PDA

View Full Version : Why is Lee Smith not in the Hall of Fame?

PKalltheway
02-25-2009, 09:06 PM
I was watching Prime 9 the other night on MLB Network, and they had Lee Smith listed as one of their nine best players not in the Hall of Fame. I have always wondered why he isn't in? I'm too young to remember his prime, I only vaguely remember the very end of his career with the Expos. My Dad is a huge Cubs fan, and he always would go on about how great and intimidating of a closer he was.

How is it that someone who was once the all time leader in saves for about 10 years not in the Hall of Fame? I figured many of the posters who are older than me, and remember when he was in his prime could elaborate more on this....

Eddo144
02-26-2009, 09:31 AM
Short answer: even idiot sportswriters understand that saves a the most ridiculous stat there is.

Longer answer: Smith was never really as dominant as other relievers who are in, like Eckersley and Gossage. He probably isn't as good as someone who quickly fell off the ballot, Dan Quisenberry. Voters use the perfectly valid reasoning that if you only pitch less than 100 innings per season, those had better be incredibly dominant innings.

I think it's good that Smith's not in. He's simply not good enough.

PatK
02-26-2009, 11:20 AM
Short answer: even idiot sportswriters understand that saves a the most ridiculous stat there is.

Longer answer: Smith was never really as dominant as other relievers who are in, like Eckersley and Gossage. He probably isn't as good as someone who quickly fell off the ballot, Dan Quisenberry. Voters use the perfectly valid reasoning that if you only pitch less than 100 innings per season, those had better be incredibly dominant innings.

Smith pitched in an era where you expected more than 1 inning out of your closer.

I big to differ that Smith wasn't dominant. He was, but not for a long period like you'd expect. His ERA also isn't that great for a closer.

Craig Grebeck
02-26-2009, 12:31 PM

I love me some Dan Quisenberry. One of the most underrated pitchers of all-time.

VeeckAsInWreck
02-26-2009, 03:36 PM
I love me some Dan Quisenberry. One of the most underrated pitchers of all-time.

I was always particular to side arm relievers and Quisenberry was one of my favorites.

When I was a kid my favorite side arm pitcher for the Sox was Terry Leach.

BTW, I agree that Lee Smith should be in the HOF.