PDA

View Full Version : Changes in MLB if you were commish?

cws05champ
02-27-2009, 04:35 PM
With the start of the season just around the corner I was thinking of things in MLB that I would change if I was commissioner. Now this would be a list of things that I would try to change if there were no complications with the players union and the collective bargaining agreement. Clearly there are always are complications and negotiating that has to be done in the current set up, so I put that caveat in here. This is a bit of a book so read at your on risk:

Draft

1) Draft Slotting system: The draft has become a bit of a joke because of the bonus demands by some players. This subsequently has allowed teams with more money to draft talented guys later in the draft for more money. The rich get richer once again. If MLB had a hard slotting system for players in the draft per round and spot, that would solve most of this. Now in reality the # of arbitration years would probably have to be reduced at the Major league level allowing players to get to Free Agency sooner.
2) Change draft pick compensation: The Type A and B free agents seemed like a good idea at the time but we have seen this offseason it has had some negative effects. This offseason we see the Yankees sign three major Type A free agents. This really screws a team like the Brewers that should have received a 1st round pick and a 1st round sandwich pick. Now they will only receive a sandwich pick and a 3rd round pick. The Yankees really should forfeit a 1st round pick next year to the Brewers instead of the 3rd round pick this year. Also we have seen Type A players value negatively affected in free agency. This is a pretty complex issue and I’m not sure of a viable solution.
3) All International players need to go through the draft system. I know this is not as simple as just saying it. There are a lot of legal issues and complexities involved in this. I know some teams scout more in other countries and sign diamonds in the rough, but I believe that all players that want to play in the majors should have to apply to be draft eligible. The case of Daisuke Matsuzaka is the glaring example. How many teams can afford to put up $50M just to talk to a guy about a contract?

Scheduling/Games

1) Make the All-Star game an exhibition again: I know I’m not the only one that thinks it is ridiculous that an exhibition game decides home field advantage in the most important games of the season. “This time it counts” was a knee jerk reaction to the All-Star tie and that experiment needs to go bye bye. Ties can be avoided if you expand the roster to include more pitchers. Which brings me to my next point:
2) Home field in World Series goes to best record: Old Bud will give you a litany of logistical reasons why this can not be done, but if the NHL and NBA can do it with a similar playoff format, so can baseball.
3) Scale down interleague play: I still enjoy interleague play a bit but I think they need to reduce the “rivalry games” to just one series instead of two. I only need to see the Cubs & Sox play one series each year…or just do a two and two series to reduce the overall impact on the schedule. Interleague play should be re-evaluated every year.
4) Mandatory one scheduled double header per team per month: Whether it’s a split double header to keep revenue the same or a traditional DH, they need to start scheduling these. This would reduce the season by a week and allow to the playoffs to start the last week of Sept. This would reduce the possibility of a snow delayed World Series with the series scheduled for November this year. Scheduling DH would also be a bonus for the fans during the regular season.
5) Playoff games need to start no later than 8 EST. How are kids supposed to see these exciting games and promote the game if they are finishing at 12:30 am?

Salary Cap/ Revenue structure

1) No Salary Cap, but different revenue sharing system: I know this is a controversial subject, but this is just my opinion. I believe that a Salary cap is not needed. I mean the Yankees have spent like drunken sailors but have not won the ultimate prize. However, they have put themselves in a good position to win every year. I believe that if these three things are done it would improve the system; 1) Make the penalty for going over the luxury tax very severe. 2) Make the luxury tax threshold lower. As of now I believe only three to four teams have gone over the tax threshold. 3) Any team that gets money from the luxury tax revenue sharing needs to spend that money on players’ salary, not pocket the money. I’m not saying this would make the system perfect but just better. And I'm sure all of you can come up with good suggestions as well.

2) I think with the convergence of TV and internet there exists a long term opportunity to have local TV contracts as shared revenue across the league as the NFL has right now. I understand the leagues are two different beasts but long term I think this can be done. The high revenue teams will fight it but long term I believe it will help even the playing field.

That’s it…sorry for the book, but I had this on my mind and thought I’d get it out there. What would you change?

WhiteSox5187
02-27-2009, 07:11 PM
I'd raise the mound back to its pre-1969 height. I'd have the WBC take place every four years during a week long all star break and would reduce the schedule to 154 games. Also on weekends in October, the games would start at around 2pm EST.

Frater Perdurabo
02-27-2009, 09:23 PM
Ban artificial playing surfaces (turf)
Raise the mound
Worldwide amateur draft
Revenue sharing, salary cap and salary floor
Rulebook strikezone with "over the plate" judged electronically
Questionable fair/foul HRs subject to instant replay review
DH in both leagues
Move Astros to AL West to make six divisions of five teams
Interleague play throughout the season
All MLB games available on free TV every day
30-man active rosters
Saturday doubleheaders in June, July and August
Arrange schedule to minimize April games in cold weather cities

BleacherBandit
02-27-2009, 09:42 PM

How would grass work in domed stadiums?

Daver
02-27-2009, 10:08 PM
The scheduled double header became extinct with the advent of the five man rotation for a reason. I doubt it will ever return.

Frater Perdurabo
02-27-2009, 10:10 PM

That's for Tampa and Toronto to find out and make happen. :D:

Frater Perdurabo
02-27-2009, 10:10 PM
The scheduled double header became extinct with the advent of the five man rotation for a reason. I doubt it will ever return.

That's why I call for a 30-man roster. And to help pitchers, the mound gets raised.

getonbckthr
02-27-2009, 10:17 PM
Raise the mound
Worldwide amateur draft
Revenue sharing, salary cap and salary floor
Rulebook strikezone with "over the plate" judged electronically
Questionable fair/foul HRs subject to instant replay review
DH in both leagues
Interleague play throughout the season
All MLB games available on free TV every day
30-man active rosters
You want interleague all season?

sullythered
02-27-2009, 10:20 PM
While we were still in the steriod era, I wanted the mound raised. Now, I think it's fine where it is. I mean, the AL home run king last year had only 37. Things seem to have naturally evened back out. I like all those other ideas, though.

Ragator43
02-27-2009, 10:25 PM

It works for football.

http://www.bdsglobal.com/images/stadium-11.jpg

PKalltheway
02-27-2009, 10:25 PM
Look at what Frater said right under the part you just bolded.:tongue:

EnglishChiSox
02-27-2009, 10:31 PM
It works for football.

http://www.bdsglobal.com/images/stadium-11.jpg

Because they can have the grass grow all week and come the weekend can take it back in UoP stadium, if that was a Baseball field they'd have to take it out after the game each night and put it back in in the afternoon the next day, i'm not sure the Grass could take that much hassle.

DH in both leagues

I agree with these, but they're common sense. The DH should be standardized, either everyone has it or none at all.

HomeFish
02-28-2009, 01:13 AM
I would make it so that a run caused by a pitcher's fielding error is an earned run.

whitesox901
02-28-2009, 01:56 AM
- Add DH in both leagues
- Re-align divisions for Six five team division's
- Shorten the schedule (day wise) by having more day/night Sunday or Saturday double headers

Frater Perdurabo
02-28-2009, 07:46 AM

Yes. Just spread it out so there's at least one interleague series going on every day. Sometimes there will be more than one going on, sometimes only one.

Frater Perdurabo
02-28-2009, 07:47 AM
I would make it so that a run caused by a pitcher's fielding error is an earned run.

That's a good rule.

I'd also want "inherited runners allowed to score" to be kept as a statistic. This measure would be perhaps more useful for assessing a reliever's effectiveness.

Bucky F. Dent
02-28-2009, 11:14 AM
No domes
mandate natural grass at all stadiums
DH in both leagues
Move Houston to the AL West
Reinstitute the double header
eliminate interleague play
bring back afternoon playoff games

johnnyg83
02-28-2009, 11:39 AM
No jewelry.

Madscout
02-28-2009, 11:42 AM
Any new stadiums that are north of St. Louis are retracitable roof stadiums (especially Minny)
Cap a single offseason free agent spending (so the haves can't just go out and buy themselves a team)
Even out the divisons or possibly go to 8- 4 team divisions.
Unstigmatize interleague play such that it is more NFL style.
Shorten the season back to 154
Introduce a cap at the bottom and the top

DSpivack
02-28-2009, 11:43 AM
No jewelry.

:?:

Would you ban married players from playing, or make them take off their wedding bands before games?

johnnyg83
02-28-2009, 11:45 AM
I'd be surprised if they play with them now.

But my comment was more about earrings and those ridiculous necklaces.

DSpivack
02-28-2009, 11:56 AM
I'd be surprised if they play with them now.

But my comment was more about earrings and those ridiculous necklaces.

Why do you care if they're wearing jewelry or not?

getonbckthr
02-28-2009, 12:11 PM
Look at what Frater said right under the part you just bolded.:tongue:
::in Tommy Boy Voice:: shut up Richard! ::end Tommy Boy Voice::

Daver
02-28-2009, 12:14 PM
Introduce a cap at the bottom and the top

So you want to punish the small market teams and increase the profit margins on the large market teams?

TDog
02-28-2009, 12:18 PM
This is all very unrealistic, and not because Bud Selig is a wimp.

Many of the changes suggested here aren't in the commissioner's power to effect. Specifically, unilaterally restricting team spending on players and changing free agent and draft rules would violate the collective bargaining agreement. The agreement also affects scheduling in the respect that it addresses working conditions. In the early 1970s, for example, the agreement forbid teams from scheduling doubleheaders the day after night games. I'm not sure where the current agreement stands pertaining to doubleheaders, but I believe the player's union has to approve the schedule.

When you had a strong commissioner acting for the benefit of the owners to limit what players could earn, players had a weak, almost token union. Now that players have a strong union, there is no way even a strong commissioner could violate agreements negotiated with players.

johnnyg83
02-28-2009, 12:43 PM
on one level it distracts from the uniform on another I think 99 out of 100 times it look silly.

RedPinStripes
02-28-2009, 03:04 PM
Dream world here:

5mill over one season max per player and tickets back down to 10.00 max. 5 mill is plenty to live off of.

I want Mags back
02-28-2009, 04:49 PM
6 5 team divisions
1 interleague series always happening

No black alternates if black is not a team's primary color (I'm looking at you, NYM)

DoItForDanPasqua
03-01-2009, 01:12 AM
Two divisions and two wild cards in each league.

Abolish interleague play.

Award DoItForDanPasqua free season tickets to scout seats.

Eliminate the DH and make it a crime for anyone to ever speak of it again.

End the incessant noise between pitches and fan-o-meters.

DoItForDanPasqua
03-01-2009, 01:17 AM
Dream world here:

5mill over one season max per player and tickets back down to 10.00 max. 5 mill is plenty to live off of.

I don't see a connection. Owners of baseball teams, just like any company, will charge whatever they feel they can get. Baseball's popularity makes ticket prices high. If all of a sudden salaries were lower, I can't see the owners passing the savings on to the fans when they can be pocketing it or giving it to their investors. Call it greed or the free market or whatever.

Bucky F. Dent
03-01-2009, 05:30 PM
End the incessant noise between pitches and fan-o-meters.

If we do nothing else. This MUST occur.

FloridaTigers
03-02-2009, 01:02 AM
1) No more interleague. I feel interleague cheapens the All-Star game and even the World Series. The leagues were supposed to be completely distinct and different, thus making these two events notable. Now with all these interleague games, its just not the same. The gimmick is over, the fans lost after the strike are all back. Time to move on.

2) Return to the two divisions. Top 2 teams make the playoffs, so there is still an ALDS. Winnner and a wildcard in each of the four divisions.

3) More day games in the World Series. Ratings are already poor, why not try to go a different route and do somthing different?

4) More doubleheaders. Nuff said.

bradchifan3
03-02-2009, 01:42 AM
1) No more interleague. I feel interleague cheapens the All-Star game and even the World Series. The leagues were supposed to be completely distinct and different, thus making these two events notable. Now with all these interleague games, its just not the same. The gimmick is over, the fans lost after the strike are all back. Time to move on.

2) Return to the two divisions. Top 2 teams make the playoffs, so there is still an ALDS. Winnner and a wildcard in each of the four divisions.

3) More day games in the World Series. Ratings are already poor, why not try to go a different route and do somthing different?

4) More doubleheaders. Nuff said.

World Series day games? :scratch:

No one would be able to watch.

WhiteSox5187
03-02-2009, 01:54 AM
World Series day games? :scratch:

No one would be able to watch.
On the weekends people would.

DSpivack
03-02-2009, 02:09 AM
On the weekends people would.

When college football is on or when the NFL is on?

WhiteSox5187
03-02-2009, 03:04 AM
When college football is on or when the NFL is on?
The World Series gets low ratings when going up against "When Animal Attack 3", so it will still get out watched by football. But the hope is that more people would care to watch the World Series on weekends when they are normally watching TV rather than Alabama State v. Florida Tech.

If it's going to be out watched, you might as well put it on at a time when more people are watching TV than not.

Madscout
03-02-2009, 09:18 AM
So you want to punish the small market teams and increase the profit margins on the large market teams?
Obviously a revamped revenue sharing policy would be needed, but thanks for keeping me honest.

russ99
03-02-2009, 10:12 AM

Good luck with that. There's no way the Astros will go for it. Besides the considerable added travel expenses, a large majority of their road games would then be at 9PM.

Plus they'd have to give up their rivalries with St. Louis, the Cubs and the Reds. Just to add the Rangers? I don't think so.

Besides, the optimal movement would be Milwaukee to the AL and the Twins or Royals (who already have a typical AL roster) to the AL West. If they're seriously ready take a bold step like that, we really should move towards 4 divisions per league and either an expanded Wild Card or no Wild Card.

My only commissioner for a day steps:

Salary cap and floor, with 2-3 cap exempt players per club, possibly grandfathered in with more exemptions, which is the only way the Union would go for that.

World Anti-Doping Agency compliant drug policy/testing put in place with stiffer penalies, such as 1 year for first offenders, banning for a 2nd offense. That would weed out the cheaters.

7 game Playoffs and World Series, with 2 day games per playoff series.

Daver
03-02-2009, 11:06 AM
Salary cap and floor, with 2-3 cap exempt players per club, possibly grandfathered in with more exemptions, which is the only way the Union would go for that.

So you also want to punish the small market teams and increase profit margins for the large market teams?

doublem23
03-02-2009, 11:11 AM
That's a good rule.

I'd also want "inherited runners allowed to score" to be kept as a statistic. This measure would be perhaps more useful for assessing a reliever's effectiveness.

They do keep that stat, it's just not as usually referenced as say, W-L or ERA because people in the 1880s didn't deem it important, so it obviously must not be.

Frater Perdurabo
03-02-2009, 11:13 AM
They do keep that stat, it's just not as usually referenced as say, W-L or ERA because people in the 1880s didn't deem it important, so it obviously must not be.

I realize that that stat is kept.

I guess I should have re-phrased my demand to say that all stat sites meant for fans should keep that stat regularly accessible next to ERA, W-L record and saves.

:tongue:

Frater Perdurabo
03-02-2009, 11:21 AM
Good luck with that. There's no way the Astros will go for it. Besides the considerable added travel expenses, a large majority of their road games would then be at 9PM.

Plus they'd have to give up their rivalries with St. Louis, the Cubs and the Reds. Just to add the Rangers? I don't think so.

Besides, the optimal movement would be Milwaukee to the AL and the Twins or Royals (who already have a typical AL roster) to the AL West. If they're seriously ready take a bold step like that, we really should move towards 4 divisions per league and either an expanded Wild Card or no Wild Card.

I intended to post short lines to describe changes I'd make. Moving Houston involved the fewest steps. Of course they don't want to play more West Coast games. Who does? It wouldn't be as much of an issue if MLB had a balanced schedule. But if you want to talk serious realignment, I have plenty of ideas. I just didn't want to spam up this thread with my suggestions and the countless rebuttals such suggestions would elicit.

Frater Perdurabo
03-02-2009, 11:31 AM

I intended to post short lines to describe sweeping changes. Moving Houston involved the fewest steps. Of course they don't want to play more West Coast games. Who does? It wouldn't be as much of an issue if MLB had a balanced schedule. But if you want to talk serious realignment, I have plenty of ideas. I just didn't want to spam up this thread with my suggestions and the countless rebuttals such suggestions would elicit.

TDog
03-02-2009, 02:21 PM

People in the 1880s didn't deem earned run averages to be important and had not concept of earned runs. The National League started calculating ERAs in 1912, naming the stat after the league president who came up with it. The American League adoted the rule in 1913, but referred to it as earned run average.

WhiteSoxJunkie
03-02-2009, 11:43 PM
Shorten the season to 148 games so that it ends in mid September
Divisional Series is best of 7
No domes
No game can start after 9pm local time
Fake to third, throw to first is a balk
World Series home field advantage determined by which team won more interleague games
All stadiums must have a 5 foot gap between the wall and the first row of seats to eliminate fan interference
Pitchers cannot win the MVP. They have their own award.
Maple bats are illegal

PaleHoser
03-03-2009, 12:39 AM
1. Ban Bud Selig.
2. Dump the DH.
3. Lifetime ban for use of PEDs not available at GNC (does not include beer).
4. Pitchers must throw one complete inning, or minimum of five hitters before being replaced except in case of injury. If you can't get three outs out of five hitters consistently, you shouldn't be a major league pitcher.
5. Ban naming rights for MLB stadiums.
6. Contract the Twins. That was probably the only good idea Selig has ever come up with.

Lip Man 1
03-03-2009, 12:15 PM
I can think of a ton but these to me are the most important.

1. DH or no DH, I don't care, but both leagues will play by the same rules.

2. Season starts no earlier then April 15th and ends no later then the 3rd week of September. Season is shortened down to about 130-135 games.

3. Revenue sharing money can only be used to improve the team on the field, in other words it will go towards getting players to help the bottom feeders improve in the standings and at the gate.

4. Interleague play will either be ended OR a balanced interleague schedule will be used. Teams will no longer be given an edge because they play more worse teams then others in their division.

5. At least one World Series game will be played in the afternoon.

Lip

jabrch
03-03-2009, 06:00 PM
There are many - but #1 I'd push to go to an NFL contract structure. No guaranteeed deals. Earn your keep every season.

Daver
03-03-2009, 06:14 PM
There are many - but #1 I'd push to go to an NFL contract structure. No guaranteeed deals. Earn your keep every season.

The MLBPA would want an end to arbitration and an abolition of the service time required for free agency at least in return for that, and probably more. They fought the owners tooth and nail to keep the owners from robbing their salary structure with a salary cap, what you are proposing here is far more serious than that.