PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Manuel batting Jose Reyes 3rd?

MushMouth
02-26-2009, 05:01 PM
just an experiment for ST, or will this actually carry-over?

:scratch:

kittle42
02-26-2009, 05:05 PM
This goes well with that Getz thread from yesterday.

BleacherBandit
02-26-2009, 05:11 PM
Jerry's just tinkering around.

soxinem1
02-26-2009, 05:27 PM

White Sox ST from 2006:

Uribe batting 2nd, Iguchi dropped down in the order.

Experiment time = ST

Now if we bat Paulie leadoff............

jabrch
02-26-2009, 05:34 PM
Corky Miller should be our everyday catcher.

MushMouth
02-26-2009, 05:36 PM
Here's an article discussing the move

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/mets/2009/02/manuels-postgame-remarks.html

FedEx227
02-26-2009, 05:56 PM
It's not as much of an experiment as you guys may think. I have a friend that's a Mets fan, who is confident when it's all said and done Reyes will be back up top, but they have been discussing it all offseason.

DaveFeelsRight
02-26-2009, 07:42 PM
i believe he batted 3rd today. 2-4 with a solo shot and a grand slam. 6 rbis haha

whitesox901
02-26-2009, 08:56 PM
He's the Mets' only real base stealing threat, whats wrong with batting Beltran third?

FedEx227
02-26-2009, 09:15 PM
Manuel is a fool.

RKMeibalane
02-27-2009, 09:32 AM

:jerry

*TINKER* *TINKER* *TINKER*

Eddo144
02-27-2009, 10:40 AM
He's the Mets' only real base stealing threat, whats wrong with batting Beltran third?
Um, you do realize Carlos Beltran is the best base stealer of all time, right? His 162-game average is 30 SB, 4 CS, for a ridiculous 88% success rate.

I'd bat Beltran first, Reyes second, and Wright third if I were Manuel.

Nellie_Fox
02-27-2009, 12:48 PM
:jerry

*TINKER* *TINKER* *TINKER*This joke just never gets old.

DSpivack
02-27-2009, 01:10 PM
Um, you do realize Carlos Beltran is the best base stealer of all time, right? His 162-game average is 30 SB, 4 CS, for a ridiculous 88% success rate.

I'd bat Beltran first, Reyes second, and Wright third if I were Manuel.

Beltran should bat leadoff because he doesn't get caught stealing? There's more to being a leadoff hitter than good baserunning skills. Beltran as leadoff hitter makes no sense to me, he's a powerful bat that drives in runs. That he's also good on the basepaths is a nice plus and adds a dimension to his play, but you don't bat some leadoff who hits 30+ HRs a year.

Eddo144
02-27-2009, 01:21 PM
Beltran should bat leadoff because he doesn't get caught stealing? There's more to being a leadoff hitter than good baserunning skills. Beltran as leadoff hitter makes no sense to me, he's a powerful bat that drives in runs. That he's also good on the basepaths is a nice plus and adds a dimension to his play, but you don't bat some leadoff who hits 30+ HRs a year.
Please read the post I resplied to: the stolen base figures were in response to the poster who said that Reyes was the Mets' only stolen-base threat. If anything, that poster (whitesox901) is the one who believes that base stealing capability is what makes a good leadoff hitter.

And I am the last person who thinks that stealing bases is important for a leadoff hitter. I'm one of the few who thinks leading off Quentin isn't a bad idea.

Beltran gets on base more than Reyes, which is why I'd bat him first. Now, the difference isn't that great, so I might just lead off Reyes and hit Beltran second. (Actually, that sounds pretty good.) But I definitely wouldn't drop Beltran to third (thus dropping Wright to fourth) just because Beltran can hit for power.

For the Mets, Reyes, Beltran, and Wright should hit 1-2-3 in some order. Putting a weaker hitter at #2 just because he has "bat control" or some nonsense would only be hurting the team.

DSpivack
02-27-2009, 01:44 PM
Please read the post I resplied to: the stolen base figures were in response to the poster who said that Reyes was the Mets' only stolen-base threat. If anything, that poster (whitesox901) is the one who believes that base stealing capability is what makes a good leadoff hitter.

And I am the last person who thinks that stealing bases is important for a leadoff hitter. I'm one of the few who thinks leading off Quentin isn't a bad idea.

Beltran gets on base more than Reyes, which is why I'd bat him first. Now, the difference isn't that great, so I might just lead off Reyes and hit Beltran second. (Actually, that sounds pretty good.) But I definitely wouldn't drop Beltran to third (thus dropping Wright to fourth) just because Beltran can hit for power.

For the Mets, Reyes, Beltran, and Wright should hit 1-2-3 in some order. Putting a weaker hitter at #2 just because he has "bat control" or some nonsense would only be hurting the team.

I think you should have the hitters most likely to drive in runs slightly down in the order. Reyes-Beltran-Wright seems the best 1-2-3 to me.

CubKilla
02-27-2009, 02:26 PM
i believe he batted 3rd today. 2-4 with a solo shot and a grand slam. 6 rbis haha

Bench Coach: "Reyes is showing some power out there."

Mgr. Lou Brown: "Yeah, against a guy who'll be bagging groceries next week!"

:smile: