trib act like children who look to demean a fellow classmate.

Even though sports are trivial, there is still a certain level of professionalism its journalists should adhere to.

Madscout
03-03-2009, 08:15 AM
I don't think that this crap from the cubune will ever end. This years tone from them seems especially nasty. :angry: Considering that I subscribe, and they just raised their delivery rates about 35%, I might just have had enough from these clowns.
They will when they can no longer run their business because revenue is down so bad.

oeo
03-03-2009, 08:29 AM
Well, seeing as how the game didn't get out of hand until the late innings I don't understand what Cub fans are so excited about. Oh no! The Cubs non-roster invitees beat our non-roster invitees!

I wouldn't care if they scored 13 runs in the first inning off of Buehrle. :shrug:

RedHeadPaleHoser
03-03-2009, 10:48 AM
While everyone is correct about it being a non issue, what happens for Thursday's paper since both teams are squaring off in Vegas? Maybe we'll be lucky because it's a late game but I would bet the $42 in my wallet that the Trib has an "extended late sports edition" to cover a Cubs victory. If the Sox win, my guess is it won't make it til Friday's paper.

Oh how I miss the TCH thread. :D:

JermaineDye05
03-05-2009, 11:02 AM
The top article on the site says "Cubs' Bradley says his good outweighs his bad" below that is "No fight when Cubs, Sox share flight" and then finally below that "Sox beat Cubs 7-6 in Las Vegas"

siugrad25
03-05-2009, 11:49 AM
The top article on the site says "Cubs' Bradley says his good outweighs his bad" below that is "No fight when Cubs, Sox share flight" and then finally below that "Sox beat Cubs 7-6 in Las Vegas"

I really try not to get into these conversations, but I noticed this myself today. The Trib did a good job last week when the Cubs won 13-1 (or whatever the score was).

guillensdisciple
03-05-2009, 12:55 PM
I didn't get that issue, but I would assume it was something of this sort:

CUBS BEAT SOX 13-0 WHILE SAVING WORLD FROM NUCLEAR WAR!!!

**** the trib.

daveeym
03-05-2009, 01:08 PM
The top article on the site says "Cubs' Bradley says his good outweighs his bad" below that is "No fight when Cubs, Sox share flight" and then finally below that "Sox beat Cubs 7-6 in Las Vegas"LOL, in the tribs Daywatch email the headline was "Sox Beat Cubs. But it was a close one."

JermaineDye05
03-05-2009, 10:53 PM
Idk why I expected anything else. Some of the top baseball headlines:

1) Cubs' Heilman gives another strong effort
2) Ex-Cubs farmhand looking for fresh start with White Sox
3) White Sox 4 Cubs 3

WhiteSox1989
03-06-2009, 12:20 AM
So it begins..

cards press box
03-06-2009, 09:41 AM
Idk why I expected anything else. Some of the top baseball headlines:

1) Cubs' Heilman gives another strong effort
2) Ex-Cubs farmhand looking for fresh start with White Sox
3) White Sox 4 Cubs 3

Let's see what the Trib had to say about yesterday's game in Las Vegas: (a) the top headline touts Aaron Heilman, (b) no mention of the equally strong performance of Sox starter Jeff Marquez (and actually all the Sox pitchers except Lucas Harrell), (c) great care to emphasize the fact that Josh Kroeger once played in the Cub system and (d) the score of the game buried at the bottom and not with the screaming headline from last Saturday.

The headline writers from Pravda would have been proud of this effort.

Who gives a ****?

Sox fans care because we know that the Trib and their headline writers are pushing propaganda and that is aggravating. I understand that the Trib (and other media outlets) think it is good business to cater to the whims of Cub fans but that raises a question: exactly what is the Trib's business? Is it journalism or just marketing?

I remember Bill Veeck absolutely losing it when the Trib gave the top headline to Ken Holtzman's first game for the Cubs after his return to Chicago in 1978.* Why? Because the Sox pitcher Jim Willoughby beat Boston 1-0 that night and that game got the smaller headline and print space. The Trib, you see, has been at this game for a while. What did the Who say? "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."

* Holtzman joined the 1978 Cubs in mid-season and went 0-3 with a 6.11 ERA.

cws05champ
03-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Let's see what the Trib had to say about yesterday's game in Las Vegas: (a) the top headline touts Aaron Heilman, (b) no mention of the equally strong performance of Sox starter Jeff Marquez (and actually all the Sox pitchers except Lucas Harrell), (c) great care to emphasize the fact that Josh Kroeger once played in the Cub system and (d) the score of the game buried at the bottom and not with the screaming headline from last Saturday.

As opposed to the Daily Herald that has the headline: "Marquez, Heilman each pitch well in Sox victory"

It's not just about the unbalenced coverage here and there. It's the constant slight by the local and national media that just wears on you.