PDA

View Full Version : Evaluate Gary Glover as a starter


MattSharp
05-26-2002, 02:23 AM
After 4 starts its time to check things out. He hasn't gone more than 5 innings yet. The first two he went 3 and 4 innings and you all said he was building arm strength. Hes a major league pitcher how much more does he need to build. It's true that the Sox have won 3 of his 4 starts and he hasn't given up more than 4 runs in any of his starts which is great, but if you give up 4 runs in 4+ IP and then the bullpen has to pitch 5 innings, you know they will give up a couple more. I think we need to seriously think about given The Rock a shot at a start. I think Gary Glover is far better suited for the pen. Tonight was not a good outing and he has only gotten one win in four starts and that was against a hot Angels team, but he has been far from impressive........

baggio202
05-26-2002, 03:13 AM
he is just not a starter..he basically goes with two pitches..fastball and his big curve...unless your randy johnson two pitches wont cut it for a starter... he is not getting out of the 4th or 5th inning in any start..

plus he was doing a good job as the set up man...move him back to the pen where he belongs and can help this team more

chisoxt
05-26-2002, 07:48 AM
Indeed, it is high time that Glover and Biddle switch places. Biddle is more suited to starting, while Glover seems to favor the relief role.

RedPinStripes
05-26-2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by chisoxt
Indeed, it is high time that Glover and Biddle switch places. Biddle is more suited to starting, while Glover seems to favor the relief role.

Not if Manuel won't let Rocky pitch more then 2 innings. Last night was the perfect time to let him get some long relief work since he will be starting soon. Was there any reason to take him out? OH! that's right! The idiots book of managing says you can't have a lefty\righty match up after the 6th. Hey, Sox win even though JM used 5 pitchers for the hell of it. It got a little close there.

voodoochile
05-26-2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes


Not if Manuel won't let Rocky pitch more then 2 innings. Last night was the perfect time to let him get some long relief work since he will be starting soon. Was there any reason to take him out? OH! that's right! The idiots book of managing says you can't have a lefty\righty match up after the 6th. Hey, Sox win even though JM used 5 pitchers for the hell of it. It got a little close there.

You're wrong... Last night was a one-run game. JM played to win, and from the way the bullpen performed it would be safe to say that he did a good job. I'm not the biggest fan of the way JM uses the bullpen, but last night he was dead on with his decisions. It isn't like he switched pitchers every batter. Wunsch put out the fire. Both Rocky and Marte pitched over an inning and then Foulke came in for the ninth. Not his fault that Glover fell apart after 4.1 innings.

Still, it was way cool to see the Rock throwing with such poise and authority again. Figure pretty soon they give him a shot, especially if Glover keeps struggling. Too bad, also, because the bullpen is just starting to settle after the last shakeup when they made Gary a starter...

RedPinStripes
05-26-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile


You're wrong... Last night was a one-run game. JM played to win, and from the way the bullpen performed it would be safe to say that he did a good job. I'm not the biggest fan of the way JM uses the bullpen, but last night he was dead on with his decisions. It isn't like he switched pitchers every batter. Wunsch put out the fire. Both Rocky and Marte pitched over an inning and then Foulke came in for the ninth. Not his fault that Glover fell apart after 4.1 innings.

Still, it was way cool to see the Rock throwing with such poise and authority again. Figure pretty soon they give him a shot, especially if Glover keeps struggling. Too bad, also, because the bullpen is just starting to settle after the last shakeup when they made Gary a starter...

I just have a problem with the way he uses the pen in general. Yeah, it worked so I'm not that pissed about it, but i think Rocky could have gone longer. If it's not broke, don't fix it!

voodoochile
05-26-2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes


I just have a problem with the way he uses the pen in general. Yeah, it worked so I'm not that pissed about it, but i think Rocky could have gone longer. If it's not broke, don't fix it!

If Jm leaves Rocky in and Rocky gives up a couple of runs, everyone here is screaming for JM's head for not doing more situational pitching. Whatever he did last night worked - hence it wasn't broken. Why are you trying to fix it?

:D:

Tragg
05-26-2002, 01:38 PM
How about trying Howry at starter.

He throws hard. Just a thought.

doublem23
05-26-2002, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
How about trying Howry at starter.

He throws hard. Just a thought.

I can barely take the Gascan for an inning or so... The last thing my poor heart needs is to see him trot out there for six or so.

Glover is just keeping Biddle's spot warm.

Tragg
05-26-2002, 01:59 PM
He only gives us his stuff in the clutch.

Well, he was a better closer than he is a set-up man/middle reliever.

bc2k
05-27-2002, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by MattSharp
After 4 starts its time to check things out. He hasn't gone more than 5 innings yet. The first two he went 3 and 4 innings and you all said he was building arm strength. Hes a major league pitcher how much more does he need to build. It's true that the Sox have won 3 of his 4 starts and he hasn't given up more than 4 runs in any of his starts which is great, but if you give up 4 runs in 4+ IP and then the bullpen has to pitch 5 innings, you know they will give up a couple more. I think we need to seriously think about given The Rock a shot at a start. I think Gary Glover is far better suited for the pen. Tonight was not a good outing and he has only gotten one win in four starts and that was against a hot Angels team, but he has been far from impressive........

That is why Manuel has him pitching between the two pitchers who go deep into games.

I would like to see Glover continue to start. I like Biddle, but remember KW admitted calling him up Rocky early. Why rush Biddle when you have a healthy, stronger arm already in the rotation. Right now Biddle is not ready to give 6-7 innings either, so why not go with the healthier, stronger arm. I admit I do want to see Biddle start this year but it just doesn't make any sense at this time.

RedPinStripes
05-27-2002, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile


If Jm leaves Rocky in and Rocky gives up a couple of runs, everyone here is screaming for JM's head for not doing more situational pitching. Whatever he did last night worked - hence it wasn't broken. Why are you trying to fix it?

:D:

You feel safe when 5-6 pitchers are used in 1 game? yeah, it worked last saturday, but not evey pitcher is going to have his good stuff out there. Watch what happens in a close game vs. the Yanks when Manuel tries using 6 pitchers a game. They're not all stars. If someone like Biddle is doing well , I think he should stay in htere for a few.

I just not big on over managing and JM is notorious for that.

Garrison
05-27-2002, 01:14 AM
When Rocky is ready he will start. No use in rushing him back. Glover is just doing the best as he can as a starter until Rocky is ready to go. Glover is better as a setup man anyways and Osuna simply can't be one. I wish JM would learn the meaning of long reliever. When ur starter goes only 4-5 innings, then you need someone to get to the 7th or 8th when you would use the pen anyways. That's what Ginter, Biddle, and Osuna (to an extent) can do. Go 2-3 innings and get to Howry/Foulke as cover for a starter who exits early. But JM won't let them go more than 1.1 or 1.2 IP before switching. Stop overmanaging! Please get starting games again Rocky. Please!

baggio202
05-27-2002, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by Garrison
When Rocky is ready he will start. No use in rushing him back. Glover is just doing the best as he can as a starter until Rocky is ready to go. Glover is better as a setup man anyways and Osuna simply can't be one. I wish JM would learn the meaning of long reliever. When ur starter goes only 4-5 innings, then you need someone to get to the 7th or 8th when you would use the pen anyways. That's what Ginter, Biddle, and Osuna (to an extent) can do. Go 2-3 innings and get to Howry/Foulke as cover for a starter who exits early. But JM won't let them go more than 1.1 or 1.2 IP before switching. Stop overmanaging! Please get starting games again Rocky. Please!

i dont think rocky is going to strengthen his arm any by pitching an inning here or there..if he is not raedy to start send him to charlotte where they can start him for a 2 or 3 innings and it doesnt matter...then build him up to 5 or 6 to get him ready..it makes no snense at all to use him in the pen for an inning here or there if what he really needs is work

RedPinStripes
05-27-2002, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by baggio202


i dont think rocky is going to strengthen his arm any by pitching an inning here or there..if he is not raedy to start send him to charlotte where they can start him for a 2 or 3 innings and it doesnt matter...then build him up to 5 or 6 to get him ready..it makes no snense at all to use him in the pen for an inning here or there if what he really needs is work

I agree 100% He needs to pitch 3 innings before he can pitch 6.