PDA

View Full Version : Yankees, Bank of America end sponsorship talks

Fenway
02-26-2009, 06:46 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-yankees-bankofamerica&prov=ap&type=lgns

doublem23
02-26-2009, 06:51 PM
Please God, I hope this $500 M off-season handcuffs the Yankees for years and years and years.

DSpivack
02-26-2009, 07:37 PM
Please God, I hope this $500 M off-season handcuffs the Yankees for years and years and years.

The Citi thing I think is a bigger deal, no? And I don't mean just literally; didn't the Mets rely on that for a huge chunk in paying for their stadium?

DumpJerry
02-26-2009, 10:47 PM
The Citi thing I think is a bigger deal, no? And I don't mean just literally; didn't the Mets rely on that for a huge chunk in paying for their stadium?
The Mets did not spend money on free agents like drunken sailors this year. Also, if the naming rights deal for the Mets' new stadium is like the one US Cellular had with the ISFA, the money went to Stadium upkeep and renovations only and not the team itself.

Fenway
02-26-2009, 11:21 PM
The Mets did not spend money on free agents like drunken sailors this year. Also, if the naming rights deal for the Mets' new stadium is like the one US Cellular had with the ISFA, the money went to Stadium upkeep and renovations only and not the team itself.

The Citi deal was with the Mets directly and was expected to pay 50 percent of the debt the Mets have.

Mets have another problem as the owner may have lost over a billion dollars in the Madoff scam.

BoA has been a big sponsor at Fenway and the Red Sox never change the signs until about a week before the season. They are trying to keep John Hancock but they are now owned by a Toronto firm and have cut Boston operations down.

Citizens Bank wants out of Philly as the bank lost a billion in 2008 and that is mainly because of the ill fated purchase of Charter One.

Another huge MLB sponsor is Lumber Liquidators and they are hurting bigtime.