PDA

View Full Version : Farmer and DJ

geraldfritz
02-25-2009, 10:17 PM
Just wondering if anybody else got the chance to listen to the game on the radio today? Farmer and DJ were calling the game and I must say, I think they were very entertaining to listen to.

ChiSoxGirl
02-25-2009, 10:20 PM
Just wondering if anybody else got the chance to listen to the game on the radio today? Farmer and DJ were calling the game and I must say, I think they were very entertaining to listen to.

I definitely agree! As someone who listens to about 100 ballgames a year, I like hearing a good duo in the broadcast booth. Farmer's partner is new, but we're all familiar with him, which, in my opinion, makes the transition easier. With that said, I can't wait 'til the next spring game airs on Sunday afternoon!

DoItForDanPasqua
02-25-2009, 10:36 PM
DJ did sound a little better than when he was on TV. I think he was slowly turning into Hawk.

bestkosher
02-25-2009, 11:03 PM
I don't know why but DJ came off more nasaly on radio.

guillensdisciple
02-25-2009, 11:04 PM
DJ did sound a little better than when he was on TV. I think he was slowly turning into Hawk.

Can someone please explain why Hawk is a bad commentator? I tend to watch the game more then I listen to him talk so I can't really critique him. I have read that everyone thinks he is garbage, and I want to figure out what it is that makes him that bad.

whitesox901
02-25-2009, 11:08 PM
Can someone please explain why Hawk is a bad commentator? I tend to watch the game more then I listen to him talk so I can't really critique him. I have read that everyone thinks he is garbage, and I want to figure out what it is that makes him that bad.

Its just something else for people to bitch about, I think Hawk is one of the greats IMO

EMachine10
02-26-2009, 12:13 AM
I like him. I even read his book.

fusillirob1983
02-26-2009, 12:20 AM
I like him. I even read his book.

I've made it through the first couple chapters. The way everything is worded, it's basically as though Hawk is reading the book to you.

Nellie_Fox
02-26-2009, 01:03 AM
Can someone please explain why Hawk is a bad commentator? I tend to watch the game more then I listen to him talk so I can't really critique him. I have read that everyone thinks he is garbage, and I want to figure out what it is that makes him that bad.Not "everyone" thinks he's garbage. I still like him. You'll find that those who are unhappy with something tend to verbalize it, while those who are satisfied don't say much.

WhiteSox5187
02-26-2009, 01:16 AM
When the Sox are winning there is no one better than Hawk, but when they are losing, the excuses he makes for the team are difficult to endure.

HomeFish
02-26-2009, 01:27 AM
I hope this means the return of "Uh-oh! That's a three run bye-bye".

I actually once made a sign that I brought to a Sox game, which had DJ's face on it, and then "Uh-oh, that's a [blank] run Bye-Bye!" There were two slots cut into the blank so I could attach a number between 1 and 4, depending on how many runners were on base.

Nobody hit a home run that day, but the Sox still win.

whitesox901
02-26-2009, 01:40 AM
I hope this means the return of "Uh-oh! That's a three run bye-bye".

I actually once made a sign that I brought to a Sox game, which had DJ's face on it, and then "Uh-oh, that's a run Bye-Bye!" There were two slots cut into the blank so I could attach a number between 1 and 4, depending on how many runners were on base.

[B]Nobody hit a home run that day, but the Sox still won.

I didn't know that was possible :tongue:

WhiteSoxFan84
02-26-2009, 03:01 AM

1. He's a fan first, commentator second. I'm not saying, "Don't show favoritism towards the White Sox", but do your job first and then chime in with your personal feelings. Not the opposite.
2. In the 8th inning he'll still be bitching about a call that took place in the 2nd inning.
3. He'll always find a reason to blame everyone else but the White Sox for sucking when they're sucking.
4. When he's pissed he doesn't do his job well... or AT ALL some times (there will some times be silence for a minute or so because he's pissed).
5. He barely criticizes the White Sox even when everyone at home knows they deserve it.

That being said, he's not horrible. But those are some of the reasons I don't think he's "great" or anywhere near it. His "Hawkisms" are very cool though. And with Steve Stone by his side this upcoming season, Hawk will probably be better than ever. Even if he's not, Stone is amazing.

As for Farmer and DJ, they did sound good today. Hope they only get better. And I'm happy to see DJ getting a gig one way or another. He and Chris Singleton are class-acts. They may not be very entertaining, but they I'd rather have them on rather than someone else who is slightly more entertaining yet a piece of **** as a person.

GoGoCrede
02-26-2009, 06:33 AM
I really liked them, they flowed well together. They seem to really get along, too. I've always found DJ's voice to be really relaxing. At any rate, it was great to hear White Sox baseball. I'll have to listen to radio broadcasts more often.

WhiteSox1989
02-26-2009, 07:19 AM
When the Sox are winning there is no one better than Hawk, but when they are losing, the excuses he makes for the team are difficult to endure.
He also praises the team the Sox are playing, whoever the team is that day they are the best team in the league with the best players in the league.

DJ and Farmer were decent together. Better than I expected. But when I heard DJ say "Oh Do Tell" I about lost my mind.

Thome25
02-26-2009, 09:04 AM
Not "everyone" thinks he's garbage. I still like him. You'll find that those who are unhappy with something tend to verbalize it, while those who are satisfied don't say much.

I agree with this.^^^^

103 screwball
02-26-2009, 09:06 AM
I hope DJ is doing the play by play because Farmer was better at color.

cbone
02-26-2009, 09:49 AM
I thought they were pretty good as well. Farmio still goes way off on tangents, and at times it seems like DJ had a little success in bringing him back to the game. Any improvement in that area will make them a good team. Do-Tell stunk.

aryzner
02-26-2009, 10:05 AM
I was pleasantly surprised. Although, really, I didn't know what to think coming into it, but upon listening, I thought it was pretty good actually.

roylestillman
02-26-2009, 10:06 AM
Pretty seamless transition. I wonder if Farmio thought that any perceived failure to make this work may reflect as badly on him as DJ. I thought he doomed Singleton. Instead, Farmer went out of his way to bring DJ into the broadcast.

Two "uh-oh's." After a rambling story about his days in California and the late Preston Gomez, DJ responded with "I like how you tell those stories." Trust me DJ, by about Memorial Day you'll use those stories as an opportunity to step out and get a hot dog. Secondly, DJ's use of "Eddie" seemed a little awkward.

FarmerAndy
02-26-2009, 10:29 AM
I only caught the last 2 innings, but I was pleasantly suprised. It wasn't great, but it certainly wasn't bad, especially for their first day together.

For me, nothing will ever be better than the Rooney/Farmer team. But D.J. sounds to me like he'll do just fine on the radio.

Rohan
02-26-2009, 10:46 AM

Probably the most simply stated reason for people's annoyance with Hawk. I still enjoy him.

Dj did a great job yesterday, and only let one "O-do-tell" slip.

kitekrazy
02-26-2009, 11:36 AM

I think he did it rather quick. I can't stand the making excuses for player's mishaps.

Baseball is a great radio sport but DJ may have ruined it for me.

everafan
02-26-2009, 05:06 PM
I thought they sounded good. I listened for an inning and a half and DJ only said "thought process" twice.

soxinem1
02-26-2009, 05:28 PM
dj did sound a little better than when he was on tv. I think he was slowly turning into hawk.

uh-oh!!

RF/DH#3
02-26-2009, 09:40 PM
I miss John Rooney!! I'll trade Farmer for a broken bat and a bag of BP balls if we could get Rooney back. Then it wouldn't matter who else is in the booth with Rooney just like it didn't matter from 87/88ish through the magical 2005.

RedPinStripes
02-26-2009, 11:03 PM
Farmer & DJ weren't bad. I'm sure they'll get better. I can't wait to hear Hawk and Stone. I think they're going to butt heads A LOT. When the Sox are losing because of mental mistakes and Hawk is blaming the umpires, I can't see Stone staying quiet about it like DJ did.

I think DJ's best gig is national games. He was great a few years back. I think he was on Fox doing Saturday games IIRC.

chisox12
02-27-2009, 09:07 AM
I'm surprised with such a positive response for Farmer and DJ. Thinking about that in the offseason, I figured I would be falling asleep at the wheel with those two calling games.

It should be an interesting year in both broadcast booths. Can't wait to hear Hawk and Stoney.

MsSoxVixen22
02-27-2009, 09:31 AM
I always liked DJ and Farmio, for that matter. I think they compliment each other nicely. I think DJ did a good job. It'll take me a little while to get used to hearing him on the radio though lol. I love Hawk, the man bleeds White Sox. I also think that Hawk and Stone will butt heads!

tstrike2000
02-27-2009, 09:38 AM
I always liked DJ and Farmio, for that matter. I think they compliment each other nicely. I think DJ did a good job. It'll take me a little while to get used to hearing him on the radio though lol. I love Hawk, the man bleeds White Sox. I also think that Hawk and Stone will butt heads!

Hawk will push Stoney's buttons at different times of course, but Stone is a professional and he does a good job avoiding conflict. As for DJ, I think he'll do a good job on radio as his personality will come out more.

downstairs
02-27-2009, 11:28 AM

I like him in small doses, but can't really listen to him anywhere near 162 games/year.

Does anyone have an old relative who tells the same stories over and over and over and over again? Or that just seems fixated on being angry about something- and telling you over and over- for years?

I love his excitement, but on those fairly frequent occations when the Sox didn't just hit a home run or win a game, he's just too much.

He wants to be a storyteller, but we've heard the same darn stories for 20+ years! And he certainly has no new ones that involve players from this era.

Nellie_Fox
02-27-2009, 12:21 PM
I always liked DJ and Farmio, for that matter. I think they compliment each other nicely.Well, it may good that they say nice things about each other, but it is even more important if they complement each other. :wink:

BleacherBandit
02-27-2009, 12:33 PM
Maybe it's because I just started watching most of the games on TV, or becuase I'm not impatient with anyone in particular, but I can stand Hawk. DJ was ok too. I don't know what people were complaining about.

RedPinStripes
02-27-2009, 07:58 PM
Hawk will push Stoney's buttons at different times of course, but Stone is a professional and he does a good job avoiding conflict. As for DJ, I think he'll do a good job on radio as his personality will come out more.

Not sure about that. Stone is one of the biggest smart asses you'll ever hear. He'll get his jabs in quietly and it will drive Hawk nuts.

EnglishChiSox
02-27-2009, 10:39 PM
Not sure about that. Stone is one of the biggest smart asses you'll ever hear. He'll get his jabs in quietly and it will drive Hawk nuts.

I am not going to watch a Sox game all season without thinking of the other Steve Stone (http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40050000/jpg/_40050471_stoneceleb_pa300x245.jpg). :redface:

I enjoyed Farmer and DJ on the radio the other day, quite a good partnership but it did get awkward when DJ called him Eddie, let's hope he doesn't take it too far. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXhnzIO5N30)

slavko
02-28-2009, 12:24 AM

Steve did manage to persevere in all those years of being treated like s-word by Harry. Being a pro with Hawk should be a walk in the park after that. I'll bet you a dozen Krispy Kremes.

whitesox901
02-28-2009, 01:46 AM
Back when the top play archives video was doing Farmer w/ the video, I really liked his calls, but I don't get Sox Radio so I'll never know what the combo is, but its not like I'm losing sleep over it or anything

soxinem1
02-28-2009, 02:34 PM
Hawk will push Stoney's buttons at different times of course, but Stone is a professional and he does a good job avoiding conflict.

He better. They are going to be cellmates for six years.

DoItForDanPasqua
03-01-2009, 01:02 AM
I miss John Rooney!! I'll trade Farmer for a broken bat and a bag of BP balls if we could get Rooney back. Then it wouldn't matter who else is in the booth with Rooney just like it didn't matter from 87/88ish through the magical 2005.

Agreed. Rooney is one of the best announcers I've ever heard.

Region Rat
03-01-2009, 06:51 AM
I would have thought that Farmer and DJ together would be god-awful, but Im glad to hear that you guys don't think its too bad.
I have 10 days left in this deployment!!!!!!:bandance::bandance::bandance:
So I'll be headed back to Texass and will be able to hear em on XM.

Sad
03-03-2009, 12:17 PM
I would have thought that Farmer and DJ together would be god-awful, but Im glad to hear that you guys don't think its too bad.
I have 10 days left in this deployment!!!!!!:bandance::bandance::bandance:
So I'll be headed back to Texass and will be able to hear em on XM.

well some things never change...
the 2nd broadcast of the year and Farmer's already harping on the "Sunglasses on the cap" shtick...
to which I agree but talk about:

:deadhorse: