PDA

View Full Version : CBSSports.com previews White Sox

thomas35forever
02-23-2009, 05:43 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/11412251

DSpivack
02-23-2009, 06:13 PM
What a dumb article. Sounds like this guy is either ignorant about the White Sox team, has something against them, or both.

Window closing? They're not even that old of a team now.

russ99
02-24-2009, 11:39 AM
What a dumb article. Sounds like this guy is either ignorant about the White Sox team, has something against them, or both.

On paper, he's right. We're not like the Red Sox, having kids come up from the system and excelling and then filling in with quality major league players.

And we do still have gaping holes at 3B, 2B, CF and 2 starting spots. Hopefully which will be filled with players who will perform well this season.

It may turn out that the Sox have enough to contend, or it may not. It's a crapshoot. Even our veterans (other than Buerhle, Dye and A.J.) are iffy and need healthy bounceback seasons. Plus the guys who carried the team last year are all entering their second full MLB season, and we don't know if they can equal or better their performance.

And who's to say the one of the teams in the division that look better on paper will run away with it. If the Sox play well enough, we could be over .500 and in the mix for the Wild Card, but as constructed I don't see them winning the 89-90 games it will take to win the division, unless we end up with a few rookie of the year candidates.

Blueprint1
02-24-2009, 12:06 PM
It is very difficult to make predictions at this point. The sox have question marks this is true. Every other team in the division also does.

kittle42
02-24-2009, 12:18 PM
YES! This thread again! The most predictable responses this side of a CF debate! I love it!

Thome25
02-24-2009, 12:26 PM
I've said it a thousand times.....if the so-called "experts" don't like us then that's a GOOD thing. The teams they do end up liking usually fail anyway. It seems like every year a handful of teams jumps up and surprises everyone. Why not us? Did anyone expect a Rays-Phillies World Series in 2008?

thedudeabides
02-24-2009, 01:08 PM

What did you find so unfair about this article?

kittle42
02-24-2009, 01:24 PM

The usual, of course - the Sox weren't picked to win the World Series.

DSpivack
02-24-2009, 01:53 PM

His viewpoint seemed to be that the Sox are just a bunch of old guys ready to fall apart. He makes no mention of Floyd, Danks, or Ramirez, and lumps Quentin in with the group of aging veterans. Plus, this writer has a track of record of writing strictly negative things about the Sox.

kittle42
02-24-2009, 02:11 PM
His viewpoint seemed to be that the Sox are just a bunch of old guys ready to fall apart. He makes no mention of Floyd, Danks, or Ramirez, and lumps Quentin in with the group of aging veterans. Plus, this writer has a track of record of writing strictly negative things about the Sox.

I read that article twice, and you read a lot into it that really wasn't there. The point of the window closing, as I read it, was more Thome's window closing. Yes, he says "especially in Chicago" - because he says Thome, Dye, etc. may be gone in the fall if the Sox don't succeed in the early part of the season.

So where is the negativity? Man, some of you get nutty with this stuff.

02-26-2009, 09:57 AM
We never get any credit, but just like last year we proved our critics wrong. If Colon and Contreras are ready at the beginning of the year watch out.