PDA

View Full Version : Early Reviews on Hawk and Stoney?

Whitesox029
03-01-2009, 04:17 PM
For those of you also watching, for the benefit of those who can't, what do you think so far?
Hawk's his usual self. It was kind of awkward the first couple innings but I think they're meshing well since then.

LoveYourSuit
03-01-2009, 04:23 PM
For those of you also watching, for the benefit of those who can't, what do you think so far?
Hawk's his usual self. It was kind of awkward the first couple innings but I think they're meshing well since then.

I will reserve judgment until the Sox face the Twins and the Gomez ass kissing hour begins.

Thome_Fan
03-01-2009, 04:25 PM
I like them together a lot. Stoney does the opposite of DJ, keeping Hawk more on topic and in the game. I'm enjoying it.

DumpJerry
03-01-2009, 04:47 PM
I will reserve judgment until the Sox face the Twins and the Gomez ass kissing hour begins.
When the Twins come here in April, they will have to put the broadcast on seven second delay because Stone is liable to say "where the **** did you get that **** from?" when Hawk starts to get all poetic about Gomez.....

Rohan
03-01-2009, 04:49 PM
haha...
The first couple twins games are not family friendly.

soltrain21
03-01-2009, 04:49 PM
It's pretty hard to judge a spring training broadcast.

tstrike2000
03-01-2009, 05:18 PM
When the Twins come here in April, they will have to put the broadcast on seven second delay because Stone is liable to say "where the **** did you get that **** from?" when Hawk starts to get all poetic about Gomez.....

Unfortunately, it doesn't end there. I think Hawk and Ron Gardenhose secretly go fishing and golfing together during the winter months.

Frontman
03-01-2009, 05:49 PM
I think they did well for a ST game. I think that when they do get away from in-game discussions; Stone will get them back on track OR outdo Harrelson with interesting conversation. I think Steve has his own share of interesting moments from his career and enjoys sharing them.

I certainly appreciated hearing them today, and I'm disappointed its almost two full weeks before we see another ST game.

BainesHOF
03-01-2009, 07:36 PM
The problem I have with Stone is he talks ALL THE TIME. With Hawk it's even worse because it sounds like he's either trying to compete or keep up with Hawk. The result is a dense broadcast featuring constant chatter. It's too much.

Jurr
03-01-2009, 08:13 PM
The problem I have with Stone is he talks ALL THE TIME. With Hawk it's even worse because it sounds like he's either trying to compete or keep up with Hawk. The result is a dense broadcast featuring constant chatter. It's too much.
It's very dense. Good word. When DJ was here, Hawk would go on and on. DJ would agree and not go into long, drawn out explanations. Stone has a lot to say about everything. It will be a very informative season, but I hope they stay on task with the calling of the game.

veeter
03-01-2009, 08:44 PM
I like them together a lot. Stoney does the opposite of DJ, keeping Hawk more on topic and in the game. I'm enjoying it.I agree. In fact Stoney's saving Hawks name. The last couple of years I think Hawk has been unlistenable at times. Stoney is keeping me from the mute button.

soltrain21
03-01-2009, 08:53 PM
It's very dense. Good word. When DJ was here, Hawk would go on and on. DJ would agree and not go into long, drawn out explanations. Stone has a lot to say about everything. It will be a very informative season, but I hope they stay on task with the calling of the game.

I'd rather hear Stone talk about the intricacies of the game. I don't really need to know that Josh Fields grounded out, I think I can pick that up myself.

Ideally there will be a middle ground.

gosox41
03-01-2009, 08:54 PM
I like them together a lot. Stoney does the opposite of DJ, keeping Hawk more on topic and in the game. I'm enjoying it.

It's easier for Stoney to do that then it was for DJ since Stoney is a far better announcer and has a far better reputation then Hawk in the broadcast booth. Stoney won't put up with the crap DJ was forced to.

Bob

Danryan
03-01-2009, 08:54 PM
What is there not to like? Stone is a true professional, and Hawk is consistent. If you don't like Hawk's style no partner will change his approach. I happened to enjoy the first broadcast. The conversation flowed smooth considering the game was rather boring.

pistolesatdawn
03-01-2009, 09:25 PM
What is there not to like? Stone is a true professional, and Hawk is consistent. If you don't like Hawk's style no partner will change his approach. I happened to enjoy the first broadcast. The conversation flowed smooth considering the game was rather boring.

Agreed. I didn't get to watch too much, but what I was able to catch I enjoyed immensely. First rate in my opinion.

9in'59
03-02-2009, 09:36 AM
Once they find their comfort zones, this will be baseball broadcasting at its best. If they don't....

beasly213
03-02-2009, 10:13 AM
Hard to judge spring training but I enjoyed it. However Stone gets on my nerves sometimes as he comes off as a know it all.

soxinem1
03-02-2009, 10:20 AM

One of the issues with Hawk is that he babbles on about 400 topics not related to the game that is going on. If it wasn't for commercial breaks, the one-sided discussion would carry on for the entire broadcast.

In his defense, Hawk knows how to keep a dull game going, like yesterday, or keep you watching if the White Sox are down big early. And even in a well-played game by the White Sox, his rah-rah speeches are better than any of the corporate sounding announcers who are afraid to offend anyone.

Stone, unlike DJ and Paciorek, will take the mike and change the tempo or topic in a second. He did it with Harry all the time, especially when Harry was incoherent. He would swoop in and save him over and over.

But one thing Stone will do that DJ and Paciorek did not is to take airtime from Hawk. That is where the fun will be!!!

Medford Bobby
03-02-2009, 08:24 PM
One of the issues with Hawk is that he babbles on about 400 topics not related to the game that is going on. If it wasn't for commercial breaks, the one-sided discussion would carry on for the entire broadcast.

In his defense, Hawk knows how to keep a dull game going, like yesterday, or keep you watching if the White Sox are down big early. And even in a well-played game by the White Sox, his rah-rah speeches are better than any of the corporate sounding announcers who are afraid to offend anyone.

Stone, unlike DJ and Paciorek, will take the mike and change the tempo or topic in a second. He did it with Harry all the time, especially when Harry was incoherent. He would swoop in and save him over and over.

But one thing Stone will do that DJ and Paciorek did not is to take airtime from Hawk. That is where the fun will be!!!
We can never get enough talk about the Verducci Bros.:angry:

Nellie_Fox
03-03-2009, 12:15 AM
I didn't know the game was on MLB Net until I stumbled on it in the late innings. Once again, I had the problem of so much crowd mic being dialed in that I could hear the PA announcer and vendors in the aisles much better than I could hear Hawk and Stone. There were times when I could barely tell they were talking, and had no hope of understanding them.

So, I don't know how they did. :angry:

HebrewHammer
03-03-2009, 12:40 AM
As one of the few ex-pat Sox fans in Korea, I rely on MLB.TV for my daily dose. I am looking forward to a Hawk/Stone booth. I've enjoyed watching DJ mature as a broadcaster over the years, but he was about as good as he was going to get with Hawk. He needed to move on to continue to develop as a broadcaster.

Steve Stone still has his fastball. He's always been excellent at breaking down pitching and quick with his one liners. Hawk is still Hawk. He's a total homer, but he's OUR total homer. Either you appreciate his schtick or you don't. It's really that simple.

Listening to yesterday's broadcast, it felt like they were still feeling each other out during the first few innings. Stone isn't afraid to talk. There were times that DJ was afraid to talk and that made some of the awkward silences more awkward. I thought the two worked well and played off of each other, but it will be interesting to see what happens when the team goes through a rough stretch. If Hawk stops talking, will Stone play along or try to fill the dead air? We'll see.

hawkjt
03-03-2009, 02:50 AM
I think Stoney is a bit more clued into MLB as a whole and maybe he will work in a little more news of the day around the league thereby reducing the Hawk story time a bit. Ok by me.

I think they should be solid...as long as the Sox are decent. Hawk cannot deal with an out of contention horrible team like in 07 again.