PDA

View Full Version : Tigers Payroll

hawkjt
02-24-2009, 02:44 AM
I saw this feature on Gary Sheffield and the Tigers tonite on ESPN..and they were talking about how some teams would be looking to trade expensive players by mid-june if they are not contending, or sooner if the economy continues to fail. They cited the Tigers as a possiblity and listed their top 6 salaries...
Maggs 18 million
Cabrera 18 million
Sheff 14 million
Guillen 10 million
Bonderman 10 million
Willis 10 million

Fricking 80 million for 6 players...and sheff is 40 years old,Willis is a question mark,Bonderman is coming off injury...frankly, I prefer the Sox salary structure and roster right now. Of course I suppose they could come out of the box strong and they will look smart but I have a feeling it could get ugly with Leyland and his high priced roster if they start slow.

Sheffeild says his shoulder is healthy so maybe he has a big comeback...what a great sport to be making 14 million at age 40. :D:

WhiteSoxFan84
02-24-2009, 02:59 AM
No 'roids make Sheffield no good.

Oblong
02-24-2009, 07:34 AM
I seriously doubt the Tigers do any kind of salary dump. Ordonez has team options for 2010 and 2011 that kick in automatically with 124 games played or 457 PA this year. Sheffield's in the last year of his deal so if he's playing well but the team is not then they could move him I guess, but I wouldn't call that a salary dump when a guy's in the final year of a deal. And if he's playing well then chances are the team is doing well enough to think they have a shot.

Guillen's signed through 2011 and will be making $13 million in those final 2 years. He's untradable. Can't play SS anymore. He's going into LF this year because there's nowhere else to put him. Willis and Nate Robertson are also signed through 2011 and again, if they are attractive to others then that probably means the Tigers are doing well because it means they are doing well.

The Tigers have $95 million tied up in 9 guys for 2010 (Ordonez, Guillen, Cabrera, Bonderman, Willis, Inge, Robertson, Porcello, Granderson). Plus whatever Verlander gets in arbitration or in a new deal.

So, in a nutshell I see lots of contracts that they'd like to move but without eating a portion of it I don't see the demand. If the demand is there then I think it goes hand in ahnd with the team at that point not being willing to trade them.

esbrechtel
02-24-2009, 10:53 AM
As upset as I was last year about Hunter right now I am so happy he didn't sign here....

Chez
02-24-2009, 11:50 AM
I expect the Tigers to have a bounce back year and won't be looking to dump salary at the deadline.

Jim Shorts
02-24-2009, 12:38 PM
It seems they're paying Dontrelle Willis 10 million to stay away from the ball park.

Tragg
02-24-2009, 12:59 PM
I think the Tigers will have a good year too (them and us for the Division) but I also think that won't be enough for them not to try to dump some of those salaries.

But no one will want them.

hawkjt
02-24-2009, 02:11 PM
I suppose that their owners main business, pizza, is recession proof so he can swallow hard and have a big payroll this year,plus, the tigers continue to draw well, I believe.

Oblong..you know the total payroll number for the Tigers?

If they win the division, it will be worth it,no doubt. But if they do not, it will be like Yankees 08,redux.

Oblong
02-24-2009, 02:55 PM
I have it around $126 million, based on information from Cot's. (http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/detroit-tigers_21.html)

Last year's was $137,685,196, based on the same site.

One thing Mike Ilitch did with his pizza business is start up a food service distribution company. So now he sells pizza franchises to people, gets his cut from that, then sells the product to them. He also has the Red Wings and Olympia Entertainment which includes some theater/entertainment venues. Their business is privately held and they do not release very many figures, if at all, so it's hard to guage how well off he is. But he's never been shy about spending money. He's getting up there in age too.

Dombrowski said they were maxed out though. Ticket renewals were referred to recently as "challenging" by the team's business VP.

soxinem1
02-24-2009, 06:07 PM
I expect the Tigers to have a bounce back year and won't be looking to dump salary at the deadline.

I think they will be alot better than many think.

One, they will score some runs. They did with Renteria and Sheffield MIA most of the year.

Two, they won 74 games with 0 wins from Willis and Bonderman. They could easilly get 15 apiece.

Defensively they are a little slow, but that didn't stop us in 2008.

The Immigrant
02-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Verlander needs to bounce back big time for the Tigers to contend, which could very easily happen. The bullpen should be Oblong's main concern.

Oblong
02-24-2009, 08:43 PM
I think they will be alot better than many think.

One, they will score some runs. They did with Renteria and Sheffield MIA most of the year.

Two, they won 74 games with 0 wins from Willis and Bonderman. They could easilly get 15 apiece.

Defensively they are a little slow, but that didn't stop us in 2008.

I believe the defense is going to be the biggest reason for a turnaround, if Everett can stay healthy at SS. Having him with Inge over there on the left side will mean a ton. Renteria had absolutely no range, he was good for one step each way. I watched so many balls get through. That affects the pitchers beyond just having a guy on base. I don't know what makes a great defensive catcher (I don't pay any attention to SB%) but Laird is considered a good one too.

I think the Central's a 3 team race between Chicago, Cleveland, and Detroit.

Nellie_Fox
02-25-2009, 12:20 AM
...Willis and Bonderman. They could easilly get 15 apiece.Willis has gotten markedly worse each of the last three seasons. What makes you think he could "easily" get 15 wins this year, when he's gone 12, 10, and 0 wins the last three years?

They're taking a guy who couldn't throw a strike to save his life last year, and trying to completely rebuild his approach to the game. His herky-jerky motion, with the ball appearing out of a tangle of arms and legs, was what made him successful. Once hitters discovered that they could just wait him out and make him throw strikes, he was dead in the water.

I'll be amazed if he's even effective this year, much less a 15 game winner.

DumpJerry
02-25-2009, 06:59 AM
Willis has gotten markedly worse each of the last three seasons. What makes you think he could "easily" get 15 wins this year, when he's gone 12, 10, and 0 wins the last three years?

They're taking a guy who couldn't throw a strike to save his life last year, and trying to completely rebuild his approach to the game. His herky-jerky motion, with the ball appearing out of a tangle of arms and legs, was what made him successful. Once hitters discovered that they could just wait him out and make him throw strikes, he was dead in the water.

I'll be amazed if he's even effective this year, much less a 15 game winner.
That's pretty much what I said when the Kitties acquired him last year. He was struggling in the NL, I figured the AL would eat him up like a starving person given a sandwich.

NLaloosh
02-25-2009, 10:16 AM
You're kidding me, right?

15 wins from Willis ? Not a chance. I would bet that he never wins 10 again, atleast not in the A.L.

The central is a 3-team race - Chi, Cleve and Det. ? No Minnesota?

soxinem1
02-25-2009, 01:21 PM
You're kidding me, right?

15 wins from Willis ? Not a chance. I would bet that he never wins 10 again, atleast not in the A.L.

The central is a 3-team race - Chi, Cleve and Det. ? No Minnesota?

My point is that it wouldn't suprise me if he rebounded.

Willis has the history of winning. Sure, he could win five games. But I think he'll be serviceable for them, at minimum.

I watched ST video of him yesterday on MLB Network and noticed three things:

1. He was slightly slimmer.
2. The big leg kick was smaller and not as jerky.
3. He was throwing BB's for strikes.

It looks as if their new pitching coach smoothed out his mechanics. We shall see if it lasts.

There have been a lot of guys who lost effectiveness then recovered. He's not one of these stubborn jerks who refuse input from others.

At the very least, I think they can count on him for double-digits in wins. Same for Bonderman. I think both of them combined add ten wins to DET's total from last year if they take at least 30 turns in the rotation, which at a minimum, puts them in the race for the Central.

JC24
02-25-2009, 01:42 PM
No 'roids make Sheffield no good.Agree, he once looked like Bonds. The skinny Bonds that is, now he looks like, well......the Bonds of today.

whitesox901
02-25-2009, 04:59 PM
Eh, I'm not expecting much of Detroit. Bonderman, Jackson, Minor and Robertson are average at best , Verlander is really good but that's it. I think Galarraga will have a sophmore slump, and then you have D-Train who I think is done for. I think the offense was weakend when they bulsterd the Defense with Everette and Laird, I think those two with Inge is a black-hole in the line-up. So the have good defense..but nothing much else, wouldn't suprise me if they finish last agian.

jabrch
02-25-2009, 05:04 PM
Detroit is stinky. By default, the Tigers are stinky. If there is any justice in the world, they will not win anything....again...and will still have nearly 100mm committed in to a few players going into next season.

whitesox901
02-25-2009, 06:48 PM
Detroit is stinky. By default, the Tigers are stinky. If there is any justice in the world, they will not win anything....again...and will still have nearly 100mm committed in to a few players going into next season.

Agreed