PDA

View Full Version : WBC Final Rosters

anewman35
02-24-2009, 06:28 PM
http://web.worldbaseballclassic.com/rosters/index.jsp?season=2009&&sort=mlbclub

Should make the WBC haters happy - only 2 members of the Sox organization, tied for the fewest of any organization...

FedEx227
02-24-2009, 06:37 PM
Hooray.

Maybe next time all MLB organizations can tie for zero.

doublem23
02-24-2009, 06:39 PM
I'm bummed AJ didn't get chosen for Team USA... I would have liked a Pierzynski jersey, plus it would have been nice to open up some work for some of our younger catchers that need it more.

Domeshot17
02-24-2009, 06:42 PM
I'm bummed AJ didn't get chosen for Team USA... I would have liked a Pierzynski jersey, plus it would have been nice to open up some work for some of our younger catchers that need it more.

Nope! Don't you know any player who plays in the WBC will surely get hurt and possibly die and screw their teams chances to win the world series!

FedEx227
02-24-2009, 06:44 PM
Yes, and the risk of having one of my players getting hurt no matter who it is, no matter how rare it is, is not worth it for some stupid Buddy Boy dream.

You best believe if Grady Sizemore goes down the Indians are going to be less than thrilled.

It's a stupid event that nobody really cares about and runs a stupid unnecessary risk for any player involved.

At least Nick Punto and Chris Denorfia will be able to make their home country of Italy proud! Especially considering their from San Diego and Bristol respectively. Makes it even MORE special.

soltrain21
02-24-2009, 07:30 PM
I'm just glad Stubby Clapp is back on my television.

anewman35
02-24-2009, 07:53 PM
You best believe if Grady Sizemore goes down the Indians are going to be less than thrilled.

As opposed to how they'd feel if he got hurt during Spring Training...

EnglishChiSox
02-24-2009, 08:42 PM
Half the Aussies Roster plays for the Twinkies or The Phillies.

Does anyone know if the DH will be used? Can't find anything on it :scratch:

BleacherBandit
02-24-2009, 09:26 PM
I'm just glad Stubby Clapp is back on my television.

Captain Stubby?! :redneck

munchman33
02-24-2009, 09:36 PM
That's a lot of major league players on team's rosters for an event that major league players didn't want to or have to play in.

doublem23
02-24-2009, 09:46 PM
That's a lot of major league players on team's rosters for an event that major league players didn't want to or have to play in.

There's also quite a few who turned the WBC down, too. You can't look at these rosters and say this is a competition of the best baseball players in the world. Still, I hope the WBC grows. One day this might be a big deal, but today... Not really.

WhiteSox5187
02-24-2009, 10:07 PM
Yes, and the risk of having one of my players getting hurt no matter who it is, no matter how rare it is, is not worth it for some stupid Buddy Boy dream.

It's a stupid event that nobody really cares about and runs a stupid unnecessary risk for any player involved.

At least Nick Punto and Chris Denorfia will be able to make their home country of Italy proud! Especially considering their from San Diego and Bristol respectively. Makes it even MORE special.
You know there is as much a risk of players getting hurt in the meaningless Spring Training games that are played as well. Christ, players can get hurt stretching!

I like the WBC but I think playing it in March is stupid, given time I think it can be a rather big event. But I think the owners and Selig's stupidity/stubbornness will kill it.

anewman35
02-24-2009, 10:07 PM
Does anyone know if the DH will be used? Can't find anything on it :scratch:

Yes.

Lip Man 1
02-24-2009, 11:08 PM
Only one Sox guy of any importance, Thornton. It could have been worse...a LOT worse but that's still one guy to many for my taste.

Based on Kenny's very measured comments about this in the past, I have no doubt he doesn't like it in the slightest and has worked quietly to discourage his players from participating.

WELL DONE KENNY!

Lip

getonbckthr
02-24-2009, 11:20 PM

Speak for yourself. I enjoy it.

EuroSox35
02-24-2009, 11:31 PM
I love the World Cup in soccer and I'm going to enjoy this version for baseball. What else is there, the joke of the Olympics? People act as if Selig is forcing players or other countries to participate. Sure it has holes the first couple times it's ever happening, I'm sure it'll be more well rounded 20 years from now. This could actually be history before our eyes since we're seeing the first editions. Stop with the ethnocentrism, some people/players/fans actually have pride in their nations that they mix with other interests in life like sports and welcome this sort of thing

WhiteSoxFan84
02-24-2009, 11:34 PM
Speak for yourself. I enjoy it.

As do I.

It's baseball. What happened to all of you "baseball fans"?

And as two people already pointed out, you can get hurt during Spring Training games as well as ST DRILLS.

BigP50
02-24-2009, 11:58 PM
whatever I don't want our players to get hurt anyway.

WhiteSox5187
02-25-2009, 12:06 AM
Out of curiosity, don't European soccer teams have a fear that their star players could get hurt in the World Cup? But it doesn't stop their players from playing! But, even the World Cup wasn't that big of a hit right away, christ, the World Series wasn't! Hopefully this thing will grow into a world cup of baseball, but kinks need to be worked out and I just don't see Bud Selig admitting to making any flaws ever.

DSpivack
02-25-2009, 12:16 AM
Out of curiosity, don't European soccer teams have a fear that their star players could get hurt in the World Cup? But it doesn't stop their players from playing! But, even the World Cup wasn't that big of a hit right away, christ, the World Series wasn't! Hopefully this thing will grow into a world cup of baseball, but kinks need to be worked out and I just don't see Bud Selig admitting to making any flaws ever.

Many soccer teams do have issues when it comes to international games played by their players. FIFA, the sport's world governing body, has rules pertaining to international games [this is much more than the World Cup itself; qualifying and local tournaments and more], but there is a still a back and forth between national bodies, players, and teams. Obviously the teams don't want their players playing and interrupting their team play [qualifiers are on set dates that may not directly interfere with games, but that often means players aren't fit to play in their team's games that week]. So, the comparison may be apt--but in both cases, teams have the same interests.

Also, the WBC is not the World Cup. The WBC is a gimmick invention by Selig that may or may not prove to be successful. The World Cup is the world's most popular sporting event [yes, better ratings than the Olympics; and, no, many people around the world don't watch the Super Bowl], and is a 70-year old institution. Maybe the WBC will last, but it has a long way to go.

Nellie_Fox
02-25-2009, 01:15 AM
As opposed to how they'd feel if he got hurt during Spring Training...

You know there is as much a risk of players getting hurt in the meaningless Spring Training games that are played as well. Christ, players can get hurt stretching! And they'd at least get hurt doing what they are being paid to do, and doing it for the people who are paying them. Getting hurt in the WBC is simply stupid, and playing "meaningful" games instead of getting yourself into playing condition increases the likelihood.

This is time that should be spent getting ready with their own teams.

FedEx227
02-25-2009, 01:50 AM

The potential for getting seriously hurt is baseball far exceeds the potential in soccer, especially pitchers and especially when it doesn't mean anything.

Does it really make you as an American feel better if we win this thing? Will there be a ton of civic pride because our group of players beat Japan's group of players?

If anything do a post-season World Series champ vs. Japanese champion or Caribe Series champion or something, because it's pretty much a competition between the USA, Venezuela, Dominican, Japan and possibly Mexico. Somehow I don't think the South African, Italian or Russian teams are going to put up much of a fight.

WhiteSoxFan84
02-25-2009, 01:56 AM
And they'd at least get hurt doing what they are being paid to do, and doing it for the people who are paying them. Getting hurt in the WBC is simply stupid, and playing "meaningful" games instead of getting yourself into playing condition increases the likelihood.

This is time that should be spent getting ready with their own teams.

Would you rather a guy get hurt participating in the WBC or get hurt "washing his truck" (Jeff Kent)? Because you'll get more "strange offseason" injuries than WBC injuries.

FedEx227
02-25-2009, 01:58 AM
Why do people keep bringing up other examples of getting hurt? We get it. Guys can get hurt doing anything, it doesn't change the fact that the WBC is completely worthless to a majority of these players. It doesn't mean anything on a national level, absolutely nothing.

This would have been an amazing idea 30-40 years ago, today it's incredibly worthless with as much mixing of different countries in the MLB. We can already see a majority of these players on a daily basis.

So in turn the injury factor is kinda important. Yeah, Grady Sizemore can get hurt in ST, but I think teams would be more accepting of that, then Sizemore getting hurt in the 6th inning of a 12-1 blowout of team Netherlands.

Nellie_Fox
02-25-2009, 02:38 AM
Would you rather a guy get hurt participating in the WBC or get hurt "washing his truck" (Jeff Kent)? Because you'll get more "strange offseason" injuries than WBC injuries.Would I rather get nibbled to death by ducks, or poked in the eye repeatedly with a sharp stick? Neither.

And this is a false choice, because their team isn't given the choice; if they were I'm sure they'd say "neither" as well. You don't seriously think there is an equal chance of getting injured while washing your truck. It's the very strangeness of it that made it newsworthy (and made people suspect that something else really happened.)

Lip Man 1
02-25-2009, 10:24 AM
Hillarious:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-090224wbcpoll,0,5727913.poll

Lip

russ99
02-25-2009, 10:29 AM
IMO, the World Baseball Craptacular is meaningless. Did we really care when USA lost last time?

To me this is a bogus invention by Bud to spread the many-tentacled marketing arm of MLB into other countries, and to try and sell more merchandise.

The actual baseball is secondary.

JohnTucker0814
02-25-2009, 10:37 AM
Here's what I think they should do... I love the event, btw!

First & Second round games to be played at the END of March, once Spring Training is starting to wrap up, and the added competition may be a benefit for these players...

Then the final round of 4 teams plays during the playoffs. There are always days that Bud likes to give off during the playoffs, and instead of no baseball on T.V. that's when the Finals of the WBC can be played, with the Final Championship game being played the day before the World Series...

Just my two cents!

beasly213
02-25-2009, 11:10 AM
Here's what I think they should do... I love the event, btw!

First & Second round games to be played at the END of March, once Spring Training is starting to wrap up, and the added competition may be a benefit for these players...

Then the final round of 4 teams plays during the playoffs. There are always days that Bud likes to give off during the playoffs, and instead of no baseball on T.V. that's when the Finals of the WBC can be played, with the Final Championship game being played the day before the World Series...

Just my two cents!

But what if the players on those teams are playing in the World Series?? :scratch:

That being said I enjoy watching the WBC.

areilly
02-25-2009, 11:20 AM
I bet Matt Thornton drops dead on the field, that's how bad the WBC is. Voodoo gobbldigook, the whole lot of it! In my day, players never got hurt and Spring Training games went 20 innings if they had to!

JohnTucker0814
02-25-2009, 11:27 AM
But what if the players on those teams are playing in the World Series?? :scratch:

That being said I enjoy watching the WBC.

Alternates for players that are in the WS...

LoveYourSuit
02-25-2009, 11:31 AM

Not worried about AJ getting hurt or anything, but looking at the in-experienc at the C position we have backing him up, the less amount of stressful miles we put on those knees the better it is for us. We need AJ for min 140 games this season.

AZChiSoxFan
02-26-2009, 12:08 PM
but I think teams would be more accepting of that, then Sizemore getting hurt in the 6th inning of a 12-1 blowout of team Netherlands.

If the US is only ahead of the Netherlands 12-1 in the 6th, then I will be worried.

Count me in the group that really likes this event and is looking forward to it.

AZChiSoxFan
02-26-2009, 12:10 PM
Hillarious:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-090224wbcpoll,0,5727913.poll

Lip

Lip, I think your day would have been more productive if you hadn't wasted it by voting in that poll over and over again. :tongue:

Michstate45
02-26-2009, 01:15 PM
IMO, the World Baseball Craptacular is meaningless. Did we really care when USA lost last time?

To me this is a bogus invention by Bud to spread the many-tentacled marketing arm of MLB into other countries, and to try and sell more merchandise.

The actual baseball is secondary.

I disagree. I think baseball has turned into a worldwide sport over the years and is now following the lead of similar sports that are played in many parts of the globe such as hockey, soccer, golf, tennis, and basketball.

I can't wait for the year where a guy like Miguel Cabrera or Alex Rodriguez has a sizzling April and credits playing in the WBC for getting him into mid-season form so early, saying that it was much more competitive and beneficial than snoozing through the motions in spring training games. Because let's be honest, if we are going to keep on bringing up the scenario of a guy getting hurt when playing in this thing, then you have to bring up the other possibility as well.

EnglishChiSox
02-26-2009, 02:33 PM
I disagree. I think baseball has turned into a worldwide sport over the years and is now following the lead of similar sports that are played in many parts of the globe such as hockey, soccer, golf, tennis, and basketball.

I can't wait for the year where a guy like Miguel Cabrera or Alex Rodriguez has a sizzling April and credits playing in the WBC for getting him into mid-season form so early, saying that it was much more competitive and beneficial than snoozing through the motions in spring training games. Because let's be honest, if we are going to keep on bringing up the scenario of a guy getting hurt when playing in this thing, then you have to bring up the other possibility as well.
Hockey is only just ahead of Baseball, yeah Eastern and Northern Europe play it more but it's not like there are hundreds of international players from all over the world (Using the Soccer comparison)

I like the format and the idea, just not the timing but a huge season combined with baseball needing certain conditions to be played means it can't be played any other time.

Lip Man 1
02-26-2009, 04:07 PM
AZ:
:D:

Well played!

Actually I did try to vote a second time but it won't let you do that.

Lip

Nellie_Fox
02-26-2009, 04:14 PM
AZ:
:D:

Well played!

Actually I did try to vote a second time but it won't let you do that.

LipI voted for you.

sox1970
02-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Sizemore bailed.

EnglishChiSox
02-27-2009, 07:16 PM
Victorino in for Grady, I saw the news about Sizemore and I wondered who would replace him, I thought of Victorino and a few hours later it was confimed. Either I'm psychic or it's very obvious.

FedEx227
02-27-2009, 07:18 PM
Sizemore bailed.

Good plan.

munchman33
02-27-2009, 07:24 PM
Good plan.

He's injured. An injury he suffered in training camp during a game. Maybe we should do away with spring training games. And practice.

Let's just let the players show up April first from now on and go at it, shall we?

FedEx227
02-27-2009, 07:26 PM
I'm sure the Indians would rather his injury come in a worthless Buddy Boy dream-land representing his country with the best half All-Stars they could find that actually wanted to pitch 3 innings a time in this stupid thing.

But cool, keep using that same stupid ass logic that we all said is worthless.

It's not just the injury factor, it's the fact that the whole thing doesn't mean ANYTHING. Nobody cares which country wins.

Practice has always been around, practice is necessary.

Playing in a tournament where half of the worlds stars have bowed out and a majority of the pitchers will only pitch 2-3 innings is not necessary.

PKalltheway
02-27-2009, 10:23 PM
I'll definitely be watching the WBC. Everybody else can say what they want, but I enjoyed watching it last time, and I will watch it again.

Rdy2PlayBall
02-27-2009, 10:31 PM
You can basically add Quentin and Danks, but they didn't want to. :rolleyes:

munchman33
02-27-2009, 10:53 PM
I'm sure the Indians would rather his injury come in a worthless Buddy Boy dream-land representing his country with the best half All-Stars they could find that actually wanted to pitch 3 innings a time in this stupid thing.

But cool, keep using that same stupid ass logic that we all said is worthless.

It's not just the injury factor, it's the fact that the whole thing doesn't mean ANYTHING. Nobody cares which country wins.

Practice has always been around, practice is necessary.

Playing in a tournament where half of the worlds stars have bowed out and a majority of the pitchers will only pitch 2-3 innings is not necessary.

I care about it. So it matters. You might disagree. But you are in the minority of fans and players. The bulk of stars not playing have done so due to pre-existing injuries or because they're getting acclimated to new teams. Not because they don't think it matters.

HomeFish
02-28-2009, 01:18 AM
This matters to a lot of players, especially those not from the US. Here in the US, we don't take international sports seriously, but in other countries it is huge. From what I remember of the last WBC, everyone's reaction was "oh, this is going to be terrible", and then it actually turned out to be very enjoyable.

I'd rather have my player play in the WBC than ride dirtbikes, that's for sure.

Nellie_Fox
02-28-2009, 01:23 AM
He's injured. An injury he suffered in training camp during a game. Maybe we should do away with spring training games. And practice.He got injured working for the people who are paying him huge dollars to do so, not playing for "a country" that shares none of the financial risk involved.

I care about it. So it matters. You might disagree. But you are in the minority of fans and players. Do you have any facts to back that up? Pretty much everything I've seen shows that very few fans care about the WBC. When I talk baseball with my co-workers, everything is about the upcoming MLB season; not a soul has brought up the WBC.

Michstate45
02-28-2009, 01:55 AM
I don't see how the "club" can ever come before the "country". If it wasn't for the country, there would be no clubs...period.

If it wasn't for little league and public school baseball programs, a lot of these athletes would have never even participated in baseball.

I think the athletes owe more to their country then they do to their club. Without their country, they would have never had a chance to be where they are in the first place.

Nellie_Fox
02-28-2009, 02:08 AM
I don't see how the "club" can ever come before the "country". If it wasn't for the country, there would be no clubs...period.

If it wasn't for little league and public school baseball programs, a lot of these athletes would have never even participated in baseball.

I think the athletes owe more to their country then they do to their club. Without their country, they would have never had a chance to be where they are in the first place.There are a lot of very good players from the Dominican Republic. Do you really want to argue that their country helped them become pro ballplayers? That they owe more to the DR than to major league teams that have made them wildly wealthy?

Your argument simply doesn't hold water. Winning ball games for the team that is paying them the huge money helps that team recoup that investment. Winning baseball games doesn't do a damn thing for their country. You want to do something because you "owe" something to your country? Join the Army. Join the Peace Corps. But don't pretend that playing baseball for them, while being paid by a privately-owned company, is somehow patriotic.

Michstate45
02-28-2009, 05:19 PM
There are a lot of very good players from the Dominican Republic. Do you really want to argue that their country helped them become pro ballplayers? That they owe more to the DR than to major league teams that have made them wildly wealthy?

I don't know if the DR atheltes feel like they owe the DR something or not, but they certainly had no problem getting their stars to represent them in the competition. Heck A-Fraud chose to play for the DR over the USA. You don't think he feels some sort of national pride towards his home country?

Your argument simply doesn't hold water. Winning ball games for the team that is paying them the huge money helps that team recoup that investment. Winning baseball games doesn't do a damn thing for their country. You want to do something because you "owe" something to your country? Join the Army. Join the Peace Corps. But don't pretend that playing baseball for them, while being paid by a privately-owned company, is somehow patriotic.

Representing your country in competition is not patriotic? That argument doesn't hold water.

You guys can continue to see the $$$ if you want. Life isn't all about money and sponsorships. Sometimes it's about sport and pride. I pay good money for tickets and merchandise and I expect to see the player perform during the season. However, I refuse to treat them like caged animals. If they want to play a handful of extra games at the beginning of the season with their countrymates, I fully support that.

Nellie_Fox
03-01-2009, 01:30 AM
You guys can continue to see the $$$ if you want. Life isn't all about money and sponsorships. Sometimes it's about sport and pride.Please tell me that you don't think these guys would play for "patriotism" if their contracts with their pro clubs weren't guaranteed.

If there was a clause in their contracts that said they would not get paid for any time missed due to injury incurred in the WBC, how many do you think would play?

FedEx227
03-01-2009, 09:41 AM
I care about it. So it matters. You might disagree. But you are in the minority of fans and players. The bulk of stars not playing have done so due to pre-existing injuries or because they're getting acclimated to new teams. Not because they don't think it matters.

Well according to most polls I've seen I'm in the majority.

areilly
03-01-2009, 01:04 PM
Well according to most polls I've seen I'm in the majority.

That you are.

That said, I'm excited. No, it doesn't resonate as deeply as the regular season but hey, you know what? It's baseball. Competitive baseball. Not "Jon Garland serving up cutters he hasn't quite figured out to Sox prospects" baseball, but actual baseball. Being played. This week. As a spectator and fan of the sport, I look forward to it.

If I had a hat, I'd tip it to the participants for not having the same level of paranoid fear a lot of people around here seem to.

areilly
03-02-2009, 12:04 PM
Nathan and Ryan are out. Thornton's career is obviously over:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/worldclassic2009/news/story?id=3945363

cub killer
03-02-2009, 10:37 PM
Holding the WBC should be contingent on whether the top stars will play. If they can't, then forget it. Too bad it's too late to cancel this thing, but if you schedule a party and no one shows, you should just cancel it and do something better with your time than being in an empty party. Same principle with the WBC.

I'd say.... Have only teams representing the top 8 baseball nations. Let them begin to train much earlier, like in January. As part of their training, let them barnstorm against MLB teams throughout March. Then, for the week before the regular season begins, that's when you have a single elimination quarterfinal tournament for the world title. Then pitchers can actually pitch, rather than have a 3 inning limit. Part of the drama of competitive games is when a pitcher puts his team on his shoulders (Jack Morris) and leads them to victory. The 3 inning limit kills the drama, as does the absence of A-list players.

Nellie_Fox
03-03-2009, 01:19 AM
I'd say.... Have only teams representing the top 8 baseball nations. Let them begin to train much earlier, like in January. As part of their training, let them barnstorm against MLB teams throughout March. Then, for the week before the regular season begins, that's when you have a single elimination quarterfinal tournament for the world title.Are you serious? First of all, how much money do you think these guys would demand to add another couple of months to their schedule? Secondly, would you want the top players on the Sox beginning their season in January? How exhausted would they be by October?

cub killer
03-03-2009, 02:24 AM
Are you serious? First of all, how much money do you think these guys would demand to add another couple of months to their schedule? Secondly, would you want the top players on the Sox beginning their season in January? How exhausted would they be by October?

The point is to see World Series-like competition between national teams. If they wanna do this before the season starts, they would need about a 2 or 3 week head start to the rest of MLB. How many Sox would be involved in an 8-team tournament? Not too many. Those that do can be eased into the MLB season.

This is the smallest price to pay for a world baseball competition than any other options out there. The present format is ridiculous. It's an international competition (which is supposed to be taken seriously) played with mid-spring training preparation. Do pitchers have 3 inning limits in the World Series? Hell no. If the WBC isn't going to be played with World Series seriousness, then it shouldn't be played at all.

The WBC is turning out to be no better than the Baseball World Cup. What a waste of time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_World_Cup