PDA

View Full Version : Manny being Manny. Turns down fourth offer from Dodgers

DumpJerry
02-27-2009, 07:38 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9271196/Manny-turns-down-Dodgers%27-latest-offer?MSNHPHMA

25M with option in 2010.

Maybe the Dodgers need to see the movie "He's Just not that Into You."

Rohan
02-27-2009, 07:39 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9271196/Manny-turns-down-Dodgers%27-latest-offer?MSNHPHMA

25M with option in 2010.

Manny needs a therapy.

aryzner
02-27-2009, 07:43 AM
I guess I can understand it if he just does not want to play for the Dodgers.

I can't understand it if he thinks that it's not enough money and/or years in this market.

veeter
02-27-2009, 07:43 AM
:thud:

soxfan21
02-27-2009, 07:48 AM
If he did not accept this offer because of the money, it is rediculous especially with the way the economy is going now a days. I know he is a good player and all, but come on.

tstrike2000
02-27-2009, 07:52 AM
What the hell does he want then?

skobabe8
02-27-2009, 07:54 AM
He's making an entire organization get on their knees and beg. When do you sacrifice winning baseball games to keep some measure of dignity and pride?

RedHeadPaleHoser
02-27-2009, 08:00 AM
He's making an entire organization get on their knees and beg.

Welcome to the world of the 21st century athlete. That is a general statement, I know....

Mr.1Dog
02-27-2009, 08:14 AM
What an ass hat. The Dodgers should pick up their skirt grab their balls and stop begging. Have some dignity and let him walk. I know he is a dangerous hitter but is $40,000,000 really worth it for these antics which are getting old?

beasly213
02-27-2009, 08:33 AM
It's time the Dodgers say fine if you don't take this offer we're not offering another one and go find another team.

SoxyStu
02-27-2009, 08:54 AM
Maybe he's biding his time until ST is further along as he never was a sport about showing up on time. If this were the case, though, I would imagine the rejection of this offer would have come after a few days, not so soon.

chisox616
02-27-2009, 08:56 AM
I guess by now it's kind of obvious that he wants at least 3 years or something. Or he just wants to wait till some team REALLY needs him mid season and he'll make a fortune. Either way, what a douche.

guillensdisciple
02-27-2009, 09:34 AM
This is insane. I have never seen a baseball player love himself as much as Manny. He is either delusional, or he wants to play for a specific team, and for less money.

I don't see him ever giving up the money, so I am going to assume he wants to prove that he is better then A- Rod by getting more money than him.

veeter
02-27-2009, 09:39 AM
The root of this bull**** is Boras. Screw both of those guys. The only reason I want Manny to sign with the Dodgers, is to be thorn in the cubs' side. Now I couldn't care less what that walking rectum does.

guillensdisciple
02-27-2009, 09:41 AM
The root of this bull**** is Boras. Screw both of those guys. The only reason I want Manny to sign with the Dodgers, is to be thorn in the cubs' side. Now I couldn't care less what that walking rectum does.

I am sure you and I both understand the consequences of that signing. The media would be bleeding Cubs colors until they get swept in the first round of the playoffs.

I shudder at the thought of him signing with them- oh man, I wouldn't be able to watch any national or local television.

dickallen15
02-27-2009, 09:48 AM
I was reading something the other day that basically said if Manny had exactly the same career and had the personality of a guy like Jim Thome, he would probably get $15-18 million a year. Being an idiot is actually getting him extra cash, if he's willing to sign. I'd love it if every team just said no.

DSpivack
02-27-2009, 10:01 AM
I was reading something the other day that basically said if Manny had exactly the same career and had the personality of a guy like Jim Thome, he would probably get $15-18 million a year. Being an idiot is actually getting him extra cash, if he's willing to sign. I'd love it if every team just said no.

That makes zero sense to me. He gets paid because he's a fantastic hitter.

doublem23
02-27-2009, 10:06 AM

Well that only makes sense because if he had the same kind of career as Thome, he'd only be worth $15-$18 max, but since he's a waaaaaaaay better hitter than Thome ever was, he should reasonably expect more money.

kittle42
02-27-2009, 10:09 AM
Manny's the kind of guy who would sit out the whole year just to try to prove the point that he is worth more.

dickallen15
02-27-2009, 10:13 AM
That makes zero sense to me. He gets paid because he's a fantastic hitter.
But his market value isn't $25 million a year. Teams actually have to pay him more to keep him happy. If he was a good guy like Thome and everything else was exactly the same, he probably wouldn't get a 2 year $45 million offer.

asindc
02-27-2009, 10:18 AM
Maybe he's biding his time until ST is further along as he never was a sport about showing up on time. If this were the case, though, I would imagine the rejection of this offer would have come after a few days, not so soon.

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

dickallen15
02-27-2009, 10:18 AM
Well that only makes sense because if he had the same kind of career as Thome, he'd only be worth $15-$18 max, but since he's a waaaaaaaay better hitter than Thome ever was, he should reasonably expect more money.
That wasn't the point. Its not comparing Thome and Manny's performance or skill level. Its only if his personality was like Thome's, he wouldn't be getting the offers he's getting. They would actually be quite lower. The threat of Manny being a problem has made him some money if he wants to sign. Just remember, this is a very suppressed market and Manny will be 37 in a couple of months. He's being offered 4 or 5 times what Abreu is getting. Manny is a lot better than Bobby Abreu, but not $20 million a year better.

Steelrod
02-27-2009, 10:25 AM
Manny's the kind of guy who would sit out the whole year just to try to prove the point that he is worth more.
Let him!
I am so very tired of this one dimentional, self serving idiot and his agent. If his market is so good, where's the other bidders. He is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay. Boras killed Crede by not negotiating a multi-year contract. I'd love to see him mess up Manny by holding out!

Iwritecode
02-27-2009, 10:57 AM

I am sure you and I both understand the consequences of that signing. The media would be bleeding Cubs colors until they get swept in the first round of the playoffs.

I shudder at the thought of him signing with them- oh man, I wouldn't be able to watch any national or local television.

I think you mis-read his post.

CWSpalehoseCWS
02-27-2009, 10:58 AM
What an idiot. At this point, I hope nobody signs him not only this year, but for the rest of his career.

guillensdisciple
02-27-2009, 11:14 AM
I think you mis-read his post.

Ahhh crap. You get a touche.

DSpivack
02-27-2009, 11:40 AM
But his market value isn't $25 million a year. Teams actually have to pay him more to keep him happy. If he was a good guy like Thome and everything else was exactly the same, he probably wouldn't get a 2 year $45 million offer.

Thome isn't worth that much because he's not even close to being as good a hitter. Character and personality have nothing to with it, unless the player wishes to earn less than he could get.

dickallen15
02-27-2009, 11:48 AM
Thome isn't worth that much because he's not even close to being as good a hitter. Character and personality have nothing to with it, unless the player wishes to earn less than he could get.
If Manny was exactly the same player as Manny is right now, but had Jim Thome's personality or attitude, the offers he's received from LA would be far less than what they have been. That's the jist. Its not whether or not he's a better hitter than Thome. I know Manny is better than Thome. That is not what the point I read is about. The threat of Manny being unhappy actually works to his advantage, although his personality has limited his market in terms of teams interested.

JermaineDye05
02-27-2009, 11:51 AM

25M with option in 2010.

To edit the title, it's not "Manny being Manny." It's Manny being a moron, uber douche.

Nellie_Fox
02-27-2009, 11:51 AM
If Manny was exactly the same player as Manny is right now, but had Jim Thome's personality or attitude, the offers he's received from LA would be far less than what they have been.And I reject that. Just become some sportswriter thinks that doesn't make it so. Whatever you have to say about ARod, has he ever been a raging sphincter like Manny? Did he ever quit on not one, but two teams once he was unhappy? No. But he got a huge contract. Huge. This guy's argument is nonsense, and has the additional advantage of being non-disprovable, because we can't have a controlled experiment with Manny "not being Manny."

I_Liked_Manuel
02-27-2009, 11:54 AM
I really hope we sign him, just so that I can watch him and Ozzie go at it all year long

dickallen15
02-27-2009, 12:02 PM
And I reject that. Just become some sportswriter thinks that doesn't make it so. Whatever you have to say about ARod, has he ever been a raging sphincter like Manny? Did he ever quit on not one, but two teams once he was unhappy? No. But he got a huge contract. Huge. This guy's argument is nonsense, and has the additional advantage of being non-disprovable, because we can't have a controlled experiment with Manny "not being Manny."

ARod wasn't signing a contract when he was 37 years old in a horrible economy, months after forcing his way off a team by dogging it, and ARod actually can play defense. Bobby Abreu got $5 million in this market. There is no way Manny is worth 5 times that, especially when you know he will, at some point, be a problem, either by faking injury or unhappy again with his contract. Why would the Dodgers be bidding against themselves if it wasn't for his attitude?

DSpivack
02-27-2009, 12:06 PM
ARod wasn't signing a contract when he was 37 years old in a horrible economy, months after forcing his way off a team by dogging it, and ARod actually can play defense. Bobby Abreu got $5 million in this market. There is no way Manny is worth 5 times that, especially when you know he will, at some point, be a problem, either by faking injury or unhappy again with his contract. Why would the Dodgers be bidding against themselves if it wasn't for his attitude?

They're bidding against themselves because they have a relatively weak lineup and need a powerful bat who drives runs in. They're not actively seeking players with bad attitudes and paying them more. That makes zero baseball sense and zero economic sense.

getonbckthr
02-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Supposedly Manny and Boras aren't happy about the money being deffered,

Red Barchetta
02-27-2009, 12:08 PM
I really hope we sign him, just so that I can watch him and Ozzie go at it all year long

Manny deserves what he (agent) can negotiate in this market. If he thinks he can get more by turning down the latest offer from the Dodgers, than God speed.

As to playing for the White Sox, I think he would have a love-hate relationship similar to the Albert Belle experience from a few years ago. Although he produces incredible individual stats, the team chemistry might be compromised. I'm not saying you can't win, however if you have a clubhouse full of guys who negotiate through the salary curve, it might come into play.

On the flip side, I think he would post some enourmous numbers at the Cell. I can just imagine some of the LF bombs he would unload. We might only win 65 games, but he would sure unload some bombs! :tongue:

dickallen15
02-27-2009, 12:12 PM
Manny deserves what he (agent) can negotiate in this market. If he thinks he can get more by turning down the latest offer from the Dodgers, than God speed.

As to playing for the White Sox, I think he would have a love-hate relationship similar to the Albert Belle experience from a few years ago. Although he produces incredible individual stats, the team chemistry might be compromised. I'm not saying you can't win, however if you have a clubhouse full of guys who negotiate through the salary curve, it might come into play.

On the flip side, I think he would post some enourmous numbers at the Cell. I can just imagine some of the LF bombs he would unload. We might only win 65 games, but he would sure unload some bombs! :tongue:

I think there's a better chance of JR firing KW and bringing back Dave Wilder to be the GM than of Manny ever being a White Sox.

dickallen15
02-27-2009, 12:16 PM
They're bidding against themselves because they have a relatively weak lineup and need a powerful bat who drives runs in. They're not actively seeking players with bad attitudes and paying them more. That makes zero baseball sense and zero economic sense.

Why is it others have had to take paycuts when teams aren't bidding against each other, but Manny is not? We obviously will disagree on this, but I agree with the author, Peter Gammons, who thinks the threat of Manny being unhappy and making a mess of the situation has actually made him some money.

getonbckthr
02-27-2009, 12:18 PM
Why is it others have had to take paycuts when teams aren't bidding against each other, but Manny is not? We obviously will disagree on this, but I agree with the author, Peter Gammons, who thinks the threat of Manny being unhappy and making a mess of the situation has actually made him some money.
The Dodgers need Manny more than Manny needs the Dodgers.

dickallen15
02-27-2009, 12:29 PM

Considering Manny has been paid more than $162,000,000 in his career, you could say that about any team. The chances of Manny playing as well as he did with the Dodgers in 2008 are pretty slim. He'll still be a great hitter, but there will be problems. The Dodgers baseball-wise could probably spend the $25 million for 2009 more wisely as players will become available for a song when the season begins.

DSpivack
02-27-2009, 12:39 PM
Considering Manny has been paid more than $162,000,000 in his career, you could say that about any team. The chances of Manny playing as well as he did with the Dodgers in 2008 are pretty slim. He'll still be a great hitter, but there will be problems. The Dodgers baseball-wise could probably spend the $25 million for 2009 more wisely as players will become available for a song when the season begins.

But there isn't a Manny-like hitter available now. There never was, but most of the good hitters have been already signed. I think they're better off signing Manny than paying 5 mediocre guys $5 mil each.

dickallen15
02-27-2009, 12:41 PM
But there isn't a Manny-like hitter available now. There never was, but most of the good hitters have been already signed. I think they're better off signing Manny than paying 5 mediocre guys $5 mil each.

I'd rather have 5 Bobby Abreu offensive players than 1 Manny with 4 minimum guys.

Manny is available to all teams. There appears to be only one that would even come close to his asking price. I really wonder if they would offer him what they are offering him if he hit .325 for them and they missed the playoffs in 2008. I think a big portion of their generosity is because of pressure from the fan base. Not signing him is going to be a PR disaster for them. Bidding against yourself is no way to run a business. Paying Manny the 2009 going rate won't appease him. The Dodgers are not in an ideal position.

Thome25
02-27-2009, 12:44 PM
I hope he retires. He made a circus out of his career and now he's making a circus out of his contract negotiations. I REALLY hope he retires. Hey Manny, Take your dreadlocks, your big bat, your overly baggy uniform, your smug, cocky, "me-first" attitude and your prick of an agent and go home. Nobody wants your sorry ass in MLB anymore.

DSpivack
02-27-2009, 12:48 PM
I'd rather have 5 Bobby Abreu offensive players than 1 Manny with 4 minimum guys.

Manny is available to all teams. There appears to be only one that would even come close to his asking price. I really wonder if they would offer him what they are offering him if he hit .325 for them and they missed the playoffs in 2008. I think a big portion of their generosity is because of pressure from the fan base. Not signing him is going to be a PR disaster for them. Bidding against yourself is no way to run a business. Paying Manny the 2009 going rate won't appease him. The Dodgers are not in an ideal position.

I think they've hung on so long because they need a middle of the order hitter.

I do agree that they seem to be bidding against themselves [supposedly the Giants are interested], but who knows why he hasn't yet agreed to a deal. The deferred money thing is possible, but no one really knows besides Boras and the Dodgers.

areilly
02-27-2009, 01:32 PM
I agree he's a jerk, but to say this is only about the money is probably oversimplifying things. As pointed out earlier, Manny doesn't really need the money.

On top of that, he's already won two World Series. At his age and with his lame defense an MVP is probably out of the question, but the Hall is probably a lock. He's a perennial All-Star and, for reasons I don't understand, a fan favorite. What does he really have left to prove to anyone?

And since when do people take anything the guy says or does seriously?

dickallen15
02-27-2009, 01:50 PM
I agree he's a jerk, but to say this is only about the money is probably oversimplifying things. As pointed out earlier, Manny doesn't really need the money.

On top of that, he's already won two World Series. At his age and with his lame defense an MVP is probably out of the question, but the Hall is probably a lock. He's a perennial All-Star and, for reasons I don't understand, a fan favorite. What does he really have left to prove to anyone?

And since when do people take anything the guy says or does seriously?

How could it be about anything but money? That's all he cares about. He has more than he'll ever spend but apparently $40 million over the next 2 seasons was insulting to him. When he was traded, the one condition he had to accept (although he demanded being traded, and loafed his way out of Boston a title contender, a town that loved him and paid him well) was that the team acquiring him agree not to pick up either of the $20 million a year options he had remaining for 2009 and 2010. It was insulting to him to play baseball for a sum so small. I wish the Dodgers and the rest of baseball would squeeze him like they have anyone else his age. Let him take his bat and go home. As great as he's been, look how much better he was when he was playing for a new contract.

asindc
02-27-2009, 01:51 PM
I think they've hung on so long because they need a middle of the order hitter.

I do agree that they seem to be bidding against themselves [supposedly the Giants are interested], but who knows why he hasn't yet agreed to a deal. The deferred money thing is possible, but no one really knows besides Boras and the Dodgers.

I really think it is because he doesn't want to do spring training.

JohnTucker0814
02-27-2009, 01:53 PM

Bingo! He wants to sign a deal during the last 2 weeks of spring training...

Nellie_Fox
02-27-2009, 02:06 PM

Bingo! He wants to sign a deal during the last 2 weeks of spring training...
Further evidence of what a sphincter he is. "I'll take your twenty-five million dollars later, when I don't have to do anything I don't want to do for it."

jabrch
02-27-2009, 02:25 PM

I would love to see them tell him to stick it.

Then let's see what he has to settle for.

thedudeabides
02-27-2009, 03:07 PM
Supposedly Manny and Boras aren't happy about the money being deffered,

Your exactly right.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/dodgers/la-sp-manny-ramirez-dodgers27-2009feb27,0,905862.story

The Dodgers last offer would only pay him $10 million this year, and $10 million in the option year. He would've been paid the remaining $25 million over the next three years without any added interest. He would've received $10 million in 2011, $10 million in 2012 and $5 million in 2013.

Not taking Manny's side, but that's an awful lot of deffered money with no interest. I can see why they wanted to keep negotiating.

kobo
02-27-2009, 04:04 PM
If someone offered me a contract but then told me half the money would be deferred with no interest, I'd turn it down too.

dickallen15
02-27-2009, 07:35 PM
Your exactly right.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/dodgers/la-sp-manny-ramirez-dodgers27-2009feb27,0,905862.story

The Dodgers last offer would only pay him $10 million this year, and $10 million in the option year. He would've been paid the remaining $25 million over the next three years without any added interest. He would've received $10 million in 2011, $10 million in 2012 and $5 million in 2013.

Not taking Manny's side, but that's an awful lot of deffered money with no interest. I can see why they wanted to keep negotiating.

Its still $45 million for 2 seasons of baseball, paid over 5 years. Considering interest rates and market conditions its really not that bad of a deal. At least Boras wouldn't be steering Manny's extra cash to Stanford like he did with a couple clients. If he had a better offer elsewhere he would have taken it, and he is free to negotiate with every team. BTW, Boras' counteroffer was 2 years, $55 million.

The new story out is Boras last fall asked for a good portion of the contract be deferred so he could make the total cash look higher.

dickallen15
02-27-2009, 07:41 PM
If someone offered me a contract but then told me half the money would be deferred with no interest, I'd turn it down too.

If your choice was to play 1 season for $15 million, or play 2 seasons for $45 million with $25 million deferred for up to 3 years, or just go home, you wouldn't take the $45 million?

I really think the problem is Manny had 2 years, $40 million with zero deferral in the bag and he forced the Dodgers to rip that up. The offer isn't so much better than that. Boras and Manny are trying to save face. It would do the baseball industry good if the Dodgers walked away, and every other team refused to give Manny a penny more than the current market value for an excellent DH, the best in baseball, who may or may not feel like playing everyday.

RadioheadRocks
02-27-2009, 07:56 PM
Manny needs to go take a flying leap, and that's all I'm going to say on the topic.

soltrain21
02-27-2009, 08:07 PM
I hope he retires. He made a circus out of his career and now he's making a circus out of his contract negotiations. I REALLY hope he retires. Hey Manny, Take your dreadlocks, your big bat, your overly baggy uniform, your smug, cocky, "me-first" attitude and your prick of an agent and go home. Nobody wants your sorry ass in MLB anymore.

One of the greatest hitters we will ever see.

goofymsfan
02-27-2009, 08:23 PM
Manny needs to go take a flying leap, and that's all I'm going to say on the topic.

I'm with you on this one. Both he and Boras can rot in H E double hockey sticks!

thedudeabides
02-27-2009, 10:25 PM
Its still $45 million for 2 seasons of baseball, paid over 5 years. Considering interest rates and market conditions its really not that bad of a deal. At least Boras wouldn't be steering Manny's extra cash to Stanford like he did with a couple clients. If he had a better offer elsewhere he would have taken it, and he is free to negotiate with every team. BTW, Boras' counteroffer was 2 years, $55 million.

The new story out is Boras last fall asked for a good portion of the contract be deferred so he could make the total cash look higher.

I'm not saying they're in the right. I'm just saying that often the money in deferred contracts pays interest, this one does not. It can also be tricky with how the agent is compensated, as he will often take the full commission up front. This contract calls for a substantial portion to be deferred, even though it's over a relatively short time period. There is a lot of financial consideration to take into account to value deferred money. It's not a preferred method of compensation.

I'm just saying that if the amount of deferred money is the issue, I can understand why they would want to keep negotiating. Manny is obviously not in a hurry to sign.

Daver
02-27-2009, 10:27 PM
Your exactly right.

That is a violation of the CBA.

thedudeabides
02-27-2009, 10:31 PM

Which part? The deferred money without interest?

Daver
02-27-2009, 10:37 PM

All deferred money has to be paid by June or July of the following calender year, I can't remember which without looking.

dickallen15
02-28-2009, 06:16 AM
I'm not saying they're in the right. I'm just saying that often the money in deferred contracts pays interest, this one does not. It can also be tricky with how the agent is compensated, as he will often take the full commission up front. This contract calls for a substantial portion to be deferred, even though it's over a relatively short time period. There is a lot of financial consideration to take into account to value deferred money. It's not a preferred method of compensation.

I'm just saying that if the amount of deferred money is the issue, I can understand why they would want to keep negotiating. Manny is obviously not in a hurry to sign.

Boras asked for a lot of money to be deferred thinking that would mean Manny would get a higher number on his contract and he would look like a genius. Now they throw a bunch of deferred money in the offer and they complain. Manny picked the wrong time to be a free agent and his behavior at the end of his days in Boston is starting to bite him in the ass. I say good. I think the present day value of what the Dodgers are offering him is still much higher than the present day value of anything anyone else is offering him or Boras would be talking to the other team. He's priced himself so high he has two options, play for the Dodgers for a measly $45 million for 2 years but be paid over 5, or go home. I really doubt he's going home.

Frater Perdurabo
02-28-2009, 06:50 AM
He's priced himself so high he has two options, play for the Dodgers for a measly $45 million for 2 years but be paid over 5, or go home. I really doubt he's going home.

I hope he does go home. I am so sick of his stupid antics - and ESPN covering them to the point of nausea - that I hope he disappears, gets fat, and never picks up a bat again. Then I hope that sportswriters get so PO-ed at him that they never vote him into the HOF.

Steelrod
02-28-2009, 07:36 AM
Wrong!
Only the Dodgers are showing any interest at this point. And there are lots of left fielders!

cwsfannick
02-28-2009, 09:02 AM
Manny will become a rent a player for 3 or 4 months per year like Clemens did for a couple of years.

thedudeabides
02-28-2009, 11:26 AM
All deferred money has to be paid by June or July of the following calender year, I can't remember which without looking.

It just needs approval from the players association, which they do often grant. Andruw Jones is receiving his final $15 million over six seasons with no interest.

StillMissOzzie
02-28-2009, 12:54 PM

Meh. With interest rates being at historic lows, and the income tax break on highly paid folks expiring in 2010, the tax break on deferred money may outweigh the loss in present value.

That said, I am still waiting for ANY of the other interested teams in Manny's services (per Bora$) to put forth an offer - ANY offer.

A pox on both their houses (Manny's and Bora$')

SMO
:gulp:

gosox41
03-01-2009, 09:15 PM

There is a rule deferred salary has to be funded within 18 months of the time it was earned.

The Diamondbacks deferred a ton of money for years after they won their WS. I believe they had about $30 mill in deferred payments for their 04 or 05 team.

Here is a link I found that mentions AZ's deferred salaries. they're still paying them.

http://cnnmoney.mobi/money/magazine/fortune/detail/127150/full;jsessionid=DB9A000A007261EC6155B12315C4C0C8

gosox41
03-01-2009, 09:16 PM
Meh. With interest rates being at historic lows, and the income tax break on highly paid folks expiring in 2010, the tax break on deferred money may outweigh the loss in present value.

That said, I am still waiting for ANY of the other interested teams in Manny's services (per Bora$) to put forth an offer - ANY offer.

A pox on both their houses (Manny's and Bora$')

SMO

The only 2 teams I can see being interest are the Giants and Yanks.

Bob

soltrain21
03-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Wrong!
Only the Dodgers are showing any interest at this point. And there are lots of left fielders!

Oh yeah - tons of outfielders out there that put up Manny's production. Are you serious?

StillMissOzzie
03-02-2009, 01:12 AM

I will read up on my copy of the CBA too, but just on the face of it, I would think that if the Dodgers had offered a patently illegal contract, that Bora$ would have gone screaming to the media about it, trying to stake some sort of moral high ground in these negotiations. The fact that all he did was turn it down makes me think that daver is not 100% correct.

To the CBA!

SMO

The Milkman
03-02-2009, 08:46 AM

Absolutely. The season doesn't start for 5 weeks!!! I guarantee he takes this deal they just offered him...but in another 2-3 weeks.

getonbckthr
03-02-2009, 11:09 AM
Wrong!
Without Manny the Dodgers are a sub .500 team and watching the playoffs in October.

soxfan43
03-02-2009, 11:21 AM
Absolutely. The season doesn't start for 5 weeks!!! I guarantee he takes this deal they just offered him...but in another 2-3 weeks.

It's just like Walter Jones in the nFL, he'd "hold out" and then sign the franchise tender when training camp was almost over. Manny just doesn't wanna goto spring training. Or he's holding out hope the Yanks will swoop in.

Steelrod
03-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Oh yeah - tons of outfielders out there that put up Manny's production. Are you serious?
...and additude!

gosox41
03-02-2009, 10:17 PM

But there are ton of outfielders out there who won't eat up 10-20% of a teams payroll and cry like a littl baby when he's feeling underappreciated thus becoming a huge clubhouse distraction and possible bringing the team down.

The economy being the wait is has made a lot of teams wise up on where they invest dollars. Foget Boras' and his glossy books about A-Rod's home run chase or how Ramirez pays for himself (yeah right). What Ramirez (and Boras) orchstrated last year in Boston was a joke and most everyone knew it at the time. Teams are being wiser on where they invest dollars. What good is a $20 mill a year player for you if he is unhappy and not a team player and faking injuries?

Bob

Marqhead
03-03-2009, 07:25 AM
But there are ton of outfielders out there who won't eat up 10-20% of a teams payroll and cry like a littl baby when he's feeling underappreciated thus becoming a huge clubhouse distraction and possible bringing the team down.

The economy being the wait is has made a lot of teams wise up on where they invest dollars. Foget Boras' and his glossy books about A-Rod's home run chase or how Ramirez pays for himself (yeah right). What Ramirez (and Boras) orchstrated last year in Boston was a joke and most everyone knew it at the time. Teams are being wiser on where they invest dollars. What good is a $20 mill a year player for you if he is unhappy and not a team player and faking injuries?

Bob

Manny will complain, and maybe he dogs it a bit, and yes that is a hell of a lot of money for one player. I see it this way: The Dodgers are a playoff team with Manny, they are sitting at home during October without him. The NL West is that weak, and Manny makes that much of a difference.

Is that worth 20 Million? Obviously the Dodgers think so, as do I.

palehozenychicty
03-03-2009, 07:13 PM
He'll sign with the Dodgers in a couple of weeks.

RadioheadRocks
03-03-2009, 07:33 PM
Manny will complain, and maybe he dogs it a bit, and yes that is a hell of a lot of money for one player. I see it this way: The Dodgers are a playoff team with Manny, they are sitting at home during October without him. The NL West is that weak, and Manny makes that much of a difference.

So much for the old adage "one monkey don't stop no show".

:rolleyes:

StillMissOzzie
03-03-2009, 07:49 PM

It's not the $20M or $40M or even $45M that seems to be the trouble here. The problem lies with dollars $46M-$100M that Manny & Bora$ want committed to for years 3 and 4. Or, giving him the opt-out in year 2 if economic conditions warrant a better deal. Way to show your solidarity to the team, Manny!

SMO